REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #12851
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
The gov have to change the mindset of people that they don't need to own a house (apartment/townhome) are ok. Even renting is fine.
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #12852
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 56 Times in 36 Posts
^gov changing peoples mindset wouldn't make sense to them. Renting doesn't really make them money, giving out mortgages does...but I say "giving" them out with a grain of salt. They are making it difficult for people to get mortgages with the stress test and bank interest rates..
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #12853
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
first time home owners,

5% down, government backed mortgages

kill all helocs

dont you worry guys

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #12854
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
The gov have to change the mindset of people that they don't need to own a house (apartment/townhome) are ok. Even renting is fine.
The mindset of permanently renting as OK is possible, but to do it there would have to be enough inventory of units that aren't co-habitation with the landlord (IE Full houses, condos, townhouses to rent, not basement suites)
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #12855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
The mindset of permanently renting as OK is possible, but to do it there would have to be enough inventory of units that aren't co-habitation with the landlord (IE Full houses, condos, townhouses to rent, not basement suites)
so what happens when millennial/gen Y hit retirement age? Traditionally renting is always cheaper than buying, trends have proven otherwise. CPP/OAS would not support anyone at all.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
Old 08-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #12856
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
so what happens when millennial/gen Y hit retirement age? Traditionally renting is always cheaper than buying, trends have proven otherwise. CPP/OAS would not support anyone at all.
who cares, by then we'd all have died from smoke inhalation.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #12857

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
I didn't know buying a house was the only investment vehicle for retirement?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #12858
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I imagine that he bought something like this?

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R22711...roperty_search

It's a lot to stomach for a strata townhouse, but my in-laws purchased an end unit in this complex and you can't beat the sunsets or the views. For comparison, a house across the street from this unit on Sycamore Drive is nearly $1.6 million: https://www.rew.ca/properties/R22843...roperty_search

Like I said earlier, the median household income for families with children in Heritage Woods is 160K. When you have a family, there are reasons why people would choose to live in a community such as this one.
It is pricey but this one is pretty damn nice..
Acurapinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #12859

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
who cares, by then we'd all have died from smoke inhalation.
stfu u pleb, i'll rock my canned air till I'm 105 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I didn't know buying a house was the only investment vehicle for retirement?
Well if you're blowing 60% of income to rent, how can you save

oh wait, forgot about parents, they are a investment vehicle too

Quote:

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2018, 11:17 AM   #12860

well update #2 doesn't look like we are getting any offers today as per my realtor. Who knows things could change but he also said out of all his listings we are the ones that are getting any traction whatever that means. He has said our listing is getting calls everyday and no offers as of yet. It hasn't been a week yet but does suck just waiting...I guess the waiting game will continue!
Old 08-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #12861

Just be patient Nabatron.. if you're house is competitive and nice then it should be a matter of time. Don't show any panic or anything to your realtor or buyer realtor as it could affect your price. Unless u of course want to move asap
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #12862

^thanks my dude! yeah we aren't in a huge rush to move wife still has to work a few months for her matt leave starts. Somewhat disappointing on no offers but I guess still have to realize how the market is right now, also that it hasn't been on the market for a week as well. He said just to stay the course and not worry. The place shows well and is move in ready, just need someone the right person haha
Old 08-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #12863

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
well update #2 doesn't look like we are getting any offers today as per my realtor. Who knows things could change but he also said out of all his listings we are the ones that are getting any traction whatever that means. He has said our listing is getting calls everyday and no offers as of yet. It hasn't been a week yet but does suck just waiting...I guess the waiting game will continue!
Maybe I'm skeptical and a prick but the realtors in sales he probably tells everyone of his clients that. It's like when I follow up on a bid we made on a project, they like to tell you that it was close you were second to keep you bidding no matter where your bid really was.

Maybe I'm wrong, I hope I am. I'm just a jaded miserable old man.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #12864

^true true rather here that to keep my hopes up lol
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #12865
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
I think if you are really looking to sell, just be realistic with the pricing and everything.

Truth is, we are in a buyer market. Or at the very least, buyers have that slight advantage when it comes to negotiation.

So, market it accordingly to your situation.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #12866
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Maybe I'm skeptical and a prick but the realtors in sales he probably tells everyone of his clients that. It's like when I follow up on a bid we made on a project, they like to tell you that it was close you were second to keep you bidding no matter where your bid really was.

Maybe I'm wrong, I hope I am. I'm just a jaded miserable old man.
Nah, I see it in the same way as well. The realtor's job is to help him sell his place. If he's not getting any solid offers, then his best bet is to give him hope and string him along in hopes that he doesn't ditch him for someone else.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #12867
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 16 Times in 13 Posts
I was one of the "lucky" ones that bought a (now) $1M townhouse in Richmond in 2011. I seriously thought about upgrading to a house this year, but there's a number of factors to consider.

Yes, there are houses for $1.2M, but they tend to be the same size as my townhouse or they need a TON of work. Anything livable would be around $1.5M. While that doesn't sound like a huge jump, that would still be a $1M mortgage for me and more than double my current mortgage.

I have seriously considered buying a place with a mortgage helper, but there are not that many options in Richmond at that price range. I also am somewhat picky about what neighborhood I live in.

At the end of the day, we've pretty much decided we're going to stay put for now. It would be nice to have extra space for my kids, but they've never known anything different from my townhouse so they won't complain. My wife and I have decided we're pretty content with what we have. Also, having a smaller mortgage payment is considerably less financial stress and gives me flexibility to take vacations and buy nicer cars. This is Revscene, right?
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #12868

That's exactly what I mean a few post back.. if u were lucky to buy before on the cheap end..I don't see a reason to upgrade (unless u are in a condo and end up having kids etc). But in your situation, I'd stay put as well and just try to pay off the house sooner and just enjoy haha.

Or move to Okanagan with me and Nabatron
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2018, 01:22 PM   #12869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I think if you are really looking to sell, just be realistic with the pricing and everything.

Truth is, we are in a buyer market. Or at the very least, buyers have that slight advantage when it comes to negotiation.

So, market it accordingly to your situation.
Realistic? The RE market as a whole needs to be realistic! I have priced mine accordingly compared to all the other places around us..
Old 08-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #12870
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
At the end of the day, we've pretty much decided we're going to stay put for now. It would be nice to have extra space for my kids, but they've never known anything different from my townhouse so they won't complain. My wife and I have decided we're pretty content with what we have. Also, having a smaller mortgage payment is considerably less financial stress and gives me flexibility to take vacations and buy nicer cars. This is Revscene, right?
This is the best approach, imo.

I'm going to assume you have young kids, so I've always been in the mindset that it'd be better to have a 'smaller' space if it meant you weren't anchored to a massive mortgage. The amount of money and stress that it frees up for you to spend with the kids going on vacations and enjoying life is well worth it.

My parents paid off their mortgage really quickly when I was a kid, but that wasn't without any sacrifices. We never really went on any family vacations, except for the odd road trip down to Seattle or Victoria. I was always very jealous of all the other kids that would go on their annual summer vacation with the family, while I was stuck at home watching tv/playing in the backyard/video games. I don't really hold any sort of resentment towards my parents because of it, since they just wanted to get rid of that mortgage ASAP. I do wish they lessened up a bit on the mentality that the mortgage had to be done ASAP and spend some money doing other young family things like vacations.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #12871
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
so what happens when millennial/gen Y hit retirement age?
Lol @ thinking any government, NDP, Conservative, Liberal, Green, whoever, cares about any future beyond their 4-year term. If the government thought about the long-term impacts of a hugely inflated housing market, they wouldn't have let things get this bad in the first place. Hell, Christy Clark didn't just play with fire, she soaked the matches in gasoline by actively travelling to China to sell BC as an investment opportunity. To pull a quote from Tokyo Drift...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2018, 04:37 PM   #12872

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post

My parents paid off their mortgage really quickly when I was a kid, but that wasn't without any sacrifices. We never really went on any family vacations, except for the odd road trip down to Seattle or Victoria. I was always very jealous of all the other kids that would go on their annual summer vacation with the family, while I was stuck at home watching tv/playing in the backyard/video games. I don't really hold any sort of resentment towards my parents because of it, since they just wanted to get rid of that mortgage ASAP. I do wish they lessened up a bit on the mentality that the mortgage had to be done ASAP and spend some money doing other young family things like vacations.
Did we have the same parents?

Furthest my parents took us was camping on Vancouver Island or the Okanagan. They threw everything on the mortgage, paid off their house in 10 years or something like that.
Liquid_o2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #12873
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Did we have the same parents?

Furthest my parents took us was camping on Vancouver Island or the Okanagan. They threw everything on the mortgage, paid off their house in 10 years or something like that.
My parents aren't the outdoorsy type, so we stuck to cities that had Chinatowns

I think my parents paid off their mortgage around that same time frame as well. My parents were always really proud of the fact that they got it paid off so quickly through their own money without any financial help whatsoever.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:56 PM   #12874
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 16 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
This is the best approach, imo.

I'm going to assume you have young kids, so I've always been in the mindset that it'd be better to have a 'smaller' space if it meant you weren't anchored to a massive mortgage. The amount of money and stress that it frees up for you to spend with the kids going on vacations and enjoying life is well worth it.

Maybe it's the new reality, but I just presumed I would have a mortgage a fairly long time. Also, this is a a different era than when our parents had mortgages in the 80's.

I just renewed at 2.45% variable. In the 80s, they were approaching 20% so it made a lot of sense to pay off your mortgage as fast as possible. The rate is sufficiently low these days I feel fairly comfortable with a large mortgage.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #12875

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
My mom was telling me how they bought their first house in 1980 for $60,000 and my dad only made $29,000 and she only made about $10,000 and we shouldn't complain because mortgage rates are so low ...

$39,000/year in 1979 is equivalent to $130,000/year today according to Bank of Canada's inflation calculator ... and $60,000 is equivalent to $200,000 today ...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if my SO and I made $130k/year combined (with no post secondary education) and were buying a $200k house, we'd have paid it off by now, regardless of interest rate.

Boomers, man ... they need to get their abacuses out before judging ...
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote