REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Failed 30 Times in 1 Post
Extended Warranty

Hey Folks,

I need your guys' advice here. I just purchased a Ford Focus and I was wondering if I should get the extended warranty (about $3000 and change) and paint protection etc. I'm thinking no?

Thanks.
Advertisement
dutd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 59 Posts
Ford basic warranty is 3 years 36,000 miles?

$3000 is with a huge mark up on the dealer side. If you tell me the dealer I can check if they sell my companys product.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 105 Posts
Spends $20k on Ford Focus.....and pay $3000 for 'extended' warranty
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #4

2013 Focus ST MSRP is $29,999.

Just saying
Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman66 View Post
2013 Focus ST MSRP is $29,999.

Just saying
LOL that's like $8000 more than I can afford. I'm not rich!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman66 View Post
Ford basic warranty is 3 years 36,000 miles?

$3000 is with a huge mark up on the dealer side. If you tell me the dealer I can check if they sell my companys product.
I'll PM you.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
Spends $20k on Ford Focus.....and pay $3000 for 'extended' warranty
I'll take that as a "no".

Sorry, I'm quite new to car-buying.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
"Paint protection" is just wax, isn't it? Personally, I'd say no to most of those "upgrades" the dealerships try to sell you on. However, extended warranties on vehicles are the only service plans I'll ever buy. Depending on how long you plan on keeping the car, it can be worth it.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 22 Times in 10 Posts
No right or wrong answer when it comes to extended warranty. Just consider the price (3000) and if you think you can rack up enough bills to justify 3000 dollars.

Not sure if it helps but 4 year old Focuses are going for 8000-10000 on craigslist. If it was me I would put the 3k on a new car if it falls apart then.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 74 Times in 20 Posts
extended warranty is up to u. tbh i would not get it if i was daily driving the car. if theres gonna be a manufacture defect, most of the time it would appear within the first 20,000 kms. now if I'm gonna store the car for every winter or drive it once a week, i might consider it. also if it was the first production of the car (example, brz/frs) for sure i would get extended warranty. i guarantee you that there are ALWAYS problems with first production cars. As for paint protection from the dealer, imo its a waste of money, however i would recommend undercoating since we live in a really wet city and during the winter, theres a lot of salt on the road. if you don't have time to wax your car urself, contact ken (autowerkers) to do an opticoat on ur car.

Most dealers use Diamond Kote Paint protection btw. ..

Last edited by i-vtecyo; 10-15-2012 at 11:08 PM.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Failed 23 Times in 10 Posts
I buy extended warranty on everything, Futureshop salesmen love me.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 22 Times in 10 Posts
death_blossom, how often does your electronic devices break during the extended period?
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #13

Some extended warranties can be transfered if you do a private sale. Could be usefull if you sell down the road.

If you purchase another ford and you still have time left on your warranty they'll offer you a discount on the new warranty as a loyalty credit. Prorated ammount.

You got PM though. Glad I can help
Old 10-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
Failed 6 Times in 3 Posts
read whats in the extended warranty. usually if not all cover the power train.

try to find if it covers electrical, with cars these days, your bound to have a control module go before a mechanical part goes.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 51 Posts
It really depends on the OP's circumstances, the terms of the warranty, how he is paying for the car etc and his intended use for his car. IIf it is a daily driver and he owns outright I would argue buy the warranty, since it covers the extra miles.

Manufacturing defects like the infamous coil packs of VW's 1.8Turbo didn't happen way past the 20k.

Also OP: You should see for 3k does it cover servicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-vtecyo View Post
extended warranty is up to u. tbh i would not get it if i was daily driving the car. if theres gonna be a manufacture defect, most of the time it would appear within the first 20,000 kms. now if I'm gonna store the car for every winter or drive it once a week, i might consider it. also if it was the first production of the car (example, brz/frs) for sure i would get extended warranty. i guarantee you that there are ALWAYS problems with first production cars. As for paint protection from the dealer, imo its a waste of money, however i would recommend undercoating since we live in a really wet city and during the winter, theres a lot of salt on the road. if you don't have time to wax your car urself, contact ken (autowerkers) to do an opticoat on ur car.

Most dealers use Diamond Kote Paint protection btw. ..
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 16 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
read whats in the extended warranty. usually if not all cover the power train.

try to find if it covers electrical, with cars these days, your bound to have a control module go before a mechanical part goes.
Yeah, make sure you read the fine print. I had a friend buy a used S2000 from a dealer with extended warrantee. He didn't know how to drive standard very well, so he got me to show him after he bought the car. Turns out, the clutch was already slipping and needed replacement. Of course, this was excluded from the extended warantee.

I know the OP is buying a new car, but they wouldn't be selling an extended warantee unless they made good money on it. Of course, you can't put a price on peace of mind...
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 16 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_skeeto View Post
No right or wrong answer when it comes to extended warranty. Just consider the price (3000) and if you think you can rack up enough bills to justify 3000 dollars.

Not sure if it helps but 4 year old Focuses are going for 8000-10000 on craigslist. If it was me I would put the 3k on a new car if it falls apart then.
The new (2011+) Focus has a higher price point and is a completely different chassis than the old one. It might still fall apart, but the depreciation will be different.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Failed 1,234 Times in 307 Posts
I got the extended warranty on my Hyundai Elantra Touring (7years) plus the extra insurance coverage for 5 years.. so my car gets a total loss, I get a full replacement of equal or next model higher up..

I think its worth it for a brand new car.. you never know what could happen with all these idiots on the road..

plus I got the paint protection added into my monthly payments.

My monthly payment is just under $300/month.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Failed 673 Times in 120 Posts
I bought my Ford ESP from the states. It was NEARLY a $1.5k savings over buying it here. I contacted over 40 dealers in the USA and Canada and no one came close to the price I got.

TIPTON FORD, INC.
State Road 28 East, Tipton, IN 46072
Call Us Now: (888) 863-4308

The premium ESP pretty much covers almost everything on the car except wear items.

Also in case you don't keep your Focus, you can get a partial refund for your ESP

Q: Can I cancel my Ford ESP?

A: Yes. All Ford ESP contracts are cancelable. You will receive a pro-rated refund from Ford Motor Company. To cancel a Ford ESP simply call us toll free at 1-877-339-1978.
Ronith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 148 Times in 32 Posts
depends on how long u intend to keep the car, if you are going to drive it til it dies then it might be worthwhile

but u have to see the full details on what they cover and for how long
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #21
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
Failed 6 Times in 3 Posts
clutches are considered wear and tear. it would be hard to find any warranty outside of the factory warranty that comes with new cars that will cover a clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
Yeah, make sure you read the fine print. I had a friend buy a used S2000 from a dealer with extended warrantee. He didn't know how to drive standard very well, so he got me to show him after he bought the car. Turns out, the clutch was already slipping and needed replacement. Of course, this was excluded from the extended warantee.

I know the OP is buying a new car, but they wouldn't be selling an extended warantee unless they made good money on it. Of course, you can't put a price on peace of mind...

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote