REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-13-2022, 11:20 PM   #20726
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
^ looks like someone took out the one bedroom wall but left the door?
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:38 AM   #20727
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
I think it's just a living room basement, that's what my in-laws place looks like. It's a two bedroom suite with a living room almost exactly like that.

It's crazy to think how expensive housing and the rental market is and yet people are still coming here. I guess the opportunity of living in BC is still quite desirable. I guess Vancouver is somewhat like New York. When is see the rents in New York and what you get, it blows my mind.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:42 AM   #20728
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Hey, for those who have a rental suite.

Would you prefer to rent it out to a long term renter or do airbnb?

let's say $1,800/month (long term) for rent versus $2,500-$3,000 (airbnb)

My wife thinks the $1,800 long term tenant is better because it's less turnover in the suite, it's less work, and she doesn't want so many people coming in and out of the house.

I'm thinking having airbnb would be more flexible and significantly more money. Just wondering how many would just do the airbnb strictly for the money?

Furnishing the suite would probably cost around $2,000 for the way I would want to do it.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:59 AM   #20729
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
I would say base it off what you're comfortable with and what you can manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I think it's just a living room basement, that's what my in-laws place looks like. It's a two bedroom suite with a living room almost exactly like that.

It's crazy to think how expensive housing and the rental market is and yet people are still coming here. I guess the opportunity of living in BC is still quite desirable. I guess Vancouver is somewhat like New York. When is see the rents in New York and what you get, it blows my mind.
Where else would you live in Canada?. Vancouver is very attractive to multiculturalism. Unless you're white the rest of Canada isn't quite attractive. Sure we can lump in the province as a whole but most people coming here come for Vancouver.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:01 AM   #20730
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Try airbnb for a month first. It easier than trying the long term rental first.
I’m betting though that you will not see the revenue you might think from Airbnb. I don’t know why anyone coming to vancouver would want to stay in someone’s basement over a hotel. The fees and shit eat up any of the savings then I’m expected to clean up after myself? Fuck that shit.
If your location is amazing or the home has some sort of significance I’d feel differently, but hotels just provide such a better experience in big city situations.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2022, 09:10 AM   #20731

Wasn't airbnb originally meant to give visitors "local" feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Try airbnb for a month first. It easier than trying the long term rental first.
I’m betting though that you will not see the revenue you might think from Airbnb. I don’t know why anyone coming to vancouver would want to stay in someone’s basement over a hotel. The fees and shit eat up any of the savings then I’m expected to clean up after myself? Fuck that shit.
If your location is amazing or the home has some sort of significance I’d feel differently, but hotels just provide such a better experience in big city situations.
Some forecasting

https://betterdwelling.com/canadas-s...le-desjardins/
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2022, 09:31 AM   #20732
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:

My wife thinks the $1,800 long term tenant is better because it's less turnover in the suite, it's less work, and she doesn't want so many people coming in and out of the house.

I'm thinking having airbnb would be more flexible and significantly more money. Just wondering how many would just do the airbnb strictly for the money?

Furnishing the suite would probably cost around $2,000 for the way I would want to do it.
I suspect you may be over estimating how much you can get from AirBnB unless you're located in a great spot or your suite is really nice. In addition there's additional costs unless you plan on cleaning it and managing it entirely yourself (non-trivial). I have a friend with a condo downtown which is managed by a company for him as a short term rental and it makes only slightly more than what rent would bring in. Of course he has cleaners and the management company takes a cut but he's in prime real estate (near Yaletown) - he'd make good money if he ran it himself but it's not worth the hassle (and he's in Australia right now).

I looked into it for my suites and can't make it worth my while - if you assume a 75% occupancy rate you're only making slightly more money.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2022, 09:45 AM   #20733
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:

You and your wife have two different opinions it seems?. She's more on the conservative approach (rather get less $ with less hassle, and you don't mind the work as long as it yields the $$$$). Either way, no right or wrong as there are pros and cons to both. Too many variables comes into play with airbnb. My fiance used to run airbnb, she was able to replace her entire working income when she did it, but it was just tiring as you had to do every single damn thing yourself to maximize the money staying in your pocket. And yeah as some mentioned, gotta pick up others crap and deal with cleaning etc, unless your willing to drop $$ for a cleaner.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:55 AM   #20734

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
I don't see why there is so much doom with the rates rising. Let's say var is 1.5% right now, even if it doubles it will only be at 3%. Everyone who bought a house was already qualified at 5.25% stress test rate. So unless you lost your income it shouldn't affect you much. Even at max borrowing. Yes cost will go up for sure, but on paper you should be able to afford it with the same income. And your property has gone up like 10-30% in value, so even if you had to sell you're still ahead. ??? Profit
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2022, 10:14 AM   #20735

Paying more money a month for an imaginary profit I can’t receive doesn’t seem like a sweet trade off but ok.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2022, 10:19 AM   #20736

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
So you're telling me if there was truckers lock down tomorrow and shit hit the fan and you have to fire sell your house tomorrow that you would be underwater and can't afford the m3 anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Paying more money a month for an imaginary profit I can’t receive doesn’t seem like a sweet trade off but ok.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2022, 12:07 PM   #20737

Yeah cause not liking paying more money per month is the same as being on the brink of bankruptcy.
The other thing is just because I’m not leveraged to the teeth doesn’t mean I’m too stupid to think others aren’t.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2022, 12:29 PM   #20738
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
I was just looking over my mortgage for the year. I’m paying all of $600 a month in interest. The rest is equity. Would be shitty to double that lol. For now that’s cheap livin’.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:35 PM   #20739
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I was just looking over my mortgage for the year. I’m paying all of $600 a month in interest. The rest is equity. Would be shitty to double that lol. For now that’s cheap livin’.
Imagine if you were renting.
How much would you think you would be paying per month for your place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 12:50 PM   #20740
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Way more. That’s why I bought something. Lol
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2022, 01:01 PM   #20741
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I don't see why there is so much doom with the rates rising. Let's say var is 1.5% right now, even if it doubles it will only be at 3%. Everyone who bought a house was already qualified at 5.25% stress test rate. So unless you lost your income it shouldn't affect you much. Even at max borrowing. Yes cost will go up for sure, but on paper you should be able to afford it with the same income. And your property has gone up like 10-30% in value, so even if you had to sell you're still ahead. ??? Profit
I think at 10% gains, you're break-even with closing costs x 2, GST or LTT paid + Realtor fees to sell. But who said you always had to profit with real estate

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:28 PM   #20742
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Well in the short term it's NBD but the impact of an increase is a big deal long term.

If you have a 1.2% mortgage now that's over 25 years an increase to 2.3% would add 5 years to your mortgage if you keep the payments the same. That's a 20% increase in the size of your mortgage! Or when the renewal hits and you're going to down to 20 years the bank tells you your payment has gone up 10% or more (depends on your pay down etc).

Anyone who takes a variable rate mortgage should generally be paying it down as though they are on a higher fixed mortgage to protect against that happening. An extra couple hundred bucks a month might be the difference between retirement time or getting hit hard during renewals (or losing your home cause you can't afford it anymore).
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2022, 02:33 PM   #20743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
But who said you always had to profit with real estate
Clearly not anyone around here
Old 02-14-2022, 02:50 PM   #20744

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Clearly not anyone around here
No sir, not me. I'm expecting my 20 year old 1BR to hit 1Mill, by 2025.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 02-14-2022, 02:56 PM   #20745
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
What would you do if it did?

Just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2022, 03:22 PM   #20746

By then a SFH teardown would cost 5mil
Old 02-14-2022, 04:21 PM   #20747

Quote:
1901 -2085 skyline crt.

List 698k
Sold 810k

Only 190k away

https://www.fisherly.com/a/billdrits...-skyline-court
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2022, 11:02 PM   #20748

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
What would you do if it did?

Just curious.
Sell and move to Calgary assuming the equity available could still get me a decent house + 2 car garage. I'll fly back to Vancouver during the summer or whenever I feel like it.

Alternatively, I've channeled most of my focus towards saving/investing $1,250,000 in investable assets asap and retire early off the investment income of $50,000/year + inflation. Rather retire early at the moment than grinding harder to upgrade a 1BR into a 2BR / TH.

I don't think I'm motivated enough to grind harder to buy a $1,000,000+ place anymore. Pretty burnt out and have accepted that living in a smaller place closer to city is the new reality.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 02-14-2022, 11:04 PM   #20749

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
1901 -2085 skyline crt.

List 698k
Sold 810k

Only 190k away

https://www.fisherly.com/a/billdrits...-skyline-court
My place is 17 years old, so if it gets close to $1mil, idk what to say lol.

A part of me feels like there'd be civil unrest if that happens.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 02-14-2022, 11:07 PM   #20750
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Depends what money is worth at the time... inflation wise... for sure they will be a million one day but maybe a combination of crazy market and inflation makes it so.

I have a pretty decent mind to sell out here and move to the UK if for no other reason than it makes all of europe accessible to explore on a whim and there's tonnes of race tracks and car events/culture to go to... and could buy a pretty big property somewhere nice and peaceful rather than sitting in a $600,000 1 bedroom place listening to my upstairs neighbours hack meat on a marble cutting board for half an hour every night and be told it's not complainable because it's considered food preparation.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote