REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-19-2022, 11:54 AM   #21601
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Gas food and bills? Lol
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:55 AM   #21602
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Transit, buy cheaper groceries, cut out Netflix, TV service etc.

Obviously not ideal but better than losing your home
Old 04-19-2022, 12:00 PM   #21603

For sure. I’d say there’s really no way for a lot of people to eat cheaper at this point. We are going to move to the American health model soon at that point where everyone has to live off of 1.99 nuggets at BK.
Food has been the thing that’s fucked up my life the most financially as of late. I can’t see a way to eat healthy and spend much less than $50 a day for a couple if you want to eat meat and vegetables as opposed to lots of pasta, soups and packaged stuff. I realize that I spend a fair bit on food, but considering it’s such a massive part of health that definitely isn’t something people should have to skimp on in a developed nation and just say “well that’s what it takes”
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2022, 12:07 PM   #21604

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
For sure. I’d say there’s really no way for a lot of people to eat cheaper at this point. We are going to move to the American health model soon at that point where everyone has to live off of 1.99 nuggets at BK.
Food has been the thing that’s fucked up my life the most financially as of late. I can’t see a way to eat healthy and spend much less than $50 a day for a couple if you want to eat meat and vegetables as opposed to lots of pasta, soups and packaged stuff. I realize that I spend a fair bit on food, but considering it’s such a massive part of health that definitely isn’t something people should have to skimp on in a developed nation and just say “well that’s what it takes”
Food is the one I notice the most for sure, the cost of groceries especially meat and produce is so much more than it was per-pandemic. I make conscious choices when it comes to buying meat, before I was more of don't even look at the prices if I want it buy it.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2022, 01:11 PM   #21605
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,318 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Food costs hit hard for sure, but $50/day for a couple seems a little over the top. I'm sure it's not wagyu steak every night but that's definitely more than what my family eats per day.

For me one of the things that stick out is making soup. I'm super Asian in that I try to make a pot of soup every week to 2 weeks. A pot of chicken soup is almost $40 now (big pot) whereas before covid I could get away with around $25. I shop at Crystal because it is cheaper most of the time and the cash in wallet drains so quickly now.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:20 PM   #21606
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
Cutting down on eating out definitely helps on the cost of living. Even a basic meal for two, now easily run you out $50. Say you eat out twice a week. That's easy $400-500 per month just eating out meals.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:50 PM   #21607
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Failed 54 Times in 30 Posts
As a family, we've cut down on eating out as well. Partly due to COVID and partly cost. Aside from restaurants raising prices, the expectations for tips seems to have also rose. These compounding effects are going to drive people to either self-serve restaurants or take out orders. At least it has for me.

I walked by Santouka today and a bowl of ramen is almost $20.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:51 PM   #21608
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Met a realtor friend today and I asked him what his thoughts were about no more blind bidding and having offers open to everyone.

He said look at Australia's housing prices, he noted that they have open bidding and their housing market has only been rising.

He did note that he sold a place recently and the top bidder was $150k higher than the second-place bidder, so he said imagine if they saw all the bids, they would have saved a lot of money. In that situation, that was great for the seller, not so much the buyer.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:03 PM   #21609

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
As a family, we've cut down on eating out as well. Partly due to COVID and partly cost. Aside from restaurants raising prices, the expectations for tips seems to have also rose. These compounding effects are going to drive people to either self-serve restaurants or take out orders. At least it has for me.

I walked by Santouka today and a bowl of ramen is almost $20.
I went to Kokoro Mazesoba yesterday with my wife and 3 year old and ended up spending $80(!!!) on a couple noodle bowls, a couple appetizers and an ice cream cone.

re: tipping, I've noticed a definite increase in tipping expectations on the machines - I've seen places that default to 18% minimum and that's not even on the pre-tax amount. Kinda obscene IMO.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:04 PM   #21610

People have to make money to live and everything else has gone up. The person serving your food to you deserves it just as much as you do.
Again. I’m super anti tipping, it’s unfortunate that we are stuck in that cycle. Everything at restaurants should cost 20% more and people should be paid appropriately like every other business on the planet. Unfortunately as so many people are too hit by the sticker shock to understand the math, or believe they shouldn’t have to pay the full amount if they don’t like their service, that we can’t implement it. If I think my service advisor was a prick I don’t get to pay less on my oil change. I’ll just go somewhere else.
As for switching to take out, you aren’t getting good food for take out or delivery unless it’s something specific. So many foods don’t travel well. You’re better off cooking, or buying meal kits that restaurants offer than most takeout.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2022, 02:08 PM   #21611
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post

re: tipping, I've noticed a definite increase in tipping expectations on the machines - I've seen places that default to 18% minimum and that's not even on the pre-tax amount. Kinda obscene IMO.
Custom amount > enter > 0$ > enter

Obscenity fixed

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2022, 02:12 PM   #21612

Quote:
People have to make money to live and everything else has gone up. The person serving your food to you deserves it just as much as you do.
I don't disagree with that but I'd rather they just be upfront and raise prices instead. Tipping is a bit an anachronism - it's really an American thing that got into Canada as a way to pay wait staff super low wages ($2.13/hr). We, at least, pay our wait staff minimum wage and build from there so we shouldn't be tipping at the same rates that Americans tip at. Just charge me the real price.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2022, 02:17 PM   #21613

Yeah places that have those low wages though also have 45k condos and $600/month rent. Never good to compare the pro poverty system that America loves. Most state regulated minimum wages are comparable with ours in states that have even close to Canadian levels of cost of living.
Again though, I agree. Put it in the cost on the menu. I don’t want to subsidize the wages of a business. I want to pay the business what it costs to operate and for the employees to be paid appropriately for the quality (or lack thereof) that they offer.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-19-2022, 02:23 PM   #21614
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,196 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
I went to Kokoro Mazesoba yesterday with my wife and 3 year old and ended up spending $80(!!!) on a couple noodle bowls, a couple appetizers and an ice cream cone.

Jesus 80 bucks? Maybe try taking it down one notch and have a ramen meal at Kintaro?

2 ramen bowls without modifications and a couple of appys would probably run $45 bucks before tax and tips.

Ice cream cone you could probably hit up McDonald's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:29 PM   #21615
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
$80 and $45 ramen for two??? wtf guys...

i gotta stop coming to this thread, my peasantry just get reinforced more and more...

$13 for a bowl is my cap man

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2022, 02:37 PM   #21616
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
If any of you live or work in the Downtown/Kits/Mt Pleasant area download the Ritual App. Lots of good deals there for take out - no tipping if you don't want to. No delivery fees UberEats/Skip markup either.

Though I've noticed everything's gone from $12 to $15 in the past year or so.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:42 PM   #21617
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I used this example before but it kind of outlines my feelings on the cost of things + tipping. I’m generally a great tipper 18% plus if the service is “good” I feel like I can so I do.

But then I go to Big Star Sandwhich, getting a sando for take out. The sandwiches are already quite expensive, $14-$16 plus tax. Then I get asked for a tip on the machine starting at 15%

By the time I walk out with a Sandwhich I’m looking at $18-$19. They seem to use great ingredients and I really like their sandwiches but fuckkkk..$20 for a Sandwhich? I can go sit down at my sushi spot in new west and have a super filling, great meal served to me with tea etc. for $22 or so with a tip.

At some point you’re even pricing out frivolous idiots like myself lol
Old 04-19-2022, 02:45 PM   #21618
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:

Holy Fuck! But of course it's Kokoro coming to River District. I love ramen but christ that shit just keeps getting more and more expensive. I'd rather just open me a package of Nissin/megoreng noods.
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:49 PM   #21619

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post

i gotta stop coming to this thread, my peasantry just get reinforced more and more...

Shit adds up fast - $45 pre tax and tip is $60-65 after.

I just looked up my favourite noodle place, Fat Mao, and it's $20 for their Hot and Sour noodle (it's so good, the best bowl in town). You're in for $25 after tax and tip right there. Add their delicious roti for $5 and you're in for $32.

OTOH, I do really enjoy a McDouble combo with some lettuce. $6 and it hits the spot real good.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2022, 02:50 PM   #21620
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,510 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Food has been the thing that’s fucked up my life the most financially as of late. I can’t see a way to eat healthy and spend much less than $50 a day for a couple if you want to eat meat and vegetables as opposed to lots of pasta, soups and packaged stuff.
I think you're one of the very few people that also eat around $25/day worth of food.

Recently I've been averaging close to $20 - 25/day on 3 home-cooked meals if I want to avoid fast food, processed food, frozen. My current diet consists of fresh fruits, veggies, rice/noodles/bread and a variety of cheaper proteins to hit around 170 - 200 grams of protein for weightlifting.

It baffles me that I spend around $8.5K/year on food alone to maintain a reasonable size for a taller folk. My weight can fluctuate from 180 - 240lbs depending on what I eat and how much I eat. It's cool how much this varies from all my friends, I have some who solely rely on microwavable foods, McDonalds and noodles. While others are ordering food delivery 3x meals every day lol.

Quote:
On average for dining out, I'd say the average per person after tip is close to $30 - 40 tip-in, for a decent meal with an appy. The asian in me never gets the drink or dessert. Cheap meals start like like $13 - 16 before tip and the food sucks so much that it's worth spending double for a good meal and eating out half as much imo. No idea how some guys afford to date and pay for their SO's $80 - 100 meals 2 - 3x a week.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 04-19-2022 at 03:22 PM.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:38 PM   #21621

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
I started seeing tipping options pop up on the debit machines at a couple my local private liquor stores. Like seriously? What am I tipping for?
You scanning my merchandise so that I can pay for it?

That's one's a hard no for me.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2022, 03:51 PM   #21622

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post

My $45 dollar price point is broken down as follows using Kintaro Ramen

Miso Ramen $13.15 but with two bowls that's $26.30

Maybe cut out an appetizer, so one plate of Gyoza for $6.55

Total cost $32.85 before tax and tips, but you also have to factor in parking costs and the time to get to Kintaro Ramen.

Then go to McDonald's for desert.

Everything said and done probably a hair under $45
Quote:
Quote:
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:09 PM   #21623

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Failed 54 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
Everything said and done probably a hair under $45
They just haven't raised their prices yet. Once they do, you'll sing a different tune. I've seen anywhere from 20-40% increases. Did anyone's pay checks go up by that much?
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 04:19 PM   #21624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
They just haven't raised their prices yet. Once they do, you'll sing a different tune. I've seen anywhere from 20-40% increases. Did anyone's pay checks go up by that much?
Even if Kintaro raise their prices, it will still undercut the more expensive ramen joints around downtown.

But you're right, just a matter of time until they increase their prices.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-19-2022, 06:06 PM   #21625
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
anyone remember ~20 years ago after 7pm in east van at Kishu River "ramen noodles" for like $3.50 a bowl?

$5 out the door - the good old days

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote