REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #14776
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

linkedin, etc. makes it dead easy to verify a number

i dont even bother calling, but i want to make sure there's verifiable references that have known the applicants for a long time
I run a few properties and surprisingly there are a lot of people not on LinkedIn; 2 more common: public workers & blue collar workers.

Nurses, city employees and a lot of construction workers are a few with zero linkedin. My team has to call into their work to verify their employment.

Currently van is a hot market; tenants will bend over backwards and jump thru hoops. Back in 2005-2008 when RTB wasn't easily accessible via internet, a lot of rent / agreements were just written down on a piece of paper.
Advertisement
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:33 PM   #14777
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
you call it bend over backwards/jumping through hoops
i think most would call it due diligence

i've been lucky that all my tenants have been homeowners themselves
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:33 PM   #14778
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can see why some landlords would require bank statements etc.... with how expensive housing are out here, they are just protecting themselves..it’s nothing against you
Acurapinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #14779
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,914 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
I can’t believe that people think it’s unreasonable for a landlord to verify income.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2019, 09:19 PM   #14780
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
I run a few properties and surprisingly there are a lot of people not on LinkedIn; 2 more common: public workers & blue collar workers.

Nurses, city employees and a lot of construction workers are a few with zero linkedin. My team has to call into their work to verify their employment.

Currently van is a hot market; tenants will bend over backwards and jump thru hoops. Back in 2005-2008 when RTB wasn't easily accessible via internet, a lot of rent / agreements were just written down on a piece of paper.
Re City Workers that depends. If the person works in an office there's a decent chance they are on there but if they work OPS like Water, Street, Sewer like the guys in the trucks on the road those guys won't even have any social media accounts period let alone linkedin.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #14781
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 41 Times in 24 Posts
Bank statements to ensure you have enough money in case you get laid off and have enough rent to pay me for at least 3 months before you find something new.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:19 PM   #14782
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 87 Times in 37 Posts
You guys might think landlords asking for bank statements might be much--try evicting someone who's late on rent. Then try talking to the bank that you're late on your mortgage because your tenant was late on paying.

For every tenant not willing to show financial statements, there are probably 3 or 4 that are willing. Guess who makes the cut to the next round?
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2019, 06:56 AM   #14783
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,828 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
What if it was Bill Gates?
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #14784

Thanked 5,418 Times in 863 Posts
Failed 36 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
WOAH WOAH.. I'm a land lord and I ain't that anal.

3 most recent pay stubs & Scanned passport or provincial ID are all a bit too personal, also the 60 day bank statement is bullshit.

Pay stub is none of your business as to how much I make so I'm sorry I won't be providing you that.
I ain't giving you passport but I'm happy to give you my BCDL. If I do get into stage 2 of the rental, then you can take a picture.

I'm happy to tell you where I work, and you can verify my work date / HR / manager even if you have to but I ain't telling you how much I make.

As to nah, another way to kick someone out is for you to move into the unit (as a landlord)
Lmao.

So it's not ok for the owner of the house whom you'll potentially rent and live in to see your paystub but in the other thread you parrot how HK protesters should expect to be violated if they're arrested.

Old 08-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #14785
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 41 Times in 19 Posts
When renting in Toronto, its standard practice to provide credit check, a statement from your bank confirming you are in good standing/bank statements, reference letters. The other notable difference is the fact that you pay first and last month's rent up front.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #14786

Failed 263 Times in 78 Posts
Question regarding mortgage approvals. Would there be any difference in the mortgage approval amount with any of the big banks?

For example if TD is giving me 600k would RBC be any different?
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:40 PM   #14787
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Maybe a little bit, some lenders are more conservative. Some can bs rental income in depending on what you are buying
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2019, 08:40 AM   #14788
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,363 Times in 1,793 Posts
Failed 114 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Question regarding mortgage approvals. Would there be any difference in the mortgage approval amount with any of the big banks?

For example if TD is giving me 600k would RBC be any different?
Yes, every bank seems to have a different formula for how much they are willing to lend.

When I first purchased my place, I had Scotia willing to do 900k whereas RBC was willing to do 750k.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2019, 12:41 AM   #14789
nah

Failed 41 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
You guys might think landlords asking for bank statements might be much--try evicting someone who's late on rent. Then try talking to the bank that you're late on your mortgage because your tenant was late on paying.

For every tenant not willing to show financial statements, there are probably 3 or 4 that are willing. Guess who makes the cut to the next round?
This happened to my wife's coworker, she had to use her LOC cause the renters of a house didn't pay for 3 months before she could hire a bailiff.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #14790
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post
This happened to my wife's coworker, she had to use her LOC cause the renters of a house didn't pay for 3 months before she could hire a bailiff.
So what are the options in regards to recovering that money?
Is small claims the only way?
Is there any sort of insurance for that?

This can be quite a sum of money if someone drags an eviction out through the courts and doesn't end up paying for like a year or more.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #14791
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Did you guys see this guy get his unit destroyed by an angry tenant?

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...ent_out_their/
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #14792
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 3,989 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post

https://globalnews.ca/news/5843645/v...ter-video/amp/
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #14793
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Tenants like that need to be charged.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #14794
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
From the video, I can't help but think that the poor landlord is of Chinese or Taiwanese descent, and is likely a first generation immigrant.

I kept asking myself -- if I were in his shoes, would I do the same as he did to simply move on, or would have have press charges, or at least otherwise file for small claims?

At the end of the day, I couldn't come to a conclusion. On one hand, I totally think the a$$hole tenant needs to be held accountable. On the other hand, that lady tenant had to be absolutely batshxt crazy, and she knows where the landlord lives, and where the rental building is. Would I be fearful enough of the retaliation if I went on to sue her a$$?

I am just glad that I am done with the landlord bs now.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:30 AM   #14795
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Tenants like that need to be charged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
From the video, I can't help but think that the poor landlord is of Chinese or Taiwanese descent, and is likely a first generation immigrant.

I kept asking myself -- if I were in his shoes, would I do the same as he did to simply move on, or would have have press charges, or at least otherwise file for small claims?

At the end of the day, I couldn't come to a conclusion. On one hand, I totally think the a$$hole tenant needs to be held accountable. On the other hand, that lady tenant had to be absolutely batshxt crazy, and she knows where the landlord lives, and where the rental building is. Would I be fearful enough of the retaliation if I went on to sue her a$$?

I am just glad that I am done with the landlord bs now.
The issue is how hard it is to sue tenants like that. You have to go through small claim courts and that will take a while. Not to mention your tenant might not even show up/don't have a shit about. Let's say you win even then it doesn't mean you will get your money back. The tenant simply can chose not to pay and then you have to go through the court again to force him to pay (IE the gov will withhold his tax refund/take a part of his wage and give it to you) and that process can still take a long long time. So in the end is it worth all that time and energy? That's why landlord ask for so many personal info to make sure you aren't that asshole tenant who won't pay and who will destroy your unit.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #14796

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
Ridiculous, this right here is why even though I have a full two bedroom suite in my basement not being used I'd never rent it out, not to strangers, not friends and not to family.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:36 AM   #14797
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Ridiculous, this right here is why even though I have a full two bedroom suite in my basement not being used I'd never rent it out, not to strangers, not friends and not to family.
So the question begs to be asked.
Say you owned a house but had to live elsewhere for whatever reason and with BC's empty home tax, you are forced to rent it out and get a tenant like this, can you sue the BC gov?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:48 AM   #14798

Thanked 31,914 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Paying a tax for something isn't being forced to do something.
You choose to pay, or choose to rent it out.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2019, 08:54 AM   #14799
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Failed 59 Times in 30 Posts
If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't try to get my money back either. I am however a vengeful bastard... lol... I'd press criminal charges for mischief and vandalism. If convicted, there's possible jail time and with a criminal record, good luck travelling around the world. A lot of countries would deny entry. Have fun explaining the conviction when applying for work.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #14800
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't try to get my money back either. I am however a vengeful bastard... lol... I'd press criminal charges for mischief and vandalism. If convicted, there's possible jail time and with a criminal record, good luck travelling around the world. A lot of countries would deny entry. Have fun explaining the conviction when applying for work.
Police won't care because they expect the Tenancy board to handle it since it is a dispute between a LL and their tenant.

Plus something doesn't add up. why are they going to the news to say they won't do anything. And we are only hearing their side of hte story. There might be more to the story than they let on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Paying a tax for something isn't being forced to do something.
You choose to pay, or choose to rent it out.
So if you can't afford to pay the tax, then are you not forced to rent out?
the only other option is forced to sell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote