REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:00 PM   #16076
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
I asked my broker friend, surprisingly Scotia can only do 2.1% 5y var and 2.44% 5 year fixed on a 30y heloc which is still pretty high but said lending is a bit more relaxed
Advertisement
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2020, 01:16 PM   #16077
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Any thought on Tsawassen (or any particular area in there)? Was talking to one of my son's ex-classmate mom and they are planning on moving there for the kid's school (Southpointe I guess) and she said the school and area is really nice.

Just wanted to get a perspective from people who are familiar with the area.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:07 PM   #16078
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 14 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Any thought on Tsawassen (or any particular area in there)? Was talking to one of my son's ex-classmate mom and they are planning on moving there for the kid's school (Southpointe I guess) and she said the school and area is really nice.

Just wanted to get a perspective from people who are familiar with the area.
I'm personally a fan. Has a nice beach, dog friendly, good walking/biking trails, not too far from Vancouver, several schools, lots of restaurants and grocery stores, reasonable traffic, and cheap gas + parcels once/if the border reopens. With the new mall being close by theres no need to drive up to Richmond or Guildford for basic shopping needs.
Oshiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2020, 08:20 PM   #16079
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Tsawassen is a different style of living, if you're a family and doesn't have any ties in downtown (partying) / asian dim sum / bubble tea fix, then you're good. If you're constantly thriving for amazing mountain biking at N. Van.. then yeah, it ain't for you.

So just address what you're looking for and target based on that.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2020, 08:42 PM   #16080
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I’ve literally never known anyone from Twsawssen/Ladner etc lol

Honestly feels pretty isolated. Even to drive from east van to Twsawssen mills it takes over an hour most days. Could almost drive to Chilliwack in the same time
Old 07-22-2020, 09:20 PM   #16081
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
My realtor lives in Ladner/Tsawassen. Says great things about the (private) schools and the community there. She bought a tesla to ride in the HOV lane so it doesn't take too long to travel into Van but if there's an incident in or around the tunnel you're SOL.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2020, 11:01 PM   #16082

Thanks for the posts. How about the areas though? Like in safety, traffic, discrimination... etc.

Any area to avoid at all cost or are they all pretty much the same?

After living for a while in South Surrey, I don't find the commute too bad. I used to live in New West/Burnaby, and except some places, it's always 30min to everywhere, which isn't much different than now except if I had to go downtown Van or West/North Van.

But there's only a certain area here that are nice, and the nice areas are getting too crowded. Many development going on (turn acrage houses into multiple houses) and new immigrants coming in and out too often. It's fast losing that old timer charm it once had. Heck... my neighbour has been living in the same house for 35yrs and recently considering selling their place to move somewhere else as they barely know their neighbours anymore.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:30 AM   #16083
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Discrimination? Not sure but I’d consider it one of the last majorly white areas in the lower mainland. Take that as you will. Lol

I’d almost compare it to whiterock. F all to do, but lots of sunshine and great family
neighbourhoods. If your not into the mountains, or lots of eating out it’s pretty much perfect.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2020, 06:07 AM   #16084
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
I worked in Ladner for over 10 years. Pretty dominantly white but there's also some mixed White/Japanese and full Japanese residents. Also Indigenous as well. For the most part vast majority are quite friendly and I've never ran into any issues with discrimination/racism. My wife really likes the area so maybe eventually if we ever decide to buy a detached in lower mainand Tsawwassen/Ladner could be a very high possibility but only if we aren't tied down to 9-5 job.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2020, 08:25 AM   #16085

I looked at the townhouses on the leasehold land around tawassen mills. The area is nice but the commute to Vancouver is just too much, old ass tunnel + a bridge. Also one earthquake or tsunami would flatten everything
Old 07-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #16086

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Failed 335 Times in 77 Posts
Imagine having to spell out Twsawssen to your asian relatives when they ask where you live.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:55 AM   #16087
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,418 Times in 863 Posts
Failed 36 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
Imagine having to spell out Twsawssen to your asian relatives when they ask where you live.
I can just imagine telling por por you moved to Tsawwassen.

"... MAE WAH SUN AH"
Old 07-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #16088

Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,975 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the posts. How about the areas though? Like in safety, traffic, discrimination... etc.

Any area to avoid at all cost or are they all pretty much the same?

After living for a while in South Surrey, I don't find the commute too bad. I used to live in New West/Burnaby, and except some places, it's always 30min to everywhere, which isn't much different than now except if I had to go downtown Van or West/North Van.

But there's only a certain area here that are nice, and the nice areas are getting too crowded. Many development going on (turn acrage houses into multiple houses) and new immigrants coming in and out too often. It's fast losing that old timer charm it once had. Heck... my neighbour has been living in the same house for 35yrs and recently considering selling their place to move somewhere else as they barely know their neighbours anymore.
I find it hilarious you're asking about discrimination in Tsawwassen, meanwhile telling people to "suck it up" in the George Floyd thread. Your hypocrisy is amazing.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:49 AM   #16089
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
This is exactly what's happening to Van. I grew up in east van and the neighbourhood feel I grew up with is completely gone. Rentals & cars line the streets, your neighbours are strangers & always changing, houses/yards aren't maintained, etc. It's becoming quite a clusterf* in many pockets. A sign of the times I suppose, but it's a stark difference compared to what it was like 20 years ago.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #16090
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I attribute it partly to the lack of city maintenance as well.

Now the city does this stupid bullshit where people adopt a boulevard rather than clean and manage it themselves..

Last edited by Hondaracer; 07-23-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:17 PM   #16091

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I find it hilarious you're asking about discrimination in Tsawwassen, meanwhile telling people to "suck it up" in the George Floyd thread. Your hypocrisy is amazing.
I am asking for discrimination in a sense of how friendly people are in respect of newcomers and/or other stuff. No need to get too overly sensitive on the word. It can have broader meanings. Who's being hypocrite here?

Some oldtimer towns can be quite unfriendly to new people regardless your skin color. I was just asking how people in the area are toward newcomers.

I never have problem blending in, never really have to suck it up as I just become part of the society. It's those people who complain about racism and YET seek segregation who are hypocrite.

Last edited by Hehe; 07-23-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:28 PM   #16092
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
It's those people who complain about racism and YET seek segregation who are hypocrite.
Who the fuck is doing this?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #16093

Oh I dunno. Any BLM supporters care to chime in?
Old 07-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #16094
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Well since you're so adamant such an opinion exists out there, perhaps you can quote a prominent BLMer that is pro-segregation and share with the rest of us? Otherwise I think you need a bathroom break since you're talking out of your ass more so than usual today.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #16095

Thanked 2,511 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
If you guys were to buy your first 1 -2 BR home at <$525k, ideally $400 - 475k because I rather put more money into investments. Which areas would you guys wanna live at? Some considerations I've taken is that most of my future workplaces will likely be in Downtown. I want to be close to the city center since I'm approaching mid 20's and will likely still be going out to bars and events in the city. So 45min - 1 hour commutes are probably a no go at the moment.

Been loosely browsing around every other day the last two years but I wanted to see what other peoples opinions are. So far I've been mainly looking at renovated 20 to 50 year old apartments. The Joyce area seems to be the best value in the Vancouver area. I've also considered older renovated homes in Kits/Brentwood. If I was going new, I might look into some units by Bridgeport in Richmond. But I think older well kept units closer to the city is still the way to go.

I'll manage to save enough for a downpayment in the next 1 - 1.5 years. So I think it's time I should start looking more seriously. Some people suggested I get a 2br place and Airbnb or renting out the 2nd room. Anyone ever taken this route before?

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #16096
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
When I had a two bedroom unit, I rented the second bedroom for years. It is a good way to have the money to do the things you want in your 20s - invest, and have spending money for fun.

I would say Burnaby Heights or Brentwood is where some value can still be found as there's enough older building stock that's in your price range. It's Skytrain accessible and bike accessible. Also, people in their 20s now respect Burnaby as a good place to start out. The perception of an area like Brentwood has changed massively over the past 5-7 years.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2020, 04:33 PM   #16097

In addition to my post, I've never lived anywhere other than south Vancouver. So I'm kinda clueless as to what it's like to live in other areas other than commuting there for fun.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 07-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #16098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
When I had a two bedroom unit, I rented the second bedroom for years. It is a good way to have the money to do the things you want in your 20s - invest, and have spending money for fun.

I would say Burnaby Heights or Brentwood is where some value can still be found as there's enough older building stock that's in your price range. It's Skytrain accessible and bike accessible. Also, people in their 20s now respect Burnaby as a good place to start out. The perception of an area like Brentwood has changed massively over the past 5-7 years.
I think as more friends start moving out on their own and start living in the Brentwood area. I was more open to moving there since it'd be nice not having to commute 30 minutes to go to a friends place.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 07-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #16099

Under $500 for 2 bed room is tough. Joyce I would say is still best value in Van, as prices are still dragged down by the wall center units. And there is sky train. You might be able to stretch a larger one bed and den in the existing towers. Keep in mind you're getting concrete highrise and not wood frame.

But who knows by then, 2 years down the road prices will most likely recover.

There's always Surrey or new West. Considering they both has sky train so getting into dt won't be an issue. Also no free vis

I already hate driving around Brent wood, traffic is pretty bad, roads are shit and I feel the roads aren't enough to support the amount that they are building there. And I'm sure even the one beds are near the top of your budget.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2020, 06:38 PM   #16100
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 17 Times in 12 Posts
I've been living up SFU Burnaby for a few years and it's been wonderful. Great community and definitely falls within your budget. Great selection in terms of $/sqft and the views are amazing in every direction if you are fortunate to score one with. Wonderful hike / mountain bike trails and also an entire campus for walks. Also a really dope arcade bar that's only a 12 minute walk away. Traffic varies depending on when you leave home, but it rarely gets to the point of stop and go.
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: