REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #10501
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
He should get jail time and have to pay restitution to the original seller in the amount of whatever he profited in reselling the home. He also should be banned from selling anything ever again but that goes without saying.

If I'm the original owner of that home I'm suing him 100% for the 400K or whatever the fuck he got from the flip.
Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #10502
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Failed 59 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
applying for our HELOC now that we've kind of got finances sorted out etc. Right off the bat we are trying to get the most possble so we dont have to go back to the bank if we were to use it for an investment etc.

Our mortgage broker has been explaining now that on top of the "stress test" which was previously being done, (from my understanding of it) the banks now use essentially an artificial rate (hovering around 5%) to determine your eligibility to get the line, no longer using simply the banks rate to see if you can handle it.
Doesn't really apply to your situation but there are new changes to the stress test coming next month.

Previously, if you don't have enough of a downpayment then you have to pay CMHC insurance and pass a +2% stress test. As a result, the number of uninsured mortgages have gone up because mom and dad were giving their kids money to not have to pay insurance and not have to go through the stress test.

The new stress test is universal. Everyone has to go through a +2% stress test. If you're renewing and your property value has gone down, I think you have to pass a +3% stress test. There's no skirting around the stress test anymore.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #10503
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
$8000?

Please.

Xiao Zhong wipes his ass with $100 bills.

Post of the day!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
He should get jail time and have to pay restitution to the original seller in the amount of whatever he profited in reselling the home. He also should be banned from selling anything ever again but that goes without saying.

If I'm the original owner of that home I'm suing him 100% for the 400K or whatever the fuck he got from the flip.
You sound like the commentors on the Global BC facebook page.
"Cut off his head!"

Really though, when my parents sold their house to a nice indo canadian fellow (nothing can go wrong there.....), he turned around and resold it 3 months later for a 20% increase, or an additional $500k. It was shocking because it was the highest selling home in the neighbourhood at the time. But it was one of those "funny" deals. As my realtor buddy looked deeper into it, he told my dad not to worry because it was an inside deal.

There was no recourse. No penalties, no gov't intervention, you're on your own these days.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #10504

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
applying for our HELOC now that we've kind of got finances sorted out etc. Right off the bat we are trying to get the most possble so we dont have to go back to the bank if we were to use it for an investment etc.

Our mortgage broker has been explaining now that on top of the "stress test" which was previously being done, (from my understanding of it) the banks now use essentially an artificial rate (hovering around 5%) to determine your eligibility to get the line, no longer using simply the banks rate to see if you can handle it.
4.64% IIRC
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #10505
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Doesn't really apply to your situation but there are new changes to the stress test coming next month.

Previously, if you don't have enough of a downpayment then you have to pay CMHC insurance and pass a +2% stress test. As a result, the number of uninsured mortgages have gone up because mom and dad were giving their kids money to not have to pay insurance and not have to go through the stress test.

The new stress test is universal. Everyone has to go through a +2% stress test. If you're renewing and your property value has gone down, I think you have to pass a +3% stress test. There's no skirting around the stress test anymore.
This may be what I was trying to refer to then lol, heard it through the wife via our mortgage broker so that probably sounds more accurate.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #10506
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Young couple camps out for 3 days for condo pre-sale in Port Coquitlam | Daily Hive Vancouver

Hate to drive more traffic to that site, but it looks like the frenzy for presales is still high.

I'm not a realtor, nor a real estate investor (aside from my primary residence), but I said that downtown PoCo was going to be next. The condo market in PoCo is undervalued compared to other cities, but probably not for long.

There was a realtor event for this development a week ago, so this young couple is probably out of luck in getting first release pricing.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #10507
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 3,989 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post

You sound like the commentors on the Global BC facebook page.
"Cut off his head!"

Really though, when my parents sold their house to a nice indo canadian fellow (nothing can go wrong there.....), he turned around and resold it 3 months later for a 20% increase, or an additional $500k. It was shocking because it was the highest selling home in the neighbourhood at the time. But it was one of those "funny" deals. As my realtor buddy looked deeper into it, he told my dad not to worry because it was an inside deal.

There was no recourse. No penalties, no gov't intervention, you're on your own these days.
That's not the same thing as shadow flipping.
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #10508
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Young couple camps out for 3 days for condo pre-sale in Port Coquitlam | Daily Hive Vancouver

Hate to drive more traffic to that site, but it looks like the frenzy for presales is still high.

I'm not a realtor, nor a real estate investor (aside from my primary residence), but I said that downtown PoCo was going to be next. The condo market in PoCo is undervalued compared to other cities, but probably not for long.

There was a realtor event for this development a week ago, so this young couple is probably out of luck in getting first release pricing.
This reminds me of a story that's probably all too common.

I had a friend who's been paid by 'people' to stand in line for them for a couple of days. There was some development in Shitmond somewhere they wanted him to stand in line for. He wanted me to join in and we'd alternate. We'd be paid $2000.

I sent him a photo text of me with my middle finger at camera-centre pointing high to the sky and told him to forward this message to those people. I don't know if he ever did.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #10509

The realtor who sold my apartment was paying security guards $600 a day to stand in line at city of Lougheed
Old 09-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #10510
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
^where do i sign up

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2017, 08:21 PM   #10511
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
Find a good presale realtor and you don't have to wait in line and usually the stuff that is available when you line up is the units no one else wanted. Unfortunately with the condo market the way it is you're not going to be able to pick and choose what unit you want unless you're connected and you get in early.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:40 AM   #10512
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question about 5 year fixed closed mortgage rates. What's considered a good rate right now? (Real world, not random rate you can search for online)

I'm buying a 500k place with 200k down. Mortgaging 300k. My credit rating is excellent. Debt servicing is low.

My broker is telling me he's shopping for my rate right now but provided me an approval based on a locked in rate of 3.19%. He's telling me to expect a rate of around 3.19%, but that sounds high to me? Thoughts?
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:56 AM   #10513
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
That's not the same thing as shadow flipping.
Really?
So a speculator buys a house through a family member, then sells to another family member for 20% more and no money changed hands.

I don't know what you want to call it, but it's shady as hell. If you can't see that, you're as blind as the former liberal govt.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #10514
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Question about 5 year fixed closed mortgage rates. What's considered a good rate right now? (Real world, not random rate you can search for online)

I'm buying a 500k place with 200k down. Mortgaging 300k. My credit rating is excellent. Debt servicing is low.

My broker is telling me he's shopping for my rate right now but provided me an approval based on a locked in rate of 3.19%. He's telling me to expect a rate of around 3.19%, but that sounds high to me? Thoughts?
You can get a lower rate if you put down less than 20% and get CMHC insurance.

I'm seeing 3.14% as the lowest you'll likely get with 20% down plus standard options like 15/15.

Or, take a variable and make lump sum payments on top. If you plan to trade up in less than 5 years, you'll still come out ahead using a variable as you'll only have to pay 3 months interest to break your mortgage.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #10515

Thanked 3,989 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Really?
So a speculator buys a house through a family member, then sells to another family member for 20% more and no money changed hands.

I don't know what you want to call it, but it's shady as hell. If you can't see that, you're as blind as the former liberal govt.
What?

bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #10516

Thanked 31,914 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Really?

So wait.
Did the final owner pay the new owner before your parents got paid?
If so, thats shadow flipping, if not then its just a flip that appears like money laundering.
Also, what do you mean no money changed hands?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:45 PM   #10517
they call me the snowman

The new deal happened before money changed hands.
It was shocking at the time, but not so much after seeing how the market has changed over the years. This isn't an ethical real estate market. It's more like business on Mos Eisley*

*star wars reference, ftw.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2017, 08:00 AM   #10518
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
^ In this case, GREEDo shot first *ba-dump chish*

I'm here all week.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #10519
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Vancouver developer pre-sells condos for “cheaper than in Canada” in Hong Kong while boasting of “pricing ordinary Canadians out of the housing market” (thinkpol.ca)

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...s_for_cheaper/
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #10520

Thanked 31,914 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Poor people (people who make less than 120k household income) are the new indigenous people, and the new explorers are rich people. (obviously a hyperbole, but the premise, although much less violent, is the same.) Its almost comical how vicious it is to boast about taking homes away from average people.
Welcome to the new reality.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 09-24-2017 at 10:03 AM.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2017, 11:42 PM   #10521
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 41 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Vancouver developer pre-sells condos for “cheaper than in Canada” in Hong Kong while boasting of “pricing ordinary Canadians out of the housing market” (thinkpol.ca)

Those guys are known as the "CUNTS of Vancouver".
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #10522
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post

I wonder if the gov could do anything about it? Maybe take a look at their books? Give them a hard time issuing permits to build? investigate for possible money laundering?

Because if enough people complain about it and wants to gov to do something they have to do something since NDP wants to make housing affortable.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #10523

Watched quite a few docs recently about the race riots in 92, other sorts of uprisings etc

With shit like that going down in Hong Kong and if housing prices continue to rise unchecked I could honestly see shit going down in the future in terms of violent protest, targeting certain demo’s who are “buying up all the property” etc.

There are more homeless people than ever in the lower mainland, and it’s not just whalley and the DTES, there are homeless people -everywhere- lately. They aren’t the ones that will eventually turn though, it will be your average person with a bit of a down payment and no place to live that will start throwing rocks through presentation center windows etc
Old 09-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #10524

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Failed 405 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Because if enough people complain about it and wants to gov to do something they have to do something since NDP wants to make housing affortable.
People have been complaining about it for years an the previous government just pussyfooted around the issue until the last moment which was pretty useless. I'm hoping something does get accomplished with the NDP on this issue.

Quote:
With shit like that going down in Hong Kong and if housing prices continue to rise unchecked I could honestly see shit going down in the future in terms of violent protest, targeting certain demo’s who are “buying up all the property” etc.
I'm surprised things haven't escalated to that point yet.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2017, 11:06 AM   #10525
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
You can get a lower rate if you put down less than 20% and get CMHC insurance.

I'm seeing 3.14% as the lowest you'll likely get with 20% down plus standard options like 15/15.

Or, take a variable and make lump sum payments on top. If you plan to trade up in less than 5 years, you'll still come out ahead using a variable as you'll only have to pay 3 months interest to break your mortgage.
this!
Gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote