REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #8651
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
I always wonder how they plan to deal with the grid lock, whether it be Brentwood or City of Lougheed. They are adding numerous buildings with thousands of new residences, but it doesn't look like the surrounding roads are being expanded. The last time I was around Austin and North road area, the traffic was such a nightmare.
There's no plan to deal with the gridlock. There's no capacity to expand the roads as the existing lots come right to extent of the streets.

The City of Burnaby has decided to pursue high density in order to avoid raising taxes to detached owners. The mayor has said this in public numerous times. Detached home owners vote, while new residents living in these town centres don't.

In theory, you're supposed to have less cars if people live next to the Skytrain and by amenities. However, the only people buying these apartments are Asians and they all own cars, sometimes 2 or 3 per household.
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #8652
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Lougheed and north road are jammed right now fairly frequently. I live there, I've experienced it for the last two years.

This time of year when the weather changes Lougheed is sometimes backed up to government (i.e. The mall) with people trying to get onto the highway or further down Lougheed.

It's gonna be crazy with 2-3 new towers let alone 20.

I think eventually if the development goes as far as the picture I posted last page, they will have to restrict vehicle ownership within the buildings
Old 10-22-2016, 08:47 AM   #8653
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I think eventually if the development goes as far as the picture I posted last page, they will have to restrict vehicle ownership within the buildings

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #8654
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Failed 291 Times in 102 Posts
I do see traffic as a tremendous issue for Vancouver.

The cities really need to start expanding pubic transit and bike lanes if they ever want that dream to work - otherwise we're just going to have terrible traffic problems in 10 years.

Imagine looking back ten years from now and saying "I wish things were the way they used to be" - that's where things are heading.

#makevancouvergreatagain
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #8655
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 206 Times in 75 Posts
I don't understand the allure of brentwood. How will it hold its value when they're building endless giant condos like hot cokes and traffic is just horrendous.
Lougheed mall having 3 skytrains line has a lot of potential and will be the new brentwood 2.0 soon.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #8656
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Lougheed at least it's more of a hub, evergreen line connection, expo line, and mileniun line all basically start there, as well as a large bus loop.

Does Brentwood even have a bus loop or it's just the lines that pass by there?
Old 10-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #8657
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 40 Times in 26 Posts
Allure of Brentwood for me is:
Closer to more schools.
Transit and close to highway.
Demographic is similar to me.
Amenities with the mall being redeveloped.
I can bike to work.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #8658
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Brentwood used to have a bus loop before they started building the condos.

Brentwood is good if you work and play downtown, but can't afford the downtown prices. Also, having the highway immediately south is convenient. Plus you're close to areas like the Heights if you want niche shops like Boss Foods, Cioffis, and Chez Christophe. Costco is within walking distance. And it's connected to the Central Valley Greenaway which allows you to bike downtown within 40 minutes.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #8659

Maddox downtown - any reason why I wouldn't want to live int his building?
Old 10-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #8660
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 386 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Maddox downtown - any reason why I wouldn't want to live int his building?
I live nearby and you get to hear supercars accelerate leaving town and decelerate entering town on the Granville street bridge.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #8661
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Lougheed and north road are jammed right now fairly frequently. I live there, I've experienced it for the last two years.

This time of year when the weather changes Lougheed is sometimes backed up to government (i.e. The mall) with people trying to get onto the highway or further down Lougheed.

It's gonna be crazy with 2-3 new towers let alone 20.

Hard to do unless apartments don't come with parking. When I purchase my unit at The Met2 and unit below 10th floor don't have parking. I am going to have fun towing ppl's car if they ever park in my parking stall.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #8662
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Failed 146 Times in 72 Posts
Brentwood was one of the first places to bring all this density in one spot to Burnaby. There isn't much other allure than the skytrain, shopping mall, and the hope that it'll be great.

Metrotown was almost at the same point, but they are abit more spread out, with TheMet towers on the East. The towers going up along Beresford (Central Blvd) on the South, and Station Square in the NorthWest.

If you guys start digging around, Concord (IIRC) wants to place 3-4 towers on TheBay & Sears outside parking lots on the North side of Metrotown. If that goes through, I'm not really going to a shopping mall period anymore.

Brentwoods traffic will be 100% fucked once that development is complete. As no expanded road infrastructure is planned, just more traffic lights.
Kingsway infront of Metrotown is already fucked, and will only get worse if that development by Concord happens.
Lougheed & North Rd are terrible already, and with that development, not much can be done for ways of expansion. Another mall to get fucked.

Yet I'd still rather live in New West/Burnaby than Vancouver.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #8663
G
Banned (BBM)

Failed 86 Times in 39 Posts
^They are also building more near the Grange/Hazel Street area (like the church).

Brentwood is already a cluster once rush hour hits :P
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #8664
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
CSIS Warns Of Chinese Influence On Canadian Real Estate…20 Years Ago

This was a good read
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #8665
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 40 Times in 26 Posts
If China is using financial means to take over the major cities in Canada, it's sure working. All this money going into real estate seems to have fueled into densification, by building luxury apartments. No one can really afford to buy a Vancouver detached home anymore, so the next best thing is buying into an apartment, where the money goes back into HK triad? If it is indeed owned by a Triad member.

But since we're in Canada, what are the chances of the government seizing property of non-canadians? Is the flow of money into our city allowing infrastructure to grow? By building towers, does it allow a path for other services and opportunities to open up?

Last edited by DragonChi; 10-24-2016 at 08:11 PM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:43 AM   #8666
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Failed 86 Times in 38 Posts
Renters feeling the squeeze of the local real estate market - NEWS 1130

Quote:
says is dishing out $4,500 a month in rent to live in a Kitsilano house she loves, but she can’t afford her own. “I’m actually living in the city, paying a huge amount of rent and not feeling supported.”

doesn't want to live anywhere else cuz she loves Kits
cries about having to paying $4500 a month

ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #8667
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
One woman we spoke to, who didn’t want her name published,
probably didn't want her friends to know she rents it and doesn't own

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #8668

Thanked 7,760 Times in 2,314 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
I do see traffic as a tremendous issue for Vancouver.

The cities really need to start expanding pubic transit and bike lanes if they ever want that dream to work - otherwise we're just going to have terrible traffic problems in 10 years.

Imagine looking back ten years from now and saying "I wish things were the way they used to be" - that's where things are heading.

#makevancouvergreatagain

Watch this video.

DT and Vancouver proper are much safer investment wise for property values. Outlying areas where land is cheaper, think surrey, Coq, mission, langley, etc. These places will suffer more as values drop, and as we urbanize and increase density.

As our cities mature here in canada, we will move towards a system which is much more like London, Paris, etc, where the city center has the highest values, and outlying areas will decrease in value from there.

Notice how already as we are talking about the market stalling, and prices coming down, DT has not seen any affect. It simply wont. Prices in Vancouver DT will not come down any.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #8669
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Brentwood was one of the first places to bring all this density in one spot to Burnaby. There isn't much other allure than the skytrain, shopping mall, and the hope that it'll be great.

Metrotown was almost at the same point, but they are abit more spread out, with TheMet towers on the East. The towers going up along Beresford (Central Blvd) on the South, and Station Square in the NorthWest.

If you guys start digging around, Concord (IIRC) wants to place 3-4 towers on TheBay & Sears outside parking lots on the North side of Metrotown. If that goes through, I'm not really going to a shopping mall period anymore.

Brentwoods traffic will be 100% fucked once that development is complete. As no expanded road infrastructure is planned, just more traffic lights.
Kingsway infront of Metrotown is already fucked, and will only get worse if that development by Concord happens.
Lougheed & North Rd are terrible already, and with that development, not much can be done for ways of expansion. Another mall to get fucked.

Yet I'd still rather live in New West/Burnaby than Vancouver.
Towers doesn't even need to be built to see that. Try visiting Metro on the weekends and feel yourself. Is pack already. You can hardly found a spot at the food court to eat. You can't even walk fast anymore coz too many ppl like to look at their cell phones while walking slow.

I avoid malls on weekends on all cost
Old 10-25-2016, 01:18 PM   #8670
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
Actually condo prices in DT have gone down and like I mentioned a couple pages back the peak was around July.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #8671

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
^

Yeah, second this... family has been looking for a place in DT as a pied-à-terre and it used to be mostly $1000+/sqft, now many have dropped below that mark.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #8672
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
It doesn't take a brain scientist, or a rocket surgeon to realize price should just go down in the same order they went up. The massive increase in value in outlying areas were last to see the huge increase. They will probably the the first to go down. More established areas with smaller increases will slow at a slower rate. The reason the established places were popular in the first place is the reason they will show more stability.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #8673
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 6 Times in 5 Posts
Anyone that doesn't believe prices will drop make me want to pull my hair out.

The federal and local governments are actively trying to stabilize the market. If the
measures they have implicated don't work in 6 months. They will continue with more changes until the market is back to earth.

If you already bought a house or condo in the last 12 months. You bought at a all time high in this cycle. In 10-15 years from now, prices will be higher. Don't panic.

Vancouver is beautiful and my home. However it is not special. We will go through cycles like any other city.
C5_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #8674

The downturn is when you will find out just how saturated the market is with investors.

If investors don't need to hold an asset that is tumbling in value why would they? After all, they can always buy back later at a lower price after taking profits.

That's the #1 risk to the Vancouver real estate market, there is a tremendous amount of profit taking on the table, once people decide to take those profits, the prices will tank, rapidly IMO.

Under no circumstances would I expect to see any capitulation, people will sooner opt for the long haul, I could see a snap back to 2010-2011 ish prices, but no lower.

I think that's the realistic outcome, but then again, who is buying in Vancouver when 90% of the population has the sentiment of "buy later after prices drop more"?

Interesting times, it's all hypothetical, we exist in the now, and right now, shit is expensive as fuck.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #8675

^^ You know the city is expensive when McDonald's meal cost $10 and even those cheap HK style cafe, BB tea place are all $10+ for a meal.
This post thanked by: