REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-05-2023, 11:39 AM   #24351
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Well in my situation, I was getting mail with the gf's name on them, so I think that would give me some leverage if it came to that. I mean she basically changed her address at that point.
Yea.. kinda stupid that the mail is what gives you the leverage as opposed to her actually being there.

She could spend 14+ days a month or whatever it is legally under the tenancy branch without your agreement but she was dumb enough to get mail sent there which would shoot her in the foot under any legal situation
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2023, 11:49 AM   #24352
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Note to self: do not set up a separate mailbox for tenants. Instead filter through all the mail.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2023, 12:12 PM   #24353
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
For what it's worth I think this is a bullshit by-law that reeks of privilege/discrimination - poor people often don't have this kind of choice. When my parents help immigrate my grandparents and my mom's siblings we were 10 people to a 3 bedroom house. Was it crowded? Yeah but it sure beat what they were living in back over in HK. Was it dangerous or unsafe? Nope.

This kind of by-law should be stricken from the books or modified upwards significantly especially considering the housing crisis.
It's a fire code bylaw that some stratas are starting to implement. I can't say how many percentage wise had adopted it, but personal experience 1/3 I've seen it
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:31 PM   #24354
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Yea.. kinda stupid that the mail is what gives you the leverage as opposed to her actually being there.

She could spend 14+ days a month or whatever it is legally under the tenancy branch without your agreement but she was dumb enough to get mail sent there which would shoot her in the foot under any legal situation
I've rented out to about 7 tenants over the years, so I've been lucky with a good track record. All of them have been great except this one, which relatively, is not even that bad... considering he still paid on time.

One advice is that I do intentionally look for "dumb" tenants that don't really know what they're doing. I've had potential tenants come in, and based on the questions and how they talk, they sound like "veteran" renters, where they know all their legal rights, and sound like they'll stick it to you the second something goes wrong. I reject those. I'm not saying if you're an experienced renter, you don't deserve to rent or something. But honestly, I'm a newbie landlord too.. as in I don't have experience dealing with legal bullshit.

At the end of the day, I know I'm a good reasonable landlord and can vouch for myself, and all I want is someone that will just pay me on time and not be a "Karen" or find loopholes in the tenancy agreement. My current tenant is probably the best one I've had so far... a couple weeks back when we had the dump of snow. I was awoken by the sound of scraping outside. I look outside the window and see my tenant shoveling the walkway and sidewalk.. wtf?? lol.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2023, 07:30 PM   #24355

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Does anyone here do month to month with their tenants? We do it cause we don't really see a material difference in making them sign a 1 year lease. We tell the potentials tenants that we do month to month only because if they're not happy we don't want to have to stay (and vice versa). We've found that our potential tenants all appreciate our level of candor about the relationship we're looking for.
Old 01-05-2023, 07:58 PM   #24356
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Yeah since the rule change, leases seem like they give very little benefit.
I mean technically it's to guarantee that the unit will be rented for the year but the rules make it easy for the tenant to break the lease with very little repercussions, especially in this rental market.

IE: If the tenant breaks the lease, they'd be responsible for any loss of rent for the remainder of the lease *if you can't re-rent it out* or any difference in rental cost if you have to re-rent at lower rate (for the remainder of the lease).
But you actually have to actively try to actually re-rent it.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:04 PM   #24357
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,240 Times in 426 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
It's a fire code bylaw that some stratas are starting to implement. I can't say how many percentage wise had adopted it, but personal experience 1/3 I've seen it
It's probably informally referred to as the 'Emily Yu' rule in North Vancouver.
She's the one who turned a 3 BR townhouse into a 15 bed hostel. Had the unit sold by court order, and got arrested claiming the unit was still hers.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...jail-1.6627634
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:17 PM   #24358
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
So is she back running other hostels after her 30 day detention?

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:17 AM   #24359
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Note to self: do not set up a separate mailbox for tenants. Instead filter through all the mail.
i have a mailbox in front of their door, so i check all the mail in the main box and put theirs in their box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
It's probably informally referred to as the 'Emily Yu' rule in North Vancouver.
She's the one who turned a 3 BR townhouse into a 15 bed hostel.
too early in the morning, i read that as brothel at first

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2023, 08:58 AM   #24360
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
too early in the morning, i read that as brothel at first
Glad I'm not alone... and it wasn't early when I read it
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:08 PM   #24361
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone here do month to month with their tenants? We do it cause we don't really see a material difference in making them sign a 1 year lease. We tell the potentials tenants that we do month to month only because if they're not happy we don't want to have to stay (and vice versa). We've found that our potential tenants all appreciate our level of candor about the relationship we're looking for.
I do 1 year, then afterward, just let it run month to month, cause too lazy to do more paperwork.

For me, it's just to weed out people who aren't serious enough and thinking long term. Just a peace of mind when I know the tenants intend to stay at least a year. If shit happens and the lease needs to be broken, then shit happens. I honestly don't even know what the procedure is... Never had to deal with that. lol.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2023, 02:03 AM   #24362
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
The wife did a 5 months fixed lease then month to month contracts with our last tenants. She doesn’t want to deal with sublet and assignment. There is a rule saying “A landlord can’t unreasonably refuse a sublet or assignment of a fixed-term tenancy agreement if there are six months or more remaining in the term.”

We were pretty reasonable landlords, we would rather they end the lease early, than have the tenants find some weirdo to take over the condo just to fulfill the contract.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:44 AM   #24363
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I've rented out to about 7 tenants over the years, so I've been lucky with a good track record. All of them have been great except this one, which relatively, is not even that bad... considering he still paid on time.

One advice is that I do intentionally look for "dumb" tenants that don't really know what they're doing. I've had potential tenants come in, and based on the questions and how they talk, they sound like "veteran" renters, where they know all their legal rights, and sound like they'll stick it to you the second something goes wrong. I reject those. I'm not saying if you're an experienced renter, you don't deserve to rent or something. But honestly, I'm a newbie landlord too.. as in I don't have experience dealing with legal bullshit.

At the end of the day, I know I'm a good reasonable landlord and can vouch for myself, and all I want is someone that will just pay me on time and not be a "Karen" or find loopholes in the tenancy agreement. My current tenant is probably the best one I've had so far... a couple weeks back when we had the dump of snow. I was awoken by the sound of scraping outside. I look outside the window and see my tenant shoveling the walkway and sidewalk.. wtf?? lol.
I agree … but then you will need to deal with all the dumbass

One of the tenant asked me to replace the washer because her clothing came out stinky after the wash. Apparently, she left her clothing inside the washer for hours before she put them in the dryer … Go figure !!!

But I would rather deal with the dumbass over the smartass any day.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 08:21 AM   #24364
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
I don't do residential except a relatively short sting with a multifamily complex a few years ago, but given the current RTB rules, it makes very little sense to go on a term contract.

Term contracts are usually used to guarantee x amount of rent for the predetermined time period. However, with GVR's rent in constant upward fluctuation, why would any LL want to lock in for a year?

Moving is not cheap. We are a society where most people horde stuff one way or the other. For god sake, we have so many storages for rent so that people can horde stuff. Tenants aren't going to move just because suddenly the unit 2 blocks down is $50 cheaper a month.

And if you are in the market to flip properties (buy low, hold and sell when price is higher), a property is a much easier sell with a m-t-m clause. When discussing with a buyer who wants to occupy: we can deliver it vacant. When discussing with a buyer who wants tenant: the tenant is willing to stay.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:49 AM   #24365

Yeah the benefits from a fixed lease now definitely favour tenants more than landlords.

Like if a tenant wants to break, all they're potentially on the hook for is lost rent revenue, you can't force them to stay.

But I can't think of any valid reasons a landlord could use if they're the ones who wanted to break and you can't force them out (not counting eviction for cause, but that makes no difference if tenant is on lease or month to month).
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 01-07-2023, 08:59 AM   #24366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
There is a rule saying “A landlord can’t unreasonably refuse a sublet or assignment of a fixed-term tenancy agreement if there are six months or more remaining in the term.”
That's just it, a sublet can be refused without issue if the tenant is month-to-month. Which means asking for a fixed term at all is kind of pointless.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Last edited by Great68; 01-07-2023 at 09:13 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2023, 12:05 PM   #24367

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Interest on damage deposits now.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 01:01 PM   #24368

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Interest on damage deposits now.
For all you rich RS landlords

https://www.cheknews.ca/b-c-landlord...-2008-1130476/
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2023, 01:45 PM   #24369
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Time to Jack up rent then
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2023, 02:37 PM   #24370

This has been around for quite some time, just was never a thing the past 10 yrs due to low rates
Old 01-07-2023, 03:28 PM   #24371
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Time to Jack up rent then
Most people I know who are landlords do not raise rent. I've concluded it comes down to them not wanting to be confrontational. Their property taxes have increased, their mortgage rates have gone up, their utilities have gone up, yet they are still afraid to raise rent a measly 2%...

And most renters won't even know of this interest rate deposit thing anyway... it's peanuts. 2% on a $2k deposit is only $40 a year....
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 04:31 PM   #24372
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Most people I know who are landlords do not raise rent. I've concluded it comes down to them not wanting to be confrontational. Their property taxes have increased, their mortgage rates have gone up, their utilities have gone up, yet they are still afraid to raise rent a measly 2%...
Before the pandemic, I can see how a reasonable landlord might not want to raise rent on a good (residential) tenant. But in the pandemic era, when costs have risen so much, it would be insane to not raise rent, esp when the increase is only limited to such a measly amount.

Even with a maximum allowed rent increase, I doubt it can cover the increased costs for the landlord with most residential rental suites.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:12 PM   #24373
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 93 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Specifying a guest "duration limit" has already been ruled an unconscionable term in past precedent, and would not be enforceable:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...ring-tenancies
Telling tenant to not have a guest 364 out of 365 days is apparently not allowed as long as they dont have mail, keys, move significant belongs over, etc

I currently have a tiny 400sqft 1 bedroom suite rented to a family of 3 (parents + 1 toddler). A new baby is incoming and their inlaws are coming from overseas to help out a "month". Even though my addendum says max 3 occupants, guests dont apply and "month" can turn to "months".

I emailed RTB for clarification and will report back whenever they reply
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 12:33 PM   #24374

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
4 adults and two babies in 400sqft? damn that's tight
blkgsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 12:41 PM   #24375
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,849 Times in 1,104 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts
lot of landlords in this thread
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote