REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:44 AM   #24126
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Even with a will you still will pay property transfer tax.

One or all of you has to have ownership of the house to avoid this
My understanding of this is that adding myself to my parents title would open me up to capital gains down the road b/c their home is not my principal residence and the proportion of ownership I'd have at that point would be taxable.

The alternative is that they sell the house before they pass and gift the money instead - both steps are tax free - but this assumes there's an opportunity to sell before they both pass (this is likely - many go into nursing homes or move in with the kids anyways).
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2022, 09:02 AM   #24127
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
My understanding of this is that adding myself to my parents title would open me up to capital gains down the road b/c their home is not my principal residence and the proportion of ownership I'd have at that point would be taxable.

The alternative is that they sell the house before they pass and gift the money instead - both steps are tax free - but this assumes there's an opportunity to sell before they both pass (this is likely - many go into nursing homes or move in with the kids anyways).
My understanding as well, in the case of my mother in law and my wife the market was very flat at the time and she had only been in that home for 1 year, if there were any gains it was minimal so the Capital Gains thing wasn't a big deal at that time.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2022, 02:41 PM   #24128
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post

Dumb question but who's the expert on all things this? Accountants?

I wanted to look into a scenario where a parent has their name on title with their kid and husband but the parent doesn't live there. The parent is now looking to buy a place and wanted to know what the best course of action is i.e. have their name on 2 titles. Remove his name from the kids place etc

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:49 PM   #24129
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
^^ it's hard to remove a name if there is debt as the remainder owners has to be able to afford the debt themselves. So most of they time if they could afford it themselves in the first place the parents wouldn't be added on.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:47 PM   #24130
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Dumb question but who's the expert on all things this? Accountants?
Slumlords

Because landlords know how to maximize real estate profits by knowing the rules

In my experience with accountants, it's hit and miss. Since there is so many categories of accountants, one will go cross eyed when It comes to real estate, and another one will save you 8000$ on taxes per year.

Sure any accountant can look up the laws and regulations, and get you answers, but at the end of the day, you want an accountant that primarily does real estate + family mixed real estate.

You can find out real quick know good they are, by asking some very basic questions over the phone. If their answers are "uhh uhmmmm il find out for you" vs "yes clause 14.8 of xyz let's you do this", you know who to pick.

On the other end, finding an accountant that has your best interest, and has great communication is the other half of the battle

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2022, 04:19 PM   #24131
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 3,989 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 32 Posts
I'm sure every lawyer/accountant who goes "yes, you have a case cause of XYZ" knows exactly what they're doing.... That is, they're milking you for everything you got and you don't even know it.

They wow you with the words, you think they know their shit, then you eat up everything they put in front of you. But "Hey, I have a lawyer/accountant, they're really good!"

bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:34 PM   #24132
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,510 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Just got my CPA and assuming every accountant knows real estate taxes is like going to a costco tire mechanic and asking them to do paintless dent repair.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2022, 11:56 PM   #24133
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 356 Times in 87 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I was told although there's no inheritance tax in Canada, the children are still subject to tax on property gains of the estate if it is inherited. IE. if you inherit your parents' house after they pass, you will have to pay the capital gains tax on increase in value from the day they bought the place to the day you inherit/sell it.

Best way I was told to legally avoid this is have your parents transfer the title prior to death, or sell it and gift you the proceeds.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:00 AM   #24134
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
The idea of selling it and gifting the proceeds is pretty dicey imo. It’s like trying to time the r/e market, you’re trying to time your parents death.

Unless they are in good enough health to facilitate the sale, or they have a terminal illness which allows enough time to sell (which, would be pretty shitty to try and rush a sale of the house a dieing person is living in) it’s pretty tenuous to attempt it
Old 12-02-2022, 12:17 AM   #24135

Failed 356 Times in 87 Posts
well i guess it depends on the family situation. If kids and parents are open enough to talk about this and are not going to scam each other, it's a very viable option to save a ton of unnecessary tax.

If there's a shady kid with no integrity, then the idea of them having to pay some government tax after the passing of the parents is not a concern anyway.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:31 AM   #24136
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I think when the time rolls around there aren’t too many people who willingly leave their house for a retirement home etc.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:11 AM   #24137

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
Guys... first off you'll need a tax lawyer not an accountant.

Secondly, and I'm sure this was stated before. Capital gains is taxed at 50% of the appreciation. IE $500k appreciation. $250k is actual taxed

Third there's a few ways to help bypass Capital Gain Tax.
1) make it your primary residence as someone said
2)incorporate a company and sell to the company (you end up owning shares of the company while the Inc company will "own" the property
3) now this I'm not sure how it works but there a process called stepped up in basis. Property gets put into trust and the heir gets added as a beneficiary. Once again, not sure how that avoids the tax??
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2022, 05:55 AM   #24138

https://zinatikay.com/how-transfer-r...rent-to-child/
https://www.rbcwealthmanagement.com/...-your-children

Just a couple random blog posts about this topic for Canadians.

I didn't read both thoroughly but they pretty much say the same things - you have 4 options to go with and it seems like "Transfer on death" is the most effective one. Putting your child's name on your title when they have a principal residence opens you up to tax issues. Gifting might also create tax issues due to the size of the gift (I'm not sure what the rules are on what gift size has to be reported though).

Edit: One more article that's an easier read: https://www.moneysense.ca/save/taxes...ur-kids-for-1/

From just those 3 articles I'd say the best paths if you already have a principal residence are: transfer on death, gifting, deal with it in probate. If you don't have a home of your own then adding your name to the title makes sense as you can claim it as your principal residence and avoid any cap gain taxes.

Last edited by supafamous; 12-02-2022 at 06:01 AM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:30 AM   #24139
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
i wonder if the kids have a primary residence, can they put it in the names of grandkids instead, even if they're under 18

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #24140

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i wonder if the kids have a primary residence, can they put it in the names of grandkids instead, even if they're under 18
I think there was a line in there somewhere that said the tax hit would fall on the original owner till the kids turned 18. I'm not sure how that works though.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:07 PM   #24141

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
I've heard of the corporation one, but then that's assuming the property has no debt, and it's not cheap to start and keep a corporation, I believe few thousand a year? As I'm not sure if banks will lend on a corporation that makes no income plus corporate interest rates are higher than personal rates.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 04:30 PM   #24142

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
Do people actually go to low-rise building open houses and complain about views? I'm thinking if they want a view, then they should be going to a high-rise. I listed my place for sale, I'm in the middle spot of a low-rise. RE told me the people that showed up had concerns about "views". Yeah sure there's another building built right beside, but I'm not sure what kinda view they are expecting from a low-rise and also at the price point I'm selling for.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2022, 06:52 PM   #24143

Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,318 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Do people actually go to low-rise building open houses and complain about views? I'm thinking if they want a view, then they should be going to a high-rise. I listed my place for sale, I'm in the middle spot of a low-rise. RE told me the people that showed up had concerns about "views". Yeah sure there's another building built right beside, but I'm not sure what kinda view they are expecting from a low-rise and also at the price point I'm selling for.
People ask/comment/complain about the dumbest things, I learned first hand when I was selling my townhouse.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:29 PM   #24144
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
I’m on the third floor of a low rise and have a view. It depends on the place and the cost. If I’m paying more money for the view today, I’d better still have it tomorrow or I’m not interested.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 08:14 PM   #24145

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Failed 335 Times in 77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Buyer and your RE will find any 'flaws' with your home to try to use it as leverage to get you to sell your home faster and/or at a lower cost.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 08:23 PM   #24146
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,240 Times in 426 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
People ask/comment/complain about the dumbest things, I learned first hand when I was selling my townhouse.
Feedback on a condo we were selling: " didn't like there was no parking stall"

Listing specifically said, "No Parking stall"
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2022, 09:30 PM   #24147
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
On the topic of Realtors saying literally anything for a sale:

I had an offer on my condo a few years back, keep in mind the offer was 30k above what I paid, not to mention the bathroom Reno, some new appliances, etc.

I posted it for sale due to the methhead living above me, I will never buy a wood frame + non top floor unit ever again

Realtor: the offer is below your ask, but at least you can make a quick profit on the unit, it's a great deal for you!"
Me "tell me how I'm making a profit with your offer"
Realtor: "well I see you bought it 6 months ago for X, and we are offering you Y (30k more), so thats an easy 15k for 6 months after all your costs"
Me "So your telling me the bathroom renovation did it's self, the appliances magically look brand new, I don't need to pay you a commission, and all the legal costs of buying and selling are free?"
Realtor "iiiii uuuuhhh ummmmm well"
Me "click"

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2022, 10:49 PM   #24148

Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,318 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
On the topic of Realtors saying literally anything for a sale:

I had an offer on my condo a few years back, keep in mind the offer was 30k above what I paid, not to mention the bathroom Reno, some new appliances, etc.

I posted it for sale due to the methhead living above me, I will never buy a wood frame + non top floor unit ever again

Realtor: the offer is below your ask, but at least you can make a quick profit on the unit, it's a great deal for you!"
Me "tell me how I'm making a profit with your offer"
Realtor: "well I see you bought it 6 months ago for X, and we are offering you Y (30k more), so thats an easy 15k for 6 months after all your costs"
Me "So your telling me the bathroom renovation did it's self, the appliances magically look brand new, I don't need to pay you a commission, and all the legal costs of buying and selling are free?"
Realtor "iiiii uuuuhhh ummmmm well"
Me "click"
Wait, your realtor, or the buyers? If it's yours then he's shitty.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 04:20 AM   #24149
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Ahhh yes… Vancouver Realtors. One of our favourite topics on RS. Can you plz try NZ realtors and let us know if they are 1) hot 2) competent

I don’t mind them if they all look like the bimbos from selling sunset
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:42 AM   #24150

Thanked 2,510 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
Buyer and your RE will find any 'flaws' with your home to try to use it as leverage to get you to sell your home faster and/or at a lower cost.
I don't think that really matters as 90% of sellers go into the sale knowing what they want to sell it for.

Was eavesdropping at a 2BR 2BA open house, the buyers were complaining how the cabinets looks outdated, it's a 2005 unit that's priced at $700K. The realtor advised that there's a brand new build next door for for $1.1M +GST

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote