REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-22-2023, 02:13 PM   #24576
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post
https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2746337/3...-Vancouver-BC/

Talking about multi-family units... this house has:
- 3 or 4 bedrooms for the main unit
- 2 or 1 bedroom basement suite
- Another 1 bedroom basement suite
- A 2 bedroom laneway home
The saddest part is not that we have came to this. It’s the fact that even if you rent everything out at the higher end of market rent, one might still not be cash flow positive.
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2023, 04:13 PM   #24577
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Would you be able to share your rate?
5.29% for 5 year.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:47 PM   #24578
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
The saddest part is not that we have came to this. It’s the fact that even if you rent everything out at the higher end of market rent, one might still not be cash flow positive.
That's just tier A cities no matter where you are

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2023, 05:19 PM   #24579
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
So I went to an open house today in Richmond for funzys. Price range was 3.5 million dollars on camsell road. Not only did it have like 5 groups of chinamen lined up outside to view but I couldn’t even find parking remotely close to the damn house.

Recession ? Home prices dropping ? I call bullshit.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2023, 06:03 PM   #24580
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,657 Times in 573 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
So I went to an open house today in Richmond for funzys. Price range was 3.5 million dollars on camsell road. Not only did it have like 5 groups of chinamen lined up outside to view but I couldn’t even find parking remotely close to the damn house.

Went to brentwood open house, tons of interest in 1M+ 850sq ft condos. Slower than 5 years ago? Probably. Will they sell out? Probably.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:11 PM   #24581

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 73 Posts
i think the majority of us are home owners here so hopefully its bs. But i kinda gauge how the market is doing by what the prices in my TH complex in Surrey is going for. I think in the spring, list price was as high as 1.1mil and selling for 1.25mil. Thats what i believe was the All Time High. It settled around the 950k list price by the end of summer. Today i noticed there was an open house and i looked up thr price and it was listed for 780k... so it seems like its dropping alil...
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:47 PM   #24582
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,431 Times in 486 Posts
Failed 243 Times in 94 Posts
Quote:

Maybe they're looking for a deal,

7780 eperson road Richmond sold at a 500k loss
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:18 PM   #24583
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Everything is relative if you're swapping sell high, buy high, buy low sell low. Unless you're thinking of moving the current value shouldn't matter. In 6 months when the rates finally chill out the market should stabilize. I mean the Ukrainian refugees and immigrants need to live somewhere. Unless they choose that free water front crab park
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:47 PM   #24584
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
The refugees are all going to Manitoba and Regina

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2023, 09:58 PM   #24585

I’m hoping the prices drop a bit so we can buy something interesting but every house I see has little crappy things that make me question the build quality. Like ikea curtain & rods on 3 million dollar house, or mismatching appliances, or Home Depot vanity sets in most of the bathrooms. It’s frustrating as all hell.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:16 PM   #24586
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,249 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
I’m hoping the prices drop a bit so we can buy something interesting but every house I see has little crappy things that make me question the build quality. Like ikea curtain & rods on 3 million dollar house, or mismatching appliances, or Home Depot vanity sets in most of the bathrooms. It’s frustrating as all hell.
Maybe I’m pointing out the obvious, but if you don’t like anything that’s out there, have you considered doing a custom build yourself? It’s not an easy journey but at least you’ll get what you (mostly) want…
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:53 PM   #24587
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,535 Times in 536 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 8 Posts
went to two open houses in the past 2 weeks. Older detached homes but sitting on double lots. one in Poco (1.170) and one in Coquitlam (1.298). Both had multiple offers already before the open house even though they're priced as they should be and were not under listed. Euro luxury vehicles lined the block. Seems like the new thing is getting the offers started as the listing goes live from private showings. The initial open house is just to get backup offers. Might have something to do with the cooling off period and ppl just putting an offer in... Was use to most agents telling everyone to wait for the open house, no private showings and then put in offers on this date only, etc
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:16 PM   #24588
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
My buddy has a triplex fully rented out, and right now with current rates he's negative $5k monthly

Quote:

Buyers lining up for 3.5mil houses don't need to worry about recessions. They got the money no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post
went to two open houses in the past 2 weeks. Older detached homes but sitting on double lots. one in Poco (1.170) and one in Coquitlam (1.298). Both had multiple offers already before the open house even though they're priced as they should be and were not under listed. Euro luxury vehicles lined the block. Seems like the new thing is getting the offers started as the listing goes live from private showings. The initial open house is just to get backup offers. Might have something to do with the cooling off period and ppl just putting an offer in... Was use to most agents telling everyone to wait for the open house, no private showings and then put in offers on this date only, etc
Cooling off period aka Rescission Period, has a 0.25% fee attached if a buyer decides to pull their accepted offer. I'm not sure how many of them are willing to pay a fee just to put an offer in.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 05:47 AM   #24589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Maybe I’m pointing out the obvious, but if you don’t like anything that’s out there, have you considered doing a custom build yourself? It’s not an easy journey but at least you’ll get what you (mostly) want…
That’s a rabbit hole I rather not go down. Will likely lead to divorce. Our lot is barely over 6000sqft so the new house will be barely 3000sqft interior and that’s just not big enough for me and the wife. We need minimum 3600sqft in order for the house to have enough space and the exterior to have that “grand” feel she’s looking for.

First world problems man.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:53 AM   #24590

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
I thought the classification of Grande in Vancouver is a box with some pillars on the outside? Lol

Saying that, if you build a new “Green House,” the build envelopes are quite opened up a bit and may help you out in your situation. For Vancouver at least.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:49 AM   #24591

^thats vancouver for sure. One of the reasons why we hate vancouver properties. At least in Richmond you get that lousy "L" shape cookie cutter mansion that works great for car storage (3 in the garage, and then 3-4 outside).

She likes the looks of those L shaped mansions so thats what we are aiming for.

I was actually researching prefab w/ steel structure as it seems they are able to do everything in an controlled environment and then just ship to site and erect quickly
but i got scared off because it seems like nobody does this. Also shes not a huge fan of modern design and thats pretty much all they do.

https://bonestructure.ca/en/
Old 01-23-2023, 07:50 AM   #24592
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Steel structured homes don’t work in this climate, that’s why they aren’t common here

There’s a thing called inside rain or reverse condensation that happens where it’s basically raining in your attic/insulated spaces because it’s almost
Impossible to control the temperature and humidity when you have nothing but steel trusses and framing
Old 01-23-2023, 08:02 AM   #24593

i didnt know that. thanks!

I saw that these dudes built quite a bit in BC so i didnt even bother researching about the pro/cons of steel structure. I just assumed its better than wood and with all the horrible framers in GVRD, it sounded like a better idea.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:19 AM   #24594

I’ve only seen 1 home like this ever and it’s in my parent’s neighborhood. Steel everything, studs, trusses, joists, etc.

It may be possible but like a flat roof, it’s probably not worth the risk
Old 01-23-2023, 09:04 AM   #24595
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 23 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Steel structured homes don’t work in this climate, that’s why they aren’t common here
Isn't it just because steel structured homes are significantly more expensive than wood ones?

Quote:
There’s a thing called inside rain or reverse condensation that happens where it’s basically raining in your attic/insulated spaces because it’s almost
Impossible to control the temperature and humidity when you have nothing but steel trusses and framing
A modern home should utilizes a combination of vapor retarders, air sealing, HVAC, and insulation to control the interior's air quality, temperature and humidity. Those seem to be independent whether it is a steel structured or a wooden one. Is there a specific reason why you can't properly condition a steel structured home?
stylez2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:21 AM   #24596

I have done a few commercial projects with steel frames and I will offer my 0.02.

Steel frames are usually easier to maintain, cheaper (overall) and much quicker (main reason why it's cheaper) to build than wood frames because of its natural properties. It is also extremely stronger than wooden frame buildings allowing much more open design as the need for weight-bearing walls is much less likely given the same dimension since it's not only stronger, it's also lighter (wood vs. steel frame) for the same load.

However, its natural property also causes problems. Steel is an incredibly efficient heat/cold conducting agent compared to wood. And therefore, in our climate, special attention needs to be taken into consideration in order to create energy-efficient homes or buildings.

The usual step is to create a barrier or some sort to cut the transfer at some point. And wall/roof insulation is usually added as well as an electronically controlled venting system to control the condensation issue along with a proper vapor barrier. Nevertheless, there aren't many things that you'd do to steel frame building that you wouldn't for wood frame.

It is true that it's harder to find people who know their way around steels. But with the surge in lumber prices in the last few years, steel framing is becoming very competitive and even in some cases cheaper to build because it can hold so much more weight. You can even add some H steel beams to achieve some extreme load bearing and design that would otherwise be very difficult with wooden structure.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:25 AM   #24597

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylez2k4 View Post
Isn't it just because steel structured homes are significantly more expensive than wood ones?

A modern home should utilizes a combination of vapor retarders, air sealing, HVAC, and insulation to control the interior's air quality, temperature and humidity. Those seem to be independent whether it is a steel structured or a wooden one. Is there a specific reason why you can't properly condition a steel structured home?
Wood doesn’t conduct heat or cold like steel does. So people build these homes with steel trusses supporting a metal roof, how do you go about insulating enough or creating barriers to control temperature fluctuations.

As hehe said, it gets done, and people do it. But people I know who are high up into building sciences and things like waranties, insurance etc. don’t want anything to do with these fully steel homes

The way homes are built now yes, there are a lot of factors to add controls to these environments, you could have heaters, condensers, etc. in spaces that need them. But really, to what end.

My house is 110 years old, there’s no vapour barrier, there’s no temperature regulation in attic spaces, there’s no interior positive pressure etc. and there’s never been an issue in its entire life it would seem. No mold, no rot, etc. because the house breathes. If water does get in it eventually dries out there isn’t a climate to create and trap condensation.

New builds are almost like this game of well yea, let’s build a “green” high Efficiency steel frame house. Now we need alllll this shit to make it function properly and healthy and all the upkeep that brings with it. On top of trusting whoever is building it is actually doing it correctly

Last edited by Hondaracer; 01-23-2023 at 09:30 AM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:41 AM   #24598
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 23 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Wood doesn’t conduct heat or cold like steel does.
I know this but I don't believe modern homes rely on wood itself to provide insulation. The wood is just the structure and other aspects of the building envelope provides the conditioning.

Quote:
So people build these homes with steel trusses supporting a metal roof, how do you go about insulating enough or creating barriers to control temperature fluctuations.
Closed cell-spray foam is an option.

Quote:
The way homes are built now yes, there are a lot of factors to add controls to these environments, you could have heaters, condensers, etc. in spaces that need them. But really, to what end.

My house is 110 years old, there’s no vapour barrier, there’s no temperature regulation in attic spaces, there’s no interior positive pressure etc. and there’s never been an issue in its entire life it would seem. No mold, no rot, etc. because the house breathes. If water does get in it eventually dries out there isn’t a climate to create and trap condensation.
I understand, I live in a 83 year old home as well. However, the downside is that the home is very energy inefficient.
stylez2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:50 AM   #24599

Well yea, my place is fucking freezing lol

I dunno, in terms of material science I’d say the general consensus is that this is not the climate for those types of builds.

I know of a few cases I’ve been told about in Calgary where a homeowner thought a pipe had burst in their attic due to how much water was coming onto the ceiling of the top floor and when they investigated into the attic it was just the condensation dripping off the steel trusses and through the insulation.

Gotta remember, it’s not only about keeping the cold out, but also the hot air from getting into the attic space. Or even the heat radiation of the interior living spaces transferring into attic spaces
Old 01-23-2023, 09:53 AM   #24600

Quote:
Wood doesn’t conduct heat or cold like steel does. So people build these homes with steel trusses supporting a metal roof, how do you go about insulating enough or creating barriers to control temperature fluctuations.

As hehe said, it gets done, and people do it. But people I know who are high up into building sciences and things like waranties, insurance etc. don’t want anything to do with these fully steel homes

New builds are almost like this game of well yea, let’s build a “green” high Efficiency steel frame house. Now we need alllll this shit to make it function properly and healthy and all the upkeep that brings with it. On top of trusting whoever is building it is actually doing it correctly
Older homes with older lumber has this kind of benefit. But with new planted lumbers, the quality just isn't the same. Hence our switch to a full steel frame for the last few projects. All the beams are pre-cut and delivered on site clearly marked. All the contractors are doing is putting every beam to where they are supposed to be. Everything is always flat as there is no give in shape.

And one of the benefits that apply heavily in a commercial setting that I can see benefiting residential builds is that as there aren't many load-bearing walls, if any, re-configurations of walls and space is super simple.