REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #13851
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,511 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
What are your thoughts on living at home @mr.happyslip. When do you think someone should move out. What if there's only one parent at home.
Advertisement

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #13852
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
What are your thoughts on living at home @mr.happyslip. When do you think someone should move out. What if there's only one parent at home.
As long as you are saving your money and not wasting it I don't see why is an issue living at home. Beside as an Asian myself we tend to live at home till we are marry anyways (same with the culture as philippine and India in fact even after marry some of them live together as a large family.) So nothing wrong at all living at home. Doesn't matter if is one parent or two it all depends on you.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #13853

If I am saving tons every month, should I never leave and just snowball it till you hit a FIRE number at like 40.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 01-25-2019, 08:14 PM   #13854
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
That's definitely a personal decision. Myself I wouldn't want to spend half my life living with my parents, but every situation is different. At 40 years old I would hope I'm doing it to take care of my parents more so than still trying to save for a down payment on a place.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:55 PM   #13855
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
If I am saving tons every month, should I never leave and just snowball it till you hit a FIRE number at like 40.
If you want sure! Why not live with your parents till they die so you don't need to buy your own place
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #13856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
If you want sure! Why not live with your parents till they die so you don't need to buy your own place
That's actually what I am seeing the mindset of some people recently. I've talked to people who have no ambition in life cause they are super comfortable with a $25 - 35k job, since they have 0 living expenses. They can just lease a $1,000 car and spend everything else on entertainment. The reason they can do that is they'll just wait for the inheritance on the house since they'll likely get $800K - 1.6MM for the house. I rather not rely on that. Nor do I want/need it.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2019, 09:32 PM   #13857
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,914 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Pretty sad to have no ambition to carve your own path.
Theres nothing wrong with taking help from your parents, but being a leech off of them so they cant enjoy what they have worked hard for is pathetic. Of course there are varying degrees of necessity to parental help depending on the cards you were dealt, but to just sit back and say fuck it. Just gross. I hope my grandparents and my mom leave me nothing and enjoy whats left of their life travelling and reaping what they worked so hard for while they took care of me.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2019, 10:50 PM   #13858
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Pretty sad to have no ambition to carve your own path.
Theres nothing wrong with taking help from your parents, but being a leech off of them so they cant enjoy what they have worked hard for is pathetic. Of course there are varying degrees of necessity to parental help depending on the cards you were dealt, but to just sit back and say fuck it. Just gross. I hope my grandparents and my mom leave me nothing and enjoy whats left of their life travelling and reaping what they worked so hard for while they took care of me.
I'll never understand how people can live with themselves, knowing that they're taking money and life experiences from the people that brought them into this world. Yeah, I'd want a cosy and easy life as well, but I sure as fuck won't be leeching off my parents with the hopes they die so I can get that windfall.

It's actually very depressing and upsetting when you think about it.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #13859
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
aint that the sad truth
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #13860
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
This has to be one of the darkest things I've read on this forum...

A friend of mine who lives in his parents home with his wife and 2 kids (EI family) came home from work one day while everyone was out. As he entered the family room, he found his father slumped over on the couch, dead. He had a heart attack and no one was around to render medical aid.

Do you honestly think the first thing on his mind was 'yes, half my parents are dead. The house is almost mine! ' ???

He had to overcome his fear of living there because of what happened.

Though, any person who prizes a house's value over their parents' lives may have had shitty parents to begin with.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #13861

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
I'll never understand how people can live with themselves, knowing that they're taking money and life experiences from the people that brought them into this world. Yeah, I'd want a cosy and easy life as well, but I sure as fuck won't be leeching off my parents with the hopes they die so I can get that windfall.

It's actually very depressing and upsetting when you think about it.
Isn't this the result of our own greed?

We've had the longest run of property value increase in history (except the little shock in 2008, our price went up since 2001 or so). Through the years, the vast majority of residents never complained. Why would they? Their 200k home in the 80s suddenly is worth millions of dollars. An amount so big that some of the families can't make it by working in their lifetime.

We blame the Chinese, the drug gang... etc. But wtf did we do to stop the increase? How many elections took place during these 18yrs? Only the last election we decided to take a different route and elected the NDP to power. And really by the slightest margin (1seat).

Now we have this shithole where bright young people are leaving YVR left and right while the remaining young people only want basic jobs and never in their life dare to imagine something bigger.

But how can we blame them? We priced our RE into the stratosphere. For a COUPLE to own a detached home, anything less than 250k in annual income would put their life very difficult unless they get significant support from family. And what industry do we have to produce 250k in combined income? Oh sorry, I forgot. BC's largest industry by far is the freaking RE.

A traditional good mid class income of 100k gets you fucking NOTHING nowadays. Even a shoebox condo is difficult at 100k income. How do we expect young people to dream, to work hard and to take risk and do what their hearts tell them when there IS NO CHANCE. They will be homeless if they stick by that rule.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #13862
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 41 Times in 24 Posts
Fuck Krusty Clark, she reaps the benefits of being in the back pocket of developers all these years. Someone needs to investigate her dealings, I bet you'd find something...
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #13863
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Hopefully townhomes drop below $500k again.
ftfy
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #13864
I don't get it

Failed 7 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
A traditional good mid class income of 100k gets you fucking NOTHING nowadays. Even a shoebox condo is difficult at 100k income. How do we expect young people to dream, to work hard and to take risk and do what their hearts tell them when there IS NO CHANCE. They will be homeless if they stick by that rule.
According to Happyslip, a couple can purchase a house with minimum wage, no problem! Just work harder, duh.
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:21 PM   #13865
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Failed 296 Times in 68 Posts
Speaking of leeches, I wonder how these rich kids feel taking their parents money. For example, buying your girlfriend something expensive, eating out at fancy restaurants or driving luxury cars with money you didn’t earn. Shouldn’t that hurt your ego a bit?
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:46 PM   #13866
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
Speaking of leeches, I wonder how these rich kids feel taking their parents money. For example, buying your girlfriend something expensive, eating out at fancy restaurants or driving luxury cars with money you didn’t earn. Shouldn’t that hurt your ego a bit?
Some people grow up with this entitlement mentality, and I'd say that in at least a good percentage of the case, the parents are at least partly to blame because they just keep on providing whatever their children wants / asks, and never instilled the proper mentality in their kids.

In a previous line of work when I was still a young and naive kid, I've also witnessed this entitlement mentality, and it was both eye-opening and bewildering. Except that in that case, it wasn't the parents who were providing -- it was a government agency.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #13867

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
I've seen entitlement from my cousin where he would only go to school if his parents bought him a $150,000 car. I'm like dude, they are already paying for your school. I've also seen entitlement from peers where they expect their parents to get them the newest iPhone for like $1,500 cause they haven't bought them something expensive in awhile. This person is 23 and she works.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 01-29-2019, 12:35 PM   #13868
I am Hook'd on RS

Failed 10 Times in 2 Posts
Would it be a better idea to build a laneway house at my parents residents or buy a 1 bedroom apartment during this time? I would probably save a considerable amount from not paying strata fees and maintenance fees right? If I purchase a condo I would probably hold it for 8-10 years. But if I build a laneway how will I ever recover my money unless we sell our principal location? I would also get a first time home buyer for the condo right? I'm leaning more towards the laneway. I would probably live in the condo myself for the first year, also if I build the laneway I could rent straight away correct? I don't mind living with my parents for the time being. What would be your opinion?

Last edited by milkStar; 01-29-2019 at 12:44 PM.
milkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #13869

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkStar View Post
Would it be a better idea to build a laneway house at my parents residents or buy a 1 bedroom apartment during this time?
Personally, I'd opt for a laneway house in this case, but I am not really thinking this through with any sort of financial investment incentives in mind.

My thought process is -- if building a laneway house at your parents' place is a potentially viable option, chances are, you're on pretty good terms with your parents. As everyone gets old and progress in life, your parents are going to get old too, and you'll likely have a family of your own. When that time comes, a totally viable option becomes swapping residences with your parents (and "buying out" their share of the house. They'd have a smaller place to live and take care of. You'll be living close to each other while having your own separate places. You can continue to enjoy each other's practical support. If that is an arrangement you can live with, it sounds like a win-win to me.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #13870
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
What’s the state of the main house? When was it built?

Either way I’d probably opt for the laneway just due to everything you mentioned plus the privacy of having a detached residence. You should be able to build one all said and done for far cheaper than even more 1br probably
Old 01-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #13871
I subscribe to Revscene

Failed 42 Times in 9 Posts
For the sake of investment, I would choose laneway for land value and flexibility. You aren't bogged down by strata rules should you choose to rent it. Also, you can do whatever you want with it... It's your land! The only question is if you discussed future options with your parents. After all there is only 1 ownership title on that land and asset distribution with family can get dicey.
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:18 PM   #13872
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
And the thing with the laneway house - no strata, and you can deal with issues far easier if it does happen.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:34 PM   #13873

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA9ve View Post
For the sake of investment, I would choose laneway for land value and flexibility. You aren't bogged down by strata rules should you choose to rent it. Also, you can do whatever you want with it... It's your land! The only question is if you discussed future options with your parents. After all there is only 1 ownership title on that land and asset distribution with family can get dicey.
I've heard from a friend that land ownership can be very messed up even when you're looking at detached housing. She was looking at a duplex unit on Main or Fraser, and there is a laneway house on the plot of land where the duplex is as well. So 3 suites, basically, and each unit has their own respective owners. I don't even know how that is possible.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:42 PM   #13874
RS controls my life!

Failed 22 Times in 9 Posts
Westbank has a baller event at Oakridge tonight.7pm - 11pm to launch their OAKRIDGE luxury tower and celebrate Chinese New Years event.

Door prize:
HUBLOT watch
Air Can business class flight
Shopping spree

Lion Dance
Food
Catering / Auction
Concert / Ballet

Should be a great party, but watch out it'll be a gong show as last year's Fairmont event was line ups for hours.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:50 PM   #13875
RS controls my life!

Failed 22 Times in 9 Posts