REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-23-2024, 03:21 PM   #32951
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,148 Times in 186 Posts
Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Ive been watching townhouse prices in tri cities for last few months, i think the interest rates are finally starting to cause some damage

Lots of units sitting for months, this one for example, (may need zealty account to view - 2655 bedford st) and the price has been dropped for the 3rd time, 885k>835k over 4 months.
https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2917728/4...-Coquitlam-BC/

Hopefully this trend continues into 2025
That's close to my place, and we just had a pair of units sell recently near $1m. It's a nice area though, I'm pretty happy here, you basically have the river in your backyard, 10-15 minute walk to DT Poco (I know, what DT, but Patina & the annual car show), lots of young families, close to Coq. center, skytrain, West coast express.
Advertisement
immorality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 03:24 PM   #32952
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,871 Times in 5,632 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Ive been watching townhouse prices in tri cities for last few months, i think the interest rates are finally starting to cause some damage

Lots of units sitting for months, this one for example, (may need zealty account to view - 2655 bedford st) and the price has been dropped for the 3rd time, 885k>835k over 4 months.
https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2917728/4...-Coquitlam-BC/

Hopefully this trend continues into 2025
You can listen to this guy start his car every morning outside your bedroom... or make him listen to yours:

68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2024, 03:25 PM   #32953
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,884 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 192 Times in 119 Posts
Neighbour has a Corvette too, you can be bff's, I don't think th prices will drop much as the cost go get into detached is a huge jump, and money to space value is there. $800 is like crappy two bed high-rise price and you get like 700 sq?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 05:04 PM   #32954
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 3,989 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 32 Posts
you can also see in the aerial pics that he parks a big ass truck illegally on the grass next to the corvette. you know it's his, cause it blocks the corvette.

bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 08:43 PM   #32955
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 36 Times in 2 Posts
Is the "Den" just a walled off end of the tandem garage? Do you need strata approval for that kinda modification?

Lol Costco Artika ceiling fixtures:

Old 08-23-2024, 09:08 PM   #32956
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,576 Times in 2,536 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Neat to hear some of you are also into vinyl. My dad had some but I bought the first one for myself back in high school (Radiohead's Hail to the Theif) so I've been collecting for awhile. Fortunately my collection is still manageable in terms of storage. It helps now that vinyl are so much more expensive than they used to be.

I like to keep my impulse buys to $20 and under, unless it's something I've been searching for for a long time (like Madvillainy where I found randomly at the record store in Gibsons and had always been on my wishlist.) You can't find much for under $20 these days.

Nowadays if I do buy vinyl it's used vinyl from local shops.

Here's my setup and collection. Vintage Sony direct drive turntable I got from my dad's friend, old pioneer AVR for power (I have a vintage amp but this one is just more powerful and sounds better), and my dad's old JBL speakers that he gave to my bro that I'm just holding for him since he's in Asia.

The vintage console for off FB marketplace actually also has a supposedly working record player and speakers but I've never bothered to test it.

Lol I just remember had this record inside the vintage console I got from FB marketplace

What a banger, really gets the wife in the mood.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2024, 09:05 PM   #32957
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post
Is the "Den" just a walled off end of the tandem garage? Do you need strata approval for that kinda modification?
A townhouse strata is no different than a condo - you're supposed to notify the strata for any renovation to your unit as the strata is responsible for insuring your unit as it was built by the developer.

Turning half of the garage into a den is a pretty common renovation and most people don't disclose these types of renovations to the strata. The developers put in windows in the rear of these garages as almost a wink to future owners to turn the rear half into a living space.

This was poorly done... typically, garage drywall is not painted and only taped at the seams. Whoever did this couldn't even mud the seams properly and sand them down.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 12:25 PM   #32958
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
One of the things I need to do in our new house is change the locks. I know nothign about lock technology nowadays. Should I stick to an old fashioned deadbolt? Or are smart locks a thing that is worth installing? Thanks for edumacating me.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 12:35 PM   #32959
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,103 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
i bought weiser locks because they are easy to key alike yourself. locksmith and security guys say weiser sucks, but idk, it seems sufficient. i put a keypad on the garage door instead of a traditional lock so that in case i get locked out somehow i always have a way in. if you want a slightly higher end keypad consider schlage.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 12:46 PM   #32960
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
One of the things I need to do in our new house is change the locks. I know nothign about lock technology nowadays. Should I stick to an old fashioned deadbolt? Or are smart locks a thing that is worth installing? Thanks for edumacating me.
Depends on how secure you want it to be.

But re-keying for the whole house is not cheap. When I did mine, they ran about 400 a piece. I only had 3 done and made them keyalike.

I used Assa Abloy's products. Yes, anything can be picked given enough dedication and time.

But there are only a handful of people in the world who can pick it relatively fast.

Or just use Google/Yale where there's nothing to pick. Just reinforce the surroundings and you are good to go.

Last edited by Hehe; 08-27-2024 at 12:52 PM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 12:48 PM   #32961

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
There's different classes of locks. I installed dumb keypad locks on all the exterior doors. I enjoy not having to bring keys but I also don't trust smart locks.

I have two Yale and a Schlage. A locksmith friend recommended the Yales, and the Schlage is something that I was using before.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 12:51 PM   #32962
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post

Did they apply the mud to that wall with their hands before paint, no sanding required? I actually walked into a Commercial project once and witnessed this in progress, the GC wanted us to give them a price to fix it and I just laughed and said you're on your own well doing an exit stage left.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 12:57 PM   #32963
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,366 Times in 461 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Unless you are a high profile resident known for keeping large amounts of cash or valuables at home, most standard residential locks is all that is needed. Common thieves don't often pick locks.

Most thieves simply kick in a door or go in through an unlocked window or break a window.

If fearful of burglary, I would look more towards reinforcing door frames/jambs for added security. Best lock in the world is meaningless if the door/frame can't survive a few good kicks.

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6[/SIZE]
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2024, 01:23 PM   #32964
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,832 Times in 5,900 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Make sure ya install some nice long deck screws in the latch side as opposed to the dinky little 2” ones that typically come with it. Careful not to suck the frame away from the door though.
Old 08-27-2024, 01:24 PM   #32965

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Did they apply the mud to that wall with their hands before paint, no sanding required? I actually walked into a Commercial project once and witnessed this in progress, the GC wanted us to give them a price to fix it and I just laughed and said you're on your own well doing an exit stage left.
Given that expansion joint is still visible on the left there I’m assuming no mudding was done and they just painted the unfinished walls as they were
Old 08-27-2024, 02:58 PM   #32966
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
There's different classes of locks. I installed dumb keypad locks on all the exterior doors. I enjoy not having to bring keys but I also don't trust smart locks.

I have two Yale and a Schlage. A locksmith friend recommended the Yales, and the Schlage is something that I was using before.
Yeah I think I am leaning this way. I don't know how comfortable I am with the idea of having my locks connected to the interwebs.

If I install a dumb keypad lock on say one door, and just regular deadbolts on the other 2 doors, and they are different brands, how do I make it so they all use the same key?
Old 08-27-2024, 02:59 PM   #32967
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Make sure ya install some nice long deck screws in the latch side as opposed to the dinky little 2” ones that typically come with it. Careful not to suck the frame away from the door though.
How do you mean? You mean put screws in the door frame to reinforce the frame? Or are you referring to installing the locks?
Old 08-27-2024, 03:17 PM   #32968

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I think I am leaning this way. I don't know how comfortable I am with the idea of having my locks connected to the interwebs.

If I install a dumb keypad lock on say one door, and just regular deadbolts on the other 2 doors, and they are different brands, how do I make it so they all use the same key?
It depends on the cylinder they use. The lower end Schlages uses the same keys Weisers use. The basic keys are all the same but rekeying the cylinder is the question. I don't know anything about it, and honestly don't care if they do because I don't use keys for any of the outside doors anymore. For the cost of getting all of them rekeyed, you might as well just buy a keypad lock for all of them and have all the different keys on a keyring in the house or in the car.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 04:39 PM   #32969
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,023 Times in 787 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Depends on how secure you want it to be.

But re-keying for the whole house is not cheap. When I did mine, they ran about 400 a piece. I only had 3 done and made them keyalike.

I used Assa Abloy's products. Yes, anything can be picked given enough dedication and time.

But there are only a handful of people in the world who can pick it relatively fast.

Or just use Google/Yale where there's nothing to pick. Just reinforce the surroundings and you are good to go.
If you paid $400 per door to rekey then you got hustled hard. When we moved in to our place now it only cost me a case of IPA from a very good locksmith.

Edit:
I should add that in my case it was done more as a favour. Same locksmith does charge an arm and a leg for corporate enterprise level clients but not $400 in most cases.

Last edited by jing; 08-27-2024 at 05:22 PM.
jing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2024, 05:19 PM   #32970

Quote:
How do you mean? You mean put screws in the door frame to reinforce the frame? Or are you referring to installing the locks?
So on the frame side you’ve got the catch for the handset and the little square frame that the dead bolt slides into

If you remove the old screws that are typically 1.5-2” and replace them with some 3-3.5” heavier screws, in theory, these will reinforce the latch portion of your door. Basically it adds strength in the case of a door getting kicked in etc.

However if you’ve got a shitty door, if someone kicks the door in the lock portion will probably just stay latched and you’ll get a hole in your door
Old 08-27-2024, 07:21 PM   #32971
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
If you paid $400 per door to rekey then you got hustled hard. When we moved in to our place now it only cost me a case of IPA from a very good locksmith.

Edit:
I should add that in my case it was done more as a favour. Same locksmith does charge an arm and a leg for corporate enterprise level clients but not $400 in most cases.
Well, i don’t think my locksmith was particularly cheap or expensive. But the locks I installed were Abloy Protec 2. They aren’t cheap to come by at retail. No idea what it cost at wholesale though.

But they are really good though. I used them exclusively in my commercial properties and never had an issue. There were attempts, but never breached. Knock on wood.

Last edited by Hehe; 08-27-2024 at 07:27 PM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 07:30 PM   #32972
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,023 Times in 787 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
I'm no locksmith but know those aren't cheap. I thought you meant $400 was just for rekeying the cylinders. If new hardware is included then I retract what I said. 99% of homeowners won't know or spend the difference but then again you are a 1%er!
Old 08-27-2024, 09:35 PM   #32973
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 36 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
i bought weiser locks because they are easy to key alike yourself. locksmith and security guys say weiser sucks, but idk, it seems sufficient. i put a keypad on the garage door instead of a traditional lock so that in case i get locked out somehow i always have a way in. if you want a slightly higher end keypad consider schlage.
I also went with Weiser SmartKey locks. Until you go to the next tier of stuff I didn't see much difference between Weiser and the other Home Depot stuff. I also rented my place out for 2-3 years and it made re-keying really easy. It also gives me the flexibility to change the keys on my front door, basement suite door, and (detached) garage door to the same key vs. different keys.
Old 08-27-2024, 10:13 PM   #32974
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
For us, it comes down to two things.

1. Safety
2. Convenience

A smart lock can auto-lock. Sometimes we just forget to lock the door. So many times I would wake up in the morning to leave for work and our dead bolt wasn't locked. Now, that is not an issue with auto-lock

Also, everyone has their own key code so I know who's coming through the door. When my mom comes, my dad, my mother-in-law, etc.

Next to safety, the convenience of not needing a physical key is just a luxury. Have you ever walked around your house outside and the back door is locked? Not an issue, just enter your code and you're in.

Schlage Encode is our preferred lock. If you've assembled IKEA furniture before, you'd be able to install a new lock. It's not rocket science.

For tenants, I prefer smart locks. I wouldn't give them the physical key. I would just give them the keycode. Saves you from having to re-key anything.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2024, 10:24 PM   #32975
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,239 Times in 425 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Well, i don’t think my locksmith was particularly cheap or expensive. But the locks I installed were Abloy Protec 2. They aren’t cheap to come by at retail. No idea what it cost at wholesale though.

But they are really good though. I used them exclusively in my commercial properties and never had an issue. There were attempts, but never breached. Knock on wood.
These Abloys are aren't your normal keyways for those that don't know. In addition, Key blank access is restricted as well, you're not going to home depot and getting keys copied with those.

Even for picking those, you're going to need a disc pick, much different from your normal pin tumbler lock we're most familiar with. But for security purposes? install an anti pry shield, decent dead bolt, longer screws in the jamb, don't forget the hinge side too. Block your sliding windows with a solid bar.

They're going to kick in your door or pry open your windows before they're going to try to pick it.

That said, the old non smartkey weiser keyways are scarily insecure. I picked up lock picking during Covid, and you can pick some of those in a couple of minutes.
I've got the light commercial Schlage deadbolt/handles on my house when i replaced the locks.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: