REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #12126
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Just walked in - it was a complete ZOO at 2pm on a Tuesday.

Not taking offers yet - apparently units will be sold on a lottery system.

I haven't been to a presale in a long time but it's hard to be excited about buying under those conditions...

-Mark
What conditions? I am pretty sure by the time it goes to public 80% is sold already.
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #12127
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
George is a new low rise development in Port Moody. I visited the sales centre on the weekend and it was pretty busy - mix of investors and locals.

- 1 beds, 657 sf, $490K
- 2 beds, 935 sf, $650K
- 2 beds and den, 969 sf, $680K
- 3 beds, 1098 sf, $770K
- 3 bed tandem garage townhouses, 1260 sf, ~$850K
- 3 bed double garage townhouses, 1330 sf, ~ $920K

3% assignment fee

3 blocks from Skytrain and south of proposed developments. Given what units in the Tri Cities are selling for right now, they're not a bad deal.
Looking at this again, I can't see how those are attractive prices at all.

The Lighthouse (on Clark & Grant) is an older building that is much cheaper than this George development. The Station (on Moody between Spring and St. John) is a new-ish building selling for similar prices. Either of those options allows you to move in now, and all the deficiencies are already known.

The only benefit this George complex has over the Lighthouse or the Station is the townhouse with garage.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #12128
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Looking at this again, I can't see how those are attractive prices at all.

The Lighthouse (on Clark & Grant) is an older building that is much cheaper than this George development. The Station (on Moody between Spring and St. John) is a new-ish building selling for similar prices. Either of those options allows you to move in now, and all the deficiencies are already known.

The only benefit this George complex has over the Lighthouse or the Station is the townhouse with garage.
There's probably a good reason why that unit at the Lighthouse has been on the market for over 30 days. 782 SF vs 930 SF also explains the 100K difference in price.

The unit at the Station is less than 900 SF and is only 30K less.

The premier complexes in Port Moody are the Klahanies and Newport Village. When comparing George to the recent sales in those complexes, the prices at the former are quite reasonable for new construction.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #12129
Old School RS

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,229 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
There's probably a good reason why that unit at the Lighthouse has been on the market for over 30 days. 782 SF vs 930 SF also explains the 100K difference in price.

The unit at the Station is less than 900 SF and is only 30K less.

The premier complexes in Port Moody are the Klahanies and Newport Village. When comparing George to the recent sales in those complexes, the prices at the former are quite reasonable for new construction.
The prices at the George are significantly under what the best units in Klahanie sell for, despite our units being 10 years older. Our tandem garage townhouses ~1375sf are selling $900K-$1M.

-Mark
Old 06-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #12130
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Just walked in - it was a complete ZOO at 2pm on a Tuesday.

Not taking offers yet - apparently units will be sold on a lottery system.

I haven't been to a presale in a long time but it's hard to be excited about buying under those conditions...

-Mark
We went to look at the Eternity development in Burnaby by Royal Oak/Kingsway 2 weeks back and it was a gong show inside. They had the Chinese radio station AM 1320 there as well, so on top of all the Chinese people inside, they decided it'd be smart to be screaming on the microphone about how great this development is. It was so loud that I couldn't even hear what the sales guy was saying and he was standing directly beside me.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #12131
RS controls my life!

Failed 22 Times in 9 Posts
Eternity has a good location though knowing dev personally they've sold/allocated all 1/2BR already last December. Don't hold your breath for anything below $700K last I checked.

Buying any units below 3rd floor I'd also walk the area too as there's a ton of industrial properties (automotive) in area and the wire/telephone poles are right outside your windows around 3-4th floor.

For Royal Oak and area - not bad. Though no AC in building 1 at $850/ft (IIRC) is a bit bonkers. With density going up in area, it's not a bad flip if you can manage to close on it next 2 years.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #12132
i like gifs

Wait...what?

Eternity is in such a shit location. The entire street that they're building on right now is full of shitty industrial buildings that nobody walks into. Right across the street is some car repair shop that looks like a chop shop straight out of a movie with the amount of rusted and old cars just littering the street.

They didn't allocate all their 1/2BR last December. We were there a few weeks back and there were lots of 1, 2, and 3 BR units available on the sheet as the sales person showed us while talking numbers.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:56 PM   #12133
i like gifs

Anyone seen/seeing the Avani Centre in Surrey? Going to some preview appointment this weekend and just wanted to get some additional thoughts on that project

https://www.avanicentre.com

First 7 floors are going to be a Hilton branded hotel and floors 8+ will be the residence. Access through the hotel or private entrance and you can purchase a gym/spa membership and use the hotel facilities.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #12134
RS controls my life!

AVANI
Should be a packed weekend - June 15-17. Less than 200 units available. $850/ft though isn't too cheap for a new developer (Virani). If King George Hub last year had 32K requests for 700 units this will fly. I know alot of R/E people that all picked up units at Hub which tells you something. With Langley LRT coming (5+ years) and Surrey growing and more affordable for young families, it's a good place to pick one up.
If you look at price sheet carefully $299K start is 350ft (no parking) and 3%+ assignment fee, it's one to likely hold to completion and sell.

5TH Avenue (marketing co) tends to blow out their projects hard and fast. Look at Township Commons (Langley) and Maverick (Surrey) lowrise. Should be similar end of June with Avani.

__
Since we're on Surrey still... LINEA by Rize is probably nicer but won't be until July. At least they're a bit more creative with their themes on Goldhouse (Metrotown).
__
re: Eternity, just relaying what I heard from someone who works there. Developer is super odd about timing as sell side agents had most of allocation back in Dec but no DS means no contracts. I just asked and maybe its some developer holdbacks - now selling at higher prices likely. There's only a handful of comparables of lowrise woodframes in Royal Oak area, namely some on Grimmer but those are 4-5 years old already and fetch $750/ft.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #12135
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT10 View Post
Just looked at the layouts of the Ward. I'm guessing they're discounting their basement/garden suites? Just curious, how much are they dropping off the price?
Forgot how much they're discounted but apparently they've only sold 3 of the 16 units and they're all upper units
Old 06-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #12136
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
The problem with Ward and so many other new floor plans is the significant lack of closet space for two people. And some of the "master bedrooms" look like they can barely fit a queen bed! Anyone currently living with 2 people in one BR apartment knows how important this can be.

Two level townhomes are generally less appealing to me. They sound big and cost more at 1000+ sq ft but the main living area including kitchen/living room (where you spend the majority of time) is never any bigger than what you find in a standard 1 br or 2 br condo. And the upper floor bedrooms are often tiny with lack of closets. Too much square footage is wasted on having stairs.

Some of the townhomes going up in North Van/Moodyville have decent floor plans that address these issues. They are however $1m plus.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #12137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
The problem with Ward and so many other new floor plans is the significant lack of closet space for two people. And some of the "master bedrooms" look like they can barely fit a queen bed! Anyone currently living with 2 people in one BR apartment knows how important this can be.

Two level townhomes are generally less appealing to me. They sound big and cost more at 1000+ sq ft but the main living area including kitchen/living room (where you spend the majority of time) is never any bigger than what you find in a standard 1 br or 2 br condo. And the upper floor bedrooms are often tiny with lack of closets. Too much square footage is wasted on having stairs.

Some of the townhomes going up in North Van/Moodyville have decent floor plans that address these issues. They are however $1m plus.

Moodyville has larger lot sizes to work with, whereas, in East Van, you're working with a typical 33x120 lot. Stacked townhouses are pretty much going to be the norm for infill in Vancouver going forward. You'll only get larger footprint townhouses in former non-residential areas outside the inner suburbs.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #12138
private modder

From MLA canada: 70% of pre-sales released in May sold.

Quote:
JUNE 2018 REPORT HIGHLIGHTS
Same month sales for pre-sale units in April 2018 totaled 43 per cent, likely a result of no recent new high-rises being launched, and a relatively low number of homes coming to market. May 2018 saw a dramatic increase in multi-family homes released, almost doubling that of April, achieving a 70 per cent absorption rate.

June 2018 is anticipated to see a launch of 17 pre-sale projects, totaling 1,335 homes. Nearly 90 per cent of this total inventory will be coming to market from across Greater Vancouver.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #12139
RS controls my life!

Quick update from AVANI (King George)...
Apparently assignment fee will be a staggering 50% for purchasers after June 25. Wow that's really taking a chunk (even more than Burrard Place and Jim Pattison's 25%) of the profit from speculators.

Or you can say it's a great strategy to blow out units this week when sales start for those that bought before June 25th.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #12140
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
long shot but any possibility a PMI can cover any month when your investment rental is vacant (down payment is 20%)
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #12141
RS controls my life!

It depends... this is Mortgage Protection Insurance from big banks? It would help to know what bank you're with too, as they generally sell insurance from the big few as well (Manulife, Canada Life, etc).

I believe (from back when I was a big 4 bank) they cover only up to a certain amount (2018 figures is $3,000) up to $150K, on a list of job-interfering injuries.
Best to call your banker - who will then refer you to the subcontracted insurance company who REALLY handles claims.

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-ban...lity-plus.html

Quote:
Terms and conditions
2 The fixed monthly benefit amount is calculated by rounding the principal and interest portion of your total monthly Mortgage Loan payment on the date you applied for Mortgage Disability Insurance to the nearest $100, up to a maximum monthly benefit of $3,000. If your Mortgage Loan payments are not monthly, this amount is adjusted as described in the Certificate of Insurance. Once your application for coverage is approved, your fixed monthly benefit amount will not change for the life of your Mortgage Loan unless you cancel and reapply. The maximum amount of benefits paid for each insured person for each incident of disability across all insured CIBC Mortgage Loans is $150,000. This maximum applies to your insurance claims under all of your Mortgage Disability Insurance and Mortgage Disability Insurance Plus insured Mortgage Loans.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2018, 05:17 AM   #12142
RS controls my life!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.news1130.com/2018/06/21/...ng-affordable/
ST184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:21 AM   #12143
private modder

Quote:
Moodyville has larger lot sizes to work with, whereas, in East Van, you're working with a typical 33x120 lot. Stacked townhouses are pretty much going to be the norm for infill in Vancouver going forward. You'll only get larger footprint townhouses in former non-residential areas outside the inner suburbs.
Saw this article today and reminded me of your post:

Subdivision on North Van street divides community
Old 06-24-2018, 07:04 AM   #12144
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Seems like sales of apartment is slowing down. Last year as soon as an apartment is listed it would get sold in a week or so. Now I am seeing some that's on the market for 1+ month longer.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2018, 07:10 AM   #12145
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Failed 73 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Seems like sales of apartment is slowing down. Last year as soon as an apartment is listed it would get sold in a week or so. Now I am seeing some that's on the market for 1+ month longer.
Same thing happening in the Valley. I’m “waiting it out”.

Currently renting in a 2 year old condo since August if last year. In August 6 units sold, all within 5 days of listing. There’s currently 2 been up for 1-2 months, both of which have dropped 40k in price.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #12146
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
First time in years I've seen main roads in Vancouver littered with open house signs. Market is definitely cooling and it's going to get worst as rates go up and the NDP implements more RE cooling measures.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #12147
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Went to check out Victoria by Mosaic in Burke Mountain yesterday and it was quite busy with all their 3 br townhomes already accounted for.

https://mosaichomes.com/property/victoria/

I think it was ~750k for 3br + den + 2.5ba and around 1550 sq ft. The place looked really nice, but the commute into Vancouver was far too long for what we wanted.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:09 PM   #12148
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Mosaic builds a quality product too so you can rest *somewhat* assured in what you’re getting.

Man wish I had some liquidity where I could look for a rental property. Probably a primeeeee time to look for somthing in a 2 bedroom 8-12 years old with a good deprecation report as a rental property. Probably lots of negotiating potential
Old 06-24-2018, 01:21 PM   #12149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Went to check out Victoria by Mosaic in Burke Mountain yesterday and it was quite busy with all their 3 br townhomes already accounted for.

https://mosaichomes.com/property/victoria/

I think it was ~750k for 3br + den + 2.5ba and around 1550 sq ft. The place looked really nice, but the commute into Vancouver was far too long for what we wanted.
You can pretty much by the same product today throughout Burke Mountain for the same price. Polygon built several complexes of tandem garage townhouses on Burke over the last 5 years.

If you want to be closer to Vancouver with bus service to the Skytrain outside your front door, there are similar types of homes in Heritage Woods in Port Moody for under 800K.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:09 PM   #12150
G
Banned (BBM)

Failed 86 Times in 39 Posts
Sad... slow down in market plus a new tower completed recently in my development, hindsight shoulda sold earlier
G is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: