REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #11976
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
Imagine a few decades after you work and your shoebox condo is worth 3M or whatever X number they decide to use.... You'd be perfectly fine with being told to sell or GTFO out the city because you can't afford it? First world cities have no need for your kind, pack it up and move to a second rate or third rate city you old git!

Can't even pass on what you earned to your kids (having the option to). Is that really getting ahead in life? If your ok with that then we may as well all be renters and let the gov own everything.

Everyone was cheering when he went putting blame on the evil foreigners driving up housing costs, now he goes targetting the middle class and that isn't a problem.

They "fix" one thing with the foreign investors and come up with another way to get more tax money.

Gov mismanagement of funds is clearly the problem. You people want to roll over to this then expect more taxes to come. Just make sure to blame yourself and not the politicians when that happens.
No one's telling them they have to sell, they can defer and when it comes time to sell they will still be so far ahead it won't even matter. They are being greedy, they didn't do anything except buy into a place that blew up and is now worth an insane amount more than they paid for it. They are acting like they are going to end up under water over this when in reality they will die rich as fuck and their kid will inherit a fuck load of wealth.
Advertisement
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #11977
I STILL don't get it

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yet condo prices keep climbing and new communities and developments are all in the pipeline.

Go figure.

Vancouver growth, on a longer term scale will continue to go up. YVR has an extensive expansion plan in place until 2030 (I think) to feed the continued population growth. I don't think growth will fizzle out any time soon. But just my 0.02
leilomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #11978
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
No one's telling them they have to sell, they can defer and when it comes time to sell they will still be so far ahead it won't even matter. They are being greedy, they didn't do anything except buy into a place that blew up and is now worth an insane amount more than they paid for it. They are acting like they are going to end up under water over this when in reality they will die rich as fuck and their kid will inherit a fuck load of wealth.
It's good to know there aren't brain-dead people on this forum that understand how it works.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #11979
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzjr View Post
Home Sales Down 27.4 Percent In Vancouver Hitting A 17-Year Low For April | Link Newspaper

Home Sales Down 27.4 Percent In Vancouver Hitting A 17-Year Low For April
Sellers and realtors are still living in 2015. Prices are too high, they need to come down.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2018, 10:36 PM   #11980
G
Banned (BBM)

Failed 86 Times in 39 Posts
I've been shopping around and I noticed a couple listings drop 20-30K and still have no bites lol.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #11981
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Failed 405 Times in 91 Posts
Best rates available right now?

I'm at 3.44 right now for a 5 year fixed. Any better rates available?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #11982
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 206 Times in 75 Posts
I just signed 2.9% variable 5 years with TD.
5 year fix was 3.49%

I hear BMO has a 2.49% variable rate right now.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #11983
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 37 Times in 20 Posts
I had a friend that signed with RBC for 3.19% 5 year fixed. Don't know how he got that but it was before the rate hike from last week which is a great rate. Right now I think you guys can get 3.3-3.4% 5 years fixed. Just gotta shop around.
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #11984
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Failed 335 Times in 77 Posts
is it still a popular option to go find a mortgage broker? or will the banks variable rate usually be the best option? (but risky)
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #11985
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
is it still a popular option to go find a mortgage broker? or will the banks variable rate usually be the best option? (but risky)
Still popular from what I can tell, I went with a buddy who's a broker just started my mortgage a week ago. 5 year fixed 3.39

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #11986
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 15 Times in 7 Posts
friend just got approved last weekend @ 3.09 for 5 years fixed

was @ TD..said they were the worst
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #11987
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 33 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I stepped foot in Vancouver for the first time in 6 weeks since moving on Saturday. Holy shit I was about to explode after driving around for and hour in the kits/downtown. Fuck that place lol. Too bad I told my fiancé we can move back someday hahaha.
That's not an uncommon sentiment in my circle of peers mid 30's who have moved out to the 'burbs. It's nice and friendly like og Vancouver used to be. Good to see kids playing on the block with other neighbourhood kids, everyone watching out for each other.

For our circle who've outgrown the party scene and don't particularly enjoy the cosmopolitan feel, there's really nothing that Vancouver proper offers (aside from employment)
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2018, 10:00 PM   #11988
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
And food options

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #11989
Old School RS

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,229 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
BMO is currently offering Prime - 1.00% = 2.45%

PM me - I can refer you to a good BMO mortgage lender who can get your deal done.

Disclaimer - I am a BMO employee; I don't get paid directly for mortgages but referring people to other parts of the bank is considered a good thing for my overall performance.

-Mark
Old 05-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #11990
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
That's not an uncommon sentiment in my circle of peers mid 30's who have moved out to the 'burbs. It's nice and friendly like og Vancouver used to be. Good to see kids playing on the block with other neighbourhood kids, everyone watching out for each other.

For our circle who've outgrown the party scene and don't particularly enjoy the cosmopolitan feel, there's really nothing that Vancouver proper offers (aside from employment)
Oh please, yet another self-righteous newly minted suburbanite millenial trying to justify their move to the boonies. Really, Vancouver has nothing over your burb*? How about food options outside of the Cactus Club/Earls/Milestones? How about a commute that's less than 30 minutes long? 3 Skytrain lines? Buses that come less than 30 mins apart? How 'bout Theater, Opera, and other Performing Arts options. The SeaWall(s), the beaches, Stanley Park, and Street Festivals in the summer. Not everyone living in Vancouver is into the 'party' scene (whatever you define that is), but some of us just value 'living' over more space and more stuff.

So enjoy the suburbs for the peace + quiet and space it gives for you and your kids. Enjoy it for it's value proposition and ample parking. There's no need to pooh pooh over the City of Vancouver just to make yourself feel better about your decision.

*not counting the inner burbs like Burnaby, Richmond which are practically Vancouver.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 05-10-2018 at 09:39 AM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #11991
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
^
I don't have enough money left over after my mortgage etc. every month to enjoy any of those city things
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #11992
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Failed 54 Times in 30 Posts
Only thing I recall about living in Vancouver were illegal basement suites everywhere cause new buyers can't afford their mortgages without them. Parking became a gong show cause now you've got multiple families living in places that were meant for one and the whole block's lined up with cars. It was almost impossible to park in your own front lawn.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #11993
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Only thing I recall about living in Vancouver were illegal basement suites everywhere cause new buyers can't afford their mortgages without them. Parking became a gong show cause now you've got multiple families living in places that were meant for one and the whole block's lined up with cars. It was almost impossible to park in your own front lawn.
Don't put it this way, man. The homeowners are just trying to make life work. If the houses and property taxes weren't so bloody expensive, I bet none of them would want to share their basement with some stranger and lose the use of it for themselves.

If anything, I am far angrier with the municipal government directly replacing low density housing with high density housing without addressing the associated traffic infrastructure beforehand. Parking in your own low density residential area is a far smaller problem than the major traffic gong show we face everyday.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #11994
I don't get it

Failed 285 Times in 77 Posts
If your not communting into vancouver a sub 30 min commute isn't a big deal. Infact i'd rather do a longer commute in order to get out of 2nd gear. In Vancouver your better off with sub 100hp that can fit in a smaller parking spot.
What the hell do I want 3 skytrain lines for when theres plenty of parking if i'm in the burbs?

Dont eat out anymore because I can't trust the fillers and crap they put in food, not an issue. Prefer growing as much of my own produce anyway.

Enjoy your seawall in the summer, see how far you can make it without getting run over by some idiot on the ped/bike lanes. Hey at least with cars you've got insurance.

Street festivals? You mean road closures? Yeah i'd rather not have to check the news every day incase some hippies decide that cars are evil.

I'll take any extra money saved in another property/investment or even relaxation and trips away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Oh please, yet another self-righteous newly minted suburbanite millenial trying to justify their move to the boonies. Really, Vancouver has nothing over your burb*? How about food options outside of the Cactus Club/Earls/Milestones? How about a commute that's less than 30 minutes long? 3 Skytrain lines? Buses that come less than 30 mins apart? How 'bout Theater, Opera, and other Performing Arts options. The SeaWall(s), the beaches, Stanley Park, and Street Festivals in the summer. Not everyone living in Vancouver is into the 'party' scene (whatever you define that is), but some of us just value 'living' over more space and more stuff.

So enjoy the suburbs for the peace + quiet and space it gives for you and your kids. Enjoy it for it's value proposition and ample parking. There's no need to pooh pooh over the City of Vancouver just to make yourself feel better about your decision.

*not counting the inner burbs like Burnaby, Richmond which are practically Vancouver.

Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #11995
linguistic ninja

So all your gripes about Vancouver are car owner/traffic related and related to personal dietary choices you've made?

I still drive in the city. Is traffic worse than 10 years ago? 5 years ago? You're damn right it is.

But drivers are still (mostly) courteous and generally it''s still a low stress affair. You make it sound like traffic in Surrey, Coquitlam, Langley, etc. is a cake walk. I rarely have to worry about assholes in pickup trucks cutting me off at 80kph on a 2 lane "highway" with traffic lights at every intersection. Most stressful part of my commute is waiting for clueless c-lais parallel parking. Oh and stopping for pedestrians which I don't mind during the summer as it's mostly young ladies walking around in shorts now where I live

I drive less than 10km a day and spend a total of about 30 mins total in my car now. I get out and walk the rest of the time, you'll live longer that way - probably more so than growing your own vegetables.

Last edited by CivicBlues; 05-10-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #11996
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
yeah this is a problem only found in Vancou...oh wait Surrey

Old 05-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #11997
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
You both make good arguments.
Truth is, the suburbs suck outside of family, sport, education amenities. Surrey and Maple Ridge are garbage. Langley is so busy that it's more like Richmond now with it's density and lack of infrastructure. And who the hell wants to live in Abbotsford?
But Vancouver is also a bit of a cesspool. Scratch the surface under the crystal towers and fancy cars, and it's not very pretty. Drugs, crime, complacency are all earmarks of a big urban hole.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #11998
linguistic ninja

lol you're absolutely right hypa, Vancouver=Detroit and everyone's fleeing with their lives to the suburbs to escape.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #11999
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
civicblues being more hipster than dukes

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #12000
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Just move to Nanaimo. We lots of great driving roads, lakes, beaches, trails all within a 10 minute drive. The people are also a lot more friendlier.