REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #12451
I don't get it

Failed 285 Times in 77 Posts
I'd be surprised to hear if the conditions still allow for that people on kinged and oak are getting barely about assessed value last I heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
A friend who got bought out on oak got about 3x assessed.
Advertisement
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #12452
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 6 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
I'd be surprised to hear if the conditions still allow for that people on kinged and oak are getting barely about assessed value last I heard.
I'm actually working on a land assembly around that area, and the owners are getting slightly less than 3x assessed. I'm definitely interested in watching to see if people will still be getting that IF the market decides to continue to slow as development has definitely slowed a bit.

www.instagram.com/yourdigitalrealtor
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #12453
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
you'd be insane not to take 3X assessed, i dont care if your great great grandfather was born in the shed lol
Old 07-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #12454
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
you'd be insane not to take 3X assessed, i dont care if your great great grandfather was born in the shed lol
Yeah, you've basically hit the RE jackpot on that one. Sell it at 3x assessed value, move into a condo, and enjoy life with the rest of it
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #12455
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 41 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

I said NO!
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #12456
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
You could get back into another detached even and still sit pretty for retirement with zero savings prior
Old 07-23-2018, 06:27 PM   #12457
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
That's her problem having 3 kids. If you can't even afford to to have one kid why have 3? Her own fault.
situations change
people get divorced
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #12458
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Ugh. Every one of your posts reads like this.
Quote:
Its not me, so I don't care, or understand.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2018, 09:56 PM   #12459
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
situations change
people get divorced
If she actually gets divorced she should be getting child assistance from her ex husband and from the gov as well (from the sound of things she seems like she is consider low income) plus a father who is disable. Just from gov assistance alone is at least 4k a month. More than what a lot of people make in this city. Not to mention with her situation she most likely get rent assistance from the gov as well. Not much but still is worth something.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:29 PM   #12460
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Here's a weird one for you guys... my friend live in a townhouse complex, old style with carports... so she bought a little GMC Sonoma... older one extended cab with short bed it's maybe the size of a Camry... didn't think anything of it... she parks it in her carport... get a letter from her strata saying they have a clause that no pickup trucks are allowed in the complex????

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? It seems absolutely ridiculous to me. She's trying to figure out if there's any way to fight it.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:53 PM   #12461
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Here's a weird one for you guys... my friend live in a townhouse complex, old style with carports... so she bought a little GMC Sonoma... older one extended cab with short bed it's maybe the size of a Camry... didn't think anything of it... she parks it in her carport... get a letter from her strata saying they have a clause that no pickup trucks are allowed in the complex????

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? It seems absolutely ridiculous to me. She's trying to figure out if there's any way to fight it.
If strata has a clause on it, I don't think there is very much your friend can do other than park it on the nearby street. But I'd at least force the strata's hand into producing the said clause among its bylaws first to make sure they aren't making shxt up.

In a sense, I can sort of understand where the strata might be coming from -- if the vehicle has any part that is sticking beyond the car port, that could be argued as the vehicle trespassing and occupying strata common property. But something like that shouldn't be limited to trucks -- it should apply to any vehicle that sticks out beyond the car port.

Strata bylaws can also be super ridiculous at times. Saw in the news a few weeks ago that a strata corp in Chemainus (on the Island) actually voted (and passed!) a bylaw that bans bike riding and chalk drawings in the neighbourhood streets.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...play-1.4735653

Seriously WTF?! What did the strata expect children to do in their free time / play time???
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:56 PM   #12462

On a different note, I was chatting with a friend who works as a notary. Much to my surprise, he was telling me that he has been swamped at work lately doing real estate transactions, with most of them being apartments / condos, a much smaller number in townhouses, and very few detached homes.

So from his POV, he doesn't think the RE market is cooling at all. It's just that the vast majority of the action is happening with apartments and condos.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:07 AM   #12463
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
On a different note, I was chatting with a friend who works as a notary. Much to my surprise, he was telling me that he has been swamped at work lately doing real estate transactions, with most of them being apartments / condos, a much smaller number in townhouses, and very few detached homes.

So from his POV, he doesn't think the RE market is cooling at all. It's just that the vast majority of the action is happening with apartments and condos.
Because that's what people afford now. Most of them are also one bedroom or one bedroom plus den. 2bedroom apartment have been sitting in the market longer or not getting sold at all. During my search right now for a 2 bedroom some of the less desirable units have had multiple price reduction and is still in the market. Most of these are either tenanted out (Basically it needs a major reno), facing bad directions or the layout is just weird.

Location plays a factor also. Before you can sell even if the area sucks. Now people actually think about the location.

If anyone is buying now I would advise NOT buying anything that face west (NW and W being the worse) especially if the apartment you are looking at is lower than 20th floor. Simply is too hot and you will regret it.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:09 AM   #12464
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 206 Times in 75 Posts
It's fine if you have central ac
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #12465
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Failed 54 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
Until you get your hydro bill
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:44 AM   #12466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
I have it and is awesome but still not as good as when the direction is good.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:45 AM   #12467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Until you get your hydro bill
If it is central air is included in your strata fee.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:08 AM   #12468
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
I think the fan motor is still wired to your circuit

On that notary issue, maybe your friend is the cheapest notary in town and everyone is flocking there

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:19 AM   #12469

Quote:
If anyone is buying now I would advise NOT buying anything that face west (NW and W being the worse) especially if the apartment you are looking at is lower than 20th floor. Simply is too hot and you will regret it.
Isn't that just basic knowledge for any home buyers? Of course, it is a much bigger problem for apartment units since the the windows are more likely to only face one direction, while townhouses and detached will generally have windows in at least 2 opposing directions (if not more).

East, west, north, south... each direction brings unique characteristics to the home. West facing (esp apartments) are the least desirable, while south facing is generally the most desirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
On that notary issue, maybe your friend is the cheapest notary in town and everyone is flocking there
Could be. Or maybe he has a good reputation.

But the point he, as far as he is concerned, he doesn't think there is very much of a slow down in the market. Properties are still moving; it's just the type that changes because as HappySilp has pointed out, apartments and condos are what people can afford.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:20 AM   #12470
RS controls my life!

Failed 22 Times in 9 Posts
On a related note - notaries > lawyers for real estate deals. I know there's a few on RS but I was surprised to hear in BC there's only about 200 notaries and over 10,000+ lawyers.

Why pay $1,500+ when you can do it for under $1K for notaries?
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2018, 09:24 AM   #12471

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
On a related note - notaries > lawyers for real estate deals. I know there's a few on RS but I was surprised to hear in BC there's only about 200 notaries and over 10,000+ lawyers.

Why pay $1,500+ when you can do it for under $1K for notaries?
Also worth mentioning is (but this is hardly surprising) -- not all notaries are the same. Some are more thorough than others, and some are more crooked than others as well. You wanna work with one that has a good reputation.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #12472
RS controls my life!

Failed 22 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
Langley
Alexander Square
Another budget starter home marketed by 5th Ave (last deal was Avani) 70% sold out yesterday.
$279K for 520ft starting, 6 story lowrise.
15% deposit in a year, avg $600/sqft.
Willoughby area.
Nothing below $350K right now, still not bad for the area, though needs LRT or some sort of Skytrain system. Won't be in 5-7 years though.

Presales UPDATE July 2018

Brentwood
Gilmore PlaceAfter 4 months of marketing, finally told I got my client's allocations for Gilmore Place. ONNI.
$1000/ft, 1% assignment fee
Tower 1 & 3 all allocated I'm told.

Burquiltlam/Coquitlam
City of Lougheed 2 is starting VIP this week. $1000/ft.
$569,000 for 1BR 570FT.
Tower 2 of 20...+? Wonder what pricing will be like for Tower 10+
Old 07-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #12473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Isn't that just basic knowledge for any home buyers? Of course, it is a much bigger problem for apartment units since the the windows are more likely to only face one direction, while townhouses and detached will generally have windows in at least 2 opposing directions (if not more).

East, west, north, south... each direction brings unique characteristics to the home. West facing (esp apartments) are the least desirable, while south facing is generally the most desirable.

Could be. Or maybe he has a good reputation.

But the point he, as far as he is concerned, he doesn't think there is very much of a slow down in the market. Properties are still moving; it's just the type that changes because as HappySilp has pointed out, apartments and condos are what people can afford.
You have no idea how many buy into facing West. Went to see an open last week literally the living room and one of the bedroom is facing west. Is so hot even even with the A/C on (landlord have a portable A/C) and I am still sweating inside. There are some people who think they can bear the heat while saving a few thousand dollars. My mom's friend brought in an corner unit NW coz the price is 10k cheaper. Well now during summer is too hot to be inside so they go to the mall or other friend place in the afternoon coz is way too hot. And in winter is super cold. So is pretty bad. I rather have little to no view and get an apartment facing East or South then West with a nice view.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #12474
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
Our condo is south facing, but the balcony overhang blocks the direct sunlight from getting into the unit. So we get all the benefits of the brightness of south facing, without the negatives. The place gets warm being in a lowrise with no AC, but not too bad.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #12475
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
South-east facing baby!

sure beats the summertime heat in the North-west facing condo we used to live in

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote