REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-29-2022, 02:06 PM   #23051
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,760 Times in 2,314 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
How does BMO print money. I'm not too familiar
Lol. They used to. When Canada was just a wee little country BMO printed all the canadian currency. It was only in the 1950's that BoC took over the duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Spoiler!
Yeah buying jobs by bidding with no margin on top of your labour does happen. Like you say you want to keep guys busy during lull seasons or valleys in the industry. We move around and have enough work that this isn't necessary usually. Also eventually you just get used to it, when your coming to the close of a project with 700 people on payroll, its obvious unless you have another 60+ million dollar contract firing right up, most of those people are getting laid off. In industrial that's just normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
300k as a plumber? That's got to be like top 1-3%? If we are comparing top percentile to top percentile, one could say getting an arts degree could make you millions by becoming a c-suite executive... All sources that I can find says that average salary for a plumber is like ~60-80k. Obviously better than a barista but far from 300k.
Everyone is really hung up on plumbing because I used that as a trade example. Yes i'm sure if you just go work at fucking roto rooter your probably going to only make $80k as a CJM plumber. The ceiling is way higher, and no it's not just the top 1% of plumbers who make that type of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
yeah plumbers don't make that kind of money. if you had your own company you can't just work at a job site for 40 hours a week. from what i've seen plumbers are juggling jobs non stop and they will show up to a job for maybe a day at a time, then fuck off to who knows where for a week, then after non stop calls to get them to finish the job you have to hire another plumber.
Okay, first off yes they do. You go hire a plumber to come to your house and tell me how much he charges you. Lol.

I'll stop with the indirect examples, and give you a direct example. I have a rig welder currently employed. He owns his own truck, the typical 6" lifted Diesel powered Douche Sled. He's got a 10000 dollar Lincoln in the back, and probably another 10 or 15k in tools on board. He gets $135 an hour, and paid $150 bucks a day for his rig. He works 12 hours a day, on a 20 days on-10 days off rotation. Occasionally he works a few hours of OT here and there. His OT rate is $185/hour.

Today happens to be payday. This year to date i've paid him $258,000.

I've got 16 other Rigs on payroll. These guys aren't the top 1%. Their just average rig welders. Exact same pay structure you are looking at for the guys working on the transmountain pipeline which probably employs 1000 or more of them right now.

You guys can close your eyes to it all you want. The average tradesmen if he wants to work, has a higher earning ceiling than your average university graduate who leaves university having no clue what they want to do.

And maybe West is right, it's because it structures you into a role, but how is that any different then going to work for Translink or whatever which everyone on here likes to recommend to people.
Advertisement

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2022, 02:37 PM   #23052
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
The plumbers I know make 100k on the payroll, and another 50 in side jobs untaxed lol. That’s close enough to 200 for me.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:46 PM   #23053

Thanked 2,510 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
That's exactly $200k pre-taxed!

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 02:49 PM   #23054

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

I'll stop with the indirect examples, and give you a direct example. I have a rig welder currently employed. He owns his own truck, the typical 6" lifted Diesel powered Douche Sled. He's got a 10000 dollar Lincoln in the back, and probably another 10 or 15k in tools on board. He gets $135 an hour, and paid $150 bucks a day for his rig. He works 12 hours a day, on a 20 days on-10 days off rotation. Occasionally he works a few hours of OT here and there. His OT rate is $185/hour.

Today happens to be payday. This year to date i've paid him $258,000.

I've got 16 other Rigs on payroll. These guys aren't the top 1%. Their just average rig welders. Exact same pay structure you are looking at for the guys working on the transmountain pipeline which probably employs 1000 or more of them right now.
Back when I was like 15 - 16, I messaged the jasonturbo dude on revscene with the NSX/S2K/M3's asking what he did for guidance on my future. I recall dreaming about having nice cars like him one day. He mentioned he was a welder and listed an entire essay of how to easily get to where he was. He mentioned I could clear $150 - 250K+ back in 2011 lol. That money invested must be treating him good now.

I agree with meme405, that average trades person has a higher average ceiling compared to the professional workers. Most of the professional folks cap at $80 - 120K for most of their life with the ambitious one's fighting for the $120 - 150K+ roles. If you look up director positions on indeed in Vancouver there's less than 29 positions and some of them include VP/C-Suite roles.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 07-29-2022 at 02:57 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2022, 03:26 PM   #23055
RS controls my life!

Failed 64 Times in 21 Posts
Trades you have to be aware of the long-term damage to your body, you could argue well office jobs damage your body too. Yes but not to the extent as trades.

Let's be real, Vancouver has a large population of Asians who in their society trades & driving trucks are viewed as low quality. You can dangle all the potential earnings in trades in front of them and they'll still line up to work at the big 4 accounting firm for $38k starting.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2022, 03:36 PM   #23056
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
So who is gonna make the jobs discussion thread....
already in the car sale job advice thread

Quote:
I agree with meme405, that average trades person has a higher average ceiling compared to the professional workers. Most of the professional folks cap at $80 - 120K for most of their life with the ambitious one's fighting for the $120 - 150K+ roles. If you look up director positions on indeed in Vancouver there's less than 29 positions and some of them include VP/C-Suite roles.
i would also say said professionals (myself included) to get there, can take 10 years of grinding/working in the sweat shop, vs a young tradesperson with their ticket and make good money early on.

@noclue - true, but if you have acumen/ambition, you can easily transition in to the office as an estimator/PM, or become a foreman/site super - less strenuous on the body.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2022, 11:23 PM   #23057
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
On the note of PM, I've been browsing PM jobs for the last year. It's very difficult to find a PM job that is NOT construction related. Construction PM is HOT.

(And before someone mentions it, yes, I know that you can use negative keywords in job searches. You can also use it on CL, Autotrader, but I don't rmb if negative keywords work on REW)
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:55 AM   #23058

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
lower mainland experience, and also experienced post olympics rut... it was rough for a few years. only 'busy-ness' felt like existing large projects or infrastructure.

commercial and even resi was tight. also loss of employees as well as meme stated, they moved to where the work was abundant as was the pay, such as oil fields back then (before they went kaput).

still happy i made the switch to construction from tech overall though, was way more stable and easier to start a family/get a home, etc.

and wtf is with pho places i see a bowl or plate for $15-17 wtf it's same as gourmet ramen now.
LOL gourmet Ramen is even more than that. Santouka as an example is over $18 I've even seen some places around like $22. You add tax and a tip looking at $25 - $30 for a bowl of Ramen, crazy!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2022, 08:12 AM   #23059
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
On the note of PM, I've been browsing PM jobs for the last year. It's very difficult to find a PM job that is NOT construction related. Construction PM is HOT.

(And before someone mentions it, yes, I know that you can use negative keywords in job searches. You can also use it on CL, Autotrader, but I don't rmb if negative keywords work on REW)
Are you just wanting to avoid building construction, or any kind of construction? The company I work for is looking for an EPC PM for industrial food & beverage type stuff. It's a remote job with some travel in Canada and maybe the US. The office is in Calgary but I've never been there lol.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:20 AM   #23060

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 73 Posts
I have to renew my mortgage in January. I assume im screwed with theses new interest rates. What are my best options? Sign a 1 or 2 year mortgage and hopefully interest rates drops when it comes for renewal again?

TIA and sorry if this question has been answered many times.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:59 AM   #23061
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Screwed as in you are stuck with the market rates currently?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2022, 11:33 AM   #23062

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 73 Posts
Arent i?
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:27 PM   #23063

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post

Let's be real, Vancouver has a large population of Asians who in their society trades & driving trucks are viewed as low quality. You can dangle all the potential earnings in trades in front of them and they'll still line up to work at the big 4 accounting firm for $38k starting.
That felt targeted

My friends parent who are successful in building SFH make close to $250 - 500K Gross if you consider how many cash jobs they do in a year. They're like damn, there's no reason to put in any work anymore when your parent makes more than your 2 siblings combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
Trades you have to be aware of the long-term damage to your body, you could argue well office jobs damage your body too. Yes but not to the extent as trades.
I think the biggest pro's of professional jobs in the modern era is that you can WFH. As long as you're valuable and have a lot to offer most jobs will let you WFH. I probably save close to $5,000 - 7,500 gross in gas, business clothing, work events, lunches & snacks that you occasionally buy, commute time. I don't think I'd ever leave WFH without getting paid at least $15 - 20K more and then they'd have to be at least 2 - 4 days hybrid. Can step out to the local range, grab groceries, gym, make heathier and cheaper lunches than buying. Feels like energy is 10x higher.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 07-30-2022, 01:40 PM   #23064
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 14 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Okay, first off yes they do. You go hire a plumber to come to your house and tell me how much he charges you. Lol.
Anywhere from $100-160/hour.
Having said that, the plumber themselves would only get about a third of that. So realistic average annual income of a plumber in Vancouver is $60-100k/year. It really depends on the company your work for and the skill level of the tradesperson.

I'm not saying it's impossible to to make $300k a year in the plumbing or any trade for that matter, but you're not going to be doing that by working for someone, and you're definitely going to be ruthless in billing and charging as much as possible/nickel and diming the customer (ie truck charges, shop supply charges, fuel surplus charge, charging WAY MORE on materials than you should, charging of equipment usage, etc). And to top it off, I don't think it's even possible to work less than 55-60hours/week to run a successful small/self-employed business, especially in trades.

I think the outlier to this would be plumbing companies/plumber that do more "specialized"/labour intensive/essential work such as trenchless water service line replacement, perimeter drainage or underground sanitary pipes. Imagine the sanitary building sewage line breaking in the front yard and actual shit/sewage seeping up into your front yard and sewage backing up from your basement toilet/shower. You don't have much of a choice but to hand over $15,000 for 4 days of work. These companies wouldn't bother showing up for less that $2500/day
Old 07-30-2022, 02:23 PM   #23065
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
I've got a buddy who's an electrician and a past client who's a plumber. Both are self employed and both clear $150k. What most people don't know is they are both on call 24/7. Odd random working hours and never takes holidays, let alone a day off. My electrician buddy after 10 years of running his own business quit and became a consultant and does electrical diagrams WFH.
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2022, 02:59 PM   #23066
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Honestly thinking about starting a handyman business. I can fix pretty much anything I can do mid-high level finishing etc. my wife’s grandmas house had a leak and she contacted like 6-7 people. Only 1 person got back to her who was a gutter guy. Climbed on the roof said your roof is fucked, cya.

You literally can’t even get people so I finally said fuck it, I’ll do it. Got heatstroke from being on a fucking roof yesterday but in about 4 hours I did what someone would charge $2500+ for (a new roof for this roof might be 10k) but you can’t even get a roofer.

Old 07-30-2022, 03:34 PM   #23067
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
I think the biggest pro's of professional jobs in the modern era is that you can WFH. As long as you're valuable and have a lot to offer most jobs will let you WFH. I probably save close to $5,000 - 7,500 gross in gas, business clothing, work events, lunches & snacks that you occasionally buy, commute time. I don't think I'd ever leave WFH without getting paid at least $15 - 20K more and then they'd have to be at least 2 - 4 days hybrid. Can step out to the local range, grab groceries, gym, make heathier and cheaper lunches than buying. Feels like energy is 10x higher.
What's wild in the tech space is that you can usually make more money if you are willing to WFH/Remote b/c American companies are now part of the market and they pay more than local companies. Tech workers who work in the office usually end up making less rather than more.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:33 PM   #23068
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
Arent i?
I personally wouldn't think of it that way. If you want to feel screwed, sell your house, rent, and try to get back into the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2022, 04:40 PM   #23069
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Honestly thinking about starting a handyman business. I can fix pretty much anything I can do mid-high level finishing etc. my wife’s grandmas house had a leak and she contacted like 6-7 people. Only 1 person got back to her who was a gutter guy. Climbed on the roof said your roof is fucked, cya.

You literally can’t even get people so I finally said fuck it, I’ll do it. Got heatstroke from being on a fucking roof yesterday but in about 4 hours I did what someone would charge $2500+ for (a new roof for this roof might be 10k) but you can’t even get a roofer.

Huge demand for handyman type services right now. You just got to be willing to but in the hours.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:58 PM   #23070
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Huge demand for handyman type services right now. You just got to be willing to but in the hours.
And risk death by heat stroke
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:04 PM   #23071
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,535 Times in 536 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 8 Posts
Dont forget to factor in the kickbacks that have to come out of your pocket to land larger jobs/contracts. Those envelopes of cash, gift cards and expensive dinners add up. The RE industry whether selling, managing, servicing or developing is so damn dirty in this city
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2022, 05:34 PM   #23072

Honestly I’d probably say cash deals and sign a waiver on liability.

I’m not shady at all I’d literally say here’s what everything is going to cost, here’s what I’m going to do, and this or that may happen but regardless I’m $70 an hour.

Don’t want it, perfect, good luck

Honestly even if I had to get a business licence etc. it seems like the demand is so high you could almost charge whatever you want. The problem is things accelerate then you’re bordering on a contractor
Old 07-30-2022, 06:45 PM   #23073

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
I’ll go in on it with you when you need a second hand. Zero experience, but I catch on quick. Lol
Old 07-30-2022, 08:55 PM   #23074
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

but all you did was make the hole bigger and neater

If you really did get heatstroke, watch that shit. It can hit you a few days after the exposure, and can be quite dangerous.
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2022, 09:39 AM   #23075

Yea think I was bordering on it, just been chilling last couple days since. Went home and my face was beat red but wasn’t sun burnt just over heated. Felt like 40 deg on that roof.