REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:57 AM   #22376
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,891 Times in 7,388 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
It's also not like people just have a choice to make more. Not everyone can make 100k+
It takes luck, connections, hard work, and certain skills that people might just not have. It's hard to get that combination, or just an absurd amount of any one of those. Not everyone can be the top of the pile or there would be no pile.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2022, 12:25 PM   #22377
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,881 Times in 992 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
All that cap in highschool sure worked out well, free student loans for everyone and deferrals sure taught people about budgeting and financial planning. O yea don't forget to buy your first 5 year old used car at 8% interest rate.

Sad to say it but I don't see many under 40 make over $80k. You gotta really be pro active or family money to own a place, or you're stuck in the rent cycle forever. Also be realistic with your expectations, 1 bed is too small, it's not premium. bitch you can't even afford a studio
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2022, 12:35 PM   #22378
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 14 Times in 5 Posts
I'm of the opinion that how much you make is not as important as how much you can keep. Too many people just have a free flowing tap of credit that they spend and spend
G0rilla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2022, 12:36 PM   #22379

What free student loans are you referring to?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-06-2022, 01:03 PM   #22380
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
That's a really good point, those who are loyal to their companies or like the stability of staying in one company usually fall victim to being underpaid. Getting 0 - 7% raise a year depending on budgets and performance.

I come from the accounting and finance background and those who are doing really well are the one's who stick it out 1 to 2 years then job hop for a 20 - 40% raise. The moment you hit one year, you keep looking for the next pay jump. People talk about burning bridges and how it looks bad on your resume. I don't agree with this because your coworkers are generally happy you're getting a pay or title bump and recruiters are the ones hunting you for these new roles anyways.

Accounting is a sure way to hit $100K in 10 years, but most do it in 5.

Year 1: Staff Accountant / Junior Accountant - $38 - 42K, in 2022 they bumped salaries to $50 - 55K

Year 2: Raise $45 - 60K

Year 3: Finish CPA designation bump to $60 - 70K

Year 4: Job hop to a senior accountant job $75 - 90K + bonus

Year 5: Raise or laterally hop to another senior accountant / senior analyst / Manager $85 - 110K + bonus

Year 6 - 10: Land manager asap to make $100 - 140K + Bonus (Many retire their career aspirations here if they can find a chill gig working < 20 hours a week, usually government / city)

Years 11 - 15: Land senior manager asap to make $140 - 180K + Bonus

Years 15+: Decide if you wanna slave into director/vp/svp/CFO and $200 - 500K+ or try to make $140 - 180K working < 40 hours a week.
Agreed, the oldschool mentality of staying with 1 company and working your way up in general will make you fall behind the market compensation rate.

I've been jumping jobs every 1.5 years within my field and I've been getting 15-20% pay increase every time. Also, with the last 5 companies, I was the one getting recruited so I had leverage in negotiating. I am onto my 9th company.
KayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:11 PM   #22381
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I’m wondering where the teachers are at 91k after 10 years stat is coming from. My best friend is relatively new to the profession and he speaks quite bleakly about financial growth opportunities.
Surrey's teacher salary grid. Go to Page 3, you'll see updated for 2021

https://www.bctf.ca/docs/default-sou...ar-30-2020.pdf

Cat 5 = Standard teacher (primary and highschool)
Cat 6- = Standard Teacher with a PB+15 certificate*
Cat 6 = Masters/doctorate degree

*PB+15 = Five course program, very easy to get, you can even do it online.

Any standard teacher who doesn't get their PB+15 certificate is leaving money on the table
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2022, 01:16 PM   #22382

I didn't know they had the potential to make that. Seems like they are better paid than I realized. Not that teachers aren't incredibly valuable, but 90k is not shitty. What's category 4 though? That is actually substantially less.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-06-2022, 01:21 PM   #22383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
...But now that I look around, it seems as though everyone is balling.

This is totally true from everyone I know.

Everyone in Vancouver is trying to keep up with the Joneses.

There is more debt floating around than people think. I know people who take out money from their LOC to go on vacation. When I heard this, I couldn't believe it.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2022, 01:33 PM   #22384
in the butt

Thanked 3,524 Times in 1,284 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
free student loans

In regards to teachers
90k for 9 months of work is equivalent to 120k/yr full time

My mom complains about babysitting kids for 9 months of the year
The other 3 months complains about being bored at home

This thread is going far off topic, we need more flat roof complains, wrong color siding, and sub-par styling on 4 million dollar houses
yes you supafamous

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:42 PM   #22385
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayC View Post
Agreed, the oldschool mentality of staying with 1 company and working your way up in general will make you fall behind the market compensation rate.

I've been jumping jobs every 1.5 years within my field and I've been getting 15-20% pay increase every time. Also, with the last 5 companies, I was the one getting recruited so I had leverage in negotiating. I am onto my 9th company.
What industry are you in? I feel like this only works for some of them.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:51 PM   #22386
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayC View Post
I hope you keep getting recruited, jesus, I'd hate to be you filling out one of those websites where you have to write in your start and end date and description of your previous employments.

Don't people get pissy looking at your resume asking why you stay everywhere for so little? It's a big red flag where I come from, someone moves every year or whatever usually means they're a troublemaker... but then I am in the government lol... but onboarding someone is like a $40k cost in manpower/time/training for most businesses so they don't want people being super transient for obvious reasons.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2022, 02:00 PM   #22387
private modder

Thanked 2,764 Times in 776 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
If someone has a track record of not remaining at a single job more than 2 years, I don't bother interviewing.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2022, 02:08 PM   #22388

https://www.redfin.ca/bc/vancouver/7...home/155854812

This seems like the ideal layout, good square footage, and it's a new build with a mortgage helper.

Prices are coming down. The amount of detached houses under $2M in Vancouver are plentiful compared to months ago.

edit; I don't think $2M is particularly good value for a duplex though. But i'm actually seeing $1.5M detached houses for sale, which was unheard of a few months back

Last edited by PeanutButter; 06-06-2022 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:20 PM   #22389
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,638 Times in 1,142 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
If someone has a track record of not remaining at a single job more than 2 years, I don't bother interviewing.
Depends on the line of work - in tech it's not unusual at all to job hop every 18-24 months. If you're in SF or any major tech hub it's practically expected that you job hop as it's the fastest way to get a raise and, in some jobs, you learn as much as you can by the time 24 months passes.

That said, I've interviewed enough people to have an idea when the job hopping is b/c the person sucks (or is a flake) or when it's because they had good opportunities. There's only so many companies in Vancouver that you can job hop to before you run out of options.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:28 PM   #22390

Failed 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
What industry are you in? I feel like this only works for some of them.
You are right, this method won't be applicable to all industries. I am in tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I hope you keep getting recruited, jesus, I'd hate to be you filling out one of those websites where you have to write in your start and end date and description of your previous employments.

Don't people get pissy looking at your resume asking why you stay everywhere for so little? It's a big red flag where I come from, someone moves every year or whatever usually means they're a troublemaker... but then I am in the government lol... but onboarding someone is like a $40k cost in manpower/time/training for most businesses so they don't want people being super transient for obvious reasons.
I hope so too! In my industry, employers generally don't care. I mean, they look at my employment history before they reach out and if they question it, I just put it back on them for reaching out in the first place. That being said, the tech market now is taking a dump, with tons of layoffs happening in the states etc. So lets see where I will end up in the next few months
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2022, 02:32 PM   #22391
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,881 Times in 992 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
From what I've heard lots of people can say COVID or loss of income and they can defer their payments

And you don't even need an income to get gov student loans, you just need to get into some school and have a pulse, even the student loans at the bank need you to have income so they know you can make payments, or they tell you to get the fuck out and they're not a charity

Quote:
What free student loans are you referring to?
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:35 PM   #22392
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
I've moved around in the last 5 years through two companies (3 total in that time) and have jumped by salary about +80%....sure experience and project size has drastically increased but times are changing and people are in demand too so that helps.
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2022, 02:36 PM   #22393

That’s not what a free student loan is. It’s just called a student loan.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-06-2022, 02:39 PM   #22394

Failed 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Depends on the line of work - in tech it's not unusual at all to job hop every 18-24 months. If you're in SF or any major tech hub it's practically expected that you job hop as it's the fastest way to get a raise and, in some jobs, you learn as much as you can by the time 24 months passes.

That said, I've interviewed enough people to have an idea when the job hopping is b/c the person sucks (or is a flake) or when it's because they had good opportunities. There's only so many companies in Vancouver that you can job hop to before you run out of options.
There are so many remote jobs from the states now. Thats what I consider only now since compensation is usually way better than local Vancouver companies.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2022, 03:37 PM   #22395
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,502 Times in 956 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
It's also not like people just have a choice to make more. Not everyone can make 100k+
It takes luck, connections, hard work, and certain skills that people might just not have. It's hard to get that combination, or just an absurd amount of any one of those. Not everyone can be the top of the pile or there would be no pile.
For sure, there's very few careers where you can make it without hard work, planning, and time spent on developing social skills.

All the above give you the best odds at making connections and landing roles.

Without the bottom pile, you'll be stuck with the bottom grunt work lol.

Quote:
I didn't know they had the potential to make that. Seems like they are better paid than I realized. Not that teachers aren't incredibly valuable, but 90k is not shitty. What's category 4 though? That is actually substantially less.
I think their pension is worth about 8-12% a year in nominal value. So technically they're over $100K too.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:42 PM   #22396

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post

That's how they trap you with the 1-2 year stock options vesting. But then the next tech company comes along and gives you a $30K signing bonus + more RSU's that the last company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
I wouldn't either if I'm staying long-term, rehiring and having to split the person who lefts work is a pita.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2022, 03:42 PM   #22397
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Someone wanna make a job discussion thread?

For RE I am wondering, like someone such as myself where your condo is worth twice as much as when you bought it… and your mortgage is not far from being paid off… if you left the country, would you just keep it and rent it out and the troubles that accompany that? Or would you cut and run / invest the money? I feel like it’s a tough call, renting is definitely not risk free either bad renters OR building problems or the much vaunted earthquake we are supposed to have one day. There’s potential (though hard to believe!!) it could still go up even more in value too I suppose.

Smartly invested the monthly income probably isn’t that much less than renting. In fact, you’d only need to return 4% to match rental income.

Let’s not assume, for the sake of argument, that you need to sell it in order to fund living accommodations elsewhere.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:46 PM   #22398
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,162 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 333 Times in 67 Posts
Anyone here own property over the border?
tegra7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:48 PM   #22399

Quote:
Someone wanna make a job discussion thread?

For RE I am wondering, like someone such as myself where your condo is worth twice as much as when you bought it… and your mortgage is not far from being paid off… if you left the country, would you just keep it and rent it out and the troubles that accompany that? Or would you cut and run / invest the money? I feel like it’s a tough call, renting is definitely not risk free either bad renters OR building problems or the much vaunted earthquake we are supposed to have one day. Smartly invested the monthly income probably isn’t that much less than renting.

Let’s not assume, for the sake of argument, that you need to sell it in order to fund living accommodations elsewhere.
If you leave Canada, there's a 25% non-resident withholding tax to start. Your question depends on your risk tolerance and expected return on real estate vs stocks.

Real-estate investing is not very tax favorable if you're relying on rent to fund living accommodations elsewhere. Especially if it's one unit, having one bad tenant who knows the RTA can send you to pain town. You'll also need a property manager so take 8 - 12% off your monthly rent + 50% for tenant placement.

Stocks are probably better since you get dividends to fund living accommodations and requires no work.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2022, 04:03 PM   #22400
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
if you left the country, would you just keep it and rent it out and the troubles that accompany that?
I imagine this depends on what you mean by "left the country." Are you talking for a couple years and then come back, or renouncing citizenship and never returning?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote