REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #13376
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 81 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CED` View Post
and why can't we publicly name the developers again?
Let’s make a list Developers with shoddy complaints. I’ll start

Onni
Westbanks
Advertisement
Blueboy222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #13377
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Haha we’d just end up with a list of every developer in the city.
Truthfully though after a little over 2 years I’m pretty happy with the build quality from Adera. The parking spots are bullshit small, but that’s been my only issue here.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #13378
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 13 Times in 7 Posts
what's the issue with Westbank? didn't they build Shangri-La?
R1CED` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #13379
I STILL don't get it

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was this video posted somewhere in this thread on this WestBank apartment

Basically just shoddy workmanship and quality issues due to the developer's pressures onto the subcontractors to minimize cost to meet their budget.
This affected quality of the material, workmanship (e.g. electrical wiring, build)
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:45 PM   #13380
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Isn't it typically the case that when demand goes up quality goes down?
I feel like a lot of these condos built in the past five years and on will see problems within ten or fifteen years.

Though i have absolutely no experience in development or contracting so take my comment with a grain of salt i suppose.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #13381
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
West Bank build my
Moms place in Victoria. Finish in.... err 2006? I think their has been continuous warranty work done since then. So much that I think insurance took over lol. Mind you, this place was built in the peak of building backing then. I think 12 year olds were tiling the pool. Lol
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2018, 03:35 AM   #13382

Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,196 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Has the floor plans for One Central been released yet? How's the reputation of Aoyuan International?
Or any other news regarding One Central?

Their website doesn't say much, only to register for more information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #13383

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Haha we’d just end up with a list of every developer in the city.
Truthfully though after a little over 2 years I’m pretty happy with the build quality from Adera. The parking spots are bullshit small, but that’s been my only issue here.
Lol it should really just be why don't we list the name of fairly decent developers, would be faster.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #13384
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 25 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post

Although their prices are very attractive, I would be hesitant to buy in. I looked at their website and it looks like they've started a lot of projects in Australia and just beginning in Vancouver but to date, they have not completed a single one yet. Seeing that they are a Chinese backed company, I would proceed with caution. Best example is the Chinese development asking for an additional 15% from buyers or they "can't" complete the building due to "cost overrun".
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #13385
I bringith the lowerballerith

Failed 31 Times in 12 Posts
RE: Developers

Hi guys I've been creeping this thread but rarely posting and I would like to chime on the developer issue

Source: I'm a 2nd Generation Builder / Developer. No I am not EI. TBH don't make fun of EI, alot of them are talented and going forward most are the roots of the construction industry

Q: Why are most developers and builts shitty/crappy?
A: Let's face it we had a crazy real estate boom in the last 10 years. Basically any able body was put into the "trades" and things get built/put up faster.

You guys also need to understand the role as a developer.
The role as a developer is to develop the project through planning, design and somewhat of the built.

In terms of the build, all developers use contractors, subcontracts and these guys don't gave a shit. They also want to build it the fastest and at the cheapest price.

Q: Why is that Westbank Telus Robson Building Youtube Video such a shitty build?
A: I watched the first 5 minutes of it and here's what I concluded:
- Those cabinets look like they are from Italy and they are probably built there. So when they get shiipped and installed here at the buildng you could be totally off and even if you are off by 1/8" your cabinet doors can jamb or not sit flush
- Flooring , not sure why the laminate is chipping but you normally dont put green tape on it and that residue looks like its from the green tape
- Hole in the bathroom tile: gonna blame the plumber on this one. He probably installed the fittings too far so there's a 1/4" gap from the fixture to the tiles. Only fix is just to cap or caulk it off
- Uneven carpet in bedroom: Too bad man tough luck. I lived in a brand new built condo and it was the same thing. I mean after the pour they could have put more concrete to level it but no one does this.

Q: How come the quality is best a show homes / presentation centers?
A: It's a showhome and they gotta show you the best in order to lure you in to buy.
That same trade that built the showhome is most likely not the same trade that's gonna build your home

Q: Why is the build of my home so shitty?
A. You need to understand the construction process, each step/stage is it's own trade and pretty much your home is built piece meal

From start to finish there are probably a min 20 trades that built your home. Each trade would take it to a certain step and pass it on to the next. If the guy before you fucks up, and it's your stage you'll just do whatever you need to do to finish your work and call it a day. Large developers are not gonna put 1 guy to sit there and quality control your unit when lets say there are 200 units in a building.

Q: Who are the best builders and developers?
A: TBH there is none. The best one is the ones that build custom homes and the one you will pay the MOST too

Q: Would you recommend any builder or developer?
A: Honestly no. The finish product you will get depends on who built it and was on the job. YMMV and depends on how you luck out.

Feel free to like this post and ask any questions!
Old 10-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #13386
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Isn't it typically the case that when demand goes up quality goes down?
I feel like a lot of these condos built in the past five years and on will see problems within ten or fifteen years.

Though i have absolutely no experience in development or contracting so take my comment with a grain of salt i suppose.
You're not wrong, the issue is they compress the schedules and there is no flexibility on end dates so if anything runs over the whole project is fucked and something always runs over usually starts at concrete or glazing. The trades are forced to man up with unreasonable amounts of men, many not really all the qualified just there for body count to try and get the project completed on time. If you don't do that they'll bring in other contractors and back charge you, you're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

High rise residential construction is terrible IMO from a contractors point of view, the margins are so thin. You have some companies out there working on 5% overhead & 5% profit which leaves almost no room for any issues. I'd like to see Walmart operate on those margins.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #13387
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanghaiKid View Post

Yup. I work at Costco so I know very well your sentiments. We understand its not sustainable and our operations teams are coming up with innovative ways to solve these issues. If you look at some US costcos they've rolled out self checkouts at both the merchandise and food court levels. 3 self checkouts takes the space of 1 cashier. Get people out faster, so they can get in faster.

Quite honestly we just need more locations, but with land value being what it is and our low margins, its not feasible yet.
Just stop the Asian from buying everything in bulk and you solve your issue. When you have people buying out a feel cart of makeup (I mean like every single bottle) you have an issue coz no else can buy them. Same with diapers, baby formula, chocolate. Just put a limit on it. It sucks whenever I shop at Costco and see a person literally taking everything for that one item.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #13388
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I don’t care about that at Costco. What I care about is the complet fucking ignorance of morons there.

You park your cart on an angle in the middle of an aisle and then stand on either side of the cart blocking an entire 12 foot fucking aisle from all traffic, oblivious to others around you.

I’ve started just ramming my cart into other people’s and they still don’t get what’s going on..
Old 10-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #13389
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 13 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0n View Post
RE: Developers

You guys also need to understand the role as a developer.
The role as a developer is to develop the project through planning, design and somewhat of the built.

In terms of the build, all developers use contractors, subcontracts and these guys don't gave a shit. They also want to build it the fastest and at the cheapest price.

- Those cabinets look like they are from Italy and they are probably built there. So when they get shiipped and installed here at the buildng you could be totally off and even if you are off by 1/8" your cabinet doors can jamb or not sit flush

Q: Why is the build of my home so shitty?
A. You need to understand the construction process, each step/stage is it's own trade and pretty much your home is built piece meal

From start to finish there are probably a min 20 trades that built your home. Each trade would take it to a certain step and pass it on to the next. If the guy before you fucks up, and it's your stage you'll just do whatever you need to do to finish your work and call it a day. Large developers are not gonna put 1 guy to sit there and quality control your unit when lets say there are 200 units in a building.
obviously there are issues with this practice and the lack of accountability and shifting blame is rather jarring...if I try to pull this shit in my industry 'well I mean it was already shitty job in the first place, so i'm still gonna do the work fully knowing it's gonna be craptastic anyways instead of raising the problems' and I would be out of a job by the end of the day

think about it...car companies can roll out hundreds of vehicles daily, sourcing parts from all over the world. Yet they need to work within a tight tolerance. So if ppl give Tesla flack for awful gaps then surely it's warranted here

there needs to be a QC team that oversees the contracted work, maybe not feasible at every stage but after every couple of stages into the build

there also needs to be a regulation where if you constantly being reported for shitty work, your future build permits will not be issued until you put in some attention into addressing concerns with completed projects

if people are paying 200k for an apartment, fine whatever you can try to argue 'get what you pay for' but that's not the case anymore...most are stretched thin and paying through the nose and still having to deal with years and years of delay, the end user deserves better and the developer knows this but would rather you go through many hoops before attempting an ongoing 'resolution'

Last edited by R1CED`; 10-15-2018 at 12:48 PM.
R1CED` is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #13390
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I don’t care about that at Costco. What I care about is the complet fucking ignorance of morons there.

You park your cart on an angle in the middle of an aisle and then stand on either side of the cart blocking an entire 12 foot fucking aisle from all traffic, oblivious to others around you.

I’ve started just ramming my cart into other people’s and they still don’t get what’s going on..

Repeat after me . . . diu-lei-lo-mo or chao-ni-ma. Then once you've got their attention, swear at them in English. They'll get the message one way or another.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #13391

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
ITALIAN DESIGNED CHINESE MADE

ITALIAN GOOD ENOUGH + CHINESE GOOD ENOUGH = NOT SO GOOD

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #13392
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Just stop the Asian from buying everything in bulk and you solve your issue. When you have people buying out a feel cart of makeup (I mean like every single bottle) you have an issue coz no else can buy them. Same with diapers, baby formula, chocolate. Just put a limit on it. It sucks whenever I shop at Costco and see a person literally taking everything for that one item.
It's called Costco Wholesale for a reason. Why would a business want to limit the amount of money a customer gives them?
Old 10-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #13393

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
It's called Costco Wholesale for a reason. Why would a business want to limit the amount of money a customer gives them?
because they are turned into costco distributors

gotta buy 10k worth of elizabeth arden capsules

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #13394
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Oh I don't know coz maybe coz one else can buy. Literally these people would camp right in the morning and if they need to buy something say a specific type of chocolate. They would go in and buy literally every single one of them. No one else gets a chance to buy them till a new shipment comes in (which could be a day or when Costco stock them) that's if these people don't buy out the entire stock again next shipment comes in.

How would you feel if you have a new born and everywhere you go all the baby formula is sold out literally everyday unless you drive 45mins away and get some. And you know is not everyday folks who buys them. People buy them out so they can ship it oversea to make a profit and the store just allows them do this.

That's what happen to HK a few years back and literally lot's of place are out of baby formula or what ever these Chinese decided to buy and ship it to China. Things got so bad the gov have to put a limit on how much each person can carry in a day.

If you don't stop them now things will just get worse and worse and when you try to put a stop to it then is too late.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #13395
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Sounds like build quality in Vancouver is producing another crisis ... like the leaky condo of the 80's.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:55 PM   #13396

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Sounds like build quality in Vancouver is producing another crisis ... like the leaky condo of the 80's.
I think most apartments are ok. Is the townhome and the woodframe low raise that might have some issue. However I did heard the new development from China (The one building Polairs on Nelson) one of my friend who is working on this project said stay the fuck away from it lol.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #13397

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Apples and oranges
Old 10-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #13398
RS controls my life!

Failed 22 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post

Sorry been swamped - One Central sale apparently starts around Oct 20-22 for VIP round. Submit your forms - our team and group has put in 150+. Aiming for 10% success rate.

One Central Surrey

Floorplate and hand out uploaded. TBA on assignment fee.
My suggestion is to get few forms in - Magnum the marketing group is definitely about who you know and who you submit forms with.

Submitting with realtors they don't know = no chance in hell for units. My feedback.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:28 PM   #13399
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Apples and oranges
Yes but they are both fruits. Let's revisit this thread in about 5-10 years.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #13400

The quality of finishing materials doesn’t equate to building California type homes in a damp rain forest.

Building envelope is a science, a bad tile guy is an oversight.