REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Vancouver's Real Estate Market (https://www.revscene.net/forums/674709-vancouvers-real-estate-market.html)

EvoFire 10-23-2017 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 8868100)
I agree with you short term. Perhaps that is the way I should go for the initial move. But as the price gap between detached and attached get closer and closer, at some point the trends will change.

In some places, there isn't much of a gap anymore.

We own a TH around the Metrotown area, and we are seeing some of the bigger and newer/renovated TH hitting older or smaller detached home prices. I'm guessing maybe it's the convenience factor, but strata property prices have really rocketed in the Metrotown area.

We have been looking in the west side for shits and giggles (and well my parents want us to move closer to them). It's 1.4m for a 1000-1500sqft TH in west side, and it's 1.0-1.2mil for the same thing around Metrotown. That location gap used to be much bigger.

On a whole different note: I grew up in a detached home, I've been living in a strata. My wife and I are both not sure we are down for detached living anymore. A TH seems to much more suited to what we are doing.

TurtMcDirt 10-24-2017 07:17 AM

Jon McComb interviews Housing Minister Selina Robinson:
https://omny.fm/shows/the-jon-mccomb...s-housing-plan

I get that she doesn't want to "reveal her cards" before the legislation is brought to the government, but her responses are so canned. Man... February is going to be make-or-break for her/NDP with regards to public perspective on housing (which is already not very strong lol).

Tapioca 10-24-2017 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtMcDirt (Post 8868199)

I get that she doesn't want to "reveal her cards" before the legislation is brought to the government, but her responses are so canned. Man... February is going to be make-or-break for her/NDP with regards to public perspective on housing (which is already not very strong lol).

It's Media 101 not to answer questions directly if you have nothing to say. If politicians have to talk to the media, their objectives are to deflect controversial questions and stick to talking points lest offhand ccomments be taken out of context. Her staffers should be the ones to blame as they probably thought she could talk about removing the fixed term lease loophole and nothing else.

Mr.HappySilp 10-24-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtMcDirt (Post 8868199)

The thing is NDP have a lot of union support them. A lot of the union workers have properties and is riding it using it for their retirement funds when they sell it. If NDP does anything to decrease the value of housing or cause the bubble to pop the unions are no longer going to support. That's why John is already backing down on his promise he made in July.

spacemanrick 10-25-2017 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 8867959)
Would like to go detached. 1 million is getting out of my comfort zone. With a suite I’d be willing to go 1.1, where there seems to be a large selection. Not opposed to a townhouse, but the price difference doesn’t seem worth it.

Fiancé would be working at city hall. Proximity to that, or a sky train station would be nice since we will be missing our Vancouver life.

We spent the morning touring around. I love westwood, especially with its proximity to what looks like mountain biking territory. I think it’s probably out of our budget though.

I have friends that lived in Westwood Plateau and depending on how high up the hill you are the drive just to get down to Lougheed Highway can take you 5 to 20 minutes. Because of the hills the Weswood Plateau also never seemd to me to be a very friendly walking family kind of neighborhood.

Have you considered Citadel Heights in Port Coquitlam? When it is not rush hour I can drive to Chinatown from my house in less than 30 minutes. Coal Harbour is about 35 minutes away when there is no traffic....

hud 91gt 10-25-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanrick (Post 8868348)
I have friends that lived in Westwood Plateau and depending on how high up the hill you are the drive just to get down to Lougheed Highway can take you 5 to 20 minutes. Because of the hills the Weswood Plateau also never seemd to me to be a very friendly walking family kind of neighborhood.

Have you considered Citadel Heights in Port Coquitlam? When it is not rush hour I can drive to Chinatown from my house in less than 30 minutes. Coal Harbour is about 35 minutes away when there is no traffic....

Funny, those were the exact comments my GF made about the hills and walking a stroller. haha. I said it would be good exercise hahahaha.

No I haven't looked there (Citadel) exactly but have seen the name. I'll keep it in mind. Proximity to a highway entrance is always convenient.

I was just speaking to my realtor (my Mom, ha) and asked her about the close pricing between townhouses and detached. Her thoughts were, people don't want houses anymore. They don't want the upkeep. I guess I won't know until I try. Something i've never had to do. haha

fliptuner 10-25-2017 10:05 AM

@hud91

https://www.locatehomes.ca/bc-real-e...5?id=262238266

Good sized, flat lot, close to great parks and schools. Easy access to hwy1, Lougheed, Maryhill bypass. Close to Westcoast express, and various bigbox stores and DT Poco.

The floorplan is easy to make open concept and is straightforward to suite, plus 2x6 construction iirc. Downside is no streetparking and single garage. I've seen people turn them into tandem garages and building a front deck on top.

hud 91gt 10-25-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8868360)
@hud91

https://www.locatehomes.ca/bc-real-e...5?id=262238266

Good sized, flat lot, close to great parks and schools. Easy access to hwy1, Lougheed, Maryhill bypass. Close to Westcoast express, and various bigbox stores and DT Poco.

The floorplan is easy to make open concept and is straightforward to suite, plus 2x6 construction iirc. Downside is no streetparking and single garage. I've seen people turn them into tandem garages and building a front deck on top.

No pictures quite yet. I'll check back in this afternoon.
2 new listings in Poco this week. Both look promising.

First one, my fiancé would love (And so do I)
https://www.rew.ca/properties/R22167...itt-meadows-bc

But I'm a cheap ass and well.... this one is cheap. If you could somehow build an extension onto the carport and make it into a tandem garage... Shop for me in the back of it, garage for the lady in front.

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R22169...itt-meadows-bc

Anyhow, i'm getting quite excited. The lady needs to get that job first though before anything happens. Getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

fliptuner 10-25-2017 10:29 AM

While Pitt definitely has deals, remember there are only a couple of ways in and out. Also, the property tax is significantly higher.

Here's a smaller th that just listed. Double garage and I believe it was recently rainscreened and new window. Iirc gas is included in this complex's strata. Close to schools, parks, Westcoast and highways.

https://www.locatehomes.ca/bc-real-e...7?id=262238422

hud 91gt 10-25-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8868373)
While Pitt definitely has deals, remember there are only a couple of ways in and out. Also, the property tax is significantly higher.

Here's a smaller th that just listed. Double garage and I believe it was recently rainscreened and new window. Iirc gas is included in this complex's strata. Close to schools, parks, Westcoast and highways.

https://www.locatehomes.ca/bc-real-e...7?id=262238422

Shit. I must have slipped on the mouse. Didn't realize that. Goes to show I know where nothing is out that way.

Mr.HappySilp 10-25-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 8868353)

I was just speaking to my realtor (my Mom, ha) and asked her about the close pricing between townhouses and detached. Her thoughts were, people don't want houses anymore. They don't want the upkeep. I guess I won't know until I try. Something i've never had to do. haha

Things have change in our generation vs our parents. I mean with our parents they mostly retire in their mid to late 50's and still have the energy to work on my yards, do the up keep etc etc. Even now people are still working into their mid to late 60s. Once they retire they retire they will be so old they won't have the energy to do the upkeep. With us we (will a good chuck of people in their 30s and 40s) are so used to living in apartments and townhouse we are not use to doing the upkeep at all.

Infiniti 10-25-2017 11:34 AM

Rental unit overrun by maggots, mould and feces after city program fails landlord - Ottawa - CBC News Multimedia

Tapioca 10-25-2017 11:45 AM

Westwood Plateau is also an aging community, so if you're looking for neighbours with babies, you should look elsewhere. Burke Mountain and Heritage Woods are far younger if you want that mountain lifestyle with like-minded neighbours. Household incomes are also higher in both Burke Mountain and Heritage Woods which is strongly associated with the types of neighbours you'll have. If you're used to the demographics in Kits, moving to the Plateau would be a bit of a shock. Burke also has attached non-strata townhouses for about a million which would be a good compromise if you're weary about strata living.

If you want walkability and a garage/driveway for your toys, you don't have many options under a million these days.

Or just buy an older rancher on a good lot in Glenayre in Port Moody and build additions when you have the money/time: https://www.zolo.ca/port-moody-real-...-culzean-place

Traum 10-25-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 8868395)
If you want walkability and a garage/driveway for your toys, you don't have many options under a million these days.

Or just buy an older rancher on a good lot in Glenayre in Port Moody and build additions when you have the money/time: https://www.zolo.ca/port-moody-real-...-culzean-place

Actually, that looks like a pretty good location. Close to North Road and DT Port Moody. It isn't really that far from Ioco (Save On Foods) and Coquitlam Center either.

Tapioca 10-25-2017 12:13 PM

Yep, Glenayre is the forgotten pocket of Port Moody. No views, over a pipeline, and older houses. But, with the development happening on Como Lake, it's a good long term bet.

Blueboy222 10-25-2017 12:13 PM

BrokeBack

westopher 10-25-2017 12:59 PM

I’d say that’s probably pretty safe or even low for the modern average. Ours is quite a bit below 300k but we got so lucky with our purchase timing, and we live in a fairly small (630sq.ft) place in North Vancouver.

Harvey Specter 10-25-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zyzzjr (Post 8868403)
How much is the average vancouver home owners mortgage? 400-600k? Is that what u guys are at?

If you're talking strictly about people who own a house in Vancouver I would say the average is higher especially if you bought within the last 3 years. You also have to factor in people who've taken out equity.

Hondaracer 10-25-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zyzzjr (Post 8868403)
How much is the average vancouver home owners mortgage? 400-600k? Is that what u guys are at?

seems to me that so few people seemingly have large down payments anymore that i would think a lot of people are north of 600k

hell, a few buddies of mine who work in finance always tell the same story about very well off professional couples who bring in upwards of 350-500K combined, they make a lot of money, but they carry huge mortgages and other debt along with that

roopi 10-25-2017 01:49 PM

:fuuuuu:

kr4l 10-25-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8868427)
seems to me that so few people seemingly have large down payments anymore that i would think a lot of people are north of 600k

hell, a few buddies of mine who work in finance always tell the same story about very well off professional couples who bring in upwards of 350-500K combined, they make a lot of money, but they carry huge mortgages and other debt along with that

Technically speaking, you should be carrying bigger mortgages and other debt. You should be taking all the money you have left over plus pulling helocs to invest

winson604 10-25-2017 01:58 PM

Opinion: New build walkthrough, I finally got the email that it's time. Now I have no interesting in paying hundreds for an inspector to come with me for this scenario but maybe I'm trippin.

Originally my brother in law who's in the industry was going to come but he's out of town for the entire month so that's a bummer. Any thoughts?

Maybe I can bribe Hondaracer with beers and or weed to come along lol

Traum 10-25-2017 02:06 PM

If I were the landlord dude, I would totally be consulting a lawyer now and looking to see if I can sue. It isn't a matter of cost recovery -- that part of the bargain has already been covered by the City (of Ottawa) now that the problem has come to light. It is a matter of vindication, a matter of holding the responsible party responsible for their share of the bargain so that similar shxt shows wouldn't happen again. The municipal government, the Salvation Army, the Canadian Mental Health Association would all be named, esp with the Salvation Army since they explicitly made the claim for a minimum 1 home visit per week.

It is shxt like this that makes me lose faith in humanity. You try to be nice and do the right thing for the greater good, only to end up getting a$$raped.

:fuuuuu:

hud 91gt 10-25-2017 02:06 PM

Of the few people in my age bracket and friend group. I’d say the average mortgage is 2-400k. These are mostly single income, and this was many years ago. Thinking about doubling that scares the shit out of me.

How people afford these fancy new cars, and that on top of it. Yikes. I don’t think I’d drive a new Ferrari for 1k a month haha. Never mind a 50k GTI or pickup. Different if it’s a business write off I suppose.

I’m just too cheap. Haha

GS8 10-25-2017 02:26 PM

I'm so glad I clicked this link while eating a pizza...