REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-14-2022, 11:20 PM   #20751
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
I thought the UK had crazy house prices as well?
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:40 AM   #20752
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
My place is 17 years old, so if it gets close to $1mil, idk what to say lol.

A part of me feels like there'd be civil unrest if that happens.
Then YVR would hit like HK prices about 10 yrs ago, $1M small flats. People somehow find a way to 'live'.

@Skinnypupp, what is the avg price of a 1 bedroom flat in HK now?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:05 AM   #20753
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I thought the UK had crazy house prices as well?
In London and some rich people suburbs yah... everything else is super reasonable if not bargain basement but it's starting to go up there too. It's more an option for me because I have ancestral citizenship rights there.

I mean the funny thing with those places is that because the country is so small, people living there (I have relatives there) will bitch and moan about a 45 minute drive from somewhere into town like it's an expedition of untold length and difficulty and you can drive across the entire country quite easily in 4-5 hours... but that's just a normal commute for us and you can barely get to Kelowna in 4-5 hours lol.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2022, 10:33 AM   #20754
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
I'm curious what rent prices could look like if $1M small flats becomes the norm here.

Would there be government intervention at that point? Or would the have nots be expected to migrate to smaller cities.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2022, 11:27 AM   #20755
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,657 Times in 573 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
In London and some rich people suburbs yah... everything else is super reasonable if not bargain basement but it's starting to go up there too. It's more an option for me because I have ancestral citizenship rights there.

I mean the funny thing with those places is that because the country is so small, people living there (I have relatives there) will bitch and moan about a 45 minute drive from somewhere into town like it's an expedition of untold length and difficulty and you can drive across the entire country quite easily in 4-5 hours... but that's just a normal commute for us and you can barely get to Kelowna in 4-5 hours lol.
Lol, 45 minutes. Vancouver is 45 minutes from Vancouver somedays.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2022, 11:31 AM   #20756
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
Lol, 45 minutes. Vancouver is 45 minutes from Vancouver somedays.
*GTA enters chat*
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-15-2022, 12:16 PM   #20757
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
I'm curious what rent prices could look like if $1M small flats becomes the norm here.

Would there be government intervention at that point? Or would the have nots be expected to migrate to smaller cities.
This is a real discussion that will have to be had.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #20758

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Depends what money is worth at the time... inflation wise... for sure they will be a million one day but maybe a combination of crazy market and inflation makes it so.

I have a pretty decent mind to sell out here and move to the UK if for no other reason than it makes all of europe accessible to explore on a whim and there's tonnes of race tracks and car events/culture to go to... and could buy a pretty big property somewhere nice and peaceful rather than sitting in a $600,000 1 bedroom place listening to my upstairs neighbours hack meat on a marble cutting board for half an hour every night and be told it's not complainable because it's considered food preparation.
I considered making a similar change, ancestry citizenship through Ireland.

Problem is, if you're moving due to the weather in Canada (looking for something warmer) you're in a worse spot in the UK

Vancouver is like Hawaii compared to over there.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:22 PM   #20759
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
*GTA enters chat*
+1

STFU TOS'd!
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-15-2022, 12:23 PM   #20760
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:

There's no different between a 1million 500sqft condo in Coquitlam in the year 2025 VS a 60k 500sqft condo in Coquitlam in the year 1960.

60k for a condo in 1960 was outrageous
1mil for a condo in 2025 will be outrageous

Everything goes up in price, I don't think it matters what the price is, what matters is how many people can't afford to buy what they want

Unaffordability has been around since the dawn of time, regardless of it being a car, house, eating a bowl of 18$ noodles, whatever

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:17 PM   #20761
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
A 4 bedroom house in Dunbar in 1960 was 14k. So yeah a 60k condo in Coquitlam would have been crazy, but it was probably about $2500
A years average wage (or substantially less) could get you a 1 bedroom condo then. Now it’s 10 years, so there’s really no comparison of what qualifies as unaffordable.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2022, 01:24 PM   #20762
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:

I've looked into it too haha. The cost of living in the UK is quite high in a lot of areas. $2.75/L for gas. Inflation is 5% this year! Avg monthly electricity and gas is $200 CAD per month. But if you are saving a ton on the housing purchase to begin with, then you're probably still a lot further ahead compared to here.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2022, 01:25 PM   #20763
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Depends what money is worth at the time... inflation wise... for sure they will be a million one day but maybe a combination of crazy market and inflation makes it so.

I have a pretty decent mind to sell out here and move to the UK if for no other reason than it makes all of europe accessible to explore on a whim and there's tonnes of race tracks and car events/culture to go to... and could buy a pretty big property somewhere nice and peaceful rather than sitting in a $600,000 1 bedroom place listening to my upstairs neighbours hack meat on a marble cutting board for half an hour every night and be told it's not complainable because it's considered food preparation.
Tell your strata that's BS. Nuisance bylaw doesn't exclude specific activities. Nuisance is nuisance.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-15-2022, 01:55 PM   #20764

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Any thoughts on what's going on with rent? Rent prices have increased no where near the asset price increase.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2022, 02:38 PM   #20765
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Renters don’t buy cuz they don’t have enough money (usually — sometimes it’s a personal choice) so there’s a limit to what they can afford before buying is the only thing that makes sense.

Owners would have to weigh the value of the rent vs paying empty home tax I guess.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:17 PM   #20766
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Any thoughts on what's going on with rent? Rent prices have increased no where near the asset price increase.
I would disagree,
I just got new tenants in for my Port Moody place, 300$ increase from previous tenants (1900$/mo) that were there for 1.5years for a 1bed+den.
That's a 15% increase.
Keeping in mind, real estate gains will always exceed rent increases. (In tier A cities, and especially SFH)

They told me, they are getting "kicked out" of their Brentwood 2bed unit, because the owner is "moving back in" but will most likely re rent it at a higher rate. They stated rents are up 700$ compared to last year for their unit.

There are some areas for sure that are idle in price, or minimal change, I guess there's too many factors to look into.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2022, 03:28 PM   #20767
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Renters don’t buy cuz they don’t have enough money (usually — sometimes it’s a personal choice) so there’s a limit to what they can afford before buying is the only thing that makes sense.

Owners would have to weigh the value of the rent vs paying empty home tax I guess.
lol i remember back in the day in the early pages of this thread, when rents did not catch up to housing prices, the whole strategy of "rent and invest the difference" that was preached on by 4444 (and myself included).

Nowadays rent prices are as ridiculous as housing prices, so it's all fucked.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2022, 06:27 PM   #20768
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 36 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Some personal experience with this... when I was last in the UK we planned to spend a few days in Edinburgh and when we told people in London that we were driving up in 1 shot (no overnights) they kept commiserating that it was such a long drive...

Not the reaction we were expecting since we'd done Vancouver - San Francisco in straight shots several times.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:29 PM   #20769
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 36 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
I've looked into it too haha. The cost of living in the UK is quite high in a lot of areas. $2.75/L for gas. Inflation is 5% this year! Avg monthly electricity and gas is $200 CAD per month. But if you are saving a ton on the housing purchase to begin with, then you're probably still a lot further ahead compared to here.
I have some friends that moved to London (HCOL) pre-pandemic and they definitely find some things more expensive, but other things cheaper. E.g. between having actual grocery competition, they find their grocery costs lower. Also in their areas of work (business administration/management) they get paid comparatively higher than they had in Vancouver.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:47 PM   #20770
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post
Some personal experience with this... when I was last in the UK we planned to spend a few days in Edinburgh and when we told people in London that we were driving up in 1 shot (no overnights) they kept commiserating that it was such a long drive...

Not the reaction we were expecting since we'd done Vancouver - San Francisco in straight shots several times.
I posted on a trip advisor forum asking for advice driving from Dublin to Dingle in Ireland, it’s across Ireland but only a 5 or so hour drive. I had people jumping all over me saying shit like “if you’re gonna try somthing like that I wouldn’t even bother coming!!!” Lol

I just drove 950kms on Friday like nothing
Old 02-15-2022, 09:12 PM   #20771
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I've got the same, if I was single I might consider it for a bit but I think I'd go insane having no real access to the outdoors.

Quote:
I always got a kick out of watching people on Top Gear panic about "long" journeys. I know tons of people (myself included) who have bombed to Vancouver and back in the same day just to buy a car or go to a track day or hit Ikea. Hell even as a kid my family used to go from Penticton to Prince George (9 hrs) just for my cousins high school graduations
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2022, 08:26 AM   #20772
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
There's no different between a 1million 500sqft condo in Coquitlam in the year 2025 VS a 60k 500sqft condo in Coquitlam in the year 1960.

60k for a condo in 1960 was outrageous
1mil for a condo in 2025 will be outrageous

Everything goes up in price, I don't think it matters what the price is, what matters is how many people can't afford to buy what they want

Unaffordability has been around since the dawn of time, regardless of it being a car, house, eating a bowl of 18$ noodles, whatever
In the 1990's houses were $300 - 400K.

My current role in accounting & finance paid about $50 - 90K in the 1990's according to google after 5+ years of experience. That was around 8x the lower end of income.

Nowadays. it's like $2,000,000 for the same house but the salary for that role pays only $90 - 150K. Which is 22x the lower end of income.

Send help lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I noticed that I could rent my place out at Joyce for $2,000/month + extra parking stalls for an extra $50 - 100/month. Then rent at the Arc by Parq for $2,000ish/month. I find it interesting that the price difference between the two places $550K vs $700K. Seems like nicer condos are better to rent than buy.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 02-16-2022 at 08:33 AM.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2022, 09:08 AM   #20773

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
In the 1990's houses were $300 - 400K.

My current role in accounting & finance paid about $50 - 90K in the 1990's according to google after 5+ years of experience. That was around 8x the lower end of income.

Nowadays. it's like $2,000,000 for the same house but the salary for that role pays only $90 - 150K. Which is 22x the lower end of income.

Send help lol.

I noticed that I could rent my place out at Joyce for $2,000/month + extra parking stalls for an extra $50 - 100/month. Then rent at the Arc by Parq for $2,000ish/month. I find it interesting that the price difference between the two places $550K vs $700K. Seems like nicer condos are better to rent than buy.
A similar phenomenon was noticed in this thread a few years ago actually, but with SFH. People rather pay $5-7k a month to rent a nice house in the west side than actually buy it because the running costs of a nice house gets quite high up there plus servicing the mortgage.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2022, 09:34 AM   #20774
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
How about this beaut, unrenovated original rancher in Fraser Heights just off busy street, nothing intriguing Or interesting whatsoever:

Old 02-16-2022, 09:56 AM   #20775
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,431 Times in 486 Posts
Failed 243 Times in 94 Posts
At the same time what else can someone for buy 1.8 these days
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: