REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #26
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 100 Posts
Have you never pulled your own credit report? You should if you havent.
Advertisement
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #27
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil@rise View Post
Why was I able to secure financing on another car only a year after mine was repoed? Keep in mind this was some 15 years ago perhaps things were more slack?
It is hard to say why. It could be a combination of reasons but things that come to mind are:

- the lien was not secured correctly against your name when you first got your vehicle = the credit line was never reported onto your credit bureau
- human error when assessing your credit the second time around
- were you the primary or secondary on the loan? again, depending on the finance company, human error occurs when registering a lien on the 2nd person

15 years ago is a long time and I'm sure credit buying trends have changed a LOT since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil@rise View Post
Do other bills given on a use service now pay later like phone hydro ets do they effect credit as well either good or bad as they are a necessity for life?
It may be easier to explain it to you this way.

Never be late on:
- creditcards
- auto loans
- mortgages
- lines of credit
- bank loans
- any type of leasing, ie// musical instruments from Long Mcquade etc

Things that kind of don't matter as much if you were late paying:
- cell phone / mobility / cable

Hydro is never reported on your credit bureau as a "credit line". The only time I've seen hydro on a bureau is when it's gone to collections status. Any time you start getting collection calls, especially from 3rd party agencies, your debt's already been written off and sold to a 3rd party company to recover the debt and reported as so on your bureau. It will show as a Collection item and drag your Beacon down.

Tips on having a strong credit bureau:

1.) Don't be late paying your credit lines (creditcards, line of credits, auto loans, mortgages etc). As long as you pay the bare minimum prior to the due date, your creditscore will not be affected negatively. So if the minimum payment on your creditcard is $75 dollars, pay that $75 dollars ON TIME

2.) Don't go shopping for credit randomly at multiple places and not follow through
- "Shopping around" drives your credit score down. I see a ton of idiots going to Kingsway Honda, then Richmond Honda, then Burrard Acura applying for credit at multiple places. "Shopping around" is credit seeking, and when you do it too many times in a short period, it reflects very poorly on your creditscore. Each time a creditor pulls your credit, your Beacon score will go down.

The only reason people shop around is usually because one place turned them down, and then they go somewhere else... rinse and repeat.

If you wanna shop around and get a better deal, you NEGOTIATE a deal prior to having your credit pulled.

3.) Use your creditcard, then pay it off. Keeping a balance is ok, but try to keep the balance between 25-50%. Don't let it ride at max. Maxed credit drives your score down

4.) It's better to keep creditcards you don't use open, than to close them off by calling Visa/Mastercard and requesting the credit line closed. Sometimes, credit card companies will misreport the closure, and it ends up looking like a R9 write off. That isn't your fault, again it's human error.

There's more, but I'm kinda busy at work :P
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #28
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Failed 23 Times in 10 Posts
How much does your credit get affected if u miss your credit card payment by a few days? While I don't do it anymore, there have been a handful of times where I simply forgot to pay my credit card bill, or was waiting for pay day. It never happened consistently, but would happen once in a while.
Posted via RS Mobile
death_blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #29
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ Great question. Unfortunately I'm not able to put an actual number of how much your beacon score drops each time you miss a payment.

But, what a lot of banks nowadays offer to customers is an auto-minimum payment option onto your creditcards. It links it to your bank account so that when your creditcard payment is due, it will auto deduct the minimum payment out of your account to cover that months payment. It'll help protect you from getting dings against your credit bureau for late payments.

Keep in mind, when creditors review a persons credit, we buy within a guideline and generally there is an acceptable amount of late payment(s) on each credit line per year.

Different lenders will have different guidelines. Mortgage guidelines will probably be more strict vs. Auto lending guidelines etc.

Keep in mind the beacon score is not the end all be all of your credit. It's only one part of what we look at. Having a high beacon score is a good indication that the customer pays well, maintains good standing on their credit lines, etc. It's an indicator, but we don't base your profile just on that score.

Ex.// A person might have a 750 beacon score (which is a great score), but only has one credit card with a $1000 limit, $0 balance, established in July 2012. This person might be looking to purchase a $35,000 vehicle. Does this persons credit support a $35k purchase? No... but they score high, and have perfectly clean credit.

That's where some confusion is with people new to credit...
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #30
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,737 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
There are so many people who are either misinformed or completely ignorant as to how credit really works in our society and how much it's needed...

And they go around telling other ignorant people misinformation, and it just spreads.

Some of the things I've heard from my friends...

Thanks for the solid information.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 100 Posts
I'm glad I started this thread! It really delivered.
Posted via RS Mobile
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #32
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Failed 23 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
There are so many people who are either misinformed or completely ignorant as to how credit really works in our society and how much it's needed...

And they go around telling other ignorant people misinformation, and it just spreads.

Some of the things I've heard from my friends...
Care to share? I had someone tell me once that it is best for your credit to pay off your credit card bill completely every month. He implied that carrying a balance on your credit card has negative effects on credit score.
Posted via RS Mobile
death_blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #33
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
Care to share? I had someone tell me once that it is best for your credit to pay off your credit card bill completely every month. He implied that carrying a balance on your credit card has negative effects on credit score.
Posted via RS Mobile
Take it for what it's worth but I am bad when it comes to paying my credit card bill. For a while when I was in between jobs, I lived off of my credit card. I was always paying off the minimum and quite often I was a few days late because I would forget. Well, I still managed to get to get a mortgage from the bank, twice.
It won't kill your credit rating but if you have the money to pay off the credit card, why wouldn't since most bank credit cards are going to be 18% or higher interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #34
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I think 604CEFIRO was explaining that having a car loan in good standing looks really favourable on your credit rating to potential future loan requests, like for a mortgage. Buying a car with cash, however fiscally responsible you think it is, does nothing to help your credit rating (but it doesn't hurt your rating either).

I wouldn't necessarily consider someone buying a car with a loan to be buying a car "out of their means" either.
with financing rates as they are today, your nuts to buy a car outright