REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:40 PM   #16051
I subscribe to Revscene

Failed 42 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Now that zealty.ca is back online, i looks like it was 5828 Lancaster Street.
26 yr old house, 2650sqft, 5bd 4bth 33x130 lot. Looks to be in good condition but original condition.
Whats interesting is that most people set 1.5 mil as their search criteria. To see something that was at 1.4x sell for 1.6x is pretty unusual.

Also to add to the above who mentioned to sell first and have no subject to sale, having subject to finance will potentially put you down further down the list if someone has a cash offer.
Advertisement
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:16 PM   #16052
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA9ve View Post
Whats interesting is that most people set 1.5 mil as their search criteria. To see something that was at 1.4x sell for 1.6x is pretty unusual.

Also to add to the above who mentioned to sell first and have no subject to sale, having subject to finance will potentially put you down further down the list if someone has a cash offer.
It should be unusual, but "affordable" detached inventory in van/bby has literally disappeared and what's been available has been bid up by builders tearing down to rebuild, investors buying to speculate, and upsizers looking to trade in their condo/th. Last year, at this time there were ~6500 active detached listings and right now there is only ~4400...
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:37 PM   #16053
I subscribe to Revscene

A 1900s home close to me with 4200 sq ft lot, mortgage helper recently sold for 1.38 but it was closed immediately... Cash offer. It's unfortunate these get snagged so fast by builders. I totally see a young family starting out in these homes but stand no chance against cash offers. Mind you the home looked livable with early 2000 Reno's.

During our deal, we had subject to sale and the seller accepted. We had 2 weeks to sell but had no bites, next thing we knew, they didn't want to extend our time as a builder had offered them cash. Lucky for us, we had a offer on our townhome and forced the buyer to close within 3 days (we gave them 35k off the last comp. Didn't care as we were so emotionally vested to move on.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:55 AM   #16054
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA9ve View Post

Of course a cash offer would be king. But if I had to pick between someone with a subject to sale vs a subject to finance, I would take the one with the subject to finance. Less variables to worry about.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #16055
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Of course a cash offer would be king. But if I had to pick between someone with a subject to sale vs a subject to finance, I would take the one with the subject to finance. Less variables to worry about.
I put in an offer on a place in Nordel with a subject to financing. They got higher offers as backup but with a subject to sale. We needed an extension to subject removal and it was fine. Guess they really didn't want a subject to sale.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #16056
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
No one wants a subject to sell. It's like waiting to sell 2 houses

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #16057
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
Imagine if the subject to sell also had a subject to sell.

Inception
Old 07-19-2020, 06:54 PM   #16058
Old School RS

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,229 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleophobic View Post
lol 5 year fixed 2.94% checking in. Signed in February FML
We decided to do at least $15k in prepayments each year to help pay down the principle and reduce overall interest but the total extra interest paid over 5 years vs a rate like 2.25% still amounts to ~$30k
So break it. You'll save enough to justify the penalty I suspect.

-Mark
Old 07-19-2020, 07:12 PM   #16059
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
I've never dealt with the situation, but isn't subject to sell kind of subject to finance too? Assuming the offer is based on what the buyer thinks their current place will sell for, if they end up selling for less than they thought could they fall short on their offer?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #16060
I don't get it

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I've never dealt with the situation, but isn't subject to sell kind of subject to finance too? Assuming the offer is based on what the buyer thinks their current place will sell for, if they end up selling for less than they thought could they fall short on their offer?
Exactly. Its almost like subject to financing but for a longer period of time. In the end, it will still be up to the buyer to accept a good offer or if they change their mind on the purchase property, they don't have to accept any offer and have it expire.
1.7El_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:24 PM   #16061
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Quote:
I understand why and where you are asking the question, but the two subjects (sell and finance) are not one and the same.

The subject to sale indicates you have equity tied up in an existing mortgage/property. Say the condo you are selling is worth $650,000 on the market (let's assume it's fair market value.) You list it on the market, and it sells, asking price. And let's assume you made a pretty penny off of the property, let's say $250,000 after agent and legal fees etc. You have $250K + whatever money you originally put down as your initial down payment (let's say $50K for sake of argument, I'm not doing math at this time of day) for a total of $300,000 in equity.

Okay, so now you have $300K in cash. That's pretty juicy. But let's say you aim for a house that's asking $2.5M and you and your spouse have a combined household income of only $140,000. The bank is going to want to see a much bigger down payment, and determine your creditworthiness, and ability to meet your monthly mortgage payments, and so forth. The bank is going to want to protect themselves by ensuring you can pay them back, and that this $2.5M house is really worth $2.5M on the market and for years to come. That and they want to know that the foundation isn't going to sink the moment you step foot on the front door, or the roof isn't going to collapse the next snow day etc. The list goes on, but given the scenario I just shared, the bank is going to tell you to fuck right off and laugh you out the door. If you don't put a subject to financing in there, you make an offer on the house of $2.5M, you better have a rich uncle to lend you that money. Not many banks are willing to let you have two mortgages at once without a very good reason, hence the subject to finance.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:59 PM   #16062

It's not really the same as normal subject to finance so that's probably a bad term to use but the buyer is banking on selling their current place for a certain value. Maybe I'm thinking of a situation that doesn't exist, but hopefully it makes more sense with numbers?

Say the buyers are offering $1M for a house, subject to the sale of their current condo. They're expecting to sell the condo for $500k, and expecting to land at $250k in total equity after fees etc. They're approved for a mortgage for the other $750k.

Except they don't get the $500k they expect for the condo, they only get $450k for whatever reason, so now when you add everything up they're at $950k total/$50k short. Now they're back to needing to get another $50k worth of financing. Now what happens?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 07-20-2020, 12:26 AM   #16063
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
If they can't obtain another 50k in financing it's best that they don't remove subjects on the property that they would like to buy so they can just walk away and keep their deposit (assuming their real estate agent put in the correct clause in the purchase contract). This is why subject to sale clauses (easily 1-2 months in length) are not strong offers and will most likely be skipped unless A) it's a buyers market or B) the offer is significantly higher than every other offer.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-20-2020, 12:32 AM   #16064
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
Cashing out and renting is a PITA but the leverage it gets you, is worth the sacrifice.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2020, 03:50 AM   #16065
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Agreed to both posts above. It really depends on market dynamics.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:36 AM   #16066
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
No one wants a subject to sell. It's like waiting to sell 2 houses
100%, if you remember late last year I accepted one of these offers because I was at the point of pulling it off the market anyway because I was done with showings and they were offering close to our ask.

I think it took them 3 months to sell their house? At the end of it they were like we have an offer on our place but it's less then expected so are you willing to drop the sale price of yours? I was like after 3 months? Nope, find another house we out. They came back and removed subjects.

Our issue was buying because by the time ours sold it was very much a buyers market and it was late fall so there wasn't much inventory. We eventually found a house and we really like it by I still feel like I overpaid but what can you do?

The worst thing about selling was the showings with two dogs. If I ever sell again it will be under the presumption to my Realtor that you get a two hour window once a week if anyone wants to see the house they can come in that window if they can't make that window it's probably not the house for them. People would always want to come during the week at dinner time, they'd show up late or sometimes they'd pull a no show pissed me off so bad.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2020, 09:40 PM   #16067
I subscribe to Revscene

Aside from E Van, seems like there's some decent inventory under 1.5 range in BBY. But I guess you cant compare apples to oranges.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:25 PM   #16068

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
100%, if you remember late last year I accepted one of these offers because I was at the point of pulling it off the market anyway because I was done with showings and they were offering close to our ask.

I think it took them 3 months to sell their house? At the end of it they were like we have an offer on our place but it's less then expected so are you willing to drop the sale price of yours? I was like after 3 months? Nope, find another house we out. They came back and removed subjects.

Our issue was buying because by the time ours sold it was very much a buyers market and it was late fall so there wasn't much inventory. We eventually found a house and we really like it by I still feel like I overpaid but what can you do?

The worst thing about selling was the showings with two dogs. If I ever sell again it will be under the presumption to my Realtor that you get a two hour window once a week if anyone wants to see the house they can come in that window if they can't make that window it's probably not the house for them. People would always want to come during the week at dinner time, they'd show up late or sometimes they'd pull a no show pissed me off so bad.
Last time I sold a car, I had 17 appointments in a weekend and only 4 showed up (only 2 on time). "Family emergency" was a common excuse

People have zero respect these days.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2020, 04:14 AM   #16069

For home insurance (detached) is getting a monitored alarm system worth the cost savings vs a local alarm system?

Old 07-21-2020, 06:15 AM   #16070

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Last time I sold a car, I had 17 appointments in a weekend and only 4 showed up (only 2 on time). "Family emergency" was a common excuse

People have zero respect these days.
100%, I've never missed an appointment with a total no show at the very least I'd cancel with some notice.

I think if I was selling a vehicle I'd do the same thing as well, set up a viewing window on a certain day this way you're only inconvenienced a couple hours once a week, so many people are such flakes.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:34 AM   #16071

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
For home insurance (detached) is getting a monitored alarm system worth the cost savings vs a local alarm system?

Do you yave a landline? When I looked into it a few years ago it was if you have an existing landline, once you add the cost of a landline or the cellular setup it wasn't worth it
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2020, 08:02 AM   #16072

Quote:
Do you yave a landline? When I looked into it a few years ago it was if you have an existing landline, once you add the cost of a landline or the cellular setup it wasn't worth it
We do. We'll probably port it over to the new place. But I'm leaning on not keeping the landline.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #16073
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 29 Posts
BTW rates dropped again on Monday (20th) for TD and HSBC. Im sure other banks dropped too.

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2020, 12:35 PM   #16074
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Most monitored home security systems now operate with a SIM card built in with a backup over your wifi.

Generally speaking the reduction in hone insurance will only cover the basic home security packages, anything additional like cameras etc will be paid out of pocket.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:35 PM   #16075
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Failed 61 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly View Post
BTW rates dropped again on Monday (20th) for TD and HSBC. Im sure other banks dropped too.
Banks could never match what a monoline lender is offering us at 1.89 for 5 years fixed. Just waiting till Sept 8 when our 120 days till closing comes into effect for us to take this offer, unless rates go down even lower.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote