REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #10726
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Opinion: New build walkthrough, I finally got the email that it's time. Now I have no interesting in paying hundreds for an inspector to come with me for this scenario but maybe I'm trippin.

Originally my brother in law who's in the industry was going to come but he's out of town for the entire month so that's a bummer. Any thoughts?

Maybe I can bribe Hondaracer with beers and or weed to come along lol
PM me and if the time and place works out i'll do it for free.
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #10727
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Opinion: New build walkthrough, I finally got the email that it's time. Now I have no interesting in paying hundreds for an inspector to come with me for this scenario but maybe I'm trippin.

Originally my brother in law who's in the industry was going to come but he's out of town for the entire month so that's a bummer. Any thoughts?

Maybe I can bribe Hondaracer with beers and or weed to come along lol
Dont need to hire an inspector. Just check everything in details. Does the sink/shower works? How's the water pressure/Oven/dish washer/stove, microwave make sure they all work. Blinds do they run smooth? Check for areas on the wall to see if there are paints that's not painted, check all outlet and see if they line up. If it is hard wood floor see if there are any major gaps. If you have a balcony make sure is all paints as well. Check the doors and closet door to make sure they close well and it is smooth.

Just keep in mind some stuff won't be fix (coz they are so small in the developers eye) some needs to be fix ASAP.

Also once you move in if there are stuff still not fix or you find new stuff that needs fixing the developers still have to come out and fix it.

I had to do that like 4 times so far since some stuff isn't fix and I find new things that needed some fixing. Recently when I use the dishwasher after a party I notice it started leaking the water into the cabinet under the sink and onto the hardwood floor. Had to call the developers up. Somehow who ever hook the dishwasher didn't tighten the pipe so it was leaking. That was fixed but now the cabinet under the sink needs replacing.Is been two weeks still no word yet but I have been emailing and phoning them every 4 days or so for an update. The thing is most likely the whole set of cabinets needs to be replace not just one so they might be trying to avoid it. You have to keep pressing and pressing. This week if I don't get a clear update I am going to demand to speak to their managers since it doesn't take 2 weeks to get someone out to replace the cabinets.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #10728

An inspector is valuable in envelope issues that could arise. Average person doesn’t know anything about flashings or window systems
Old 10-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #10729
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

But for a brand new building/Townhome do you really need an inspector?
Old 10-25-2017, 08:31 PM   #10730
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,363 Times in 1,793 Posts
Failed 114 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Yes.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #10731

Quote:
Potentially
Old 10-25-2017, 10:52 PM   #10732
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Ok so the question then is how much would an inspector cost and who knows a good one. I'm not against paying per say but I'd like to know what ball park we're talking about. I'll leave every option on the table for now.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:01 PM   #10733
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 45 Times in 27 Posts
When we bought our house a few years back, we hired a guy for $500

Didn't use one for my condo that was brand new
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:19 PM   #10734
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
I know a good inspector, works for buyers choice and is full insured and certified. Msg me for info.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #10735
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Failed 103 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
PM me and if the time and place works out i'll do it for free.
Just want to say that's a pretty stand up thing to offer (not sure if you guys know each other)
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #10736
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,142 Posts
Failed 1,392 Times in 247 Posts
Apparently Canadian housing is "highly vulnerable", naturally Vancouver is top of this list
Canada's housing market 'highly vulnerable,' CMHC warns - Business - CBC News

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:24 PM   #10737
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
I get Vancouver, Toronto, Victoria, and Hamilton ... but Saskatoon? Really? How can Saskatoon be overvalued and overbuilt?
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #10738

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Saskatoon has seen massive increases over the last 9 years. I think it started to slow as oil dropped. But previous to that it was probably the highest rate of change in the country. No there aren't 5 million dollars properties on every corner, but percentage wise there were big changes.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #10739
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 21 Times in 14 Posts
If buying a place over 30 years old. Can inspector check for asbestos and copper wiring etc?
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:46 PM   #10740

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Saskatoon has seen massive increases over the last 9 years.
I realize that but:
- terrible Saskatchewan climate
- lots of available space to expand relative to other metropolitan areas
- according to CMHC, over-building
- according to CMHC, over-valuation
- above average rental vacancy rates for 3 consecutive years
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #10741

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Apparently Canadian housing is "highly vulnerable", naturally Vancouver is top of this list
I’ve heard this for too many years to pay attention anymore. Maybe I’ll get caught off guard one day.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #10742
I don't get it

Failed 285 Times in 77 Posts
Aww shux I thought 4444 had come back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #10743
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallydrv View Post
If buying a place over 30 years old. Can inspector check for asbestos and copper wiring etc?
some of the trade guys here might have better insight, but afaik, they should be able to tell you what potentially has asbestos based on material used at the time of the age of the home (ceiling tile, duct tape, loose attic insulation, etc). but if you want certainty then samples need to be taken to a lab and tested to be confirmed.

there are diff time periods of electrical wiring, again based on age of the home: knob 'n tube, rope insulated wire, aluminum wiring, lumex, or BX/AC.

afaik knob 'n tube are like 100 year old homes. aluminum is in the late 60's to mid 70's. different ways to check for copper...all visual...You can visually inspect the type of wiring at the device or device itself...might be able to see by removing a cover plate...

or remove the cover of the electrical panel to see the wiring pulled to the breakers...unless the panel is in an unfinished area, not recessed behind drywall so the wiring is exposed. don't be taking off the panel cover yourself if you're not an electrician though. i doubt the owner would be cool taking panel cover off in the house though...

wiring with "Al" imprinted on it is aluminum...while Cu is copper. the concern of aluminum is encountering cold creep, not to be confused with RS creeps . properly installed aluminum wiring is fine. still used today but only in larger feeder cable installations, not branch wiring.

i think the avg rate on a decent inspector is $500 to $550. if you need a referral PM me. the one i used on my current home was quite good. he does condos as well.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #10744

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
Just want to say that's a pretty stand up thing to offer (not sure if you guys know each other)
This offer stands for anyone in this thread who is buying a new place and wants some help with deficiencies, buy me a case of beer and if i'm available i'll come for your walk through.

I've done deficiency lists for approx 300+ townhomes and done about 25 home owner orientations with brand new home owners so ive got a decent handle on what to look for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallydrv View Post
Asbestos is a tough one because as GLOW said, without samples you're kinda SOL, the cut-off for asbestos was 1994 but some containing materials were still used after that due to inventory etc.

I'm trained in both moderate and high risk asbestos abatement and ran a crew for my former company where we abated two 4500 sq ft houses where the drywall mud was containing as well as some floor tiles.

The problem with containing drywall is that if you dont have a proper vapour barrier behind the drywall, the insulation is also considered "containing"

If your job requires an abatement a good contractor would tell you this, however, a shady one may pop it on you after the fact and increase the cost.

To be perfectly honest doing the abatement of the two homes we did is probably the biggest regret of my working career because even though we did everything by the book and had proper equipment and procedures in place, I think quite a bit about the long term potential effects of any fibres i may have inhaled during that time, it could be a lot, it could be none. hard to tell. However, i think in terms of minor renovations and work within a home, its not as big of a deal as it's made out to be.

if you notice the commercial with the contractor from love it or list it who is talking about asbestos on behalf of WorkSafe, the fucking guy never once mentions the actual safety and well-being of the home owners. He just goes on about how its the responsibility of the home owners to ensure that asbestos is dealt with properly and the "workers are protected"

Fuck that.. you mean the workers who are going to be there for a week? how about the home owners who are going to have fibers kicking around their house for years..

Basically Worksafe doesnt want to be paying out any other settlements to workers.

In a minor reno however, its pretty easy to take down drywall, clean the space, and get work done without paying $5000 for an abatement of a 300sq ft room.

In terms of the Wiring, GLOW has a lot of good points as well, i think one of the main things with older wiring is whether it's grounded or not. You want to make sure you have an inspector that knows what they are looking at, because in my house for example, we kind of had a jumble of knob & tube and varying types of splices etc.

in some of the switches and outlets though, the mickey mouse electrician who brought the house up to the point where former owners could get insurance just grounded his plugs and outlets to the boxes, so on the surface it looks like they were grounded, but you have to know what youre looking at to know the difference.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:44 PM   #10745
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
I know a few people who've purchased farm land in Saskatchewan. Also know a couple developers who are planning to build town homes in Saskatoon.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #10746
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
my previous house, was also an example of the history of electrical wiring in the past 60 years...

IMO you described the norm, it's just easier to do. the likelyhood of an old home being fully rewired with ground wire would be if the home was gutted in a reno with walls/ceilings exposed and the owner springing to have the electrical redone. even then some people are too cheap or don't care might cop out, especially if they're reno'ing to flip/sell. seen it before.

i guess it's good to know the difference so you can use it as a negotiating tool or if the realtor is advertising the electrical was upgraded when in fact it was not (or as they implied)

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2017, 08:57 PM   #10747
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
it doesn't take 2 weeks to get someone out to replace the cabinets.
you have absolutely no idea how busy the industry is right now and how small of an issue your sink cabinet is to the developer and anyone else involved but you.

you realize to swap out a whole sink cabinet atleast 4 trades need to be called in to do the work "properly"

I'd like to see just how major this water damage is, I'm sure they'll just have the cabinet guy cover it up eventually to make you go away
blkgsr is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2017, 06:49 AM   #10748

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
you have absolutely no idea how busy the industry is right now and how small of an issue your sink cabinet is to the developer and anyone else involved but you.

you realize to swap out a whole sink cabinet atleast 4 trades need to be called in to do the work "properly"

I'd like to see just how major this water damage is, I'm sure they'll just have the cabinet guy cover it up eventually to make you go away
Well I wasn't the one who cause the issue. The person who install dish washer didn't do his job right.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1A...k2dWRyRUU/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1A...BaYmRvUnM/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1A...dQbVpEeDg/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1A...ZuX3JtWHM/view

There are actually more damages I just didn't bother to take more pictures coz I find out the flood around 2am.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #10749

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Honestly, being nice and nagging goes a long with with deficiencies. No nagging, they seem to just be ignored unfortunately.

You've got a lot of damage there Mr. Slip.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #10750
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
B.C. announces legislation to close fixed-term rental loophole - British Columbia - CBC News

So it looks like the NDP is doing something on the housing file. But the way this legislation is written, it appears that it may have unintended consequences. I don't know if the government can alter all existing rental contracts...
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote