REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #11626
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
JDMStyo, due to the continued increase price of pre-sales, do you see condos that were built in the past 10 years (or newer) increasing in price as well?

Or is the pre-sale market not directly affecting the re-sale condo market?
Advertisement
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:02 AM   #11627
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
JDMStyo, due to the continued increase price of pre-sales, do you see condos that were built in the past 10 years (or newer) increasing in price as well?

Was condo hunting with a friend a 2 months ago and yea condo market is really high. As long as it is within the 10 years range price have gone up a lot compare to the past few years.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #11628
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,173 Times in 1,553 Posts
Failed 120 Times in 54 Posts
Quote:
My 12 year old condo in Langley had its assessment jump up 30% compared to last year.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #11629
RS controls my life!

Failed 22 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:

Condos 10+ years ago in great locations are certainly UP as well. Look at most downtown units - $300K 1BR are now regularly selling for $600K. Metrotown and Surrey were similarly as well, Skytrain access and prices are up across Lower Mainlands. Those that are 20+ years are in a completely different market as wear/tear and assessments are starting to affect value.

Buying OLDER condos in great areas (low rise) ripe for demolition & rezone is a another common strategy. Bill 40 will help even older units get the 80%+ approval and densification needed for demolition and windup.
https://biv.com/article/2016/12/vote...al-under-new-l

A few on RS here bought at Wynwood. Those fortunate to get Wynwood Green (Coquitlam Vancouver Golfcourse units) were buying units of another windup. The owners of the previous lowrises received 70%+ premium on their assessment. If you bought $300K 1BR that you made $180K+ on your place upon Anthem's buy out.
Anthem successfully completes strata wind-up of Coquitlam complex ? urbanYVR

___

Presales is completely separate from re-sale market. Though end users (residents of resales and rental cashflow investors) will always prop up the market. $600K 1BR downtown rents out all day at $2200/month. Those who had this from years ago with just $100-200K in mortgage is completely fine with cashflow here.

Financing is really where market gets impacted - most regular families can't afford $1.5M mortgages even with great DINK situations.

Big 4 banks can lend $1M now but super stringent. GDSR/TDSR ratios are firm 33/40% of your gross income and approved on 5.14%+ no discount 5 year mortgage rates so assure even a 2%+ interest hike will not tank the market.
Only smaller lenders can get equity mortgages through (Self declared income), but they can't lend out more than $1M, creating a perfect storm for most detached home.

Unless you have enough equity to buy $2M+ homes (most Van West and newer homes are $1.8M on 33 x 122 lots), it's not going to happen, so most young families are going to 2BR and even better, townhomes. Those who can stay with parents and wait out 2-3 years are buying ASSIGNMENTs and PRESALES to at least keep up the pace with increasing prices.

Most of our clients have help from family/parents on their down and hope to just get mortgage for the 60-70% upon completion of the units. Those who bought in 2-3 years ago are now $200K+ in equity versus their peers.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #11630

Interesting. Reason I ask, is that I purchased a 1 bedroom + Den in East Van 8 months ago. 7 year old building. Wondering if my unit is keeping pace with the madness of the pre-sale market, especially if we are looking to upgrade in about 3 years time.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:26 AM   #11631
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,363 Times in 1,793 Posts
Failed 114 Times in 70 Posts
I'm just waiting for news about Southgate. Looks to be an exciting project by a well known developer.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:03 AM   #11632
I am Hook'd on RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for some advice. My brother lives in South Vancouver and would like to report his neighbor about 3 doors down for very unsafe and messy construction. 99% sure there is no permit as well.

My brother is generally a low key guy and would like to report this anonymously. There is a form on the city of vancouver website that allows for anonymous reporting. The only contact information you have to provide is an email address in case they want to follow up. His concern is that his neighbor can trace the complaint back to him.

Thoughts? I think he should just talk to his neighbor directly to clean his property up.

Last edited by IGTBAR; 04-08-2018 at 10:00 AM.
IGTBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:15 AM   #11633
SB7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,543 Times in 464 Posts
Failed 381 Times in 56 Posts
Why not make a throwaway email and report with that?
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #11634
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGTBAR View Post
Looking for some advice. My brother lives in South Vancouver and would like to report his neighbor about 3 doors down for very unsafe and messy construction. 99% sure there is no permit as well.

My brother is generally a low key guy and would like to report this anonymously. There is a form on the city of vancouver website that allows for anonymous reporting. The only contact information you have to provide is an email address in case they want to follow up. His concern is that his neighbor can trace the complaint back to him.

Thoughts? I think he should just talk to his neighbor directly to clean his property up.
That. Man up and talk face to face.

Also, maybe i'm missing something but why does he care?
Old 04-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #11635
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,914 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
I'd care if my neighbours property was the equivalent of the city dump. But I agree, walk over there and ask politely. If he's a dick, be less polite. Then if that doesn't work start making his life difficult.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #11636
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
"unsafe and messy construction"

LOL. all you office people that sit in an air conditioned office all day have no clue how buildings are built.
Go pick up a hard hat, a safety vest, and walk onto ANY construction site. Let me know how many things you see wrong.

Welcome to reality.
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #11637
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,914 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Maybe thats a sign people in the construction industry should look long and hard at their practices. Disorganization wastes time. Time is money.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #11638
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
i can relate...the guys behind us left concrete bits in the backalley road surface, we had told to tell them to clean up after themselves
a month later they also took out our/neighbour cable that was running to the power line and left it dangling...fucking hell
mind you being in east van i'm used to seeing tons of houses going up...but these guys were simply not respecting the neighbourhood
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #11639
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
If the streets are clean, sidewalks clear, and all mess is contained within their own property I think people should mind their own business in terms of new builds. I’ve dealt with enough nosey busy bodies in the past to know the majority of the time their wants and claims are unfounded.

Occasionally streets might get a little dirty, sidewalks might have some dirt or dust on em, ya gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette. Love people who live in relatively new houses who stick their nose into the business of a builder. Yea cause YOUR house just dropped from the sky right? lol..

I do agree though that if ongoing mess which is spilling into the street, people tossing cig butts around the site, not securing site on nights and weekends, neighbors have a bit of ground to complain. However, as mentioned above, go talk to the super and let them head your concerns and if they are worth anything they will address your problems.

The majority of EI builders though, good luck.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #11640
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The majority of EI builders though, good luck.
I was doing an inspection for the cable and telephone installation in a new house a few years back. I had to take a whiz, but there was no porta-potty on site. I asked the builder where the bathroom was and he pointed behind the house. I said "Uh, where do you go #2?"

His answer, "haha, same place buddy. Watch where you step"

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #11641
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
immmma thinking of selling our house in ricemond and moving to twassasssseeeesssaaannn.

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R22314...drive-delta-bc

specifically this one.

You guys think its a good buy for where its located ? Im not too too familiar with the delta market but i like the proximity to the beach/point roberts and it aint too bad for me to commute to work (deltaport/fraser surrey docks/downtown). The neighborhood seems nice but the god damn sloped driveway is gonna be hell for my maz. Not sure even with ramps will i be able to come down my own stinking driveway without smashing the nose to pieces.

Last edited by Badhobz; 04-09-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #11642
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
immmma thinking of selling our house in ricemond and moving to twassasssseeeesssaaannn.

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R22314...drive-delta-bc

specifically this one.
Damn that's a nice place!

My #1 concern for places in Delta, esp in Ladner and Tsawwassen, is what the flood risks are. It looks like this address is not at the bottom of a hill, so I think the risks of flooing are relatively lower. But reaslistically, it is something you should ask your realtor / seller about.

The Messy tunnel / replacement is going to continue to be a mess for years to come regardless of what the provincial government decides to do. Your work trips to DT is gonna suck when you need to head to go there.

I just filled up at $1.71/L for some Chevron 94 over the weekend, so I am going to be very jealous of your gas fill ups once you accquire that place.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #11643
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
I drove through that area a few weeks back for my daughter's volleyball tournament. It really is a nice area. Reminds me of old Delta, before multiculturalism "changed" it.

Yeah, I went there
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #11644

can you not just add a bit of a filler on the curb so it's not so sloped or will nosey neighbours report that to the city?
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #11645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Damn that's a nice place!

My #1 concern for places in Delta, esp in Ladner and Tsawwassen, is what the flood risks are. It looks like this address is not at the bottom of a hill, so I think the risks of flooing are relatively lower. But reaslistically, it is something you should ask your realtor / seller about.

The Messy tunnel / replacement is going to continue to be a mess for years to come regardless of what the provincial government decides to do. Your work trips to DT is gonna suck when you need to head to go there.

I just filled up at $1.71/L for some Chevron 94 over the weekend, so I am going to be very jealous of your gas fill ups once you accquire that place.
I'm quite worried about that tunnel too. Most of the time it's a friggin zoo and one accident will lead me to miss any and all appointments downtown. Richmond at least has multi arteries to get in and out. Unfortunately with a limited budget of 2 million you can't get a nice big lot like this in Richmond with a 4000sq house.

If I get it, gas party at my house !!!

This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #11646

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
can you not just add a bit of a filler on the curb so it's not so sloped or will nosey neighbours report that to the city?
Don't know man. The opposite neighbor looks like he belongs in the son's of Odin. Gave me and the wife a pretty scary look. But that being said I'm sure he's a nice enough guy once you get to know him. I'm just worried any permanent installation will yield me fines
Old 04-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #11647
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
How bad is it pulling into the driveway nose first?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #11648
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 4 Posts
Planning to list a condo for sale this Thursday.

I own 206-844 Goldstream Ave with a business partner. It's a 1 bed 1 bath 2009 condo located in downtown Langford (a 25 to 50 min drive to Victoria depending on traffic). My business partner and I purchased it as an investment property and it has been rented since day one. Practically zero dollars in maintenance for the unit and the building which is pretty impressive. Just painted it in September so it looks fresh. Curious Comics on the ground floor and Tim Hortons across the street.

1 secure covered parking spot (not underground), no rental restrictions, one cat or dog allowed (up to 25lbs). Marble counter, stainless appliances etc. Our 2nd floor unit has a large terrace big enough for a large table and chairs plus BBQ and overlooks a small house with mostly grass.

By the Numbers:

206-844 Goldstream Ave, built in 2009.

Purchase price Feb 2011 was $236,000
Current assessment is $251,900
Most rentable 1 bed 1 bath in the area are selling around about the $300k mark so we plan to list at $299,900 on Thursday. Then look at all offers on Tuesday. Typical strategy.

Rents for $1300.00 per month (utilities not included) with a letter (notice) from tenants they are leaving August 31st. Before moving in one year ago we knew they planned to move back to AB August 31st so it was not a surprise.
Strata: $212.80 per month
Property tax in 2017: $1158.73

When we sell my expenses will include: realtor commissions (25% off due to long time client), fee to break mortgage of 3 months interest (approx. $1050), legal fees (approx. $1500), and capital gains. I plan to put the capital gain tax aside to pay next year.

I will share the listing this week and we shall see how it goes! This is the first property I have sold.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818

Last edited by TouringTeg; 04-09-2018 at 01:38 PM.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #11649

Those are pretty low strata fees. How is the contingency fund for the building? I know when I was searching last year, a lot of buildings I looked at that had low strata fees had minimal contingency funds and lots of upcoming work required...
Old 04-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #11650

feel inept now when ex-landlord put up 20 yo lowrise 2 bed-2 bath steps from joyce station for 330k in 2015 and I turned it down...then again apts were flatlined in the years previous and thought with all the towers going up brentwood/metro may end up with a glut of inventory by now