REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:31 PM   #17951
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 36 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I commuted from Burnaby to Richmond for a year, I had my car, and I hated every minute of it. The gas, the traffic, the idiots.
I had a co-op for 4 months in Richmond.

I am of the opinion that the Coquitlam to Richmond commute is potentially one of the worst in the Lower Mainland. You're affected by:
  • Highway 1 inc. Port Mann issues (although sometimes beneficial)
  • New Westminster inc. the hell that is Columbia/Front and the Patullo & Queensborough
  • 91A/91 inc. any issues on Alex Fraser

3 problem spots in a single commute. I think my commute ranged between 45 minutes and 1.5 hours.
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2021, 09:12 PM   #17952
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,173 Times in 1,553 Posts
Failed 120 Times in 54 Posts
I did the Coquitlam to Richmond commute for 5 years back in the early 2000. It was fucking brutal back then, and I'm sure it's magnitudes worse, now.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:53 PM   #17953
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
I remember when my best friend and coworker bought a house in Chilliwack 20+ years ago because it was affordable. We then started a 1 year project out at UBC, lol that commute, fuel bill and vehicle wear.... but such a cheap mortgage haha.

He would leave at 430am to best the traffic in the morning and sleep in tbe parking lot before work.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:47 PM   #17954
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Everyone has different value in life, depending on what matters most to you.

For years, I lived downtown. My commute was anywhere from 5 - 15 mins walk, depending on my job at the time. I could socialize after work as much as I wanted without having to worry about driving/taxi, etc. On a rainy day I could take an EVO home for $5. Anything I could ever possibly want was walking distance. I swore I'd never give that up.

Now we live on the North Shore and we couldn't be happier.

She goes for walks in the evening on her own (something she'd NEVER do downtown).

We love our view of downtown (had no view before) from our balcony.

It has a smaller city feel. Today I wrote to the City about something and a very nice guy wrote back to me within the hour with a detailed reply! Whenever we've had to call the RCMP (once for a loud party and once for a B&E) they attended super quick and made sure we were taken care of. VPD would have given zero fucks.

Parking in the neighbourhood is free when we have visitors before covid.

ICBC insurance is less expensive.

Our Save on Foods is massive and way less stressful. Big parking lot and free parking wide spaces, lots of space inside too (used to shop at the Save on Foods on Cambie with underground pay parking, tight spaces and cramped aisles, getting in and out quick was never easy).

Yes the downside is when the bridge gets snarled, there is gridlock. Most days (before covid) I'll take the seabus to work. It's way less stressful than driving, I chill out with podcasts and watch videos on my phone. Then I connect to the rapid bus.

At some point we just aged out of downtown. We are happier now surrounded by other couples and young families, instead of before when it was mostly younger people spending most of their time going to bars and clubs, something we don't do much anymore.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:40 AM   #17955
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Everyone has different value in life, depending on what matters most to you.
I totally agree with that. I know for me being close to work is really important to me, I live in Cloverdale and would never consider a job West of the Fraser River unless it was fuck you money. Both myself and my wife have a 10 minute commute and like many I'll probably never work from the office full time again, mostly working from home with the occasional office day.

I've done the commuting thing when roads were a lot worse then they are now, not sure how many of you remember what highway one was like in the 90s but you could get out and walk faster than that traffic flowed through Burnaby/Coquitlam East bound in the afternoon. I'm never doing bullshit like that again.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:10 AM   #17956
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,535 Times in 536 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 8 Posts
If you value your time and you work in Vancouver, don't ever consider living in Port moody/Coquitlam center area.

Grew up and lived in the area for 38 years. St.johns street sucked during rush hour 15years ago, is many times worse now, and will only suck even more with all of the new construction. When I worked in yaletown 2 yrs ago, It would take me 20+ mins just to crawl through traffic from the end of the barnet hwy to the newport area which is only about 4 kms. This was after just battling traffic for an hour or more from whichever site I was coming from in Downtown, Richmond or North Vancouver.

Those moving here better be damn sure that WFH is a permanent thing for them.
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2021, 07:22 AM   #17957
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,278 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 65 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post

I am of the opinion that the Coquitlam to Richmond commute is potentially one of the worst in the Lower Mainland. You're affected by:
  • New Westminster inc. the hell that is Columbia/Front and the Patullo & Queensborough

3 problem spots in a single commute. I think my commute ranged between 45 minutes and 1.5 hours.
Did this commute as well for a year. Absolutely terrible commute and there's always a jam/accident somewhere.
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:29 AM   #17958
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,886 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
This is why I think the area Burnaby South of metro or New West mainland is a good location. You're in the middle of the map and there's SkyTrain to get into Dt. Two options to get into Richmond. And really there isn't much you can't get around metro.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:07 AM   #17959
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Failed 154 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
If it's around burquitlam / north road / maillardville, then there's redevelopment potential for added density. Lots are getting assembled for multifamily or divided to build smaller detached houses (~3000-3500 sqft with or without laneway) that are selling for ~1.8-2.0M.

If it's a random SFH lot in central Coquitlam away from these areas, then here's the math. New 5500sqft homes cost ~1.1M to build. Newly completed homes (~2018-2020) are selling between 2.5-2.8M. Some builders are trying to presell homes for 3.0-3.5M now.
Not even in the redevelopment plan, just SFH lots in Central Coquitlam. One on Linton (a semi busy street) just sold for $1.4m. The new ones sold in the last 3 months in Central Coquitlam are still at $2.5m or under. The ones in Harbour Chinese are between $2.5m to $3m.

But yeah the ones listed now are asking between $2.3m and $3.5m, wonder if they will sell for that much
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:55 AM   #17960
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_driver View Post
Not even in the redevelopment plan, just SFH lots in Central Coquitlam. One on Linton (a semi busy street) just sold for $1.4m. The new ones sold in the last 3 months in Central Coquitlam are still at $2.5m or under. The ones in Harbour Chinese are between $2.5m to $3m.

But yeah the ones listed now are asking between $2.3m and $3.5m, wonder if they will sell for that much
I think the ones asking for 3.5m are a little bit out there but we're going to keep seeing homes in the 2.3-3m range sell fast.

1189 BRISBANE AVENUE blows my mind. I know it's Harbour Chines, and the math works out, but a developer paid 1.64M for this lot!
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:12 PM   #17961
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post

oh many i worked at steveson and 6th road like 7 years ago and i live 2 mins from coquitlam center. it was horrible then i can only image the horror show it is now.

a couple years ago i thought i was getting moved to a job in richmond, i started looking for a new job. no way i was driving out there again.

i lucked out and got a job site 10 mins from home so i didn't quit. changed companies last year and stayed within 10 mins (knew where i was going before i took the job) and hopefully in the area for a long time to come.
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:32 PM   #17962
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
When I was living in South PoCo and working at the shipyard in N. Van, I told my boss that I wouldn't start between 7-10am and wouldn't get off between 3-6pm - it just want worth it.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:13 PM   #17963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I think the ones asking for 3.5m are a little bit out there but we're going to keep seeing homes in the 2.3-3m range sell fast.

1189 BRISBANE AVENUE blows my mind. I know it's Harbour Chines, and the math works out, but a developer paid 1.64M for this lot!

No mortgage on the property so I guess the seller was able to afford to let it sit till they got the price they wanted
Old 03-28-2021, 09:03 AM   #17964
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,104 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
i work in surrey these days and i'm starting to get the urge to settle down there. i grew up in surrey and always wanted to get out of surrey, and moved to vancouver, richmond, new west, and coquitlam since. now even my 17m commute feels too long when you're at work 6-7 days a week. if i need to do small tasks at work on the weekend, it would be nice to just drive less than 10m to get there.

surrey also is a lot cheaper, you can get a 20yo TH for like 600-650k.. once you hop over to coquitlam i'm looking at like 800+ for the same thing (i dont even like coquitlam), and then i'm even further from work. the downside to that is that those surrey THs seem to appreciate really slowly compared to other cities, so as a primary residence but also an investment, i can't tell if it's just lagging behind or if it's stuck where it is due to location (that being said these same THs were prob like 400k 6-7 years ago).

now i value space, driving distance to work, and living around good ethnic grocery stores more than i value being close to my friends when they host gatherings. driving the extra 15m to make it to a friends house once every week or two seems like a sacrifice that makes sense to me.

the only neighbourhood that i prefer that's also maybe only 10-12m away is dt new west, but there are no affordable townhouses there that have garages. also i lived near the train before and i vowed not to ever again.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #17965
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Failed 335 Times in 77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_driver View Post
No mortgage on the property so I guess the seller was able to afford to let it sit till they got the price they wanted
If that's the case, they are letting it go too early. Coquitlam's Southwest Housing Review will mostly allow this area to be zoned RT-1 or RT-3 in about 2-3 years. Once zoning changes, that large lot will go for 2+ million easily.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:02 PM   #17966
RS controls my life!

Failed 22 Times in 9 Posts
Presales and market's been crazy!

Brentwood
Tailor sold out. $1000-1100/ft Brentwood by tracks
Alaska 1BR all gone - 2BR left 10% maybe
COL tower 2 80% sold
Jinju going fast - lower towers left on some public but stock's low maybe 20-30%. VIP rounds took alot

Metrotown
Concord Metro $1300-1400/ft sold 200+ units in March 2021. what bad markets?
Sussex seeing some even price units coming on for assignments - $550k 1BR. better deal than Concord Metro IMO...
BOSA Park Central House $1100/ft for near Central Park (patterson Skytrain) area, I think this is a better area IMO. Not being directly at Metro I'm ok with
Telford mostly sold out. $900-1.1M 3BR low floors and 2BR avail

Busy spring/summer ahead - hope no one's bidding up market too much, advice is to pace yourselves. Getting emotional during a bidding war is a surefire way to pay way too much.

Stay rational - job market's bad still (improving). Rest of Canada has NOT seen housing prices jump back up. BC/ON has been unique but long term fundamentals are still same - we are reliant on foreign immigration.

RBC has been warning of some overheated house/RE prices and I think that's fair.
Murmurs of capital gain tax on (gasp!) Primary Residence will HUGELY damper the market.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/capital-...-rbc-1.1581775
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2021, 01:20 PM   #17967
G
Banned (BBM)

Failed 86 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
If that's the case, they are letting it go too early. Coquitlam's Southwest Housing Review will mostly allow this area to be zoned RT-1 or RT-3 in about 2-3 years. Once zoning changes, that large lot will go for 2+ million easily.
My parents are choked, their street is literally one street behind the new Townhouse density zone
G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #17968
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,278 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 65 Times in 37 Posts
Is there a place to see current/proposed zoning changes?
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:55 PM   #17969
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Is there a place to see current/proposed zoning changes?
Most municipalities have their in-house maps that shows current zoning and land use designations.

Proposed zoning reviews and studies will be found in the Community/Neighborhood Planning section. e.g. https://vancouver.ca/people-programs...-planning.aspx
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2021, 07:49 PM   #17970

Tear down on E 49th asking $1,315,000 got 10 offers, 9 of them subject free :|

50 year old home in Central Coquitlam asking $1.3m received 8 offers, went $120k over asking subject free.

Can any revscene real estate experts predict when this madness will slow down?
Old 03-30-2021, 08:20 PM   #17971

^ well how else do we buy Tesla's and type rs
Old 03-30-2021, 09:00 PM   #17972
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
It will never slow down, if your hoping for a crash, it will never happen

And when the doomsayers say a "crash" is finally in progress, what they actually mean, is just be a 10% scale back, and the following year it will come right back up 20%

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2021, 09:51 PM   #17973

Look at supply, there's no supply. Look at the costs, cost to build has gone up like 30% on materials alone. Rates will be low for the next 2 years. What do you see that will cause a 20% drop?
Old 03-30-2021, 11:12 PM   #17974
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Look at supply, there's no supply. Look at the costs, cost to build has gone up like 30% on materials alone. Rates will be low for the next 2 years. What do you see that will cause a 20% drop?
You forgot to mention the money supply. Given the COVID debts that various countries are amassing, printing more money than ever to dig themselves out of debt seems like a certainty in the next few years. With Vancouver and Toronto, in particular, I'd also expect a flood of Hong Kongers returning to Canada, with July and Aug this year being the popular months. A lot of these people will have quite a bit of money, and there will obviously be a need for housing.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:17 AM   #17975
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Failed 335 Times in 77 Posts
Rich get richer, poor gets poorer.

The only way I see houses going down is if the government steps in and imposes price ceilings. But that's never gonna happen.

Last edited by bcedhk; 03-31-2021 at 09:30 AM.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote