REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #11951
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
Back in their era you could raise a family with multiple kids on one income. They went and both worked for decades only to find out that they can't even pass on their legacy/home to their offspring.

You'd be surprised many would rather give to a charity than pass it on. The mentality is they worked their whole lives for this house so it will be over my dead body till they give up on it. My castle my rules.
Advertisement

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #11952
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
You'd be surprised many would rather give to a charity than pass it on. The mentality is they worked their whole lives for this house so it will be over my dead body till they give up on it. My castle my rules.
Really? I can understand parents not wanting to hand over their assets to their kids while they're still alive. But giving it away to charity instead of passing it down as inheritance? Really?
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #11953
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
There's no complete lack of sympathy from my part either. Many have worked, scrimped and saved for 30+ years to pay off a mortgage only to have their property taxes grow by leaps and bounds every year to the size of a small mortgage payment itself.

Not everyone who lives in the west side is a wealthy college professor or offshore investor (yet). Many working/professional class people lived (and continue to) in the area settling for a smaller house and a shorter commute. Its just the neighborhood upsized itself so drastically in the past 2 decades. If I lived there all my adult life raising 2 or 3 kids in my cozy house finally paying off the mortgage in my 50s you're damn right I would be pissed to.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 05-07-2018 at 12:52 PM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #11954

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
There's no complete lack of sympathy from my part either. Many have worked, scrimped and saved for 30+ years to pay off a mortgage only to have their property taxes grow by leaps and bounds every year to the size of a small mortgage payment itself.

Not everyone who lives in the west side is a wealthy college professor or offshore investor (yet). Many working/professional class people lived (and continue to) in the area settling for a smaller house and a shorter commute. Its just the neighborhood upsized itself so drastically in the past 2 decades. If I lived there all my adult life raising 2 or 3 kids in my cozy house finally paying off the mortgage in my 50s you're damn right I would be pissed to.
Yes, I would be pissed off if I was them.

But young people are pissed off too when they can't even get into a one bedroom shoebox.

This city is dying.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #11955
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Kind of ironic that the whole idea of home ownership is intended to provide stable long term housing for people, yet we talk about forcing some people out of the homes they own to do it.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #11956
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Yes, I would be pissed off if I was them.

But young people are pissed off too when they can't even get into a one bedroom shoebox.

This city is dying.
so instead of turning on each "other" (Boomers vs Millenials, Vancouver vs Suburbs, renters vs owners, Immigrants vs old stock)

We should direct our ire towards the government decision makers that got us into this mess. Pitting one group against another is how these ineffectual governments stay in power since time immemorial.

This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #11957
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,617 Times in 900 Posts
Failed 496 Times in 162 Posts
Ineffectual is a matter of perspective. Governments around the world seem to serve their masters well as those at the top own a growing majority of the wealth.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #11958
Old School RS

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,229 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Many working/professional class people lived (and continue to) in the area settling for a smaller house and a shorter commute. Its just the neighborhood upsized itself so drastically in the past 2 decades. If I lived there all my adult life raising 2 or 3 kids in my cozy house finally paying off the mortgage in my 50s you're damn right I would be pissed to.
I hear this all the time, yet when I offer to pay somebody's property taxes on the West Side of Vancouver for the next 20 years in exchange for all the appreciation of their real estate over the last 20 years, nobody seems to take me up on my offer - why not? If you only wanted a home to live in and didn't care that you were becoming wealthy on paper because you just loved the neighborhood...

I have no sympathy for these sob stories - I am so sorry that the pace with which you became wealthier on paper was faster than wage growth... The government will allow you to defer property taxes, to be collected upon sale, for exactly this purpose - no cash drain while you live there and only to be paid when you cash in your big ass lotto ticket.

-Mark
Old 05-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #11959

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
There is literally zero downside for these people to defer their taxes. Their families will not be left with crippling debt when they die and inherit their multi million dollar homes. 20 years of property tax at lets say 10k is 200k. So that leaves someone with about 3 million to figure out that bill.
Figure it the fuck out. They say the same thing to poor people who can't get into the market, and those people actually can't even afford a place to live. Not be worried about having to sell their panamera turbo to pay for the next 20 years of living expenses.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #11960

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Homeowners say "work harder if you want a house" and then bitch about losing their $570 homeowners grant causing them hardship when their house is worth over 1.6 million dollars.

Yes, $570 that you have a whole year to save up for.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #11961
I don't get it

Failed 285 Times in 77 Posts
Say that when your at their age.
Should they still be saving for that "rainy day" when your about to croak?
Short of a flood/fire/burglary should they be saving one day to pay almost double in taxes what they paid a year ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
If being back in debt is such a major issue then sell your golden nest egg and downsize into something slightly smaller. The extra 1-2 million from downsizing will cover your taxes for the rest of your life.

Like Traum said, a college professor makes a pretty penny for their salary, so if they both worked then they'd have easily pulled in 6 figures. It's not the government's responsibility that they're unable to learn the concept of saving money with an income level like that.
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #11962
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Say that when your at their age.
Should they still be saving for that "rainy day" when your about to croak?
Short of a flood/fire/burglary should they be saving one day to pay almost double in taxes what they paid a year ago?
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:40 PM   #11963
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
What's wrong with the daughter? Can't she pitch in?
Old 05-07-2018, 11:33 PM   #11964

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
They've basically gained 6.35 million from the house and they're unable to find a way to pay a measly 12k?

I'm sorry, but them going to the media is going to do nothing but get them hate.
It's $27k, assuming the article is correct, and could possibly skyrocket if house prices continue to climb (0.2% per year on assessed value between $3M and $4M and 0.4% per year on assessed value above $4M)

I've seen people suggest they downsize and pocket the difference, but factor in land transfer taxes, closing costs, moving expenses, etc. to move into a $2M house just to be hit with the same taxes several years down the line when the assessed value of the new house exceeds $3M seems like a shitty cycle to get into.

Class warfare isn't the cause of or solution to the housing crisis in this province and, while I'm not particularly sympathetic to their plight, I do empathize with them.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:48 PM   #11965
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
I know alot of us look onto this couple as a bunch of complaining millionaires.... but think about it this way...

Back in their era you could raise a family with multiple kids on one income. They went and both worked for decades only to find out that they can't even pass on their legacy/home to their offspring.

Great they are sitting on millions... but nowdays to get by the average husband wife each need 1.5 jobs. Does that really sound like a quality of life improvement?

My parents immigrated here so they could "keep what they worked for" yet it appears what they worked for isn't as much as they thought. They rarely took vacations or sick days and for what? I probably missed more school days then they did work days.

Sure it's better than the communist hell hole they came from but .... is this the direction we want to head down?

can the majority of 2.4M fit comfortably in SFH? Probably not even if we have 10+ living under one roof like many South Asians etc.

should 350sqft cubes be at least accessible, either renting or purchasing? if the govt and society wants a community, I think so

Last edited by twitchyzero; 05-07-2018 at 11:53 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #11966

Quote:
We should direct our ire towards the government decision makers that got us into this mess. Pitting one group against another is how these ineffectual governments stay in power since time immemorial.
ndp, liberals, greens... they will all have the same mentality as the shaughessy mansion home owners

Even if young people came together, there won't be enough votes to bring change like the social credit years.

Quote:

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
Old 05-08-2018, 08:24 AM   #11967
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 15 Times in 3 Posts
A brand new house I was looking was built on a land with a previous underground oil storage tank. I have not talked in detail with the realtor, but is it a common sense that it would be completely removed before city approved the building permits?

What's your opinion on this? Will it have any negative effect even it's completely removed?
yoursyumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #11968
linguistic ninja

Quote:
ndp, liberals, greens... they will all have the same mentality as the shaughessy mansion home owners

Even if young people came together, there won't be enough votes to bring change like the social credit years.
All I'm saying is that the politics of division is in every Government's playbook to staying in power. Divide and Rule motherfuckers! Who has time to hold the real culprits accountable (i.e. elected officials, bureaucrats, developers, RE industry) when they're too busy blaming each other for the housing crisis (i.e. Chinese, Boomers, Westside residents)

Old 05-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #11969
G
Banned (BBM)

Failed 86 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoursyumiko View Post
A brand new house I was looking was built on a land with a previous underground oil storage tank. I have not talked in detail with the realtor, but is it a common sense that it would be completely removed before city approved the building permits?

What's your opinion on this? Will it have any negative effect even it's completely removed?
Most likely will need to be looked or approved by the City. Also an environmental report is usually required to determine if the soil is contaminated or not.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoursyumiko View Post

if the tank has not been removed and the soil is contaminated, you might as well buy a floating home

Quote:

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
Old 05-08-2018, 12:27 PM   #11971

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
I find it hard to imagine that the City of Vancouver would allow a new home built on a property without requiring removal and remediation of an old in-ground oil tank first.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #11972
I don't get it

Failed 285 Times in 77 Posts
Quote:
Imagine a few decades after you work and your shoebox condo is worth 3M or whatever X number they decide to use.... You'd be perfectly fine with being told to sell or GTFO out the city because you can't afford it? First world cities have no need for your kind, pack it up and move to a second rate or third rate city you old git!

Can't even pass on what you earned to your kids (having the option to). Is that really getting ahead in life? If your ok with that then we may as well all be renters and let the gov own everything.

Everyone was cheering when he went putting blame on the evil foreigners driving up housing costs, now he goes targetting the middle class and that isn't a problem.

They "fix" one thing with the foreign investors and come up with another way to get more tax money.

Gov mismanagement of funds is clearly the problem. You people want to roll over to this then expect more taxes to come. Just make sure to blame yourself and not the politicians when that happens.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-08-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #11973
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Things change.

Because they bought in 1984 and feel like they’ve paid their debt doesn’t exclude them from the ever changing political climate and realities of living in a city like this.

Honestly until enough people rise up and actually cause “change” what incentive to I have to start that change? People work hard to get where they are at and you’re suppose to endanger that situation to essentially prop up others?

I work for a company that I could potentially lose my job if I was vocal enough on a political stance. And for me, losing my job wouldn’t be the end of the world. For a lot of people, it would be the difference between having a roof over your head and being homeless.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:41 PM   #11974
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 81 Times in 30 Posts
http://thelinkpaper.ca/?p=68258

Home Sales Down 27.4 Percent In Vancouver Hitting A 17-Year Low For April

Last edited by Blueboy222; 05-08-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Blueboy222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #11975
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 81 Times in 30 Posts
Next city booming.

?Neglected child? no more, Montreal is the next hot housing market | Financial Post
Blueboy222 is offline   Reply With Quote