REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #15101
I subscribe to Revscene

Failed 42 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I’m not disagreeing with most of what you said, but the upgrade part is the worst of it.
Ok so he sells his 400k purchase for 700k and has 300k in the bank. Now he has a 300k down payment to upgrade to a 1m place that would have been 600k when he bought his 400k place effectively costing him 150k more than if he were to have purchased that originally. My numbers are an approximation based on a 50k original down payment but you get the idea. It’s a negative proposition for those upgrading. The big winners are those who are downgrading.
As I said, in most instances those who were first time home buyers that got into the entry level market, the increase in value is a negative other than using it as leverage to invest elsewhere.
As usual, the younger generation that wants to live in a city with job prospects to actually afford this, gets fucked by the increases while the older generation profits. There has to be a breaking point as the generation behind us has no chance.
your example above is really close to what i did myself actually. i'm not disagreeing with you but i'd like to point out reasons why someone would sell an entry level home (purchased 2012) and purchase a larger house (2018). in my case, i needed the space for a family and my priority was to upgrade to a vancouver detach property with standard lot size for flexibility (consistent density policies to maximize value of the land: laneway, duplex, ??) and mortgage helper downstairs. in your exact example, i did actually end up selling for close to those numbers you listed but have cut my current mortgage by 1/3 just by having a mortgage helper downstairs. warranted i am paying more than before but that is relative to the size of home and space i have now so cant compare there. but i agree with you, if i didnt need to upgrade, i would not upgrade to a better/larger property but rather use the equity to invest in something else.

as for your last point on younger generation not being to catch up, i really cant comment as it seems to be a debate relative to what year we are in. i can only comment to my own experience but ill save that for another post
Advertisement
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #15102
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
I’m not disagreeing with most of what you said, but the upgrade part is the worst of it.
Ok so he sells his 400k purchase for 700k and has 300k in the bank. Now he has a 300k down payment to upgrade to a 1m place that would have been 600k when he bought his 400k place effectively costing him 150k more than if he were to have purchased that originally. My numbers are an approximation based on a 50k original down payment but you get the idea. It’s a negative proposition for those upgrading. The big winners are those who are downgrading.
As I said, in most instances those who were first time home buyers that got into the entry level market, the increase in value is a negative other than using it as leverage to invest elsewhere.
As usual, the younger generation that wants to live in a city with job prospects to actually afford this, gets fucked by the increases while the older generation profits. There has to be a breaking point as the generation behind us has no chance.
This is a guy who gets it.

Having gotten a small(er) space for cheap back then doesn't mean you can do better now. Say back then a house was double the price of an apartment (300k vs. 600k), today, it would still be roughly double. Say the condo is now 600k, a house is 1.2M.

Sure now you have 300K additional equity, assuming everything being equal, still only have the 60k one originally put down for a 300k unit, so 360k in downpayment, so, 30% DP for a 1.2M house... yes... better... but let's not forget the loan to service now is for a 840k instead of 240k back then.

Unless one's income increased exponentially higher, the added equity still wouldn't afford a person from a condo to a house.

The only way to truly "benefit" from the RE market is if you pull out a particular market completely. By simply "upgrading" in the same market... any potential gain would be wiped.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #15103
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Don't forget the killer stress test now a days + higher property tax, strata fees that will bring down the mortgage qualifying amount
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #15104
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am one of the few who bought a condo 40 yr mortgage and zero down. 1 bed + den and one bath near Mayfair Mall in Victoria. Unfortunately my ex gf and I split about 3 years after purchase. I essentially signed over the condo to her with little to no equity. She barely qualified for the mortgage on her own after putting a large amount of cash down to lower the principle.

I bought a 5 bed 3 bath West Hills Langford house in 2012 after selling my 2 bed 2 bath condo I purchased on my own. It became an investment when I bought another older house in Saanich to live in. This was about 2015 before prices started rocketing and Vancouver buyers came over for our cheaper real estate. It had cash flow potential with a seperate 700 sq ft work shop, attached tandem garage and plenty of basement space. The steady rent from the shop has helped us a lot.

I sold the 2012 house in 2019 and net about 200k. Of course this old house works for us but prices in Victoria have gone up so fast that upgrading would mean a large mortgage. We will likely stay put and do upgrades instead of moving to a more expensive house in a nicer neighborhood.

If we stay on track we can be mortgage free in June 2023 at age 43 owning an older detached house in Saanich.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2019, 07:22 PM   #15105
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
After 16 years of renting, bought my first house and moved in today
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #15106
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Ok so he sells his 400k purchase for 700k and has 300k in the bank. Now he has a 300k down payment to upgrade to a 1m place that would have been 600k when he bought his 400k place effectively costing him 150k more than if he were to have purchased that originally.
While I agree that upgrading when the market is going up isn't ideal that's only really valid for someone that could afford the more expensive place the first time around but chose to buy a smaller place instead. I can't say I've ever met anyone who made that choice. If someone did do that though that means they had the extra money free to invest with. I don't know enough about that to say whether or not they could make $150k with the mortgage difference in the same amount of time but it's still a factor.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:21 PM   #15107
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,097 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
After 16 years of renting, bought my first house and moved in today
Congrats Jmac.

Knowing how thorough you are with stats I’d imagine this was quite the process for you. Based on your due diligence I’m sure you’re happy with the investment.

Congrats again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #15108
RS controls my life!

Failed 22 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
Just because things turned out this way, it doesn't mean that 4444's risk management was wrong. Equity markets roughly doubled since 2014 (SP500 in CAD return) so as long as you were invested in something, you probably wouldn't be in terrible spot right now either. Granted, buying a home gives retail investors tremendous amount of financial leverage that you otherwise wouldn't have access too. And if i remember correctly, 4444 had a lot of real estate exposure himself too; he just didn't agree with people overstretching themselves to become a homeowner or to buy multiple investment properties.
This is a tried and trued argument - that if you rented and socked away the extra $500-1000 (1/2BR) you would have 'saved" over home owners into a SPY and low MER fee type passive investment vehicle, you would've come close.

2 things
1/ discipline - most people are not that disciplined unless you had a great investment advisor/planner who had DRIP (direct investing) setup that took away $200-500/each paycheque so you couldn't even spend it. Out of sight - out of mind?

2/ leverage. Don't forget this part of any real estate transaction that isn't 100% cash. For investors like ourselves in most condo or presale deal - you are getting 4-5X leverage as all we are putting in is 15-20% of the total amount.

$300K going up 10% was $30K, or half your capital back (if you sold).
20% down on a $300K place was $60K.
The ETF/passive investor would only get 10% of $60K or about $6,000 unless they leveraged 5X and faced margin calls. Quite unlikely, let's be realistic.

Low rates everyday, everywhere Since GFC - worldwide rates has only continued to drop continually. From when I worked in the bank when prime was 6-7% and 5 year fixed rates were routinely 5.8% after discretionary discounts, the private lending and major 5 banks these days now average 2.5-3%. This only supercharged asset appreciation which includes stocks, assets, and of course real estate.

No doubt in next 3-5 years I have no doubt the market will continue to slow down but once again this real estate boom has created haves/have-nots even amongst our generation. Those 25-35 years old who had parents help on a down (or whatever boost) is now $100-200K wealthier than their renting counterparts. Keep in mind in most cities, real estate developers move the markets and have lobbyists in their favors, so it's quite unlikely things will change in the long run.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #15109

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
While I agree that upgrading when the market is going up isn't ideal that's only really valid for someone that could afford the more expensive place the first time around but chose to buy a smaller place instead. I can't say I've ever met anyone who made that choice. If someone did do that though that means they had the extra money free to invest with. I don't know enough about that to say whether or not they could make $150k with the mortgage difference in the same amount of time but it's still a factor.
I'll add one more clarification that your statement points out I wasn't clear on.
I'm not saying that the choice he made wasn't the right one for his well being, financial and lifestyle.
I'm saying the market going upward isn't beneficial.
He made the best decision he could have by purchasing a place at a lower price and entering the market, but the variables that are out of his control (the market value) are not a positive for him if he intends to stay in the market.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #15110
RS controls my life!

Failed 22 Times in 9 Posts
Happy holidays everyone! Been awhile since posted - been picking up great deals out there and certainly seeing some drastic price reductions for luxury type scenarios. Market has really recovered last 2-3 months and there's even multiple offers for reasonably priced listings.

Here are some Presales follow up 2-4 years later. Tidbits and anecdotes from deals I've come across and/or transacted.
1/ Vittorio metrotown - these have not done well. In 2017 you were a rockstar in summer if Polygon called you for these 2BR $1000/ft deals which started high $700's for 850ft around Maywood area. These are completing in 1.5years and I'm seeing below price assignments for people trying to get their money/liquidity out. LOSS
2/ Imperial metrotown - 2016 sold, 2019 completion. Listings are averaging $950-1000/ft so well up from the $800-850/ft from when it was launched in 2016. 15-25% profit. PROFIT.
3/ King George Hub Surrey - $259-299K 1BR sold out in a month back in 2017 winter 2 years ago. Assignents are happening aroud the $350-399K range, not huge profits but still in the money. PROFIT
4/ Cambie corridor Contessa - didn't do one here but in 2017 Magnum was selling out like hotcakes. I'm seeing cashloss deals here as price averaged $1200/ft along QE Park. $1.2M 2BR around 900ft people asking $950K to get out. LOSS.
5/ Onni's Belpark luxury Cambie Corridor build This is one of the best/worst deals for originally seller I've seen recently. $300K down on $1.4M place that's 1190ft 3BR. Walking away from the $300K deposit. There was about a 10% gain you can get on a near 1200+ ft place 3BR for $1.1M but it's still skinny with fees. LOSS for the original buyer.

New Presales few I've watching.
1. SOCO by Anthem Hot new presales from Anthem. They are hoping something like Station Square which is now the most successful multi-phase tower development in Canada. Right place, right time in 2013 when per ft was $500/ft. However with Coquitlam/Lougheed right now at $1,000.

2. Highline Metrotown by Thind I'm guestimating next Jan/Feb launch irght along Goldhouse and etc. SUN 2 Tower is not selling well and with recent Thind quality I can't expect much more. Rennie doing selling since MLA is a skeleton of their former self. $1K/ft but questionable quality on recent Thind projects will bring questions. Will see how Lumina Brentwood goes when they complete.

3. Lougheed area - City of LougheedTower 2/3 is moving slow. No pricing incentives yet but at least projects is going ahead with foundations/digging going on. $1000/ft still.

4. Fiorella Richmond by Polygon one of the newer condos right near Aberdeen coming by Polygon. Trusted builder and great quality/Q+A after market support. $1000/ft or so but good amenites as expected by a lowrise 2-3BR 5-6 story build.

More later - see you all in 2020!
Old 12-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #15111
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Something that is being forgotten here is that people do have the ability to buy more house when they make higher incomes as they enter into their late 30s and early 40s.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #15112
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
Took the plunge and submitted a suite selection form for two 1 bedroom units at Paradigm at River District. I'm keeping both units long term because I feel like once RD is completed prices will go up plus rent seems to be good.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #15113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Something that is being forgotten here is that people do have the ability to buy more house when they make higher incomes as they enter into their late 30s and early 40s.
Thats not being forgotten.
Making more money doesn't mean that spending more is beneficial. It means it's less of a burden than it would have been. You know what would be more beneficial? Making more money and it costing the same.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #15114
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Went to an open house at the “new” Thind lowrise by 1st and Renfrew and it’s a giant piece of shit. The rooms are tiny with floor plans that don’t make sense and overall quality is absolute dog shit. I feel bad for anyone that bought into that development
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #15115
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
$1200/sq ft Cambie not doing well?!? What a surprise lol

What a shit location for anything really, that development really only appeals to a very small demographic.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #15116
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Went to an open house at the “new” Thind lowrise by 1st and Renfrew and it’s a giant piece of shit. The rooms are tiny with floor plans that don’t make sense and overall quality is absolute dog shit. I feel bad for anyone that bought into that development
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
Happy holidays everyone! Been awhile since posted - been picking up great deals out there and certainly seeing some drastic price reductions for luxury type scenarios. Market has really recovered last 2-3 months and there's even multiple offers for reasonably priced listings.

Here are some Presales follow up 2-4 years later. Tidbits and anecdotes from deals I've come across and/or transacted.
1/ Vittorio metrotown - these have not done well. In 2017 you were a rockstar in summer if Polygon called you for these 2BR $1000/ft deals which started high $700's for 850ft around Maywood area. These are completing in 1.5years and I'm seeing below price assignments for people trying to get their money/liquidity out. LOSS
2/ Imperial metrotown - 2016 sold, 2019 completion. Listings are averaging $950-1000/ft so well up from the $800-850/ft from when it was launched in 2016. 15-25% profit. PROFIT.
3/ King George Hub Surrey - $259-299K 1BR sold out in a month back in 2017 winter 2 years ago. Assignents are happening aroud the $350-399K range, not huge profits but still in the money. PROFIT
4/ Cambie corridor Contessa - didn't do one here but in 2017 Magnum was selling out like hotcakes. I'm seeing cashloss deals here as price averaged $1200/ft along QE Park. $1.2M 2BR around 900ft people asking $950K to get out. LOSS.
5/ Onni's Belpark luxury Cambie Corridor build This is one of the best/worst deals for originally seller I've seen recently. $300K down on $1.4M place that's 1190ft 3BR. Walking away from the $300K deposit. There was about a 10% gain you can get on a near 1200+ ft place 3BR for $1.1M but it's still skinny with fees. LOSS for the original buyer.

New Presales few I've watching.
1. SOCO by Anthem Hot new presales from Anthem. They are hoping something like Station Square which is now the most successful multi-phase tower development in Canada. Right place, right time in 2013 when per ft was $500/ft. However with Coquitlam/Lougheed right now at $1,000.

2. Highline Metrotown by Thind I'm guestimating next Jan/Feb launch irght along Goldhouse and etc. SUN 2 Tower is not selling well and with recent Thind quality I can't expect much more. Rennie doing selling since MLA is a skeleton of their former self. $1K/ft but questionable quality on recent Thind projects will bring questions. Will see how Lumina Brentwood goes when they complete.

3. Lougheed area - City of LougheedTower 2/3 is moving slow. No pricing incentives yet but at least projects is going ahead with foundations/digging going on. $1000/ft still.

4. Fiorella Richmond by Polygon one of the newer condos right near Aberdeen coming by Polygon. Trusted builder and great quality/Q+A after market support. $1000/ft or so but good amenites as expected by a lowrise 2-3BR 5-6 story build.

More later - see you all in 2020!
LOL went into a low raise by Thind back in 2014 the quality is so bad we walk right out. The layout have so much wasted space (long hallways that leads to the kitchen) Shitty quality their blinds is actually made out of paper (my dad actually made a hole just by pulling the blinds normally). Shitty finish. And if you goolge Thind you will know they got lot's of complain.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #15117
RS controls my life!

Failed 64 Times in 21 Posts
Anecdotal but I heard that the arc by concord pacific is not doing well for flippers, especially 2 beds.
noclue is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #15118
I subscribe to Revscene

Failed 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Agree 100% and stay the F away from Thind, my sister bought into their lowrise a block away on 2nd, worst new building I ever walked into.
akira112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #15119
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
$1000/sf for maywood area roflmao
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #15120
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Is real estate like buying a used car? Are there any decent/good buys on units that are 7-10 year old range? There are so many new units being built and everyone flocks to pre-sales. Plus, you gotta think families eventually outgrow their 1 or 2 bedroom and into a townhouse. Only thing I hate about condos and stratas are the monthly maintenance. What is best value for the buck?
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #15121

When I was shopping 4 years ago, presales were the best value I could find. No stress, no fucking around with offers, just walk in and throw your deposit down. That ship has sailed, especially with these "investors."
I think to get a deal, finding some asshole that ended upside down on a presale flip on completion is going to be your best bet.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2019, 08:16 PM   #15122
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody have an opinion on the quality of Anthem properties?
shiesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:07 PM   #15123
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
Happy holidays everyon.........
I love reading your posts, no bullshit, just info. Unlike most realtors hiding their information and "news" websites posting garbage.

Thank you

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:11 PM   #15124
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,278 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 65 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
I love reading your posts, no bullshit, just info. Unlike most realtors hiding their information and "news" websites posting garbage.

Thank you
+1
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #15125
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Is real estate like buying a used car? Are there any decent/good buys on units that are 7-10 year old range? There are so many new units being built and everyone flocks to pre-sales. Plus, you gotta think families eventually outgrow their 1 or 2 bedroom and into a townhouse. Only thing I hate about condos and stratas are the monthly maintenance. What is best value for the buck?
With a townhouse you still pay a strata fee. Only duplex and house don't have strata fees.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote