REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:14 PM   #19026
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Well, a week after I asked this question I bought this place (subjects are still on it). The place turned out to check nearly every box my wife and I had AND it exceeded on a few things so rather than build a place (which we were wanting to do earlier in the year) or keep up our demoralising hunt we bought this. It's a 10 min walk to my daughter's daycare, elementary and high school and still close enough for my parents and in-laws to come over (and eventually live with us).

Fun fact: The microwave that it comes with costs ($1800) more than the fridge I currently own.

https://www.rew.ca/properties/347394...nue-burnaby-bc
So who is sending supa famous, supa spam mail after he moves in?
Advertisement

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2021, 09:15 PM   #19027
I STILL don't get it

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
They’re just tearing down any 2 million dollar houses to put up 9 1.5 million dollar townhouses anyways.
#housingcrisissolved
That's exactly what's happening on the other side of the elementary school in east van. There are so many 8-12 unit townhouses built on top of 2 SFH lots. There is no parking for these units so I think it just becomes a street parking free-for-all
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:57 AM   #19028
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_driver View Post
Planning to sell the place in a couple years. If the market is slow at that time, buyers will probably use the no permit excuse as a reason to knock down the price
I'm not trying to be facetious but when has the real estate market in Vancouver ever slowed down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:01 AM   #19029
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I'm not trying to be facetious but when has the real estate market in Vancouver ever slowed down?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:05 AM   #19030
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:12 AM   #19031
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Do reno permits for detached homes increase property taxes too?

I saw a listing in Port Moody where their 2020 property tax was like $4.5k but the 2021 was like $9k! What could cause such a drastic increase?
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:24 AM   #19032

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Not the permits, but renovations themselves. Taxes are based on your assessed value. Tax calculates based on price compared to other comparable units.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:59 AM   #19033

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Not the permits, but renovations themselves. Taxes are based on your assessed value. Tax calculates based on price compared to other comparable units.
Right thats what I meant, getting the permits for renos would register them to the property and jack up assessed value/taxes.

Another reason better off not permitting internal renos I guess.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:18 AM   #19034
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Well, a week after I asked this question I bought this place (subjects are still on it). The place turned out to check nearly every box my wife and I had AND it exceeded on a few things so rather than build a place (which we were wanting to do earlier in the year) or keep up our demoralising hunt we bought this. It's a 10 min walk to my daughter's daycare, elementary and high school and still close enough for my parents and in-laws to come over (and eventually live with us).

Fun fact: The microwave that it comes with costs ($1800) more than the fridge I currently own.

https://www.rew.ca/properties/347394...nue-burnaby-bc
Revscene 200k+ income and that's it?!?

Jk congratulations!

There's another person from RS that bought a house maybe 1-2 years ago between your place and Boundary.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2021, 09:27 AM   #19035

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
I'm just curious do you guys realistically think prices will keep going up? Detached in East Van hit 3 million? In like next 10 15 years? I don't see Vancouver being a global hub like HK, NY to support it.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-11-2021, 09:39 AM   #19036

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Right thats what I meant, getting the permits for renos would register them to the property and jack up assessed value/taxes.

Another reason better off not permitting internal renos I guess.
I think trying to avoid paying higher annual taxes is pretty silly when most people use “assessed value” when purchasing a house. Unless your plan on living their
Your entire life, I’d pay as much tax as I can! Lol
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2021, 09:43 AM   #19037
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I'm just curious do you guys realistically think prices will keep going up? Detached in East Van hit 3 million? In like next 10 15 years? I don't see Vancouver being a global hub like HK, NY to support it.
When everywhere else is burning Vancouver is going to look pretty good.

As populations surge and with a wake up call like covid who wants to live in NY or HK? Let alone HK’s political climate, it’s fallen wayyyy off desirable. Vancouver will never enact policies to vastly overhaul their density issues. Supply and demand in one of the most desirable places on the planet with clean air, water, top tier western amenities.

The last few years have made me personally re-asses my long term goals with acquiring more property top of mind.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:43 AM   #19038

Quote:
Until interest rates start going up, it’s a no brainer investment for most.

Purchase home. Wait - few years. Value is now 20% higher. Bank qualifies you for HELOC for now higher value of home. Use said extra money for new DP on new property. Pushing prices even high. Rinse and repeat.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #19039
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
I have no idea how it got to this point as you said there’s not the money to be made here to support it, but as long as people come here in droves with money made from other places, and with the ease of remote work becoming more and more, it will attract people from all over the world. Vancouver is relatively small compared to the amount of rich people in the world so as long as the money can come from somewhere else it seems it will continue. Not to mention people are becoming conditioned to the idea of 50% of their income going to housing costs.
It should stop, but it might not. People are being allowed to borrow too much.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:16 AM   #19040
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Who knows how high it will go. We're almost at 2M for a Vancouver special in original condition on a standard lot, and that seemed unfathomable a few years ago. But on a global level, interest rates are driving people to borrow and invest in assets, driving the price of assets up and this should continue until interest rates go significantly up (something I can't see in the short term). Vancouver is a global hub in its own right. And as long as it's desirable (due to our climate, lack of government regulations/intervention, relaxed laid back reputation, beauty, etc), money from around the world will continue to arrive unless it is stopped (which is also something I can't see happening).
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2021, 10:21 AM   #19041

Here's a summary I found on reddit about our global wealth situation.

"There are parts of the world that even with infinite money you can’t buy.

Fortunately in Vancouver you just need 5-10 million or so which is far from infinite.

As follows:

Political stability (~middle eastern oil barons~ our Persian friends looking at you!)

Fearful of Chinese ? (Well come on over HKers we had homes ready for u since 1997!)

Fearful of Chinese takeover? (We got one for you too Tw! Mmmm Fraser heights is good, or try Burnaby or Richmond even!).

Israeli family who don’t want to family to be in war zone? We’ll come on over ! We got Jewish community centres at Oakridge lots of room.

Geopolitically distant from war zones. (My Russian oligarchs hello sir does your son want a home here?)

Far from potential nuclear threats “deterrence” (Kim Jong… , come my fellow Koreans! We have loughheed, guildford & Coquitlam. Options to choose from!)

My fellow south Asians. (0.1% of Indian is heck of a lot of friends. Come we have Indian food, Indian politicians, and a whole city just for you! Winking Face)

How can I forget about the Chinese, (Heck one of our biggest Chains is T&T, we 0.1% of a billion is ~ btw I hear you only get 99 year leases in China, how would you like FREEHOLD!)

Chinese facing persecution? Would you like to practice yoga without worry of your organs being yoinked? Welcome welcome!

How can I forget about our rich southern pals. 2-3 of our biggest developers are American! Come on over~ tax treaties right up your ally, make those US bucks & US salaries and spend on our economy housing. Or just work in America and send your family over ! Dw we won’t go after you for Canadian “ tax residency “brackets wink wink.

Might I add I don’t think there are many western cities in The world where you can speak: Korean, Chinese, Punjabi, Hindi, and not have to learn fluent English to enjoy daily life ! We won’t force you to learn it if you don’t want to!"
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-11-2021, 12:38 PM   #19042

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Yea cuz I think this will create a new gen of old money rich from parents owning land. As the current prices already realistically can't be supported by income. Most young people can't even afford the mortgage for a 1 bed, at $600k if you have 20% down. Same with rentals, there's no way you will break even with the rent collected. Unless rent goes up like 20 30%.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:38 PM   #19043

Quote:
Yea cuz I think this will create a new gen of old money rich from parents owning land. As the current prices already realistically can't be supported by income. Most young people can't even afford the mortgage for a 1 bed, at $600k if you have 20% down. Same with rentals, there's no way you will break even with the rent collected. Unless rent goes up like 20 30%.
I've said this before but this really is nothing new.

There's something to be said about consumerism/individualism replacing the concept of generational wealth for modern middle-class North American (primarily) families. Many of the wealthiest families around the world grew their fortunes over multiple generations (including the wealthiest families in North America). Yet, most modern middle-class North American families are consumed with spending their wealth during their lifetimes while the upper/elite class (and other cultures) continue to accumulate for the next generation.

I feel bad for the families where every new generation has to start from scratch. Whatever wealth one accumulates in their lifetime is theirs to spend/consume, and theirs only. The next generation is completely on their own, and they should consider themselves fortunate if anything is left behind. They can't possibly compete vs. a family that passes wealth down from one generation to another. All it takes is 1 or 2 generations and the gap becomes almost insurmountable...

We learn about compound interest in school, and how one should invest as early as possible to maximize the effects of compound interest. Now imagine if you extend the compound interest term past our own retirement years, to 60, or even 90 years? The results are shocking.

Last edited by Alpine; 08-11-2021 at 02:52 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2021, 02:47 PM   #19044

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Short of massive rezoning that allows significantly more density (especially duplexes, quadplexes, and townhouses) to be built across the entire lower mainland plus higher interest rates I don't see this ever coming down.

You might see small drop here and there but the trend line will always be up as there's simply not enough housing of the type that people want right now. It's either a detached home of which the supply is actually shrinking or condos. Once you outgrow a condo you're forced to find every penny you have to get into bidding wars and the losers then either move further out or live in undersized homes.

(Me, I'm a super lucky a-hole. I'm fucking Forrest Gump. I don't know how I ended up in my situation.)

Last edited by supafamous; 08-11-2021 at 03:25 PM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2021, 03:21 PM   #19045

Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Take this with a grain of salt, as I don't believe the numbers either, but there's probably at least some truth in it.

My parents are in the restaurant industry. She was telling me I don't actually make that much (Asian parents lol, you aren't good enough!) and with the long hours they work + tips, a lot of people break 100k take home easily. Keep in mind take home != actually taxed income because tips are a lot of time cash.

She told me her friend was taking home 7k a month but chose to spend it all on frivolous stuff instead of putting the money towards a home, and they have no retirement plans and no plans to help their son who is just entering post secondary. The 7k is the mom's single income and the husband has another income as well and with both of them in the restaurant industry, even fudging the numbers a bit, I would say they can bring home 10k a month.

10k a month dual income, if taxed properly, is ~160k income a month(spitballing, not even napkin math). So that means there are lots of "high earning" and hidden households out there that can 100% afford that 800k 2bdrm and choose not to. It's not even foreign money, just untracked income.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:01 PM   #19046
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
I always thought all of my friends families owned their house, what I've found out is that a few of the people I know, their parents are renting and they have always been renting.

I was so shocked by this, it's crazy to think they had the biggest opportunity to buy a house for $150k, and they decided not to.

These families will never catch up.

My stretch goal is to buy two condo's that I can pass down to my children. I feel like I need to do this, otherwise they will not have the opportunity. I've talked to a few people that asked me why I feel like I need to do this. I guess it's just a cultural thing or the way my mind is set.

I know if I don't start saving and investing right now, my future generations are screwed.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:19 PM   #19047
in the butt

3 mil vancouver specials by 2026, 5 mil by 2040

Quote:
Most young people can't even afford the mortgage for a 1 bed, at $600k if you have 20% down. Same with rentals, there's no way you will break even with the rent collected. Unless rent goes up like 20 30%.
People set their standards too high

yaaaaaa i dont want to live in a 40 year old building, i want a 2 bedroom brand new 20th floor in coal harbour, so im gonna wait till prices drop

If your in your 20s, or even 30s, and all you can afford is a 400k 1 bed dump, then thats what you need to buy.

Dont like it? Go move to saskatchewan, or any 2nd tier US city where you can buy a new house for 250k

Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

Last edited by donk.; 08-11-2021 at 04:27 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2021, 05:01 PM   #19048

Thanked 1,657 Times in 573 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Here's a summary I found on reddit about our global wealth situation.

"There are parts of the world that even with infinite money you can’t buy.

Fortunately in Vancouver you just need 5-10 million or so which is far from infinite.

As follows:

Political stability (~middle eastern oil barons~ our Persian friends looking at you!)

Fearful of Chinese ? (Well come on over HKers we had homes ready for u since 1997!)

Fearful of Chinese takeover? (We got one for you too Tw! Mmmm Fraser heights is good, or try Burnaby or Richmond even!).

Israeli family who don’t want to family to be in war zone? We’ll come on over ! We got Jewish community centres at Oakridge lots of room.

Geopolitically distant from war zones. (My Russian oligarchs hello sir does your son want a home here?)

Far from potential nuclear threats “deterrence” (Kim Jong… , come my fellow Koreans! We have loughheed, guildford & Coquitlam. Options to choose from!)

My fellow south Asians. (0.1% of Indian is heck of a lot of friends. Come we have Indian food, Indian politicians, and a whole city just for you! Winking Face)

How can I forget about the Chinese, (Heck one of our biggest Chains is T&T, we 0.1% of a billion is ~ btw I hear you only get 99 year leases in China, how would you like FREEHOLD!)

Chinese facing persecution? Would you like to practice yoga without worry of your organs being yoinked? Welcome welcome!

How can I forget about our rich southern pals. 2-3 of our biggest developers are American! Come on over~ tax treaties right up your ally, make those US bucks & US salaries and spend on our economy housing. Or just work in America and send your family over ! Dw we won’t go after you for Canadian “ tax residency “brackets wink wink.

Might I add I don’t think there are many western cities in The world where you can speak: Korean, Chinese, Punjabi, Hindi, and not have to learn fluent English to enjoy daily life ! We won’t force you to learn it if you don’t want to!"
Some guy on reddit posts on every real estate thread that more supply is needed to help cool down prices.

I call BS, what will more supply mean? It means the rich will still continue to outbid the regular folk for these new properties, trade it other incoming "investors" for profit, and continue charging us rent to pay for the mortgages they don't even need.

Some people don't understand how much money some of these people have. They possess more capital and power than the top 10 bidders of every sale property in Vancouver combined.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:30 PM   #19049
in the butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
Some guy on reddit posts on every real estate thread that more supply is needed to help cool down prices.
Reddit is a circle jerk of 18-24 year old males living in their moms basements

More supply = less building materials = new home prices ^ = old home prices ^

Old 08-11-2021, 05:38 PM   #19050

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post

I call BS, what will more supply mean? It means the rich will still continue to outbid the regular folk for these new properties, trade it other incoming "investors" for profit, and continue charging us rent to pay for the mortgages they don't even need.

Some people don't understand how much money some of these people have. They possess more capital and power than the top 10 bidders of every sale property in Vancouver combined.
Yes, the only thing that can stop the market is demand side measures. But those are not coming in the foreseeable future. Short of severe demand side measures, the rich will always continue to outbid regular folk. Demand stays the same, but we have even less supply. Prices increase at an even faster pace.