REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:51 PM   #18201
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Roast puff, the opening id say yes depending on the structure, the weird island thing yes, you could probably pull that out on your own

The other thing looks like it may be a laminated post of multiple 2x8 etc. So that may be a point load which would require some engineering or may not be feasible. Just my 0.2 from quick glance at the pics
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2021, 10:20 PM   #18202
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
But it's not even close to the same quality or size.

There is like a 6 foot difference in width between the 2 pictures.
The brochure photos always show top floor units, with most expensive layouts, views, etc.
Then someone buys a 500sqft unit on the 4th floor, and complains that the balcony is 1/5th the size, the interior does not match the 1200sqft brochure photo, and for some reason there is no view. "never even looked at the prebuilt layout drawings for the specific unit"

If you think your getting whats in the brochure photos, you need a reality check

Camon, all of you eat mcdonalds, you know the photos never match the actual product
Like someone else said, those photos are just to shit on the developer

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-16-2021, 10:24 PM   #18203
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 36 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
The brochure photos always show top floor units, with most expensive layouts, views, etc.
Then someone buys a 500sqft unit on the 4th floor, and complains that the balcony is 1/5th the size, the interior does not match the 1200sqft brochure photo, and for some reason there is no view. "never even looked at the prebuilt layout drawings for the specific unit"
My impression was that the particular comparison being made was for the common area balcony (so a specific area). I.E. the marketing represented the common area balcony as being significantly bigger than what was delivered, which is a little different.

Not personally verified though, I don't have a copy of the original marketing material.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:38 PM   #18204
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,911 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Lol at looking at all that shit and defending the developer.
Yeah some of that marketing shit you can say, come on, you know thats not what you're getting, but we're talking about a place where people spent 2k/sq ft and have finishings that match a fuckin 1957 low rent apartment in the west end. The parkade looks like the whole thing is a garbage room. And you know, 7cm of standing water on your floor isn't ideal, on top of all that.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2021, 12:53 AM   #18205
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Roast puff, the opening id say yes depending on the structure, the weird island thing yes, you could probably pull that out on your own

The other thing looks like it may be a laminated post of multiple 2x8 etc. So that may be a point load which would require some engineering or may not be feasible. Just my 0.2 from quick glance at the pics
Yeah the half wall thing is probably the easiest, the other two things are what I'm more concerned about. Hence why I'm trying to find an engineer to come take a look.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:36 AM   #18206
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
One thing that I am not sure about is the ability to knock down some walls, and whether they are loadbearing or not.
From what I learned when I took out two walls, generally if there's nothing under it holding it up (if you have a basement or crawlspace under to check) or if there's nothing being held up above it (if you have an attic above it) then it's not load bearing. Also if it runs parallel to the joists above it shouldn't be load bearing so even if you don't have access a studfinder should help you out.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:54 AM   #18207
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
no way i was defending the crappy build, just thought comparing to rendered images was funny
like pre-rendered trailers vs actual gameplay
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:13 AM   #18208

The elevators were also likely destroyed by residents, not the construction company.

But yes finishing etc and some of the exterior stuff should be a concern.

Ironically never heard any quality complaints out of Trump tower
Old 04-17-2021, 09:16 AM   #18209
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
what a trash article from a trash website

final product looks different than concept/vision marketing material? no one promised you shit
There's nothing trash about the article. It's all fact based on owner experiences.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-17-2021, 09:40 AM   #18210
private modder

In no way would I ever defend WB. Those photos paint a terrible picture.

But some of the responsibility here also falls to the strata council. If the building has a good council, some of those issues would be fixed.

That being said, I can imagine being on the council of that building would be a full time job on its own. But councils are volunteers and it's hard to find people who can give the time unless they are retired. With the amount of renters in that building (assuming from all the offshore owners) and less retired people (I'm just guessing the building's age of resident skews young), finding council members willing to take on that task would be a big challenge.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:44 AM   #18211
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
So anyone know what would happen? Are the owners fucked? It seems like it's a building pipe that exploded and not like your toilet leaking or anything.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #18212
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,363 Times in 1,793 Posts
Failed 114 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
So anyone know what would happen? Are the owners fucked? It seems like it's a building pipe that exploded and not like your toilet leaking or anything.
Building insurance (via strata) should be covering it.

RIP the deductible and future cost for insurance though. Depending if the strata has enough of an emergency fund to cover the cost of the deductible, there may be a one-time special levy to cover the cost.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #18213
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,431 Times in 486 Posts
Failed 243 Times in 94 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys, so after a rollercoaster 2 weeks, I am the prospective owner of a townhouse near SFU Hills! The amount of relief I got from having my offer accepted is immeasurable.

However, before I move in, I would like to do some renovations - mainly kitchen and bathroom. One thing that I am not sure about is the ability to knock down some walls, and whether they are loadbearing or not. Would you guys have a recommendation for engineer or someone qualified that can figure out what I can remove or not?

See the circled areas in what I want to take down if possible.

Also this vent hood was a choice, geez.

https://latera.ca/ are reasonable priced.
Let them know what you want done and email them the pictures.
They'll send you a proposal and price break down.

But also contact your strata and see what their process is.
If it's simple as having a stamp from the engineer then it's not that bad, but if they're require permits then it gets expensive and might be a while before you get move in.
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #18214
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Bear in mind that in this Westbank situation, even if there is a good strata, there is a limit of how much they can do when the developer is uncooperative.

In a prevoius apartment, the HVAC in the common area was deemed to be defective due to installation errors, and it took the threat of a lawsuit before the developer took up responsibility for it. But even that took over a year to resolve. In another apartment that I first bought in pre-sale, the KONE elevators repeatedly failed, and despite the best efforts from the strata council, the developer and KONE were basically pointing fingers at each other for a very long time. A number of other issues with that building either turned into the developer denying responsibilities, dragging its feet on the repairs, or keep doing little but inadequate repairs or claiming that stuff is fixed when it isn't (because it will break down again quite soon after this "repair".)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
But some of the responsibility here also falls to the strata council. If the building has a good council, some of those issues would be fixed.

That being said, I can imagine being on the council of that building would be a full time job on its own. But councils are volunteers and it's hard to find people who can give the time unless they are retired. With the amount of renters in that building (assuming from all the offshore owners) and less retired people (I'm just guessing the building's age of resident skews young), finding council members willing to take on that task would be a big challenge.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:32 PM   #18215
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys, so after a rollercoaster 2 weeks, I am the prospective owner of a townhouse near SFU Hills! The amount of relief I got from having my offer accepted is immeasurable.

However, before I move in, I would like to do some renovations - mainly kitchen and bathroom. One thing that I am not sure about is the ability to knock down some walls, and whether they are loadbearing or not. Would you guys have a recommendation for engineer or someone qualified that can figure out what I can remove or not?

See the circled areas in what I want to take down if possible.

Also this vent hood was a choice, geez.

[img]... [/img]
Congratulations!

Is that glass thing a pocket door?
That island pony wall thing, any electrical outlets on the other side?
For the wall on the left, is there another angle to look at it?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2021, 09:07 PM   #18216
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Bear in mind that in this Westbank situation, even if there is a good strata, there is a limit of how much they can do when the developer is uncooperative.

In a previous apartment, the HVAC in the common area was deemed to be defective due to installation errors, and it took the threat of a lawsuit before the developer took up responsibility for it. But even that took over a year to resolve. In another apartment that I first bought in pre-sale, the KONE elevators repeatedly failed, and despite the best efforts from the strata council, the developer and KONE were basically pointing fingers at each other for a very long time. A number of other issues with that building either turned into the developer denying responsibilities, dragging its feet on the repairs, or keep doing little but inadequate repairs or claiming that stuff is fixed when it isn't (because it will break down again quite soon after this "repair".)
I agree, when it comes to construction deficiencies, there may not be much the council can do if the developer isn't playing ball.

I was thinking more like the poor garbage rooms, the sad looking library, or the concierge not having space for packages. Sure, the developer designs and builds the garbage room, but it's up to the Council to make it function to a level the residents are happy with, including signage, organization, cleanliness, etc.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:29 PM   #18217
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Congratulations!

Is that glass thing a pocket door?
That island pony wall thing, any electrical outlets on the other side?
For the wall on the left, is there another angle to look at it?
The glass (plastic) thing is 3 sliding doors, which feel extremely cheap and flimsy. There's three staggered tracks on the top and bottom.

The island knee wall thingy, no electrical but it has an air return register.

The wood wall on the left, I forgot to take some better pictures of it. Will try to do so at the house inspection which is scheduled for Tuesday.

Some pics from the listing:

roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:23 AM   #18218

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
The glass (plastic) thing is 3 sliding doors, which feel extremely cheap and flimsy. There's three staggered tracks on the top and bottom.

The island knee wall thingy, no electrical but it has an air return register.

The wood wall on the left, I forgot to take some better pictures of it. Will try to do so at the house inspection which is scheduled for Tuesday.

Some pics from the listing:

[IMG]... [/IMG]
[IMG]... [/IMG]
I'm only YouTube certified..... But, I'm going to guess that the plastic door is completely removable without issues, just need to refinish it with some drywall and maybe do something with the floor if there is a track there too.
For the pony wall, the return will cause a problem because it needs to go somewhere.... Will probably know all the options after opening the wall up, such as, can the ducting be cut back and the return stops on an adjacent wall, or does it go directly into the floor, which means you put the return on the floor and you step on it every time you walk by? My guess is it's directly into the floor and that's why they built that wall up.

Some of my current reno's have been a headache due to the things I find after opening the walls.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:07 AM   #18219
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,142 Posts
Failed 1,392 Times in 247 Posts
Vancouver House giving me some serious The Raid feels

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #18220
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Vancouver House sh*t show ... damn, price of condo does not mean quality! Some residents will have to move out for months. Elevator not working past 30th floor ... so you walk it?

Severe flood damages nine floors of condos at Vancouver House (PHOTOS, VIDEOS)
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...looding-damage

Last edited by whitev70r; 04-18-2021 at 06:56 PM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2021, 12:33 PM   #18221
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Vancouver House sh*t show ... damn, price of condo does not mean quality! Some residents will have to move out for months. Elevator not working past 30th floor ... so you walk it?

https://twitter.com/iamkennethchan/s...26366410117120

https://twitter.com/iamkennethchan/s...26366410117120
Looks like my bathroom/bedroom last month when my toilet feed blew.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:44 PM   #18222
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
What's baffling is why Canadian condos bathrooms don't have drains on the floor.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:55 PM   #18223
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
^ cuz drains stink when they get older and nobody hoses down their bathrooms here haha
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2021, 04:14 PM   #18224

When you spend 1.5 mill on a condo you don’t want a drain in the middle of the floor like some Shanghai slum

You’d expect you wouldn’t need it.. lol
Old 04-18-2021, 04:28 PM   #18225

Thanked 1,657 Times in 573 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
What's baffling is why Canadian condos bathrooms don't have drains on the floor.
As good as this would be for insurance, floor drains are a great place to be infested by drain flies, fruit flies, and silverfish. The things I've seen in older buildings...
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: