REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-25-2022, 08:40 AM   #24076
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
In my experience it has been standard. This is the 5th spot my wife had rented downtown in a condo from a resident for work and every person has always asked for a security deposit.
A security deposit for a parking stall?!???!
I'm on my 4th stall, only one person asked me to sign a "contract", and he was one paranoid weirdo.
No deposits otherwise.

If they don't have an actual reason to keep your deposit, it might be time to "spill" a gallon of oil on your old stall
Advertisement

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:53 AM   #24077
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
A security deposit for a parking stall?!???!
I'm on my 4th stall, only one person asked me to sign a "contract", and he was one paranoid weirdo.
No deposits otherwise.

If they don't have an actual reason to keep your deposit, it might be time to "spill" a gallon of oil on your old stall
Ha yea the deposit has always been for the for like whatever it would have costed to replace the fob if lost or broken. Generally hasn't been a big deal until now where they're refusing to return it making up reasons as they go.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 11:44 AM   #24078
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
It's definitely NOT an RTB matter.
You'll have to take it to small claims court to try to get your security deposit back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 12:29 PM   #24079
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,240 Times in 426 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
If strata there explicitly doesn't allow renting to non residents, nuclear option is reporting to the strata council that they're doing it.

Have to be careful who you report it to. In our building downtown, it turned out the security/concierge staff were the ones running the parking spot rentals.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 12:54 PM   #24080
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that was fast...

CHOA = Condominium Home Owner's Association of BC

https://choa.bc.ca/whats-happening/

You can find their news release on the Nov 25 link.
With the passing of BILL 44 –Building and Strata Statutes Amendment Act, 2022 strata
corporations across BC will no longer be able to enforce bylaws that prohibit or restrict rentals. Effectively
immediately, all rental bylaws are no longer enforceable.

Only age restriction bylaws of 55 and over that apply to occupancy are now enforceable with a
requirement to accommodate live in care givers or support persons.
This will be interesting to watch how this takes shape with investors now wanting to buy those previously undesirable no-rental strata units.

You'll have some no-rental strata owners finally able to rent their place out (intent of this new bill).

Then you have some no-rental strata owners' greatest fears come true, to share space with renters and to have investor owners who won't want to vote for strata upkeep.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2022, 01:10 PM   #24081
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I never understood those stupid age restricted communities either... if that isn't Karen living large I don't know what is.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:15 PM   #24082

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
What if you really really hate children but really really like geriatric sex ? That’s the best thing about these 55+ communities. I heard in these Florida retirement homes, stds/stis are rampant. Ethel was a prude for most of her life, now she takes it up the ass from Mr magoo 2x a week while flirting with other 500 club members over 5pm dinners.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2022, 01:35 PM   #24083
Performance Moderator

Haha well you can’t get pregnant anymore so bareback that shit all dayyyyy! Woooo!
Old 11-25-2022, 02:16 PM   #24084

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
It's definitely NOT an RTB matter.
You'll have to take it to small claims court to try to get your security deposit back.
I called and as expected it isn't which was obvious but now I can further call BS. This will be a hard fight but I'm pretty determined right now. The building definitely doesn't allow renting of spots to non residents no less too but nit sure I want to burn that bridge yet as my wife is still renting there but from someone else. If they decide to start enforcing it may end up affecting her.

Old 11-25-2022, 02:52 PM   #24085
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I never understood those stupid age restricted communities either... if that isn't Karen living large I don't know what is.
Seems odd they kept these age restricted buildings. Not sure why that's allowed.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 03:02 PM   #24086
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
I called and as expected it isn't which was obvious but now I can further call BS. This will be a hard fight but I'm pretty determined right now. The building definitely doesn't allow renting of spots to non residents no less too but nit sure I want to burn that bridge yet as my wife is still renting there but from someone else. If they decide to start enforcing it may end up affecting her.
For sure.

I mean if it isn't a lot of money, prolly easier to let it go.

Good luck with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 03:03 PM   #24087
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Keeping the 55+ restriction is to keep a segment of sub-market housing available for lower income seniors/pensioners.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2022, 03:04 PM   #24088
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Keeping the 55+ restriction is to keep a segment of sub-market housing available for lower income seniors/pensioners.
Oh, okay. that makes sense. I guess at that age, they can be quite vulnerable.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 03:28 PM   #24089
Performance Moderator

That does make sense thank you!
Old 11-25-2022, 03:51 PM   #24090
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,849 Times in 1,104 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Well that was fast...

CHOA = Condominium Home Owner's Association of BC

https://choa.bc.ca/whats-happening/

You can find their news release on the Nov 25 link.
With the passing of BILL 44 –Building and Strata Statutes Amendment Act, 2022 strata
corporations across BC will no longer be able to enforce bylaws that prohibit or restrict rentals. Effectively
immediately, all rental bylaws are no longer enforceable.

Only age restriction bylaws of 55 and over that apply to occupancy are now enforceable with a
requirement to accommodate live in care givers or support persons.
This will be interesting to watch how this takes shape with investors now wanting to buy those previously undesirable no-rental strata units.

You'll have some no-rental strata owners finally able to rent their place out (intent of this new bill).

Then you have some no-rental strata owners' greatest fears come true, to share space with renters and to have investor owners who won't want to vote for strata upkeep.
we talked about this a couple of pages ago

this affects us - we live in a 90% non rental building (strata laws did allow for 10% of ~80 units to be rented on a 5ish year waitlist)

I still can't really figure out what this has to do with helping the housing market. Our building is 100% occupied - this really doesn't put any more units into the market.

Even if I rent out my unit - I have to live somewhere. What's the difference?

This just seems like a windfall for investment owners. Why would we want to help this group?

Potential owner occupiers who looked for both a quieter lifestyle, and a possible purchase discount will get blown away in multiple offers by investors.

Just going further down the subscription based society slope I guess.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2022, 03:53 PM   #24091

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
For sure.

I mean if it isn't a lot of money, prolly easier to let it go.

Good luck with it.
Yea I mean it's $200 do I spend countless hours trying to go a legal route which also costs money filing fee for small claims is around $100 as well as trying to track down who I'm actually serving because I'm not even dealing with an owner it was some I think property managment type company but the whole time they contract out some 3rd party store fronts downtown where you go pick up the fobs so really I don't even have much info other than phone numbers and first names of various people I've been doing with. There's definitely possible a route of doing something super stupid too but the older me obviously says not worth getting arrested for something as dumb as $200 even though it does piss me off and I'm In the right.

This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2022, 04:12 PM   #24092

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
I would just make sure there’s a reason to keep my damage deposit at that point.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2022, 04:25 PM   #24093

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
You ruined my skanky seniors housings theory
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:56 PM   #24094
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
we talked about this a couple of pages ago

this affects us - we live in a 90% non rental building (strata laws did allow for 10% of ~80 units to be rented on a 5ish year waitlist)

I still can't really figure out what this has to do with helping the housing market. Our building is 100% occupied - this really doesn't put any more units into the market.

Even if I rent out my unit - I have to live somewhere. What's the difference?
The policy doesn't do anything dramatic in terms of actual units but it will help a bit - people who have moved in with their partners who couldn't rent out (or who want to), people who have relocated and don't want to sell, people who can't actually afford the place anymore for some reason etc. It's all stuff on the margins right now but it still helps.

I'm surprised Eby didn't roll out all of his proposed housing policies in one go - the stuff about legal secondary suites and 3 units on a single lot. He must have gotten a tonne of pushback on it and needs to refine it. Even those two policies are pretty small changes - legal secondary suites are hard to create in older houses and who the heck wants to put the work in to legalise a suite (mine is not legal but otherwise meets almost every standard to be legal)?
Old 11-25-2022, 05:23 PM   #24095

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
This could make units which were more desirable to be a home for someone more desirable to be an investment for someone. I understand the logic, but it could backfire huge. The problem should have been addressed 3 decades ago, by heavily taxing or even denying multiple properties being owned by a single owner, and especially by corporations, but politicians would never consider interrupting their own gravy train.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2022, 07:34 PM   #24096
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,760 Times in 2,314 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
You ruined my skanky seniors housings theory
Actually Std's tend to run rampant in old folks homes, that's what i've been told from care givers and nurses i've talked to that work in some of them.

Apparently these old folks got nothing to lose, and lots of them just sleep around with no protection. Crazy shit. Also mildly disturbing.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:34 PM   #24097
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,240 Times in 426 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Yea I mean it's $200 do I spend countless hours trying to go a legal route which also costs money filing fee for small claims is around $100 as well as trying to track down who I'm actually serving because I'm not even dealing with an owner it was some I think property managment type company but the whole time they contract out some 3rd party store fronts downtown where you go pick up the fobs so really I don't even have much info other than phone numbers and first names of various people I've been doing with. There's definitely possible a route of doing something super stupid too but the older me obviously says not worth getting arrested for something as dumb as $200 even though it does piss me off and I'm In the right.
Yeah that sounds like how it was when my wife was renting a spot downtown. Had a first name and a cell number and they managed a bunch of spots.

Last edited by Mikoyan; 11-25-2022 at 07:40 PM.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2022, 09:32 PM   #24098
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 356 Times in 87 Posts
housing prices, be it rent or buy, is affected by supply and demand. This policy will do shit all to prices if they don't find ways to increase supply.
Old 11-27-2022, 10:59 PM   #24099
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Saw somthing on instagram, it said every month more than 2000 people are moving to Surrey. At that rate you’d have to complete 2 high rises a month to create the supply to satisfy the demand. Good luck
Old 11-28-2022, 08:03 AM   #24100
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Saw somthing on instagram, it said every month more than 2000 people are moving to Surrey. At that rate you’d have to complete 2 high rises a month to create the supply to satisfy the demand. Good luck
That's not THAT bad for Surrey - between 2016 and 2021 (5 years) it grew by 50k people (10%) and that was the SLOWEST rate of growth they've seen since data started getting recorded in 1921. They've done 10-12k people/year since around 1981 and percentage wise have done 35% growth over 5 years recently. 24k new people is only a ~5% increase in a single year.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrey,_British_Columbia