REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #12551
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Never fails to amaze me how some sellers / property owners can be so out of touch with reality. If your unit sat for 3 months, it means the listing has gotten stale and people are not going to be interested in the price you are asking for. If the seller wants to have the unit moved, he has to re-align his expectations and the asking price to reflect the market reality.
I couldn't agree more, the whole idea of market value is the price that the market will pay. If your sitting for months on end you're obviously above market, people need to get a clue.
Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #12552
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Assessed value is such a funny thing when it comes to Property Tax and what have you.

My wife and I looked at a house (open house) in the spring, it was a nice house we've been flirting with moving and we met a realtor there who was actually not to pushy and nice. Anyone who's done open houses knows that besides selling the house one of the major purposes of the open house is so the realtors can try and get new clients and they always want to know if you have an agent.

Long story short we like this agent so we made an appointment for her to assess our house, interview and possibly use her. We were interested in the other house but I felt it was overpriced for the area. When we met with her she went through our house, comparable homes in the area and all that jazz.

She comes up with a number that is closed to our assessed tax value, I asked her how much stock she puts into that value or how often it's close to market value. She say's it's actually pretty close most times. I then asked her why the other house she was selling 4kms from us was 15% more then the assessed value. You could have heard a pin drop.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #12553
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acurapinoy View Post
Nice. Gooduck!. Where abouts is this and is your 600k offer below the assessed value?
Quote:
Never fails to amaze me how some sellers / property owners can be so out of touch with reality. If your unit sat for 3 months, it means the listing has gotten stale and people are not going to be interested in the price you are asking for. If the seller wants to have the unit moved, he has to re-align his expectations and the asking price to reflect the market reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I couldn't agree more, the whole idea of market value is the price that the market will pay. If your sitting for months on end you're obviously above market, people need to get a clue.
Bad timing lol. Looks like there is another offer put in this morning. The seller's agent is basically drumming up for a bidding war, letting my agent know since there is another party interested the seller expected to be over his asking price for x% now. I just said fuck it I am putting in 600k and if I get it fine, if not the other party can overpay. There is always other units out there, just have to be patient. I mean am not in a hurry and to be honest the place needs some fixing, needs to repaint the walls, charge the blinds, redo the floors that's going to be 5k to 7k.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #12554
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some sellers can afford to hold off even if their market wasn't sold right away. But I'm not buying it will go over asking though after sitting in market for 3 months. Worst case for them is get 620 or their asking.. if they get over asking then they are lucky.
Acurapinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:50 PM   #12555
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

^^ It was a rental unit for and after tenant left owner decided to sell it and didn't want to rent it out again. I am pretty sure they can leave it empty but is it actually worth it. The longer it is in the market the less interested it becomes. But either way I am not going over my budget. I can go higher but imo is not worth it.

Not sure if seller can do this but can the seller actually lie and tell interested buyer there is another bid or offer hoping that you would put in a higher offer? We think it happen to my sister in law. Basically he was looking for a place and put an offer in, it got rejected. Then a few weeks later the seller's agent contacted his agent saying there is another offer but if he could increase his offer he might get the place. So he actually up in an higher offer (like 8k more) and got the place. At that time me and my sister were thinking the sller's agent is lying and there aren't any other buyers but you can't really prove it. Is it illegal to do this? and how could you tell? I mean there is no prof you can get your hands on......

If I was him I would have put in an even lower offer or the same offer I put in before if the seller's agent contact me after they rejected my first offer and came back again. To me it shows there are no buyers and the seller is hoping to sell it ASAP and get a bigger profit. So I would be an Ass and put in a lower or same offer to troll them.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:09 PM   #12556
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,510 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
@Traum @Mr.Happyslip

Couldn't that seller just be posting on the market as a feeler. Like if it sells for $630k Yay, if not I'll just live in it. Or realtors don't like that....

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:26 PM   #12557
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,097 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Bad timing lol. Looks like there is another offer put in this morning. The seller's agent is basically drumming up for a bidding war, letting my agent know since there is another party interested the seller expected to be over his asking price for x% now. I just said fuck it I am putting in 600k and if I get it fine, if not the other party can overpay. There is always other units out there, just have to be patient. I mean am not in a hurry and to be honest the place needs some fixing, needs to repaint the walls, charge the blinds, redo the floors that's going to be 5k to 7k.
Rightly or wrongly I’m typically cynical when it comes to realtors in situations like this. It’s been there for months and suddenly two offers in a day.. I’d be skeptical they aren’t just trying to squeeze some extra bucks out of you for more commission. Could be the sellers agent, yours or both.. shady business practices aren’t too uncommon in this profession, sadly.

You’ve done the right thing by standing firm on your offer. Sometimes buyers don’t have that choice and have to make quick/pressured decisions if they need a place by a certain date. Unfortunately, there are shitty people who capitalize on people in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #12558
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post

Long story short we like this agent so we made an appointment for her to assess our house, interview and possibly use her. We were interested in the other house but I felt it was overpriced for the area. When we met with her she went through our house, comparable homes in the area and all that jazz.

She comes up with a number that is closed to our assessed tax value, I asked her how much stock she puts into that value or how often it's close to market value. She say's it's actually pretty close most times. I then asked her why the other house she was selling 4kms from us was 15% more then the assessed value. You could have heard a pin drop.

What happened afterwards?
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #12559
I subscribe to Revscene

Failed 42 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
^^ It was a rental unit for and after tenant left owner decided to sell it and didn't want to rent it out again. I am pretty sure they can leave it empty but is it actually worth it. The longer it is in the market the less interested it becomes. But either way I am not going over my budget. I can go higher but imo is not worth it.

Not sure if seller can do this but can the seller actually lie and tell interested buyer there is another bid or offer hoping that you would put in a higher offer? We think it happen to my sister in law. Basically he was looking for a place and put an offer in, it got rejected. Then a few weeks later the seller's agent contacted his agent saying there is another offer but if he could increase his offer he might get the place. So he actually up in an higher offer (like 8k more) and got the place. At that time me and my sister were thinking the sller's agent is lying and there aren't any other buyers but you can't really prove it. Is it illegal to do this? and how could you tell? I mean there is no prof you can get your hands on......

If I was him I would have put in an even lower offer or the same offer I put in before if the seller's agent contact me after they rejected my first offer and came back again. To me it shows there are no buyers and the seller is hoping to sell it ASAP and get a bigger profit. So I would be an Ass and put in a lower or same offer to troll them.
I'm kind of in the same boat as you but looking at putting offers on detached homes. An issue I run into with the offering process, is getting a timely response from the selling realtor. For example, I got my realtor to draft and finalize almost immediately after seeing an open house on Sunday (2-4PM). Offer placed at 5pm but selling realtor did not confirm or deny receipt. Set the time to 11:59pm next day and no answer from the selling realtor until Tuesday morning saying it was too low. He suggests there's another party who will be offering and asks that we just "throw our best offer via text/call and they will answer yes or no ASAP" as promised. Fuck this ain't eBay. I threw another offer this time a bit more with intent to buy on a formal offer sheet. This time, set the time a little earlier at 8pm. Threw offer in the same Tuesday and they didn't respond again. Don't know if they even had a legit offer but technically it could've just been a bluff move. Was hoping to at least play but seems like people are just holding tightly to their properties late in summer cycle just to test the waters.
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #12560

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Rightly or wrongly I’m typically cynical when it comes to realtors in situations like this. It’s been there for months and suddenly two offers in a day.. I’d be skeptical they aren’t just trying to squeeze some extra bucks out of you for more commission. Could be the sellers agent, yours or both.. shady business practices aren’t too uncommon in this profession, sadly.

You’ve done the right thing by standing firm on your offer. Sometimes buyers don’t have that choice and have to make quick/pressured decisions if they need a place by a certain date. Unfortunately, there are shitty people who capitalize on people in this situation.
Don't think is my agent. He is been friends with my cousin for years and my cousin have been buying and selling houses and apartments for years. I don't think he would try to pull something like this just to make a few thousand dollars.

Maybe the seller's agent? The agent I am using kinda of know the sller's agent. He does a lot of pre sales and selling pre sales. Seems to be a very experience person.

Either way I submitted my offer and that's that. I mean the place is nice but not worth what the seller is asking. But I mean what's how it is with buying. You have x amount of cash so you have to work within that amount. There are going to be sacrifices just depends on what you find important.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:53 PM   #12561
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
@Happyslip
I think the seller's agent suddenly telling you there is another offer is itself shady AF. I would not be surprised if she is lying and making shxt up. Legal issues aside, I'm sure it is against the real estate board's codes and ethics of conduct. But the problem is how you can prove the existence of a 2nd buyer. The selling agent can easily claim that the other potential buyer said he would make an offer, even if they didn't actually submit one. It isn't the selling agent's fault that the other potential buyer didn't follow through in delivering a paper offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
@Traum @Mr.Happyslip

Couldn't that seller just be posting on the market as a feeler. Like if it sells for $630k Yay, if not I'll just live in it. Or realtors don't like that....
IMO, it is certainly possible for the owner to only put out a feeler, but that doesn't change my sentiments towards the owner. If your unit has been sitting for 3 months, and you aren't receiving any offers close to what the owner's real, expected, and satisfactory selling price, the only plausible explanation is -- the owner is out of touch with the market! I wanna sell my POS daily beater for Porsche money, but that isn't what the market will pay. I'd be totally out to lunch with that kind of expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA9ve View Post
I'm kind of in the same boat as you but looking at putting offers on detached homes. An issue I run into with the offering process, is getting a timely response from the selling realtor. For example, I got my realtor to draft and finalize almost immediately after seeing an open house on Sunday (2-4PM). Offer placed at 5pm but selling realtor did not confirm or deny receipt. Set the time to 11:59pm next day and no answer from the selling realtor until Tuesday morning saying it was too low. He suggests there's another party who will be offering and asks that we just "throw our best offer via text/call and they will answer yes or no ASAP" as promised. Fuck this ain't eBay. I threw another offer this time a bit more with intent to buy on a formal offer sheet. This time, set the time a little earlier at 8pm. Threw offer in the same Tuesday and they didn't respond again. Don't know if they even had a legit offer but technically it could've just been a bluff move. Was hoping to at least play but seems like people are just holding tightly to their properties late in summer cycle just to test the waters.
From my experience in working with realtors, generally if you don't hear back from the other side (even if it is just acknowledging the receiving of your offer), you can pretty much expect that your offer has been received, but isn't being considered to be a contender. The selling side's agent *always* receives the offer. To a lesser extend, your own realtor should also consider it his responsibility to make sure that the other side received the offer.

Agents commonly use some VeriSigned-certified digital offer service to help them with the process nowadays. Nothing needs to be done on pen and paper if the agent doesn't want to. The chances of a realtor "not receiving" an offer is therefore extremely low. If they didn't respond in a timely manner, it just means they didn't want to (most likely cuz they didn't think your offer was worth their time).
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2018, 08:39 PM   #12562
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...loan-1.4750819

Oh God, these fuckers were in the news recently. Why has their collective cockroach laden empire not collapsed yet? Political influence?
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:21 PM   #12563

Offer accepted is around 5k over my budget but I guess 5k isn't all that much in the whole picture of things when you are spending that much. Sigh going to miss my A/C..... good thing I move out end of Aug so by end it shouldn't be that hot anymore.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2018, 10:49 PM   #12564

So it sold for 605? (Sorry if I missed your post about the budget) 5k over 25 yrs is nothing if you loved the place/location..if you didn't then just move on to the nexf
Old 07-31-2018, 06:08 AM   #12565

Quote:
So it sold for 605? (Sorry if I missed your post about the budget) 5k over 25 yrs is nothing if you loved the place/location..if you didn't then just move on to the nexf
Around 609k but agent is giving back half of his commission back so that's around 4 to 5k. So around 605k? 5K over my budget. I am sure if I press harder it can be done around 600k since seller is oversea even the seller's agent was having a hard time to reach the seller and getting every sign. Oh well I figure 5k over is somewhat acceptable.

Now the fun park begins, have to get the bank draft later this afternoon, see the lawyer tomorrow, home inspection on Thurs and subject removal is Friday...... Not to mention I still have to go through all the paper work (minutes, bylaw, budget report, depreciation report etc etc...)
Old 07-31-2018, 07:58 AM   #12566
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Wait, shouldn't you have done the reports before hand.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:13 AM   #12567

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
Wait, shouldn't you have done the reports before hand.
Been looking at the docs since Monday but is still a lot to go through. Financial report looks like the minutes form 2016 is fine. A bit strict with the bylaw.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:22 AM   #12568

Oh you got the place! I thought someone else got it for 5k more.. the seller got a decent price for it at 609.especially if he rented it out during the peak selling times. How much did a similar unit like this one sell for a few months back?

Goodluck with everything! Thats a quick closing timeframe
Old 07-31-2018, 08:31 AM   #12569
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
$5k over what the HappySlip was prepared to spend is really nothing when it comes to our real estate prices. I've lost a bid on a property that I quite liked because the transaction price was $10k more than what I was prepared to pay. In hindsight, I should really have offered $15k on top of what I wrote down (ie. $5k more than the competing bid).

Unless HappySlip plans on staying there for the next 25 yrs though, I think you need to look at that as $5k over the amount of time you're prepared to stay there for. If he plans on having kids, the place may only be good for another 2 - 3 yrs. Or if the building turns out to require more maintenance $$$ than he is prepared to spend, then he might be moving out in 10 yrs instead of 20.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2018, 08:50 AM   #12570

Quote:
$5k over what the HappySlip was prepared to spend is really nothing when it comes to our real estate prices. I've lost a bid on a property that I quite liked because the transaction price was $10k more than what I was prepared to pay. In hindsight, I should really have offered $15k on top of what I wrote down (ie. $5k more than the competing bid).

Unless HappySlip plans on staying there for the next 25 yrs though, I think you need to look at that as $5k over the amount of time you're prepared to stay there for. If he plans on having kids, the place may only be good for another 2 - 3 yrs. Or if the building turns out to require more maintenance $$$ than he is prepared to spend, then he might be moving out in 10 yrs instead of 20.
Current plan is to rent the other room out ($800 to $1000/mo) right now I am single and I go back to my parents place pretty often (3 to 4 times a week to help cook while my mom take care of my niece). I am not at home all that much so living with someone else is fine with me. Most likely going to keep the place for 5 to 7 years before I decide to move weather I have a family or not. The strata seems to be on top of things and most owners did vote to increase strata fees to build the contingency fund for future maintenance (which is great since a lot of the apartment that's used for rentals the owner always vote to defer any maintenance work being done which turns the building into shit).
Old 07-31-2018, 03:33 PM   #12571
I don't get it

Failed 285 Times in 77 Posts
based on an annual interest rate of 47 per cent.
hahahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...loan-1.4750819

Oh God, these fuckers were in the news recently. Why has their collective cockroach laden empire not collapsed yet? Political influence?
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:10 PM   #12572
G
Banned (BBM)

Failed 86 Times in 39 Posts
Got an accepted offer on my 1 BR condo at WCCP, went through 1 open house weekend and got 1 offer on Monday. Listed $589,900 and sold it below that sadly... waiting on them to remove subject to financing now
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:18 PM   #12573
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 37 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Got an accepted offer on my 1 BR condo at WCCP, went through 1 open house weekend and got 1 offer on Monday. Listed $589,900 and sold it below that sadly... waiting on them to remove subject to financing now
I think I saw your listing. Is it on the 6th floor? 597sqft? If so, I think $589,900 is quite a reasonable listing price. Personally I would've waited for more offers but that is just my opinion. I don't want to intrude on what you decide for your financial future because everyone's circumstances are different. Yes the market is slow, but if you're not in a rush I'd wait for another open house. Every realtor does things differently but there was a unit on Nelson (Met2) which was listed for a month. Listed at $620k and after 3 weeks of an open house, they got offers that were higher than what was originally given in the first week.

But if I knew I could get your place below $589,900 for 597sqft, that's a steal compared to the one I bought at $560k for 520sqft. A similar unit during peak pricing sold for $600k for a 520sqft unit (but remember this was during the peak).
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
G
Old 07-31-2018, 11:23 PM   #12574
G
Banned (BBM)

Failed 86 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yameen View Post
I think I saw your listing. Is it on the 6th floor? 597sqft? If so, I think $589,900 is quite a reasonable listing price. Personally I would've waited for more offers but that is just my opinion. I don't want to intrude on what you decide for your financial future because everyone's circumstances are different. Yes the market is slow, but if you're not in a rush I'd wait for another open house. Every realtor does things differently but there was a unit on Nelson (Met2) which was listed for a month. Listed at $620k and after 3 weeks of an open house, they got offers that were higher than what was originally given in the first week.

But if I knew I could get your place below $589,900 for 597sqft, that's a steal compared to the one I bought at $560k for 520sqft. A similar unit during peak pricing sold for $600k for a 520sqft unit (but remember this was during the peak).
Yep that was my listing. During last open house there was a total of 4 groups that came. Only 1 was interested to offer on it. Yea, I mean, I am sure I could have waited, but I am trying my luck on a two bedroom assignment right now. My realtor said that its definitely slow at the moment and the three towers combined have 30-40 listings. I think right now theres just too much competition in the development for 1 bedrooms.

I wish I knew you earlier so that you can buy mine haha. I knew I couldn't get anything higher since I was hitting close to same psf prices as Metrotown which shouldn't be possible.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:00 AM   #12575

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I would wait is only one open house. I kinda of expect at least a month before I would get an offer for mine but the buyer went over my asking so meh. You could always counter offer.