REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #7651
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 127 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I'm a slumlord up on SFU Burnaby Mountain.
Similar unit to my studio is going for $800, unfurnished 300 sq/ft studio with no utilities.
$1500 for a 1 bedroom condo unfurnished and no utilities.
$2400 for a 2 bedroom furnished condo with no utilities.
$60 per month for a parking spot.
All are prices in a 10 year old building.
With figures like these, I can't believe some people in this thread have the audacity to suggest renting and invest the difference vs. buying is actually a good strategy.
Advertisement
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #7652
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,617 Times in 900 Posts
Failed 496 Times in 162 Posts
I'm just over here in Aldergrove paying $900 for a 3 bedroom basement, in-suite laundry, everything included. We only got the place because my gf's grandma is childhood friends with the landlord. Prices in the FV have been increasing rapidly lately.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #7653
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
With figures like these, I can't believe some people in this thread have the audacity to suggest renting and invest the difference vs. buying is actually a good strategy.
This was a good plan up until last year when real estate went insane. But let's face it how many people would've actually invested the savings they had from not buying? These days most will spend on nice dinners, vacations, name brand clothes, car parts, nicer car/multiple cars, latest tech gadgets, etc. Lets not talk about the lower mainland , but how many people on RS actually took the rent/save approach since this thread started? Contrary to what people say these days its never a bad idea to purchase property. Ask any real estate mogul/developer.
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #7654
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 20 Times in 8 Posts
Cloverdale 30yo house 5 bed 2 baths 2 kitchens 2600 plus utils
imp>dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:26 PM   #7655
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Failed 159 Times in 63 Posts
How do you guys afford such rent? That's ~30k a year and 40ish k pre-tax on ur income. You guys must be making a lot of money. Makes me feel bad

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #7656
God of Unce

Failed 285 Times in 103 Posts
14 dolla balla here
Armind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:40 AM   #7657
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I'm a slumlord up on SFU Burnaby Mountain.
Similar unit to my studio is going for $800, unfurnished 300 sq/ft studio with no utilities.
$1500 for a 1 bedroom condo unfurnished and no utilities.
$2400 for a 2 bedroom furnished condo with no utilities.
$60 per month for a parking spot.
All are prices in a 10 year old building.
In comparison, just below Burnaby mountain the mortgage on our place is only $1100 a month + utils for a 1000 sq foot 2 bed/2 bath

Obviously the initial down payment is the hurdle, but those rents are more than double the mortgage payments lol
Old 08-11-2016, 06:45 AM   #7658
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Depends on the place you rent. GF is renting a room in a townhouse near Metrotown. Rent is only $600 per month with uilities and internet included. There are sacrifices of coz such as the kitchen, and washroom is share with 4 other females, there are no living rooms, no parking etc etc...... but rent is cheap. Personally if I am renting I would look for something like that as well. All I need is a place to put my things and sleep after work.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-11-2016, 06:53 AM   #7659
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Depends on the place you rent. GF is renting a room in a townhouse near Metrotown. Rent is only $600 per month with uilities and internet included. There are sacrifices of coz such as the kitchen, and washroom is share with 4 other females, there are no living rooms, no parking etc etc...... but rent is cheap. Personally if I am renting I would look for something like that as well. All I need is a place to put my things and sleep after work.
I'm assuming she's in her early 20s and still going to school? That's about the only time I'd want to live like that.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2016, 07:00 AM   #7660
Old School RS

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,229 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Yeah no. I am all for financially responsible decisions but one kitchen and washroom across 5 people, no living room, no parking... that's hardly a home, that's just a roof over your head.

Mark
Old 08-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #7661

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Yeah no. I am all for financially responsible decisions but one kitchen and washroom across 5 people, no living room, no parking... that's hardly a home, that's just a roof over your head.

Mark
Stop being so entitled.

MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #7662
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Failed 54 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
In comparison, just below Burnaby mountain the mortgage on our place is only $1100 a month + utils for a 1000 sq foot 2 bed/2 bath

Obviously the initial down payment is the hurdle, but those rents are more than double the mortgage payments lol
Think you're forgetting things like condo fees and property tax which can rack up over $5k/yr. Mortgage also depends on the down payment, not sure if that's an apples to apples comparison.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:29 AM   #7663
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I'm assuming she's in her early 20s and still going to school? That's about the only time I'd want to live like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post

Mark
Well if you want to save you going to have to make sacrifices. Is about what you want more. Is like that guy in the news a few months ago who paid off his mortgage in a matter of 5 years. He does OT everyday and work on weekends, never goes out for food, movies. Basically work his ass off and put every penny into his mortgage. Now is a debt free and can enjoy life. Depends on what you are willing to trade off.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:43 AM   #7664
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Back when I was 23 I sacrificed basically a year of my life for a down payment for my first condo. Even with that I couldn't have been in a place here without a bit of luck and help from my family. It was worth doing back then, and set me up well, but in current market with all situations the same it wouldn't really be doable. It would be more like 2-3 years of sacrifice.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #7665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Think you're forgetting things like condo fees and property tax which can rack up over $5k/yr. Mortgage also depends on the down payment, not sure if that's an apples to apples comparison.
Pay $235 strata for:

Pool/hot tub
Sauna
Weight room
Pool table/table tennis
Raquet ball courts
Party room
Laundry room (95% of suites have in-suite laundry though, only here for a bylaw)

So with strata and mortgage I'm paying about $1400 a month
Old 08-11-2016, 08:06 AM   #7666
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
$235 ain't too bad considering you have pool/hot tub and sauna.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #7667
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Strata fees for a fully-equipped modern building (pool, sauna, gym) are in the 350-450 range these days. $265 seems awfully cheap, unless you have multiple buildings sharing the amenities.

Everyone's tolerance for sacrifice is different. $600 to live in essentially a hostel (5 grown adults who are not family in a townhouse?), however, is a bit ridiculous, even if you're Asian and are used to living in small spaces. A friend of mine used to rent out a solarium downtown in the 500 range and that's what I would call pushing it.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #7668
Old School RS

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,229 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Well if you want to save you going to have to make sacrifices. Is about what you want more. Is like that guy in the news a few months ago who paid off his mortgage in a matter of 5 years. He does OT everyday and work on weekends, never goes out for food, movies. Basically work his ass off and put every penny into his mortgage. Now is a debt free and can enjoy life. Depends on what you are willing to trade off.
Sure would have sucked to have been hit by a truck and killed the day you paid your mortgage off. You'd have died debt free but not have done anything worth doing for your life.

I have a mortgage too, but manage to max out my TFSA and RRSPs every year and still live a life "worth living". Sacrifice is relative - I have a $15K car that I paid cash for instead of the $80K car with a payment that a lot of my peers have, but that's my "line in the sand."

All that to say that everybody has a balance of "enjoying now" to "enjoying later" but that ratio your gf sounds way off to me. But that's just me.

Mark
Old 08-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #7669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Strata fees for a fully-equipped modern building (pool, sauna, gym) are in the 350-450 range these days. $265 seems awfully cheap, unless you have multiple buildings sharing the amenities.

Everyone's tolerance for sacrifice is different. $600 to live in essentially a hostel (5 grown adults who are not family in a townhouse?), however, is a bit ridiculous, even if you're Asian and are used to living in small spaces. A friend of mine used to rent out a solarium downtown in the 500 range and that's what I would call pushing it.
30 year old building, and yea 2 buildings share the pool but the rest of the amenities are only associated with my building
Old 08-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #7670
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
if you have an abundance of green space that seems to be the killer on strata fees too for landscape maintenance

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #7671

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
if you have an abundance of green space that seems to be the killer on strata fees too for landscape maintenance
My old complex was on nearly a hectare of land. Lots of grass, a pool, sauna, gym, and a decorative water pool over the parkade (wonderful idea in theory, but constant problems with the membrane and leaks).

Glad to be in a townhouse where everyone is responsible for their own hot water supply and for watering and maintaining their own plants and lawns.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #7672
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,756 Times in 1,105 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
Quote:
it just depends on the numbers. in my building rent is about 1400 and the apartment costs 300k, so it's smart to buy.

in some places rent is like 2200 and the place is worth like 700k. in that case it's smart to rent.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #7673

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
Some stratas organize their own landscaping crew saturday mornings bi weekly

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #7674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
My old complex was on nearly a hectare of land. Lots of grass, a pool, sauna, gym, and a decorative water pool over the parkade (wonderful idea in theory, but constant problems with the membrane and leaks).

Glad to be in a townhouse where everyone is responsible for their own hot water supply and for watering and maintaining their own plants and lawns.
Maintaining your own lawn/garden seems to be a rarity with townhouses these days
Old 08-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #7675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Maintaining your own lawn/garden seems to be a rarity with townhouses these days
The strata does hire a landscaper to cut the grass every couple of weeks, but people are expected to water their lawns and other associated plants. The rules don't prohibit planting your own stuff either, so long as it doesn't interfere with your neighbour (common sense really).

Most modern townhouses are equipped with hose bibs front and back so that owners can water their plants and grass. However, most newer townhouse stratas are more strict with respect to doing your own gardening - this probably to do with the fact that they don't want to encourage any behaviour that would void their 2-5-10 warranties.