REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-19-2022, 07:27 PM   #23601
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
https://thecityoflougheed.com/rental/floorplans

Holy shit. New rental towers going up at Lougheed Mall and a 545sf 1 bedroom starts at $2550/mo. A 1000sf 3 bedroom starts at $3750. WTF?

News story about it: https://www.burnabynow.com/local-new...y-mall-5814657
I'm pretty sure my buddy was working on that tower.. I think he said they don't even have AC.. Paying that much and no AC... crazy.
Advertisement
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:57 PM   #23602
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Burnaby is also has the least to offer out of the burbs besides being close to Vancouver. Even Langley has more interesting stuff to do. Burnaby is the cactus club of the GVRD.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2022, 08:33 PM   #23603
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Burnaby is also has the least to offer out of the burbs besides being close to Vancouver. Even Langley has more interesting stuff to do. Burnaby is the cactus club of the GVRD.
The older I get, the more I realize most people are couch potatoes, and don't care for hobbies / activities

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2022, 08:39 PM   #23604

I truly have no idea why people spend the money to live here then. That's a shitload of stress for nothing.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2022, 11:18 PM   #23605

https://www.redfin.ca/bc/vancouver/5...home/175765867

My buddy is looking at this unit. How bad of an idea is living this close to Main and Hastings is it???

I guess it's far enough that it isn't as bad, but I still feel like it's pretty close to the hoards of homeless and druggies. What do you guys think?

edit; he's 33, really wants to move out of his parents house and this is within his price range and really likes the idea of being downtown.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:26 AM   #23606
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post

My buddy is looking at this unit. How bad of an idea is living this close to Main and Hastings is it???

I guess it's far enough that it isn't as bad, but I still feel like it's pretty close to the hoards of homeless and druggies. What do you guys think?

edit; he's 33, really wants to move out of his parents house and this is within his price range and really likes the idea of being downtown.
There's still a fair bit of "character" in that area - the corner of Carrall/Hastings is the scene of many police cars and ambulances. My friend used to live right by Carrall/Hastings (20 years ago) and would tell me about watching people shoot up in the alleys all the time - I don't think it's gotten better since then.

Maybe his definition of "downtown" needs to be extended? I think the city considers everything out to Broadway to be downtown and considering how those areas are changing it's going to feel like downtown.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:55 AM   #23607
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
If you don't mind getting stabbed and free tents in your front door. Also your car getting broken into I assume. Vancouver lifestyle
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:50 AM   #23608

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Failed 54 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
I've lived in Vancouver Fraserview for 10 years and honestly hated most of my time there. In the last few years when it was tenants galore and the already narrow streets had cars filling up on the daily, it was the last straw.

Sometimes, boring is good. Burnaby is still relatively similar to what it was when I grew up in Canada; minus the high rises. Location being a key seller, I'm a short drive away from the "interesting stuff". Isn't that why we have cars? My family sure as heck didn't move across the Pacific to live in another metropolis to commute on public transit and live inside a 500 sq ft box.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:01 AM   #23609

Burnaby is exactly what you just described you didn't want to live in, in many cases. If you can afford to live in a SFH in a nice neighbourhood there like north burnaby, it's great, however we are talking about the 500 sq ft boxes there, that are as expensive as every better place to live in the GVRD if that's what you are going to be living in. $1200/sq ft can get you a high rise in burnaby Metrotown area or a high rise in yaletown.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-20-2022, 09:05 AM   #23610

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
The older I get, the more I realize most people are couch potatoes, and don't care for hobbies / activities
Guilty as charged, other than walking the dog I work from home and leave my house once or maybe twice a week and it's usually one of three locations, grocery store, watch my son play football or meeting my friends or going out with my family for food/drinks. I'm turning into a hermit for sure.

I do need a hobby though, I should probably get back into motorcycles or something, at least I'd have something to tinker with in the winter and ride in the summer.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:09 AM   #23611
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Quote:

I grew up in and around Main and Hastings in social housing for a good portion of my childhood and into high school.

It was not good then. And it is no not better now. Nobody will visit him (at least I wouldn't) so he needs to accept that. If he can tough it out for a few years to experience this so-called Downtown lifestyle, go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:22 AM   #23612
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I grew up in and around Main and Hastings in social housing for a good portion of my childhood and into high school.

It was not good then. And it is no not better now. Nobody will visit him (at least I wouldn't) so he needs to accept that. If he can tough it out for a few years to experience this so-called Downtown lifestyle, go for it.
I don't know about "noone visiting him", unless his friends have some phobia of homeless people.

I think that building is almost far enough from main/Hastings. It's not great, but it's not horrible. I personally would not buy there. Noisy clubs nearby, loud drunk people fri-sat.

If he views the unit, he should sit around until an ambulance or po-po drive by, to hear if the windows are thick or not.
I live by science world, first responders are passing every 10-30 minutes, with the balcony door open, it's "loud", and with it closed, the noise is reduced by 80%, you get useto it.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:36 AM   #23613
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,196 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:

Is the parents home located in East Van?

If so there's the option to building a laneway house to live in.

EDIT:

Downside would be living close to parents and you don't build your own equity
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.

Last edited by TypeRNammer; 09-20-2022 at 09:52 AM.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:51 AM   #23614

His parents have a house in east van with a basement suite and a laneway house, but he wants to do his own thing and buy something for himself.

Yeah, I was telling him that area has only gotten more crowded since we were in highschool and even though it's further away from the action, there's still probably a lot of stragglers. he said he's going to walk the area more this week to get a better idea of the area.

I think $500k for a studio in that area is too much money. I would rather live in the brentwood area.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2022, 12:00 PM   #23615

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
I agree with this big time. We live right beside Brentwood and even with all the developments and "Amazing Brentwood" this area is still crap.

It's just way busier, way more balling whips and more copy/pasted sushi/bubble tea places.

No walkability, and nothing interesting to patronize. Earls, Browns, Joeys, and Cactus all spread out along a traffic light filled highway.

If this is considered the new "downtown", it's garbage.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2022, 12:40 PM   #23616
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
*raises hand* resident RS couch potato right here

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 01:20 PM   #23617

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
But browns Joey's Earls cactus is dt. at least there's no complimentary shootings at Brentwood
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 01:46 PM   #23618
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:

Just tell him to go hang out there for a few days - weekdays and weekends, during the day and during the night.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:23 PM   #23619
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
LOL at any "new downtowns" anywhere but the Downtown Peninsula. You can't just put a bunch of condo towers along a busy arterial road and call it the "new downtown". That goes for Broadway, Kingsway, Lougheed, etc.

Downtown needs employment centres believe it or not. A grid system of roads/transit, cultural institutions, and this needs to occur and grow organically. A bunch of developers selling you the next "downtown" or "next Yaletown" in Burnaby/Surrey/Langley is shoveling a bunch of horse manure into your mouth. That being said the closest things we have to a 2nd downtown in the Lower Mainland are probably North Van Lower Lonsdale and New West. Broadway in Mt. Pleasant has potential but it still has a long, long way to go.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 09-20-2022 at 02:29 PM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM   #23620
I STILL don't get it

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Living in the DTES for $500k?

That place doesn't look like it has air conditioning which means open windows would give him the smells and sounds of the area. There are also mentally ill people who would just screen at the top of their lungs when on drugs in that area.
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:08 PM   #23621

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I agree with this big time. We live right beside Brentwood and even with all the developments and "Amazing Brentwood" this area is still crap.

It's just way busier, way more balling whips and more copy/pasted sushi/bubble tea places.

No walkability, and nothing interesting to patronize. Earls, Browns, Joeys, and Cactus all spread out along a traffic light filled highway.

Not gonna lie, Viet Noodle Guy might be one of my favourite Viet restaurants in the city. Hoang Yen may be top, but the Chicken Pho at Viet Noodle Guy is pretty amazing. I haven't found a chicken pho that's better.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2022, 04:13 PM   #23622

Thanked 1,657 Times in 573 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:

At least metrotown (stilL) has a real functioning shopping mall and transit hub. Brentwood still looks like a place you just pass through while driving on Lougheed Highway.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2022, 05:12 PM   #23623

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:

I went there for the first time a month ago, it had a weird Vegas vibe where you kind of can't get your bearings where you are and it's just a bunch of buildings connected to each other.

Not a compliment coz I hate Vegas now, after having gone there 5+ times over a span of 2 years in my mid/late 20s for various work and vacation reasons.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback

Last edited by sonick; 09-21-2022 at 08:49 PM.
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2022, 05:42 PM   #23624
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I just love Small Victory country harvest bread
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2022, 08:45 PM   #23625

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I just love Small Victory country harvest bread
Lol small victory was the sole reason I went to Brentwood in the first place.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote