REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-01-2022, 03:55 PM   #23326
Old School RS

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,229 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
How do you guys do it to climb from one property to two?

Wife and I are going to move out of our condo next year into a townhouse, but trying to figure out how to make it financially work with both properties.
In my experience, people are overly focused on keeping the "old place" as a rental property when often that isn't the most efficient allocation of their resources.

My super biased opinion - if you and your spouse don't have fully funded RRSPs and TFSAs, you are far better to sell your old place and use some of the equity to top up all your tax-advantaged accounts in addition to providing the necessary equity for the new place.

Rental properties are not at all tax efficient compared to an RRSP or TFSA, not to mention the concentration risk of having a huge chunk of your net worth tied to one illiquid, highly correlated asset class.

-Mark
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2022, 04:07 PM   #23327
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
I’ll echo what others are saying gerbs. You should be very very proud of what you’ve accomplished so far. Very few young men would have that sort of financial discipline or vision to do what you are currently doing. Most are too busy trying to stick their dicks into as many things as possible or comparing themselves to fucktards on social media.

Even if you make a wrong turn here and there financially it’s okay. That’s life. Live and learn. My dumb ass went and bought a maserati at your age, stupid as shit. But I’d probably do it again if I could because I had a good time.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2022, 04:15 PM   #23328

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
wearing a purple velvet coat with feather hat.
Isn't this your track day outfit?
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2022, 04:37 PM   #23329
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
posting fake ads for real rent prices and amount of demand,
This is the wai

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2022, 04:37 PM   #23330
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 386 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Money does grow on trees and you don’t have to work for it if you already have enough of it. People aren’t very often earning their way to that number though, just being born into it for the most part.
Would you tell a kid from a fat family he will never be able to get in shape?

The same principles apply to finance or anything in life really

-be unhappy about something enough to change it, learn about the topic, commit action towards the topic, fail a bunch of times, then reflect back a few years later and be thankful for actually doing something about it.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2022, 05:05 PM   #23331
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,535 Times in 536 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 8 Posts
Gerbs, nothing to be down about bro. I wished I got that far along at your age.

If RS is still around in 10yrs, you'll probably laugh at how far you've come from that 26 yr old self from the sacrifices that you make today. Trust me, I've witnessed this first hand so many times with many members over the years
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2022, 05:50 PM   #23332
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Would you tell a kid from a fat family he will never be able to get in shape?

The same principles apply to finance or anything in life really

-be unhappy about something enough to change it, learn about the topic, commit action towards the topic, fail a bunch of times, then reflect back a few years later and be thankful for actually doing something about it.
Sounds like a bootstraps argument. Working out hasn't gotten harder over generations.
Some kids can't get in shape. Like it or not, not everything is achievable by everyone.
Nor did I say you cant be successful, there are varying degrees of success. If you cant acknowledge that more than ever, your financial success is determined by the opportunities that family money can provide for you, with the cost of schooling, your first home, etc in a place like Vancouver, you aren't watching. How is someone supposed to save 300k for a down payment without help? The money to start a business? To pay for university? These aren't a years salary for someone who has to do it themselves, it's 10.
Gerbs is 10 years younger than me. If he had the exact same financial upbringing, exact career path, exact spending habits as I did, his entry into the market would be exponentially harder than it was for me. That's a simple, quantifiable fact. I'm not telling someone to give up over it. I'm saying, that it should be acknowledged that the system has steamrolled in the wrong direction for providing opportunity for more people to be successful and there's a better solution to it than say, "well work harder" that unfortunately people push back against because they believe that younger generations just don't want to work or some bullshit.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 09-01-2022 at 05:59 PM.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2022, 06:11 PM   #23333
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Most are too busy trying to stick their dicks into as many things as possible or comparing themselves to fucktards on social media.
Dating in Van and having your own place is like tenfold better, the work was definitely worth it. I couldn't imagine having a Maserati at my age lol, I'd probably get depressed from that quick of a lifestyle creep. Even before 2022, I thought I'd never buy a new car because of value reasons but a car accident changed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
This is the wai
Most peeps would say you're a dick for that

Quote:
Gerbs is 10 years younger than me. If he had the exact same financial upbringing, exact career path, exact spending habits as I did, his entry into the market would be exponentially harder than it was for me. That's a simple, quantifiable fact. I'm not telling someone to give up over it. I'm saying, that it should be acknowledged that the system has steamrolled in the wrong direction for providing opportunity for more people to be successful and there's a better solution to it than say, "well work harder" that unfortunately people push back against because they believe that younger generations just don't want to work or some bullshit.
I think that comment gives me so much peace of mind because it feels like somebody understands the difficulty. The lack of acknowledgement from all parties make the success seemed severely downplayed. When I hit people around my age with the reality of how to afford housing, I always make sure to sympathize with them but also let them know that there really is no solution other than putting in the work lol. Complaining to each other won't solve the issue.

Other note, if I got into housing in 2010 instead of 2020. I think $530K in 2020 accounted for inflation in 2010 would be about $450K, which would put my at the new Oly Village condos. That'd be sweet, I imagine I'd upgrade to SFH by 2015 / 2016, since I'd probably hit my financial stride around that point.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 09-01-2022 at 06:24 PM.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2022, 06:29 PM   #23334

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
Doing well is being debt free with an investment property? Lol where the fuck did you grow up? British properties?
What's your definition of doing well?
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:30 PM   #23335

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Doing well is having a belly full of good food, a good woman to poke and going to sleep in your own bed with no worries in your head. Fuck this investment property shit, enough people think like that and that's how we're all in this mess.
I thought we were talking in the financial sense. If you're talking about happiness, then you're totally right.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:44 PM   #23336

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
What's your definition of doing well?
Not having to check your bank account balance when you want to do something you like.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2022, 07:01 PM   #23337

Quote:
Not having to check your bank account balance when you want to do something you like.
i knew a hundred east van whinos who did that, though they ended up going broke
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2022, 07:03 PM   #23338

Quote:
I grew up with a simple life with no crazy expensive hobbies or interests. We're talking board games, online games, sports you can play at the park, working out, walking, hiking locally, beach, cheap meals like pho or food court at aberdeen. Cheap or free stuff. The costs for those are so low that you seldom need to check your bank account balance.

In the last year, I tasted the fun stuff that costed money such as sim racing, golfing, jet skii's, boats, eating + drinking + partying, cars, music festivals, travelling, shooting, cooking with nicer ingredients, off-roading, the list can go on.

I realized that most things that are really fun cost money. But everyone around me tells me that should just have cheaper hobbies aka the stuff I listed prior. Which imo are not as mentally engaging skill wise and makes for a not as fun life.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2022, 07:04 PM   #23339

Quote:
Doing well is obviously subjective, but for me, it's more than not having to check your bank account when you want to do something you like. If I could push back a little here...

For example, my buddy and his girlfriend live in a small one-bedroom apartment where his rent is only $1000/month. He makes about $85k and his girlfriend makes about $60k.

They go on multiple big vacations a year (he just came back from a Mexico trip where they spend $8k), he drives a nice BMW 4 series, they go out to eat a lot, and they buy and wear nice clothing (lulu, aritzia, etc.). He buys and does what he wants.

I guess one could say they're doing well, but I don't see much planning for the future in his scenario. What happens if they want to start a family. Maybe my bar for "doing well" is too high.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2022, 07:09 PM   #23340
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I realized that most things that are really fun cost money. But everyone around me tells me that should just have cheaper hobbies aka the stuff I listed prior. Which imo are not as mentally engaging skill wise and makes for a not as fun life.
Jerry Seinfeld said it best here. "They're the biggest losers in the world, and I'm one of them."
Quote:
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2022, 07:17 PM   #23341

Quote:
Doing well is obviously subjective, but for me, it's more than not having to check your bank account when you want to do something you like. If I could push back a little here...

For example, my buddy and his girlfriend live in a small one-bedroom apartment where his rent is only $1000/month. He makes about $85k and his girlfriend makes about $60k.

They go on multiple big vacations a year (he just came back from a Mexico trip where they spend $8k), he drives a nice BMW 4 series, they go out to eat a lot, and they buy and wear nice clothing (lulu, aritzia, etc.). He buys and does what he wants.

I guess one could say they're doing well, but I don't see much planning for the future in his scenario. What happens if they want to start a family. Maybe my bar for "doing well" is too high.
Sounds like they are doing well.
Doing well today doesn’t mean doing well tomorrow necessarily. Doesn’t sound like they aren’t capable of making more money when that time comes though.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-01-2022, 08:07 PM   #23342

This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2022, 08:16 PM   #23343

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
I agree with this statement. To elaborate in westophers language, I have levels of "wealth" in relation to dining out, in ascending order:

- planning ahead to splurge on a "dinner date" with minimum two entrees and one drink per person
- planning ahead to splurge on a "dinner date" with minimum two entrees regardless of price and one drink per person
- the above, but on a random spontaneous weekend evening
- the above, but on a random spontaneous weeknight dinner
- the above, plus having one appetizer for two, or having one drink per person
- the above, plus a three course meal and/or 2-3 drinks per person
- the above plus a market-price seafood appetizer, or caviar/foie gras supplement, or single top wine pairing
- the above, but combination of the two or three
- tasting menu
- the above plus caviar/foie gras supplement, or single top wine pairing
- the above but wine pairing per person
- all of the above

Did I miss anything?
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2022, 08:50 PM   #23344

Quote:
i knew a hundred east van whinos who did that, though they ended up going broke
They didn’t check when they had to though.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-01-2022, 09:28 PM   #23345

Quote:
Sounds like they are doing well.
Doing well today doesn’t mean doing well tomorrow necessarily. Doesn’t sound like they aren’t capable of making more money when that time comes though.
Hmm interesting. That makes sense when you put it that way.

I guess it just doesn't seem wise to do that. Which is why I feel like that's not doing well.

adamn. RS always teaching me things.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2022, 09:39 PM   #23346
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I agree with this statement. To elaborate in westophers language, I have levels of "wealth" in relation to dining out, in ascending order:

- planning ahead to splurge on a "dinner date" with minimum two entrees and one drink per person
- planning ahead to splurge on a "dinner date" with minimum two entrees regardless of price and one drink per person
- the above, but on a random spontaneous weekend evening
- the above, but on a random spontaneous weeknight dinner
- the above, plus having one appetizer for two, or having one drink per person
- the above, plus a three course meal and/or 2-3 drinks per person
- the above plus a market-price seafood appetizer, or caviar/foie gras supplement, or single top wine pairing
- the above, but combination of the two or three
- tasting menu
- the above plus caviar/foie gras supplement, or single top wine pairing
- the above but wine pairing per person
- all of the above

Did I miss anything?
- being able to fly to another city just to eat at any restaurant (and being able to get a seat) would be the top for me. Friends of a friend do that… fly to another city for a weekend, can’t find a nice enough Uber so rent a limo to take them everywhere, drop $1k per meal, etc. incredible stories.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:41 PM   #23347
in the butt

Quote:
Completely unrelated to this thread, going off the rails boys....

But why did I see this video this morning, and now you post the above video

Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:48 PM   #23348
in the butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post

"........."

Did I miss anything?
Yeah, asking the person your out to dinner with, what color gt3 you should order off your phone while caviar is falling out of your mouth

This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2022, 10:12 PM   #23349
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,657 Times in 573 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
How do you guys do it to climb from one property to two?

Wife and I are going to move out of our condo next year into a townhouse, but trying to figure out how to make it financially work with both properties.
If you bought your condo 3+ years ago you'll easily be able to HELOC or refinance your way to your next property while keeping your old one. But if you bought in the last 2 years, it's gonna be hella tough to move up in the next 3-5 years.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:27 PM   #23350

Quote:
Hmm interesting. That makes sense when you put it that way.

I guess it just doesn't seem wise to do that. Which is why I feel like that's not doing well.

adamn. RS always teaching me things.
I think the population in general is not as calculated about the future.

If they can spend comfortably today and accidentally set aside 5 - 10% of income, they're happy and that's okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
If you bought your condo 3+ years ago you'll easily be able to HELOC or refinance your way to your next property while keeping your old one. But if you bought in the last 2 years, it's gonna be hella tough to move up in the next 3-5 years.
lol, aka you're fucked is what I read

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]