REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #13726
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 45 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw0op View Post
Not really..they were asking 1000/sq ft for the penthouse...you can get a brand new house for the same price they were asking located 10-15mins up in Burke mountain
Are you talking about square footage wise? Because yes, both can cost about the same at $1000/sqft but I’m sure the house would be larger. An extra 500 sqft would cost you half a million dollars
Advertisement
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:15 PM   #13727
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I hope my son stays at home for a long time, I wouldn't mind him going away for University just to have that experience but he'll be welcome back I like having him around.

If I made him pay rent it would only be to help him save, I'd put it away for him.
Good guy dad.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2019, 06:48 AM   #13728
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post
Are you talking about square footage wise? Because yes, both can cost about the same at $1000/sqft but I’m sure the house would be larger. An extra 500 sqft would cost you half a million dollars
This. Additionally 10-15 mins? Depending on what direction they're going that's an extra 20-30 mins each way on top of whatever their commute was already.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:40 AM   #13729
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
This. Additionally 10-15 mins? Depending on what direction they're going that's an extra 20-30 mins each way on top of whatever their commute was already.
To be honest I still don't know who to blame for this, the city, translink or developer. You see tons and tons of apartments being built around major skytrain stations yet the roads, frequency of skytrains haven't change at all. The Canada line is already running over maximum capacity (during rush hour unless you get on at Richmond center you are going to have to wait a couple of trains before you can get on). Same thing is going to happen with the ever green line and the millennium line. And traffic (at least from what other people said) is a gong show leaving from Coq, Port Coq, Langely to Van. Yet with more apartments going up I don't see any improvement plan to our roads or transit systems. The new March 3 skytrains is to replace the one crappy Mark 1 we have so is not really increasing the frequency at all.

On a side note even though the Expo line is built during Expo is not as congested as the other skytrain lines overall (expect for broadway station). i guess the people who built the expo line back then actually plan for expandation and population growth.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #13730
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I don’t see the evergreen line being crazy congested just due to their being not the same concentration of multi family buildings along the line. At least for the time being

Lougheed station is going to be a shit show though
Old 01-07-2019, 08:43 AM   #13731
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

^^ I actually take the Skytrain from Lincon station (got an earlier shift so I am work at 8:30am so I leave around 7:30) And by the time the Skytrain gets to Coq station is pretty much 85% full already.

Part of the reason I think is at Coq center and Port Moody there is the West Coast express and also Park and Ride.

EDIT Coq center is also being redevelope starting Spring 2019. I think is a 10 to 15 year plan? Afterwards it will have more high raise than Lougheed mall or Brentwood mall.

Last edited by Mr.HappySilp; 01-07-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #13732
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
To be honest I still don't know who to blame for this, the city, translink or developer. You see tons and tons of apartments being built around major skytrain stations yet the roads, frequency of skytrains haven't change at all. The Canada line is already running over maximum capacity (during rush hour unless you get on at Richmond center you are going to have to wait a couple of trains before you can get on). Same thing is going to happen with the ever green line and the millennium line. And traffic (at least from what other people said) is a gong show leaving from Coq, Port Coq, Langely to Van. Yet with more apartments going up I don't see any improvement plan to our roads or transit systems. The new March 3 skytrains is to replace the one crappy Mark 1 we have so is not really increasing the frequency at all.

On a side note even though the Expo line is built during Expo is not as congested as the other skytrain lines overall (expect for broadway station). i guess the people who built the expo line back then actually plan for expandation and population growth.
Totally! A lot of friends who have been looking and or are looking often brings up Brentwood and while this area has some things going for it these friends are all drivers not transit users and I've been saying no fucking way. You see Lougheed now? Well guess what there are a ton of massive towers coming and the road will stay the same it isn't like Lougheed/Broadway will magically become 4 lanes each way.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:21 PM   #13733
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Failed 103 Times in 39 Posts
i made the terrible fucking mistake of turning east on boundary and lougheed during evening rush hour and was stuck in that fucking mess for 30-45 minutes before i even made it to willingdon.
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2019, 08:52 PM   #13734
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
quick question about rental contract
what happens if the property is sold? it becomes nil under new ownership/landlord?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #13735
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,363 Times in 1,793 Posts
Failed 114 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
quick question about rental contract
what happens if the property is sold? it becomes nil under new ownership/landlord?
Still valid.

if you want to live there, make sure the seller gets the renter out before you take possession/close on the deal.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #13736

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Still valid.

if you want to live there, make sure the seller gets the renter out before you take possession/close on the deal.
Yup make it in the contract. Usually is two calendar months time. Leave this mess to the seller and not you.

Went to some listing with tenants and man if the tenants want to make place as undesirable as possible they can easily. I think is better to kick your tenant out before you decide to sell your place. Some tenants are so anal about letting potential buyers take a look a place they set the worse schedule. Once I want to see this place but the tenants only allow viewing on every Wed between 7:30pm to 9:30pm. And they are there the whole time. Kinda of feel bad for the seller coz clearly the tenants is making is hard for anyone interested to view the place. Some tenants is also very messy or just straight out don't bother cleaning up the place. And people wonder why some landlord rather leave their place sitting empty or is very picky when choosing a tenant.

Last edited by Mr.HappySilp; 01-07-2019 at 10:40 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2019, 06:18 AM   #13737
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 206 Times in 75 Posts
Tenants have too many rights. I'm dealing with a tenant that's purposely flooding my parents apartments and need a detailed binder case full of complaints before I can even go before the residential tenancy board.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #13738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
Tenants have too many rights. I'm dealing with a tenant that's purposely flooding my parents apartments and need a detailed binder case full of complaints before I can even go before the residential tenancy board.
And the new tenancy act makes it even harder to kick out your tenants. Basically once the contract is up (usually most tenants and landlord sign a one year lease) it becomes month to month as long as the tenants wants to live there. The only way to kick them out is to either use the place as your own, have relatives live in it or major reno. Even then the tenant have the right to object this and bring this case to the tenancy board. I think you also have to give them an extra month of notice and an extra month of free(not 100% about it).

I mean if the gov wants more people to rent out their units they should make it easier, less regulation for tenant, more protection for landlord and let the market determine the rent. Just last year tenants and some tenant protection agency complain about the rent increase was set too high from the gov, the gov back down and decrease the rent increase to 2%. LOL 2% doesn't even the cost of increase in strata fees, then there is the increase property tax, utilities fees, maintenance etc etc.......
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #13739
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,194 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
We make this comment every day. We live right behind Brentwood Mall, so we've watched the construction from the get go here.

Their idea of infrastructure is adding a new traffic light to every conceivable block, That is literally their idea of "adding infrastructure". If you ever drive Lougheed, you will see the lights aren't even coordinated, making your commute an insanely long time for a very small subsection of road.

It's absolutely bizarre and infuriating.

Quote:

mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #13740
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Yup make it in the contract. Usually is two calendar months time. Leave this mess to the seller and not you.
Actually per RTA it's illegal to make ending a tenancy a condition of sale of the property.

Quote:
"Landlord's Use of Property

There are two ways a tenancy can be ended if, in good faith, the buyer plans to occupy the unit or use the property for another purpose:

1. The buyer submits a written request to the seller to end the tenancy before taking possession of the property (service of notice cannot be a condition of sale). Then the seller (or existing landlord) gives the tenant a Two Month Notice to End Tenancy for Landlord’s Use of Property
2. Once the buyer takes possession of the property, they can serve a Two Month Notice to End Tenancy for Landlord’s Use of Property
Unless a landlord (seller or buyer) serves a proper notice to end tenancy, the tenancy continues under the terms of the original tenancy agreement.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...anted-property

My next door neighbors had scenario #1. Previous owners had tenants downstairs, new owners asked previous owners to issue notice for owner's use of property, new owners had to allow existing tenants to live there for the two months after they took possession.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #13741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Actually per RTA it's illegal to make ending a tenancy a condition of sale of the property.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...anted-property

My next door neighbors had scenario #1. Previous owners had tenants downstairs, new owners asked previous owners to issue notice for owner's use of property, new owners had to allow existing tenants to live there for the two months after they took possession.
But here is the issue with the new tenancy act once contract ends it automatically goes to a month a month base and unless the tenant wants to leave he can live there as long as he likes unless the owner wants to live there, or have family live there or major reno.

The tenant also the sign the lease with the old landlord not with the new landlord so why should the new landlord be responsible for the tenant.

For one of the units that I put in an offer I specifically said the the current tenant needs to gtfo when I move in. But I did set the completion date a few months ahead to give the buyer time to kick the tenant out. No way in hell I am getting involve with kicking out tenants.

What if I take possession and the tenant decides to be an asshole and not move? Why should I deal with this mess?
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #13742

You can amend the agreement when it goes to month to month. The tenants just have to sign off on it. At that time you can add addendums etc to the existing contract and have the tenants initial the changes and you’re set.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #13743

Quote:

What if I take possession and the tenant decides to be an asshole and not move? Why should I deal with this mess?
You're buying a tenanted property, that's the risks. I don't like it either, but I'm being objective and the law is the law.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 01-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #13744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
You can amend the agreement when it goes to month to month. The tenants just have to sign off on it. At that time you can add addendums etc to the existing contract and have the tenants initial the changes and you’re set.
Yeah, that's a bit of an uphill battle because no tenant is going to agree to anything that simply places additional limits and/or fees. You better also have something in the amendments that sweetens the pot for them.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 01-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #13745
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Failed 54 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
You're buying a tenanted property, that's the risks. I don't like it either, but I'm being objective and the law is the law.
I think you're reinforcing his statement that the buyer should let the seller give the tenant the boot prior to the purchase. The seller can create whatever lie he wants (inlaws moving in, huge reno). Just don't make it your own problem.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #13746
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 15 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post

Nope, price wise.

Actually I just google mapped it and you don’t even need to drive 10mins to get a brand new house for the same price this lent house unit was asking
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #13747
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 45 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw0op View Post
Nope, price wise.

Actually I just google mapped it and you don’t even need to drive 10mins to get a brand new house for the same price this lent house unit was asking
What’s the price / size of the penthouse you saw? I don’t know the area that well but a quick mls search for new homes in that area still fetch $1.5 minimum
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #13748

Quote:
Yeah, that's a bit of an uphill battle because no tenant is going to agree to anything that simply places additional limits and/or fees. You better also have something in the amendments that sweetens the pot for them.
In my case my tenants didnt want to sign another year lease due to potentially opportunities back in the states, all i did was add an addendum after the legalization of MJ that no growing of plants would occur in their suite.

Nothing too crazy but little stuff like that can go a long way in the wrong circumstances lol
Old 01-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #13749
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
We make this comment every day. We live right behind Brentwood Mall, so we've watched the construction from the get go here.

Their idea of infrastructure is adding a new traffic light to every conceivable block, That is literally their idea of "adding infrastructure". If you ever drive Lougheed, you will see the lights aren't even coordinated, making your commute an insanely long time for a very small subsection of road.

It's absolutely bizarre and infuriating.
I take Marine Drive every day and it is brutal as well. City built 3 more intersections on Marine drive just between SE Marine turn off and Boundary because of that new development along the river. Lights between Elliot and Boundary are not coordinated at all and is pretty frustrating.

Also that new intersection at Yukon and Marine drive. Holy shit, that one is so stupid as it is not synced with the one at Cambie which results in massive backups all the time. I filed a ticket with Vancouver about that one and the response was that it was timed for buses which is BS because buses will get stuck in the traffic as well!

I was bored one day at work so I counted all the intersections along Marine drive from Arthur Laing to Boundary and it was something like 30 lights in 10 km.

So much for being a major arterial road. I'm sure someone in Vancouver engineering is thinking of removing one lane to create bike lanes.
stump is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #13750

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump View Post
I take Marine Drive every day and it is brutal as well. City built 3 more intersections on Marine drive just between SE Marine turn off and Boundary because of that new development along the river. Lights between Elliot and Boundary are not coordinated at all and is pretty frustrating.

Also that new intersection at Yukon and Marine drive. Holy shit, that one is so stupid as it is not synced with the one at Cambie which results in massive backups all the time. I filed a ticket with Vancouver about that one and the response was that it was timed for buses which is BS because buses will get stuck in the traffic as well!

I was bored one day at work so I counted all the intersections along Marine drive from Arthur Laing to Boundary and it was something like 30 lights in 10 km.

So much for being a major arterial road. I'm sure someone in Vancouver engineering is thinking of removing one lane to create bike lanes.
Nope they need to lanes. One bike lane on each side.
This post thanked by: