REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #101
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodbar View Post
Lions gate bridge has the most fucking stupid concept of a design I've ever seen. I'm not surprised that an accident of this magnitude happened; the two men drew the short stick and got fucked. No dividers? really? Two lanes with a shared middle lane? that's just fucking stupid. With the growing number of people in the city, the bridge is way over capacity at peak hours.

I remember a video in the shitty/dangerous drivers thread where someone (on this board with a dashcam) had a near miss with some idiot in the middle lane going the wrong way. If their death served anything, I hope it serves to have the egghead ministers of transportation manage the traffic control. That bridge is a serious cluster fuck.

Rest in Peace to the two drivers.
The Lions Gate bridge was built in 1938. Yeah it's over capacity now, you want to pay for a replacement? Look at how many people bitch about tolling the port mann.

There's one way to significantly reduce the risk on that bridge, and that's to slow the fuck down while on it.
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Old 11-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #102
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin_115 View Post
T bought a new car. Who the fuk would not wanna rip it on a new car?
Then go out to the middle of buttfuck nowhere to rip it. Not a busy, undivided 3-lane fucking bridge.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #103
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,419 Times in 255 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinari-kun View Post
I think everyone in this thread really needs to take a
Spoiler!
Or simply not say anything if they don't have anything nice to say. The amount of disrespect in this thread is unbelievable..especially with a lot of RS members knowing these guys. They lost their lives, they paid for their actions. I don't know the two guys in the car, but my facebook and twitter feed have been blowing up with messages to the two of them.

RIP gentlemen.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #104
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Failed 202 Times in 77 Posts
It seems as though these guys meant a lot to some people here, it's a shame that one of the causes was excessive speeding, rip all the same.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #105
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
rip
Old 11-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #106
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Failed 532 Times in 202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
The Lions Gate bridge was built in 1938. Yeah it's over capacity now, you want to pay for a replacement? Look at how many people bitch about tolling the port mann.

There's one way to significantly reduce the risk on that bridge, and that's to slow the fuck down while on it.
people bitch about tolling the port mann because it should never be tolled - our tax dollars should be going towards projects like this, not stupid bike lanes and other hippy bullshit.

there are certain things that government revenue (taxes) should go to - infrastructure (roads), schools, hospitals, fire, police

only after they're all done, do we waste it on stupid green initiatives (which i don't entirely disagree with, but we haven't covered our initial bases yet, that's why i find them stupid)
Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #107
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 31 Times in 7 Posts
For people who think the lions gate bridge is dangerous need to realize its not the bridge but the drivers who make it dangerous. There's clearly marked speed zones and "x"s every 100 or so meters. Don't blame the bridge. Blame the ones who cause accidents.
Like the saying goes. Guns aren't dangerous, people with guns are.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #108
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 123 Posts
Whenever i drive on the Lions gate bridge, i feel pretty safe. Everything is all bright and i can see so far as apose to knight bridge..

RICHMOND
Old 11-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #109
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Failed 236 Times in 113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
I just heard on news 1130 am that this accident sparked the question on whether they should close the middle lane at night
Posted via RS Mobile
That's all we need. A stupid knee jerk reaction to a couple of deaths that affects life for the rest of us.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #110

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Failed 27 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
That's all we need. A stupid knee jerk reaction to a couple of deaths that affects life for the rest of us.
That's exactly how the 50 over law in Ontario came about (major accident involving speeding). I am sure the city planned on doing this for a while now, they were just looking for a triggering event..
Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #111
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Failed 19 Times in 1 Post
I've read through this thread and have two things to say...

1. RIP and condolences

2. Everybody who has been replying these two got what they deserved for speeding are complete idiots. Especially you, Phil@Rise. You're a fu@#ing moron and I hope you lose a lot of business. The passenger was just that, a passenger. They were solely a victim of the driver's error in judgement, re-read what you wrote and think about it a$$hole.

Just a thought, Phil@Rise and the rest of you, try thinking before you post sh*t like that you stupid fu@#s.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I do agree with all the above. I do.

I'd also like to say: A) If you don't feel comfortable driving it, then don't and B) Slow the fuck down!

Seriously...are you in such a hurry that you can't do 50 over the Lion's Gate bridge? I take the Patullo all the time and get in the right lane and cruise along at a normal speed. We can't replace every single bridge we have, at once with 6 lane bridges. The bill at the end would be astronomical. So maybe we need to do our part, and realize that being in a constant hurry all the time isn't always the answer.

I see people every day putting others at risk so they can do 70 in a 50, whipping around people in traffic so everyone else needs to slow down so they can get home faster.
Since when is the speed limit on LGB 50 km/h? It is 70 km/h. Barring a day with poor conditions, if you feel scared driving the speed limit, perhaps transit is a better choice. If traffic is moving faster than the speed limit, and you are holding up traffic because it is only one lane in your direction and you feel compelled to drive at or below the speed limit with a long line of cars tailgating you, perhaps transit is a better choice.

I love the LGB. I don't think it is dangerous at all. The curves are gentle, and you have to be alert to stay in your lane or risk death. That's right - You actually have to be alert when you drive - what a concept. The people that think that roads need to be idiot proofed, are well, idiots.

The problem is that kids, with their feeling of invulnerability get handed a license when they don't have the first fucking clue about vehicle control or what their vehicle is telling them about road conditions.

On that section of the bridge (I don't see any corners), to lose control would take someone who was either distracted (txt messaging, facebook alerts), or driving with bald tires and hydroplaning. Cars do not just leave their lane of travel on a straight section just because you happen to be going 30 or 40 km/h above the posted speed limit.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti_rice View Post
For people who think the lions gate bridge is dangerous need to realize its not the bridge but the drivers who make it dangerous. There's clearly marked speed zones and "x"s every 100 or so meters. Don't blame the bridge. Blame the ones who cause accidents.
Like the saying goes. Guns aren't dangerous, people with guns are.
Posted via RS Mobile
A fine point - but let's eliminate the risk of crossing the centre, put in a guard rail that will prevent 99% of any crossings, we can't do that with an aged 3 lane bridge that is 20 yrs past replacement
Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #114
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 59 Times in 28 Posts
The passenger always has a say...

When my friend drives too fast or makes dumb decisions, I'll be vocal.....
Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #115
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Failed 643 Times in 181 Posts
While I agree with some of the things Phil has said, IMO it's a matter of decorum, with many mourning the loss and the bodies not even in the ground yet, it's not an appropriate time to voice that kind of opinion. Sugar-coating and speaking to soon are two different things.

Heck, even ASR hasn't shamelessly plugged dash cams yet
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #116
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 2 Times in 1 Post
Ironically, when I met Tom for the first and only time, I witnessed him getting in a car crash.

We were on our way to #9 from pop opera. I was driving my car, he was designated driver of my drunk friend's car. Getting into Richmond, he was following me. I noticed an oncoming car running into our side of traffic—we were driving on center lane. I braked hard, Tom avoided me passing on the right lane. At the same time, the oncoming car turned to our right lane, crashing into him.

In the short time that I got to know him, he was definitely a cool & good guy.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #117

Failed 59 Times in 19 Posts
my random 2 cents.

RIP.

Condolences to the family, friends, and all the people involved.

Lastly: When you post something on a INTERNET forum be ready to receive all opinions!! No matter how harsh or how nice the post is. It is the Internet!!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
A fine point - but let's eliminate the risk of crossing the centre, put in a guard rail that will prevent 99% of any crossings, we can't do that with an aged 3 lane bridge that is 20 yrs past replacement
Why the hell would we need guardrails between lanes? That makes the lanes much narrower, and you wouldn't be able to change lanes if you needed to pass some slow poke cruising along at 50. Further, if a car were to break down, it would cause chaos for the vehicles behind that are not able to pass the stranded vehcile.
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Why the hell would we need guardrails between lanes? That makes the lanes much narrower, and you wouldn't be able to change lanes if you needed to pass some slow poke cruising along at 50. Further, if a car were to break down, it would cause chaos for the vehicles behind that are not able to pass the stranded vehcile.
i'm not being literal, i don't mean you'd put a guard rail on some mickey mouse 3 lane POS like the lion's gate, i'm saying build a proper 3 lane each way (personally, should be 4/5 lanes each way to be good for the next 40 years) and have a large guard rail splitting the directions

guard railing the crap we have right now wouldn't work due to the counter flow lane usage
Old 11-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #120

Failed 59 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
i'm not being literal, i don't mean you'd put a guard rail on some mickey mouse 3 lane POS like the lion's gate, i'm saying build a proper 3 lane each way (personally, should be 4/5 lanes each way to be good for the next 40 years) and have a large guard rail splitting the directions

guard railing the crap we have right now wouldn't work due to the counter flow lane usage
lol.. I bet the city would love to do that.. first they need to make fake money to pay for it!!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #121

This is a forum where people are meant to voice OPINIONs that is meant to further our mutual understanding of the issues involved. Replying with only "RIP" does not add any value to the thread and is the intellectual equivalent of spamming. If you want to post condolences to the deceased, send a card with flowers to the funeral or post a MEANINGFUL message on their fb wall with thoughts and memories of the deceased.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #122
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
Failed 227 Times in 85 Posts
they need to make it 4 lane and put guardrails then.

i am on that bridge almost everyday and feel safe even driving in the center lane. the pavement is awesome, visibility is ok and lighting is excellent. very unfortunate to hear about the incident. locals (north shore people) drive considerately on the bridge most of the time and west van cops are usually out and about the bridge.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #123

Quote:

I'm actually a long time North Shore resident, and when I first started driving the LGB, the bridge and causeway were way narrower, the road surface was a rough concrete mix rather than asphalt and the speed limit was 60 km/h. Traffic mostly moved at a crawl.

One of the main reasons of looking for a better solution than LGB was due to congestion. Like you, many people wanted more lanes. In the end, the government went the least costly route and refurbished the bridge with the same 3 lanes albeit wider. Everyone thought it was ridiculous at the time that we were spending a lot of money but ending up with the same 3 lane bridge. Along the way a strange thing happened. Congestion actually DECREASED markedly though there are more vehicles that use the LGB than ever.

The reasons is because the bridge became wider, the causeway was paved, and people felt safer to drive FASTER. Hell, they even increased the speed limit by 10 km/h but most people drive 80 or 90. That increased the 'flow' rate through the bridge thus reducing congestion significantly. We also saved having to buy a whole new bridge with 6 lanes as you suggest and having to pay for it by tolling residents.

All the people who are calling for driving at slower speeds (and holding everyone behind them back) are affecting the efficiency of this wonderful crossing. If you cannot keep up with the flow of bridge traffic, take the 2nd narrows or the Seabus or something. Closing the middle lane at night only means that the maximum speed/flow rate on the bridge will never be faster than the slowest vehicle on the bridge at any given time. This is a terrible solution.

Last edited by Marco911; 11-29-2012 at 11:00 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #124
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,389 Posts
Failed 376 Times in 130 Posts
The Lions Gate Bridge is no more dangerous than any other bridges, even tunnels we have in the GVRD.

To be honest, I actually feel safer driving on the LGB than in the Massey Tunnel. I've seen and heard too many horror stories centered around the Massey Tunnel to drive recklessly around that area. A family friend of mine knows an individual who miraculously (not really, because Volvo XC90 ) made it out alive from a serious head-on collision inside the Massey Tunnel. After hearing about that incident, I no longer drive on the counterflow lanes, regardless of whether or not it is rush hour. I'd rather spend an extra 10-15 minutes on the road than put my life on the line. The entire stretch of Hwy 99 Northbound from the border to just before the tunnel is also pretty much devoid of police presence 24/7/365, so it's pretty common to see people not bothering to slow down after entering the tunnel area, blasting through at ridiculous speeds and changing lanes in the tunnel weaving in and out of traffic like a madman.

Strangely enough, I feel very calm while driving on the LGB compared to the crowded Alex Fraser and the horrifying Patullo. It's definitely the drivers that make a particular roadway dangerous, NOT the road itself.

Though, the Patullo is pretty damn stressful to drive on

EDIT: I will say however, there's ALWAYS ALWAYS this one idiot who hogs up the left lane in the tunnel going 65-70km/h and is NOT exiting the highway after coming out of the tunnel, just gets my blood boiling.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #125
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 1,128 Times in 272 Posts
i can not be the only one thinking about final destination ....... except hte bridge did not collapse lol
Closed Thread