REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:10 AM   #14801
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
So the question begs to be asked.
Say you owned a house but had to live elsewhere for whatever reason and with BC's empty home tax, you are forced to rent it out and get a tenant like this, can you sue the BC gov?
Probably pay the tax but I dont think I'd put myself in that position. I bought a house I can afford without the rental income, wasnt an accident.
Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #14802

Thanked 31,914 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:

So if you can't afford to pay the tax, then are you not forced to rent out?
the only other option is forced to sell?
If you can't afford to pay for premium fuel for your car because gas taxes are too high, you put some 87 in your car, does the government need to pay for any damage to the motor?
If you can't afford your property taxes, and are forced to sell your home, does the government owe you new one?
You pay the tax, rent the home, sell, make more money. Those are your options, you choose the outcome.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #14803
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Police won't care because they expect the Tenancy board to handle it since it is a dispute between a LL and their tenant.

Plus something doesn't add up. why are they going to the news to say they won't do anything. And we are only hearing their side of hte story. There might be more to the story than they let on.

So if you can't afford to pay the tax, then are you not forced to rent out?
the only other option is forced to sell?
I don't think he went to the news. He posted the video online and the news contacted him.

I also don't think there is much more to the story I have seen this before multiple times.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #14804

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
I'd press criminal charges for mischief and vandalism. If convicted, there's possible jail time and with a criminal record, good luck travelling around the world. A lot of countries would deny entry. Have fun explaining the conviction when applying for work.
Because the tenant had legal right to the property at the time, this wouldn't be considered a criminal matter. Unfortunately the only course of action is suing for damages through civil court.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:11 AM   #14805
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
If you can't afford to pay for premium fuel for your car because gas taxes are too high, you put some 87 in your car, does the government need to pay for any damage to the motor?
If you can't afford your property taxes, and are forced to sell your home, does the government owe you new one?
You pay the tax, rent the home, sell, make more money. Those are your options, you choose the outcome.
I think your analogy is wrong.
If you own a car and can't afford 91 or opt for the cheapest brake pads, that is like owning a place and not being able to afford the upkeep and doing the bare minimum to keep it from collapsing on you.

Owning and not living in the place would be similar to owning a car and leaving it parked in a garage or on your front lawn.

All good though, carry on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #14806
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
Great site to find recent sales, make sure you register to see the recent sale info.

https://www.zealty.ca/map.html
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2019, 01:18 PM   #14807
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Say you owned a house but had to live elsewhere for whatever reason and with BC's empty home tax, you are forced to rent it out and get a tenant like this, can you sue the BC gov?
You own your home, it's your primary residence, it wouldn't be an issue; so if you're away for over 5 months, say death in family / health issues you have to be overseas, you can apply for justification and plea your case. I personally don't know what that could be.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #14808
Old School RS

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,229 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
You are not forced to do anything except pay the vacant home tax. If you can't afford to pay the vacant home tax, you have the option to sell the house, the option to let a relative or friend stay in it for free, or rent it out. You certainly are going to get nowhere trying to sue the government saying they "forced" you to rent it out and then are somehow responsible for the damage done by a tenant that they had no input into vetting...

I don't even understand why even ask the question unless intending to just be inflammatory, there is obviously no scenario where the government is going to compensate you for a bad tenant...

-Mark
Old 09-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #14809
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
You are not forced to do anything except pay the vacant home tax. If you can't afford to pay the vacant home tax, you have the option to sell the house, the option to let a relative or friend stay in it for free, or rent it out. You certainly are going to get nowhere trying to sue the government saying they "forced" you to rent it out and then are somehow responsible for the damage done by a tenant that they had no input into vetting...

I don't even understand why even ask the question unless intending to just be inflammatory, there is obviously no scenario where the government is going to compensate you for a bad tenant...

-Mark
You guys and your "can't afford the empty home tax...." I never said you can't afford it so not sure why you guys keep bringing it up.

Mark, what you said, that's the whole thing. Maybe i am jaded because i hear about all the shitty disputes between tenants and LL's. the RTA puts too many rights for tenants. But that's a whole other can of worms.

Thanks for chiming in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #14810
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
If something comes up that requires an extended stay elsewhere, ask a friend or family member to help babysit your house. Keep the lawn/garden maintained, ask that they spend time there (aka "rent" it to them), have lights/electronics on a timer, ask them to collect mail... basically everything that you would do to ensure that the house looks lived in from a security perspective.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:23 PM   #14811
Old School RS

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,229 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
You guys and your "can't afford the empty home tax...." I never said you can't afford it so not sure why you guys keep bringing it up.

Mark, what you said, that's the whole thing. Maybe i am jaded because i hear about all the shitty disputes between tenants and LL's. the RTA puts too many rights for tenants. But that's a whole other can of worms.

Thanks for chiming in.
I guess I'm just confused. I don't understand why you are saying you'd be "forced" to rent the place out... the only reason I can see that somebody would have to rent it is to come up with the money to pay the tax. Otherwise, nobody is forcing anything... pay the tax and move on?

I don't understand your point of your original post then, why would you sue the government exactly?

-Mark
Old 09-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #14812
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 15 Times in 7 Posts
cuz if you dont rent out you get penalized via the empty home tax.

yes you dont have to rent it out and just pay the penalty but doing such a thing should be a choice not a requirement
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #14813
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
I guess it's kinda saying that you can't own multiple cars and must rent them out on turo if you don't drive it as your primary car or else you must pay a penalty.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:03 PM   #14814

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I guess it's kinda saying that you can't own multiple cars and must rent them out on turo if you don't drive it as your primary car or else you must pay a penalty.
Shut up! Don't give the government any new fucking tax ideas!
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:39 AM   #14815
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
If you can't afford to pay the vacant home tax, you have the option to sell the house, the option to let a relative or friend stay in it for free, or rent it out.
Not trying to be an ass, just trying to clarify.

To avoid the tax, people came up with the idea of "I've rend it out for free to my relative / friend (but in face its vacant)" I shouldn't have to pay tax.

Sneaky realtors tried to tell their buyers this and it back fired.

You let your relative / friend stay there for free; when the audit comes, they will ask who lives there then ask why did they have a primary property already but yet living at your house. Why is the rent free? If your friend lives there, how come the hydro + internet is still under your name (if it is.. OK.. I can accept, but why is the hydro bill showing zero usage).
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:11 AM   #14816
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 3,989 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Not trying to be an ass, just trying to clarify.

To avoid the tax, people came up with the idea of "I've rend it out for free to my relative / friend (but in face its vacant)" I shouldn't have to pay tax.

Sneaky realtors tried to tell their buyers this and it back fired.

You let your relative / friend stay there for free; when the audit comes, they will ask who lives there then ask why did they have a primary property already but yet living at your house. Why is the rent free? If your friend lives there, how come the hydro + internet is still under your name (if it is.. OK.. I can accept, but why is the hydro bill showing zero usage).
What you just described is... Lying about your relative/friend stay there.

bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #14817
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Anyone into vacation rental?

More specifically, in ski resorts like Whistler (less likely as the price is nuts), Sun Peaks or even Big Whites.

I'm looking to buy a unit so I can use when I want to hit up the mountain and rent it out as AirBnB the rest of the time.

Anyone has any experience and can provide a bit of insight?
Old 09-07-2019, 09:19 AM   #14818
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Who's going to do the air bnb clean up work for you. I thought about this before
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #14819

Thanked 31,914 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Whistler is due for some real estate trouble. I’d wait on that. Sun peaks is growing but proximity to an international airport will mean it never becomes the next whistler, no matter who says it will. I’d think it would be a good place to invest and enjoy though.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #14820

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
When we looked into buying a place at Big White 4-5 years ago when the prices had dropped (I don't know where they're at now) because of the high strata fees even if you had it rented out almost full time you'd struggle to break even. The resort is only really busy Dec-Mar but you pay the same fees year round. Then because you want to keep it rented out, you have to plan when you'll use it no differently than renting someone else's place (and you're still paying for it because you're not getting the rental income when you're using it).

In the end we decided against tying up money in something where the resale value is so volatile. When we looked apparently the values had been cut in half vs 5 years prior. Couple that with the steep maintenance fees and it didn't make sense to us, but maybe it's better to someone with more money or more realty experience.

If you do get a place though don't use something super basic for the passcode for the lockbox for the place. A buddy and I accidentally went into the wrong AirBNB once because they both just used the year.

edit: another factor was having zero faith in the current Big White management. They keep throwing money at things that make the hill worse to use and more dangerous, so I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to think something up that tanks property values.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 09-07-2019 at 02:58 PM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #14821

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
If you don't live close by you are better off having a property management company rent it for you. They can handle all the cleaning and stuff.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:48 AM   #14822
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Who's going to do the air bnb clean up work for you. I thought about this before
I figured given the many AirBnB in big resorts, there should be no problem finding a reliable cleaning company to clean it up every time guests check out.

And just going to install a smart key solution like August or something so access can be granted remotely.

I'm just curious about the occupancy rate should one decide to rent it out on a full time basis.

I think if I were to get it, it's to bring the kids on the weekends (leaving Friday afternoon and come back on Sunday). And as long as it's within the distance, I'm ok.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:08 AM   #14823
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 14 Times in 3 Posts
Found a new condo sale I really liked (recently built, some finishing touches still put on the building), was drafting up the contract with my realtor, and during the title search it showed several liens against the property by several contractors (plumbing, flooring, contracting companies), some just from about a month ago.

I was initially going to consult a lawyer about it, but now I'm thinking to just stay the hell far away. Anybody else ever seen that before?
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #14824
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
Found a new condo sale I really liked (recently built, some finishing touches still put on the building), was drafting up the contract with my realtor, and during the title search it showed several liens against the property by several contractors (plumbing, flooring, contracting companies), some just from about a month ago.

I was initially going to consult a lawyer about it, but now I'm thinking to just stay the hell far away. Anybody else ever seen that before?
Just wondering is the seller the first owner or there are several owner before him? Was it purchase pre sale?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #14825
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 14 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Just wondering is the seller the first owner or there are several owner before him? Was it purchase pre sale?
Seller is apparently affiliated with the developer.
She said there is a listing where they tried to sell it as a presale but the deal fell through initially. The suite inside is just being finished up, so little finishing touches so nobody has lived there before.

A lot of the liens are from about a month ago
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote