REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:18 PM   #24901
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,535 Times in 536 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 8 Posts
Was about to low ball bid this today but there was no point. only 1 open house. 40 or so ppl through. 6 clean offers ranging from 1.250 to 1.3. Old mainlander couples circling outside with MLS listing print outs in hand like they were pokemon cards. I was out searching for place in 2016 and this feels like that all over again...

Recession? High interest rates? the lower mainland is the fucking cockroach in the real estate world

https://www.rew.ca/properties/485622...t-coquitlam-bc
Advertisement
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 07:33 PM   #24902
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,884 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 192 Times in 119 Posts
^^ I mean the mainlander couple most likely wasn't buying $10 Starbucks drinks, or Uber delivering their meals. they probably chopped chicken all their lives or washed dishes to make that money. Plus they are getting like 5% interest on their cash lately.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2023, 07:37 PM   #24903
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
I was talking to the guys at work here in NZ about housing, two points were brought up

One:
Most houses here are 700k, entry level 500k, top end brand new home 2mil. (B tier city, not capital)
One of the guys: maaaan imagine having enough money to buy a 2mil brand new home, who has that kind of money?!??
Another guy: Imagine paying 600k for a townhouse, with a small garage, or no garage.
Me: how about paying 10 million for a condo with 0 "garage"....
First guy: in vancouver?
Me: yeah, I think they go up to about 15mil....
First guy: no way

Opens phone, looks up most expensive condos in vancouver, sure enough, bunch of listings for 15-30mil.

The guys are all just dumbfounded looking at the endless listings for condos 10x the price of a nice house in NZ

Two:
The topic of foreign buyers snatching up houses here came up, one of the guys said the Chinese have 1% interest rates they call pull in china, and buy houses here like hotcakes.
I got home, looked it up, and it seems like china has not had a spike in interest rates, at all. It dropped during covid, and it kept dropping to this day.
There is no x2-x3 interest rate hikes in china like the rest of the world is seeing.
While 1% rates don't exist, the bank rate seems to be sizzling at 3%ish?

Rumor has it, the whole evergrande, plus housing problem is causing havoc, and the banks are trying to promote buying homes by keeping the rates low.

How much of this is true, I don't know, I'm sure 50% of this forum could chime in for better info.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2023, 07:40 PM   #24904
rb
Network Admin Team

5% interest only pays out at the end of a min 1-yr locked term and those types of offers weren't made available by the big banks until last October.. just as a fyi. I expect when those accounts are cashable that they'll be even more out about bidding
Old 02-13-2023, 07:55 PM   #24905
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,849 Times in 1,104 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post
Was about to low ball bid this today but there was no point. only 1 open house. 40 or so ppl through. 6 clean offers ranging from 1.250 to 1.3. Old mainlander couples circling outside with MLS listing print outs in hand like they were pokemon cards. I was out searching for place in 2016 and this feels like that all over again...

Recession? High interest rates? the lower mainland is the fucking cockroach in the real estate world

i would have said that house was built in the mid 80's. Zealty says 2010

Looks terrible.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:21 PM   #24906
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,362 Times in 1,793 Posts
Failed 114 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:

You and I were the same place.

The layout on the mainfloor was too weird for me. I can't wait to see the sell price.

The agent only printed 20 info sheets.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:35 PM   #24907
rb
Network Admin Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
You and I were the same place.

The layout on the mainfloor was too weird for me. I can't wait to see the sell price.

The agent only printed 20 info sheets.
I was there right at 2pm. Yeah, the main floor was definitely weird. Felt like a quarter of the place was basically dead space. Was only interested in the place only because of the area. Shitty townhouses further down on foster typically sell for 1.1-1.2 ish
Old 02-13-2023, 08:57 PM   #24908
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 13 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
I got home, looked it up, and it seems like china has not had a spike in interest rates, at all. It dropped during covid, and it kept dropping to this day.
There is no x2-x3 interest rate hikes in china like the rest of the world is seeing.

Rumor has it, the whole evergrande, plus housing problem is causing havoc, and the banks are trying to promote buying homes by keeping the rates low.

How much of this is true, I don't know, I'm sure 50% of this forum could chime in for better info.
China is doing the same as what other countries have done already--lowering interest rate to stimulate the economy. Had they not have done that, their housing market would shatter, simulating a 2008 housing crisis in China.

Interest rate low -> People borrow -> Buy Assets -> Cost of Assets rise (housing, equities).
Notice this equation is borrow/loans. They will probably face inflation too down the road.

Other developed countries are ahead of this curve (US, Canada) and we face inflation and are now jacking up rates to counteract this because high inflation is not good for anyone.

You guys need to know cheap credit is like a drug. It's likened to steroids. It artificially jacks up your economy but when you have to raise interest rates, you suffer withdrawals, and the symptoms are a recession.

Vancouver is very insulated from interest rates. There's a large amount of people that actually have cash and are waiting on the sides to jump in on a deal. But you can see the effects already in some markets such as Toronto, or the US.

The recession is coming, how it affects Vancouver real estate is probably pretty minor. But elsewhere, it's going to be bad.
Have any of you been dining out at restaurants recently? Popular places are still popular. But a lot of places are much less busy. I was at a restaurant last Wednesday and for an hour it was just myself and my gf, no other customers. 3 waiters, 5 chefs on Robson St.

With the way interest rates continue to rise (US), I have a contrary view that Canada may raise their rates one more time. Perhaps.
Lamboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 12:00 AM   #24909
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 356 Times in 87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post

Yes China interest rates are at 2-3% atm, but it's literally IMPOSSIBLE to get that money out of China. In fact, it's pretty hard to cross province buy property, so don't even think about cross country buying with the bank's money. Therefore the actual effect of foreign (Chinese) speculative investors in Canada or NZ real estate is quite low, unless they have immigrated. Even then there are strict restrictions in getting your money out of China.

After the recent chaos with lock downs, bad economy, bad politics etc, China has made it even more difficult (was already difficult pre-pandemic) to move money out to prevent a massive export of currency which could cause a quick collapse of the economy. Sure there are underground "exchanges" where you can pay a fee to get your money out, but that would deduct easy 10-15% from your money making the low 2-3% interest rates irrelevant.

The low interest to stimulate home buying is more targeted towards the domestic Chinese market. One factor is that a large part of China's economy is tied to realestate development, but the other major one is that the Chinese people has 70% of their wealth in real estate. Can you imagine with the current economic situation and the government does nothing to prevent a sudden collapse of the real estate market? 1.8 billion people would loose half their wealth, and there would be civil chaos and riots all over the country. Yes there is a massive bubble with crazy inflated housing value, but that is still better than 1.8billion angry people destroying the country.

Last edited by J____; 02-14-2023 at 12:07 AM.
J____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 07:23 AM   #24910
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,871 Times in 5,632 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Oh yah, people in China are having SO MUCH trouble getting their money to other places in the world. It's SO strict. Besides all the homes and luxury goods/vehicles, they didn't just buy Tsawwassen Mills or the Bentall towers in Vancouver or all the nursing homes in the province or anything.

68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2023, 07:45 AM   #24911
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,150 Times in 3,634 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
they are still able to get their money out. how? i dont friggin know, but they got their ways. Otherwise no god damn way they are buying up everything and anything locally.

Handbags? watches? cars? Real Estate? there's god damn lineups for all these things and all the lineups are full of these china fucks. I should know, im also the same China fuck lining up.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2023, 08:12 AM   #24912
CRS

Quote:
I was there right at 2pm. Yeah, the main floor was definitely weird. Felt like a quarter of the place was basically dead space. Was only interested in the place only because of the area. Shitty townhouses further down on foster typically sell for 1.1-1.2 ish
I was there right around 2pm as well.

I wonder if we actually bumped into each other. Did you talk to the agent about the heating system/attic?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 02-14-2023, 08:24 AM   #24913
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
If you're looking in Burquitlam, what about buying an actual detached in Glenayre?

Huge lots, rancher style homes with no prospect of subdivision, unlike in neighbouring Coquitlam.

https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2745868/5...Port-Moody-BC/

Not much curb appeal, but lots of potential and room for your vehicles on the driveway.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2023, 09:00 AM   #24914
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,905 Times in 7,395 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
I like that place. Needs a few upgrades to finishing but nice size and room for a garage.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:23 AM   #24915
CRS

I'm shocked that this sold for 1.5

https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2749417/7...UE-Burnaby-BC/

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 02-14-2023, 09:24 AM   #24916
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,576 Times in 2,536 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
If you're looking in Burquitlam, what about buying an actual detached in Glenayre?

Huge lots, rancher style homes with no prospect of subdivision, unlike in neighbouring Coquitlam.

https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2745868/5...Port-Moody-BC/

Not much curb appeal, but lots of potential and room for your vehicles on the driveway.
Love MCM bungalow style. Sucker for the vaulted ceiling, wood panelling and beams. A refresh of the kitchen and bathroom would elevate it pretty easily.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2023, 10:01 AM   #24917
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
A duplex that's been hacked with a suite? In an area that is nowhere near anything in east Burnaby?

Sounds about par for the course.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 10:21 AM   #24918
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
I think the inside looks fine -- it's already a newer style compare to the old family home that I grew up in LOL~

Personally, styles like this are so much more homey, comfortable, and livable than the grandiose hard sell that developers put in nowadays.

The only thing I'd change is the car port / driveway. Need to find a way to at least get a 2 car garage with a house / land that size. And then I'd want to repave the whole driveway too (but that is gonna be $$$$$).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Love MCM bungalow style. Sucker for the vaulted ceiling, wood panelling and beams. A refresh of the kitchen and bathroom would elevate it pretty easily.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 11:21 AM   #24919
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Failed 54 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
I'm uneasy with the photoshopping. Wonder what the real thing looks like.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 11:53 AM   #24920
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
I'm uneasy with the photoshopping. Wonder what the real thing looks like.
Looked like a POS. I walked in and walked out in under 2 mins.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 02-14-2023, 12:46 PM   #24921
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,884 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 192 Times in 119 Posts
Man I was just looking at nanaimo and you can get a new house for $800k
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 01:12 PM   #24922
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Man I was just looking at nanaimo and you can get a new house for $800k
And you can buy a starter home for sub 500k.
Seems like their prices have dropped by 20% since peak.

I was looking at prices in summer and nothing under 550k, now there's 15 listings under 500k

Supafamous would not approve of these houses

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 02:18 PM   #24923
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,905 Times in 7,395 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Naniamo is a shithole, so there's that.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-14-2023, 02:34 PM   #24924
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Naniamo is a shithole, so there's that.
That's because all you mainlanders keep moving hear.

We have a makerspace with over 100K in equipment that only charges $50 a month.
A racetrack that is now open to the public.
We also have a Karting association https://vika.ca/ that uses the track.
Tons of parks and outdoor spaces.
No crazy traffic like you have on the mainland.'
Lots of great driving roads.
skiing and surfing.

Last edited by Manic!; 02-14-2023 at 02:39 PM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 02:44 PM   #24925
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,624 Times in 4,325 Posts
Failed 1,035 Times in 351 Posts
Nanaimo is the Mission of the island
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote