REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:09 PM   #17051
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
What do you do?

My tech friends are starting to hit $100k TC and no CS degree this year despite Covid. They have 2 to 4 years of experience which is so sick. I wanna say they're an outlier but I don't know anymore haha. It reallly motivates me to consider making a switch after CPA exams and find my niche in fin-tech or accounting/finance software. I'm projecting that I'll join the low 100k club around 6ish years of experience and CPA. Which is hella long compared to the CS grads that are pulling in $150k TC first year at Amazon/Shopify lol.
You get some and lose some at Amazon. Also keep in mind TC is not the same as salary. Your TC can be 120k or 150k, but your salary may only be 80k. If you can't suck it up and tough it out then that TC ain't happening.

You might want to consider getting some industry experience and then moving to a technical BA role where you help define requirements without touching code. You can easily get paid similar amounts if not more if you bring industry experience.
Advertisement
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2021, 10:26 PM   #17052
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 2 Times in 1 Post
Keep in mind not all companies in Vancouver pays the same as well. From what I've been seeing, currently in Vancouver right now, there are really 2 tech markets. The canadian tech companies and large corporate companies (hootsuite, shopify, etc), and there are the SF startups/ medium size companies that can't compete down in the Bay Area but willing to pay here in Vancouver (Asana, Grammarly, Brex).

Fyi, Facebook and Apple is also currently here in Vancouver as well and been here for a while. They have been using their Vancouver office as a holding office for Visas etc.
KayC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2021, 12:48 PM   #17053
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
So I got a call last night around 8-9PM from my realtor for a last-minute showing for noon today. My wife and I busted our ass cleaning up and polishing up everything last minute to make the apartment show-ready since our last showing was before Christmas. Too short notice to take time off from work as well, we are both WFH so we timed our lunches to let this person have a look.

The other people came in, spent like 3 minutes, and fucked off. Apparently they wanted a higher view (from a 3rd floor apartment). What a fucking waste of time.

Can you not even look at the listing pictures, which clearly shows the view from the balcony/windows?
Most of the blame lies with that person but your realtor shares a bit of the blame. They should've vetted the potential buyer better.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:04 PM   #17054
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,434 Times in 563 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Most of the blame lies with that person but your realtor shares a bit of the blame. They should've vetted the potential buyer better.
More so on the buying agent. IMO they were the ones that should've known their clients preferences, and immediately scratched this off their list. Instead, they wasted everyone's time. But, alas that is the RE market. Just throw everything at the wall and see what comes out the other side kinda thing
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:03 PM   #17055
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
More so on the buying agent. IMO they were the ones that should've known their clients preferences, and immediately scratched this off their list. Instead, they wasted everyone's time. But, alas that is the RE market. Just throw everything at the wall and see what comes out the other side kinda thing
Even if the buying/selling agent does their best to vet the client's preferences, sometimes you just walk into a place and know right away that it's not the one you are looking for, even though the property looked great in pictures and checked off most of your boxes. I've been a buyer a few times before, so I know what it's like and how quickly your requirements can change.

It's a lot like the interviewing process as an interviewer or interviewee. Sometimes, the interviewee is just there to practice their interviewing skills, or they are really only considering the opportunity at the company as a plan B or C.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2021, 05:05 PM   #17056
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 15 Times in 7 Posts
this ^^..as a buyer as long as its close to your criteria you really should take a look at it...its like test driving different cars to get a feel of what you like
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2021, 05:14 PM   #17057
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,535 Times in 536 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
What do you do?
Property manager. Unlicensed which means that I can only work for the sociopath billionaires that own/manage their own RE assets.12k/yr raises + small bonuses are common but they own your life and make sure that you know that.
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2021, 10:57 PM   #17058
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
I thought Vancouver re is so hot during covid
multiple offers even before 1st showing

sorry that there’s no open house rn
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:53 PM   #17059
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 81 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
What do you do?

My tech friends are starting to hit $100k TC and no CS degree this year despite Covid. They have 2 to 4 years of experience which is so sick. I wanna say they're an outlier but I don't know anymore haha. It reallly motivates me to consider making a switch after CPA exams and find my niche in fin-tech or accounting/finance software. I'm projecting that I'll join the low 100k club around 6ish years of experience and CPA. Which is hella long compared to the CS grads that are pulling in $150k TC first year at Amazon/Shopify lol.
It's good that you have a CPA, but experience and portfolio will compensate for the degree. The expectations when hiring a College/Univ graduates is that they pull 60+ hours a week coding. Paying 80K is not a prob.

Vancouver doesn't have much roots for SW developers for fin-tech or accounting/finance software. The two larger ones Blackline and Galvanize, has a significant pay discrepancy between staff based in Vancouver and Toronto/US.

IOS, python developers is where the big bucks are had...
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2021, 06:39 PM   #17060
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Even if the buying/selling agent does their best to vet the client's preferences, sometimes you just walk into a place and know right away that it's not the one you are looking for, even though the property looked great in pictures and checked off most of your boxes. I've been a buyer a few times before, so I know what it's like and how quickly your requirements can change.

It's a lot like the interviewing process as an interviewer or interviewee. Sometimes, the interviewee is just there to practice their interviewing skills, or they are really only considering the opportunity at the company as a plan B or C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw0op View Post
this ^^..as a buyer as long as its close to your criteria you really should take a look at it...its like test driving different cars to get a feel of what you like
I get going to showings to get a sense of space. Things that show terribly in photos can end up being really good and something you want and vice versa.

However, this buying agent and potential buyer are fucking stupid. You're looking at a 3rd floor condo and your excuse for wasting everyone's time is that "the view sucks" What the fuck kind of view did you expect from a 3rd floor condo

It's like my friend that's trying to sell his house right now. Realtor took excellent photos inside and outside to showcase it. One of the people showed up and one of the main complaints was that there were 3 steps leading up to their main door
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:46 PM   #17061
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,657 Times in 573 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
I get going to showings to get a sense of space. Things that show terribly in photos can end up being really good and something you want and vice versa.

However, this buying agent and potential buyer are fucking stupid. You're looking at a 3rd floor condo and your excuse for wasting everyone's time is that "the view sucks" What the fuck kind of view did you expect from a 3rd floor condo

It's like my friend that's trying to sell his house right now. Realtor took excellent photos inside and outside to showcase it. One of the people showed up and one of the main complaints was that there were 3 steps leading up to their main door
I hope all the other buyers has these kinds of ridiculous "demands" when I buy a place, it will make the bidding war less competitive.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:21 PM   #17062
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
When you guys are assessing potential rental properties, how are you determining an approximate rent if it isn't currently rented out?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:35 PM   #17063
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 113 Times in 59 Posts
bought at the peak in 2016-2017, I'm looking to sell now to upsize to a 2bdr or townhouse

should I bite the bullet and take a haircut ($30-50k)? or wait a bit closer to summer?

thing is, if the market moves up say 5-10%, it translates into a much relative larger move on the buying / purchase side for the new upsized place (10% on +1mil compared to condo)
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:40 PM   #17064
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
^
??? If you're buying into the same general area, whatever you're wanting to buy will also drop and rise with the same market... so waiting for your place to go up so you can afford more is a but of a misnomer... the place you want to buy will also go up.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:58 PM   #17065

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
16 17 wasn't the peak. Also the prices are relative, yours goes up, the next place will go up in value too. And it's gonna be harder to chase upwards. As they are in higher demand than 1 bed unit right now. There's no such thing as sell high buy low. Only buy higher. Just like all the people that chickened out on their stocks in March, and "I'll buy it back when the markets has recovered after Coronas" well look what happened now.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #17066
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
When you guys are assessing potential rental properties, how are you determining an approximate rent if it isn't currently rented out?
Could be a dick move, but I made an ad to test out what candidates were like and if there's interest at that price-point. Otherwise, I'd look at comparables within that area in addition to historical data for that area and make a decision on the estimate.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:50 AM   #17067
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 386 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
When IÂ’m looking at places out of town I join Facebook rental groups in that area. You can then get a feel for prices, demand and check the peopleÂ’s wanted ads profile to see if they are scumbags. You can also join community groups related to a specific city to find problem areas. Rant and rave groups are good because people will rant about the less desirable areas with theft/homeless etc.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2021, 02:56 PM   #17068
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,754 Times in 1,105 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4k4v4li View Post
bought at the peak in 2016-2017, I'm looking to sell now to upsize to a 2bdr or townhouse

should I bite the bullet and take a haircut ($30-50k)? or wait a bit closer to summer?

thing is, if the market moves up say 5-10%, it translates into a much relative larger move on the buying / purchase side for the new upsized place (10% on +1mil compared to condo)
i guess what you're trying to say is that the condo market might catch up faster in appreciation vs the th market, since the condo market lags behind a bit?
even if you gain 10% on the condo and the th market only moves up 5% this summer, there would be almost no difference because of the price difference between the two.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:04 PM   #17069
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
16 17 wasn't the peak. Also the prices are relative, yours goes up, the next place will go up in value too. And it's gonna be harder to chase upwards. As they are in higher demand than 1 bed unit right now. There's no such thing as sell high buy low. Only buy higher. Just like all the people that chickened out on their stocks in March, and "I'll buy it back when the markets has recovered after Coronas" well look what happened now.
If 17 wasn’t the peak when was?

Every house I watch on eassessment was worth between 150-400k more in 2017
Old 01-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #17070
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,023 Times in 787 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
Every property that I've seen take a hit when sold recently were purchased in 17/18 as well to further add to that argument.

Last edited by jing; 01-12-2021 at 03:21 PM.
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2021, 05:18 PM   #17071

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
I think the official peak was 18 based on what I've seen. But yea any gains on your 1 bed won't be enough to catch up. Ie 10% on $500k = $50k but if you're trying to get into $1m even a 8% increase will be $80k you won't be able to catch up. I think the demand for one bed is still soft cuz soft rental, no students or new immigrants. Ppl who are in the market for the cheapest units are probably cerb recipients with reduced incomes.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:26 PM   #17072

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
I remember renting out my condo for i think $2000-2100 and basically got no one inquiring about it, the next week i changed up the ad to $1900 and got 20 people asking about it.(I guess people will filter out certain price points out of their search) Even though showing the place to that many people is a chore, it helped me pick the best possible renter.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:23 PM   #17073
I subscribe to Revscene

Failed 42 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
I remember renting out my condo for i think $2000-2100 and basically got no one inquiring about it, the next week i changed up the ad to $1900 and got 20 people asking about it.(I guess people will filter out certain price points out of their search) Even though showing the place to that many people is a chore, it helped me pick the best possible renter.
what area of town?
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:19 PM   #17074

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA9ve View Post
what area of town?
Kingsway and Knight area, but this was 3 years ago
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2021, 09:23 AM   #17075

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Just tested Joyce Collingwood area for $1,900/1BR and had over 40 - 50 inquiries. I felt like they were higher risk tenants and maybe 2 - 3 solid applications from couples with good-paying jobs.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is online now   Reply With Quote