REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-26-2021, 04:56 PM   #17201
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Noob question here.

To buy a rental property requires 20% down. If I buy a new property to live in and rent my current house out instead, do I still need to put 20% down on the new place or could I do 5% again? If I am allowed to do 5%, how long do I have to actually have the new place as my primary residence?
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2021, 05:13 PM   #17202
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 386 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Noob question here.

To buy a rental property requires 20% down. If I buy a new property to live in and rent my current house out instead, do I still need to put 20% down on the new place or could I do 5% again? If I am allowed to do 5%, how long do I have to actually have the new place as my primary residence?
You can do 5% on the new place if it’s your primary residence. May need to use a different insurer eg genworth or whatever they changed to vs CMHC depending how long you’ve been in the current house.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2021, 05:31 PM   #17203

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
What are people's thoughts on the Deer Lake area of Burnaby? Thinking about a townhouse... but considering the long-term value and desirability. Does it make sense to buy a $1 million dollar townhouse with a strata fee north of $400/month, or a single-family home much further out with a rental suite?
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2021, 06:18 PM   #17204
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
If you’re talking about those town homes across from esso etc. Personally I’d be pretty weary, especially if you’re getting into a bidding war etc.

I’ve gone into a few open houses and the build quality is what I would consider borderline acceptable. Basically I’d say given the current prices and market trends those places will be going for like the maxxxxx you should pay imo. Also you’re right beside the firehall and major rush hour traffic
Old 01-26-2021, 06:29 PM   #17205
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're also sandwiched between two major roads so air and sound quality is questionable.

I also find Burnaby's streetscape and overall public amenities to be lacklustre.
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:55 PM   #17206
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 36 Times in 2 Posts
I have a friend that just moved out of a complex called Saville Row. Bought presale, sold last year.

Although central on a map, he didn't like it for a few reasons:
  • Surprisingly poor transit options: hard to get to SkyTrain, Highway 1 to the north and a steep hill to the south
  • Constant traffic - although close to Highway 1, it's in the most congested part, and you can hear the traffic
  • Just as hard to go North-South, as Canada Way is busy throughout most of the day
  • The busy-ness of the streets in the area made walkability poor - him and his wife couldn't see letting kids walk to school, esp. in winter
  • Certain amenities/services, e.g. grocery store, were too far & inconvenient (partly due to the traffic issue)

On the bright side, he said it was nice being near Deer Lake, and it's clearly desirable for some as it sold within days.

They ended up moving to a townhome in Port Moody (George) for about the same price as they sold for. Edit: just checked with him - slightly more, essentially the 5% for the GST on the new build townhouse. Further out but a way more pleasant neighbourhood and more convenient transit options. I suspect PoMo has greater long-term upside too with the downtown redevelopment plan, although it's not a good area if you need to commute by car to downtown (if you transit though, WCE and SkyTrain have you covered).

Last edited by carsncars; 01-26-2021 at 07:04 PM.
carsncars is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2021, 07:46 PM   #17207
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Regarding the down payment question. Is your current house free and clear? Can you just buy the rental with the a heloc? Or are you buying something very expensive. Gonna be tougher to do it on paper as you have to service double the housing costs. Do you have any cash as down payment?

Not familiar with deer lake town houses but is it the ones behind bcit? Those are like 40 years old. I rather buy in a place with more infrastructure or family friendly. That area seems like you need a car to do anything.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:37 PM   #17208
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Regarding the down payment question. Is your current house free and clear? Can you just buy the rental with the a heloc? Or are you buying something very expensive. Gonna be tougher to do it on paper as you have to service double the housing costs. Do you have any cash as down payment?
It isn't, we still owe ~40% on the current house (8 years in). There's a decent sized HELOC attached to it sitting unused, and we have some cash as well, but from my understanding the less we can put for a down payment the better with rates being so low.

In addition all the paperwork for this house is in my name only, so from what I can find my wife technically qualifies as a first-time home buyer. I just can't see anything that says how long the home you buy has to be your primary residence, since we want to live in this house when the kids are in school (still a few years out from starting that).
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:47 PM   #17209
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 28 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe22 View Post
Probably sold for 1.5 million without conditions
Pretty close. Sold for 1.48 million without conditions.
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2021, 10:28 PM   #17210
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,510 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
Gerbs,
Buying realtors if anything take lots more expenses - driving around, time, printing tour sheets, it's a real grind for when you're starting out.
If they're doing 30+ a year they are doing well - if you average $500K per property you are likely grossing $8,000+ per property.

x30 = $240,000! That's a pretty good number... until you look at expenses side.

Expenses and obviously marketing costs (rebates to clients, dining, gifts, marketing expenses, realtor fees, license fees, etc) can take a big chunk out of that. If they are REALLY discounting 50% on all deals (before tax), they may not be making much at all NET. Still at 30+ deals a year they are definitely ahead of many realtors in the industry, most average less than 5 a year (stats). In that instance they would be wise to incorporate and build out a PREC (Personal RE Corp) to defer taxes and income for leaner years.

I don't think a 30% rebate back end of the day especially for a larger house ($1-2M) is unreasonable but in my own experience most people who appreciate your efforts and fact you got them a good deal / sold property for more $ isn't going to nickel and dime you for an extra $2-3K.

With low rates again and presales heating up - if I got anyone a great smoking unit that 5 other people will write with me with no ASK of 50% rebate, guess who I'm calling first?
With most things in life, you get what you pay for.
Thanks for your input! Referred 4 friends to my buddy who all bought in Dec. They all ended up getting 30% of Gross but I got 50% because we are closer.

However, just wanted to make sure it was a fair offer at 50%. They didn't tour, drive or print anything. Just had to draft an offer and sign off. Just wanted to see where the value-added input was.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:52 AM   #17211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If you’re talking about those town homes across from esso etc. Personally I’d be pretty weary, especially if you’re getting into a bidding war etc.

I’ve gone into a few open houses and the build quality is what I would consider borderline acceptable. Basically I’d say given the current prices and market trends those places will be going for like the maxxxxx you should pay imo. Also you’re right beside the firehall and major rush hour traffic
Sorry, I should have been more specific. All the complexes east of Royal Oak, the Oaklands area or whatever it is called. I agree that transportation connectivity isn't great - have to drive everywhere. But access to Hwy 1 is decent, proximity to Metrotown and you can pretty much walk into Deer Lake Park.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2021, 12:08 PM   #17212
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Sorry, I should have been more specific. All the complexes east of Royal Oak, the Oaklands area or whatever it is called. I agree that transportation connectivity isn't great - have to drive everywhere. But access to Hwy 1 is decent, proximity to Metrotown and you can pretty much walk into Deer Lake Park.
Oh yea, those would be much preferred to the ones I referenced imo.

Honestly, don’t discount being close to the highway. Living by the PNE, a lot of my friends and my parents still live in Surrey. In non-peak times I get get from cassiar to Fraser Heights in under 20 minutes

If I lived around Main Street or even between say, nanaimo and Clark, it might take 20-30 just to get to the HWY, likely turning me off from going and seeing friends/family all together
Old 01-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #17213
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
^ plus you develop Vancouver syndrome, where crossing a bridge becomes an equivalent effort to visiting a foreign country (pre-Covid )
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #17214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Oh yea, those would be much preferred to the ones I referenced imo.

Honestly, don’t discount being close to the highway. Living by the PNE, a lot of my friends and my parents still live in Surrey. In non-peak times I get get from cassiar to Fraser Heights in under 20 minutes

If I lived around Main Street or even between say, nanaimo and Clark, it might take 20-30 just to get to the HWY, likely turning me off from going and seeing friends/family all together
Yah we live near Main Street now - and that's the thing. Takes 15 minutes at minimum to get to Hwy 1, usually take Grandview.

My wife and I's biggest issue moving east is that we love our neighbourhood, the walkability, cafes, restaurants, parks, etc. Hard to replicate elsewhere. But we understand that we need to upgrade soon, and the reality is we either get a large 2 bedroom in our area, or move into a Burnaby townhouse, or move farther east for a house with mortgage helper (which is going to make our commutes shitty).
Old 01-27-2021, 02:17 PM   #17215
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
I picked moving further away (southwest coquitlam) over a townhouse in Vancouver/BBY. Had some bad experiences with strata living and that was enough for me. That + the appreciation of land + the mortgage helper (assuming you have a good tenant) really makes the financial side an easy decision.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:20 PM   #17216
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
After trying a couple offers in Coquitlam, we went to Poco.
2,000sqft house can be split into 2 suites. Sub-dividable. Listed just below $1.0m.

Mortgage was already approved, and we took our realtor's advice and went in at $1.1m and sniped it from the other bidders trying to decide if $1,050,000 would be sufficient. The similar properties we wanted in Coquitlam were listed at $1.2m. I think we did alright.
Good move. A few houses in poco sold for 1.3, 1.19, and 1.365 today. (Not sure if they are comparable to yours). 2148 Hawthorne, 1855 Jacana, 1829 Mary Hill.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2021, 03:14 PM   #17217
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
What are people's thoughts on the Deer Lake area of Burnaby? Thinking about a townhouse... but considering the long-term value and desirability. Does it make sense to buy a $1 million dollar townhouse with a strata fee north of $400/month, or a single-family home much further out with a rental suite?
A house on land will always appreciate more than a townhouse because after all, you're buying a defined area of land, rather than a somewhat vague interest and a strata lot. Detached houses on non-strata land are an extinct species in the Lower Mainland and will become more scarce each year as lots are subdivided and stratified.

It comes down to your lifestyle. A house is more work, whether you outsource maintenance to others or you put in the work yourself, but at least you have control over your property. With a strata property, you have to trust that your strata council and your property management company are acting in your best interest. Even if you're the president of a strata council, there are no guarantees that you can maintain your property in the way that suits your needs and objectives.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2021, 04:27 PM   #17218
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,535 Times in 536 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 8 Posts
A lot of these strata/building management companies that "work" for a new strata were actually recommended or placed there by the developer. The management companies essentially do more favors for the developers than the strata they are suppose to be working for and are often canned a few years later when strata catches on. Just be aware that sometimes, no matter how good the council is, they are at the mercy of the management company to deal with the developer if its a newer build
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:30 PM   #17219
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post
A lot of these strata/building management companies that "work" for a new strata were actually recommended or placed there by the developer. The management companies essentially do more favors for the developers than the strata they are suppose to be working for and are often canned a few years later when strata catches on. Just be aware that sometimes, no matter how good the council is, they are at the mercy of the management company to deal with the developer if its a newer build
I don't see that as an issue at all because the strata can always choose to vote a management company out. If the starting company is not doing a good job, it'll be gone very soon after that first AGM.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:05 AM   #17220
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I don't see that as an issue at all because the strata can always choose to vote a management company out. If the starting company is not doing a good job, it'll be gone very soon after that first AGM.
It really all depends. If the builder decided to keep a few units then there may not be enough votes to get rid of the management company.

Rancho is the preferred company for a lot of builders and all the ones that I have dealt with suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:34 AM   #17221
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
crazy times....

put the house for sale at $1,499,900.

showed up on realty.ca on Jan 6th.

had a viewing next morning Jan 7th 11:30am

got the offer from those viewers Jan 7th 4pm. ($1,465,000)

... wife delisted it ... but confident if we countered with $1,490,000 it would have been sold.... a 4hr sales cycle.
Why are you teasing us. Inquiring minds would like to know why your wife delisted it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:21 AM   #17222
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,023 Times in 787 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
Too busy swapping tires on/off for the failed snowmageddon
Old 01-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #17223

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 73 Posts
Lets not make him the new Mr.HappySilp
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2021, 08:41 AM   #17224

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Failed 335 Times in 77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Why are you teasing us. Inquiring minds would like to know why your wife delisted it.
Greed
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:47 AM   #17225
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
Greed
If I were the buyer, would have came back and egg-ed the OP house for wasting my time LOL.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: