REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-16-2022, 08:01 AM   #22876
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
The point of contention isn't if massive supply increase will changes prices, it's whether or not the demand here was fundamentally sound in the first place. Supafamous seems to think it's sound (i.e. won't decrease) but I don't.

We are still very early and we won't find out for another 2 to 3 years. If prices are still the same at that time with interest rates being more normal (not sub 3%), then he will be right. I have my doubts though.

As for sellers not wanting to sell for a loss and will just hang on to their properties, that's very true. Until they can no longer afford the payments of course.
I don't think the current prices are "sound", I think they're just a natural outcome of a very, very bad supply-demand problem. What's happened is exactly what happens when supply is constrained and the other externalities like foreign investors or people owning multiple homes etc are mostly distractions - they're easier problems to tackle but they don't really change anything and that's been the case ever since people started complaining about housing prices in the..................1950's.

Westopher explained it much better than I did - that it's an affordability problem. It's not the price of the house itself but how much it costs in total - I was wrong to simplify it to just price.

Example:

One year ago I could buy a $1m place at 1.2% interest - at 20% down ($200k) my payments would have been $2600/mo.

Today that $1m place with a 20% downpayment goes for $3500/mo at 3.45% (today's rate) so the cost of the house has actually increased ~25%.

For that house (haha, no, just a 2 bed condo folks) to have a $2600/mo payment would require it to drop in price to $800k (with the same downpayment, a $600k mortgage) - a 20% decrease in price.

At current interest rates the market would need to drop 20% in price just to stay level with what it was a year ago in terms of affordability. If the market does drop 20% it's a case of "nothing has changed" because people are still stuck spending as much as they can on housing (until they forced to spend even more).

Look at it another way: It's basically took a 25% increase in housing costs in the last 6 months to cause the market to almost grind to a halt. A house is the biggest purchase in someone's life so it should be fairly price sensitive yet it takes a huge increase to get people to bail - that says a lot about how desperate people are for a house.

People aren't paying a lot for houses b/c money is cheap, they're paying a lot of money b/c they're desperate.
Advertisement

Last edited by supafamous; 07-16-2022 at 08:20 AM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2022, 08:26 AM   #22877
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
I don't think the current prices are "sound", I think they're just a natural outcome of a very, very bad supply-demand problem. What's happened is exactly what happens when supply is constrained and the other externalities like foreign investors or people owning multiple homes etc are mostly distractions - they're easier problems to tackle but they don't really change anything and that's been the case ever since people started complaining about housing prices in the..................1950's.

Westopher explained it much better than I did - that it's an affordability problem. It's not the price of the house itself but how much it costs in total.

Example:

One year ago I could buy a $1m place at 1.2% interest - at 20% down ($200k) my payments would have been $2600/mo.

Today that $1m place with a 20% downpayment goes for $3500/mo at 3.45% (today's rate) so the cost of the house has actually increased ~25%.

For that house (haha, no, just a 2 bed condo folks) to have a $2600/mo payment would require it to drop in price to $800k (with the same downpayment, a $600k mortgage) - a 20% decrease in price.

At current interest rates the market would need to drop 20% in price just to stay level with what it was a year ago in terms of affordability. If the market does drop 20% it's a case of "nothing has changed" because people are still stuck spending as much as they can on housing (until they forced to spend even more).

Look at it another way: It's basically took a 25% increase in housing costs in the last 6 months to cause the market to almost grind to a halt. A house is the biggest purchase in someone's life so it should be fairly price sensitive yet it takes a huge increase to get people to bail - that says a lot about how desperate people are for a house.

People aren't paying a lot for houses b/c money is cheap, they're paying a lot of money b/c they're desperate.
Sorry, your right. We should be talking about sales volumes when addressing about whether demand is artificially propped up or not.

In Jan 2022, sales volume were +25.3% above 10 year averages for Januarys. The previous month, Dec 2021, it was +33% of 10year average for Decembers. November was also +33% above, etc. Those are the unsustainable demand numbers I was talking about.

We will see what those # of transactions rates will become 2/3 years from now. If there is healthy demand supported by fundamentals, then the sales volume will not decrease right?

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 08:33 AM   #22878
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Sales drop = more and more pent up demand, less ppl rezoning or spending $ to increase supply = probably another run once this settles, as pretty much everyone knows this level of % also isn't sustainable in the long run. Also rents will go up then renters bitch to CBC they are homeless + stress test too high then gov makes up some program to help them = more demand.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2022, 08:59 AM   #22879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
Sorry, your right. We should be talking about sales volumes when addressing about whether demand is artificially propped up or not.

In Jan 2022, sales volume were +25.3% above 10 year averages for Januarys. The previous month, Dec 2021, it was +33% of 10year average for Decembers. November was also +33% above, etc. Those are the unsustainable demand numbers I was talking about.

We will see what those # of transactions rates will become 2/3 years from now. If there is healthy demand supported by fundamentals, then the sales volume will not decrease right?
I think that's mostly fair - while we'll see some short cycles where a correction takes place the general trend line if the fundamentals are reasonable should be of sustained, steady demand. I say "mostly" because the lack of supply on the market is likely the biggest driver of demand - eg. people deciding to put their homes on the market have the biggest impact, it's not the number of people who want to buy which is generally stable.

For what it's worth, I apologise for my tone in prior comments - I get really riled up about housing having watched year after years of city planners, politicians, NIMBYs etc ignore the problem - I was livid just following the debate on the Broadway Plan, the FUCK are these people doing!!! They've created villains out of innocents and hide their racism and classism behind language like "community character" or "liveability". Those people (I'm looking at you Colleen Hardwick) need to burn in hell for what they've done to people.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2022, 09:39 AM   #22880
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Cue renters complaining because rental stock would shrink and bump prices even higher for rent
The imaginary situation I’m creating would do the opposite. It would take investment properties being used for short term rentals, or empty buy and holds and put them back into housing stock.
That situation would remove people from the renter pool as they could become homeowners, potentially decreasing the competition/demand for rental units.
Again I have no numbers or idea to back this up, so have no idea how much it will help, but it could be a little or a lot, and goes back to the fact that no one should own these properties to sit empty or be short term rentals where there is a housing crisis.
Short term rentals should only be allowed as a suite on a property that is occupied by renters or owners of the main unit, or in situations for what Airbnb’s original plan was, which was to allow homeowners who were somewhere else for say a 2 week vacation and to allow their home to be rented while they are gone.
The government should create rules that would decimate their current business model.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 10:05 AM   #22881
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Sounds pretty Communist doesn't it, that's like saying you can't buy 5 m3s and hoard them in your garage so others can have their m3s too
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 12:20 PM   #22882
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
People don’t live in M3s. It’s not a basic human necessity.
Food, water, shelter, healthcare are all necessities. It’s not that hard to understand man. It’s such a stupid comparison.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2022, 04:06 PM   #22883
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
For what it's worth, I apologise for my tone in prior comments - I get really riled up about housing having watched year after years of city planners, politicians, NIMBYs etc ignore the problem - I was livid just following the debate on the Broadway Plan, the FUCK are these people doing!!! They've created villains out of innocents and hide their racism and classism behind language like "community character" or "liveability". Those people (I'm looking at you Colleen Hardwick) need to burn in hell for what they've done to people.
And Colleen Hardwick is running for mayor in the October (municipal) election. In the municipal politics group that I follow, there seems to be a decently strong following for her. I cringe every time her cheerleaders try to portrait her in a positive light.

Goddamn she is part of the current City Council. She is part of the reason why we are in this shxt show now.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2022, 07:12 PM   #22884
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
Went to an open house today.
Listed just under $4m. $15k property tax.
Was told the house has been vacant since the start of the pandemic.
Realtor shows us garage and an orange 4x4 g wagon parked inside.
Says owner just uses the house to store one of his extra cars.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:08 PM   #22885
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,511 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
At least you can look at $4M listings!

If you can afford a $4M house, you can probably afford a 4x4 G wagon. I got an extra parking spot if you need somewhere to store an extra car.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:39 PM   #22886
GS8

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts

Every exit to Vancouver should read this.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:05 PM   #22887
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 03:57 PM   #22888
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post

Every exit to Vancouver should read this.
You have a better chance of swapping out all Vancouver postcards for a picture of the DTES lol.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2022, 04:00 PM   #22889
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Went to an open house today.
Listed just under $4m. $15k property tax.
Was told the house has been vacant since the start of the pandemic.
Realtor shows us garage and an orange 4x4 g wagon parked inside.
Says owner just uses the house to store one of his extra cars.

Yup. The wealth here is mind-boggling. Wife is in the construction industry and some of the clients/potential clients that she has come across have a net worth greater than all of revscene combined.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2022, 04:04 PM   #22890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Yup. The wealth here is mind-boggling. Wife is in the construction industry and some of the clients/potential clients that she has come across have a net worth greater than all of revscene combined.
We got nice cars though.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:24 PM   #22891
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,511 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
We got nice cars though.
We got a collective MSRP of maybe a 1BR Condo in King George Surrey if we minus out Harvey Spector and include every car we have

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2022, 06:49 PM   #22892
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
We got nice cars though.
*Looks at my signature with no car less than a decade old*

Do we though?
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2022, 07:10 PM   #22893
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
How do you define "nice" car?
Age of the car?
Car brand?
Performance?
MSRP?
etc.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 07:46 PM   #22894
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,434 Times in 563 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
*Looks at my signature with no car less than a decade old*

Do we though?
Well between your two cars looks like you own a grand total of 12-cylinders. 12 Cylinders! That's supercar territory.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2022, 09:17 AM   #22895
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
This was a house around the corner from me, have been watching it pretty closely, basically sold as ask minus realtor fees

Nice place, move in ready without a suite, which most of the similar neighboring homes have. I think if you have a nice more desirable place you have more leverage as a seller as opposed to the dirty old house filled with hoarder garbage.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:27 AM   #22896

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
I think that's mostly fair - while we'll see some short cycles where a correction takes place the general trend line if the fundamentals are reasonable should be of sustained, steady demand. I say "mostly" because the lack of supply on the market is likely the biggest driver of demand - eg. people deciding to put their homes on the market have the biggest impact, it's not the number of people who want to buy which is generally stable.

All good man. I knew as well that you had upgraded/bought recently so I didn't take it personally

Btw, this article sums up how I felt about it

https://betterdwelling.com/the-canad...nraveling-bmo/

Excerpt:

Quote:
Canadian Real Estate Was Driven By A Speculative Bubble, Not Supply Shortage
BMO has prominently challenged Canada’s supply shortage narrative. With the exception of SFU professor Andy Yan, few professionals questioned the supply narrative. It just made sense — interest rates were cut and there were no more houses. Obviously low rates designed to stimulate demand to help inflation had no role. Clear as mud to most economists.

It’s true there was a shortage of real estate inventory for sale across Canada… the US, Australia, the Netherlands, and pretty much every advanced economy. That’s an intended consequence and natural reaction to slashing rates.

Slashing interest rates help expand budgets but more importantly stimulate demand. This demand stimulus is meant to overrun the supply and increase home prices. When prices rise, it attracts more people to buy as well. No one wants to pay more for something, and it’s the same principle that drives deflation fears. Falling prices mean people wait to see how much they’ll fall, while rising prices lead to FOMO. It’s a well understood feature of inflation.

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2022, 10:02 AM   #22897
RS controls my life!

Failed 62 Times in 18 Posts
Yea I don't buy the supply-shortage argument completely either. Building more housing for sure will improve affordability but I think the supply-shortage argument is exaggerated because it assumes that all demand is 'altruistic' (i.e. an ordinary family trying to buy their principal residence). Even in that CMHC report supafamous quoted, it completely omits the fact that government-backed studies have shown 25% of transactions and 30~40% of housing stock are attributed to multiple property owners (i.e. speculative investors) in recent years. Instead of focusing solely on "supply", why not make that artificial demand disappear?

If you read the full CMHC report https://assets.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/sites...2-6ebbddcd79a0, even by CMHC's projections to 2030, it shows that housing stock is projected to grow faster than the number of households without any changes (Figure 3, page 20). Put another way, CMHC themselves project that the ratio of housing stock to number of households will improve over time (Figure 5 Panel B, page 22). CHMC however argues that demand will far outpace the growth of households based on historical data and thus the supply-shortage conclusion. Well, we know for a fact that a huge chunk of demand historically has been speculative.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2022, 10:26 AM   #22898
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I don't really understand the housing shortage thing either... at least so far as it applies to condos anyway... one walk down 3 road in Richmond will leave you stymied on that one, they must have added at least 2,500+ condos in the last 3 years with more coming... Capstan Way area alone is like a miniature community to itself
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2022, 10:40 AM   #22899
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Go look at the people lining up to buy those pre-sales and you’ll find your answer.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:42 AM   #22900
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
I don’t take any article seriously that uses a word like FOMO. Almost as bad as reading the drama novels by Garth Turner.