REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #26
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Alright, I have worked in a tire shop. Do not mix and match 3-1 that's just stupid.

Pay the extra $150 and get the extra snow tire. If that's not an option, borrow the $150 from your parents and get the 4th snow tire. Then pay them back.

If you don't have parents, put two snows in the rear and two all seasons in the front.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #28
straight from the fields of squamton

Failed 305 Times in 63 Posts
so this horse has been beaten to death already, but a few things worry me. is the car awd fwd or rwd?

i didn't notice that being stated by the OP, so it's safe to assume it's fwd like 95% of the cars on the road.

first, if awd, you need 4 tires the same tread depth, so since you got tires recently you will be safe with just buying one more/

if rwd, 4 is recommended, but if you decide to be a poor bastard and only use 2, put them on the rear and don't plan on stopping or turning well.

if fwd, 4 is also recommended, but realistically you only need 2. and put them on the FRONT WHEELS. you do 100% of your acceleration with the front tires, basically all your steering with the front tires and a high percentage of your braking with the front tires. the rear tires are just along for the ride, unless you go to kal tire or canadian tire 2 of the ***BEST EVER AUTO SHOPS EVER*** who recommend best tires on the rear, because they love to sell tires

in conclusion, this shouldn't have been a thread, it should have died in your thoughts and you should have bought that 1 new tire again that some asshole slashed. but instead, you have started a thread, where whithout stating that you are anything but FWD, people have recommended you to put snow tires on the rear and use a non winter on the front. That my friends is what's wrong with humanity
Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #29
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,266 Times in 4,627 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
It's okay. The world is ending in a few weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #30
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 850 Times in 230 Posts
no one has the right answer what kinda thread is this.
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #31
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
no one has the right answer what kinda thread is this.
You fuck that chick yet?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #32
Doesn't know that condom-depot.com has free shipping

Failed 396 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cressydrift View Post
Just buy another fuckin tire. Jesus. Did this really need a thread?
anyone else having a hard fucking time reading what i posted ?

"Buying a new one is not optional because Continental of Europe does not ship the model of my snows here anymore and the pair i purchased was the last one. These are superb snow tires and they are difficult to find. "

I know its the best and safest thing to run 4 snows instead of 2 or 3. My question was specifically asking, would you run 3 snows and 1 all season or 2 snows and 2 all seasons to be safe?

anyways, I had to spend the last few days emailing Continental execs to help me pinpoint me to someone I can purchase from in north america. Didn't know there's a bunch of morons on this planet who gave me the dumbest replies lol. 2 snows on the rear when I have FWD, really?
doritos is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by doritos View Post

"Buying a new one is not optional because Continental of Europe does not ship the model of my snows here anymore and the pair i purchased was the last one. These are superb snow tires and they are difficult to find. "

I know its the best and safest thing to run 4 snows instead of 2 or 3. My question was specifically asking, would you run 3 snows and 1 all season or 2 snows and 2 all seasons to be safe?

anyways, I had to spend the last few days emailing Continental execs to help me pinpoint me to someone I can purchase from in north america. Didn't know there's a bunch of morons on this planet who gave me the dumbest replies lol. 2 snows on the rear when I have FWD, really?
You never once mentioned you had a FWD car, you alluded to the fact in post 17 but never actually told us... So dumb posts will get dumb replies, seems pretty standard.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #34
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 105 Posts
Quote:
Didn't know there's a bunch of morons on this planet who gave me the dumbest replies lol. 2 snows on the rear when I have FWD, really?
Or you know what you can do? You can tell us where you park this car of yours, and Xilley and I will come by to help you slash the other 3 tires. Then you wouldn't have such a hard time deciding to run 3 winter + 1 all season or 2 winter + 2 all season.

Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
Or you know what you can do? You can tell us where you park this car of yours, and Xilley and I will come by to help you slash the other 3 tires. Then you wouldn't have such a hard time deciding to run 3 winter + 1 all season or 2 winter + 2 all season.

if i did, i'd end up breaking your knee caps. I'll save you the trouble
Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #36

Quote:
Outstanding.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #37
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,389 Posts
Failed 376 Times in 130 Posts
Problem solved

Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinari-kun View Post
Problem solved
So. Retardedly. Expensive. Like 20k a wheel expensive.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #39
Tq
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 5 Times in 2 Posts
Or you could just buy two cheap winters tires for the back.
Tq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #40

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Failed 331 Times in 171 Posts
Quote:

dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #41
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
So. Retardedly. Expensive. Like 20k a wheel expensive.
Mattracks cost more than the vehicles they're designed to be mounted on.

I have no idea why Mattracks are so exorbitantly priced, it's not a complicated concept.

The ones pictured are made by American Track Truck, and are reasonably priced at around $10,000.

If you look closely, I believe those are actually modified steelies bolted to the hubs. Very simple, and probably totally sufficient.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #42

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Failed 331 Times in 171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Mattracks cost more than the vehicles they're designed to be mounted on.

I have no idea why Mattracks are so exorbitantly priced, it's not a complicated concept.

The ones pictured are made by American Track Truck, and are reasonably priced at around $10,000.

If you look closely, I believe those are actually modified steelies bolted to the hubs. Very simple, and probably totally sufficient.
That's exactly what they are, basically as easy to put on as wheels and tires (Heavier and more akward but you get the point) That way you can still use the damn thing in the other 3 seasons...
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #43
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post

if fwd, 4 is also recommended, but realistically you only need 2. and put them on the FRONT WHEELS. you do 100% of your acceleration with the front tires, basically all your steering with the front tires and a high percentage of your braking with the front tires. the rear tires are just along for the ride, unless you go to kal tire or canadian tire 2 of the ***BEST EVER AUTO SHOPS EVER*** who recommend best tires on the rear, because they love to sell tires
you are an absolute tool, and you should have been aborted.

Snow Tire Q&A - Five questions (and answers) about snow tires

" If you have a front-wheel-drive car and put snow tires on the front only, the back wheels won't have anywhere near as much grip as the front wheels. This will make the car much more likely to spin out while braking or cornering.

Snow tires: When you only have two and a front wheel drive van, do you put on back or front.? - Yahoo! Answers

"The tire guy is absolutely RIGHT, in fact no reputable tire shop will install two winter tires on the front of any vehicle. Grippier tires on the front will make the vehicle extremely unstable in situations in which you need control, going around corners and braking, do you want the rear end to spin around every time you go to stop on a wet or icy road?"

http://us.coopertire.com/Tire-Safety...ter-Tires.aspx

" DO NOT apply winter/snow tires only to the front axle. This applies to all passenger and light truck vehicles including front-wheel-drive, 4WD, and AWD vehicles. WARNING! Without winter/snow tires on the rear axle, which have comparable traction qualities to the tires on the front axle, the vehicle may experience adverse handling characteristics"

You can go eat a dick.
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #44
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Failed 532 Times in 202 Posts
2 snows on the driving axle, 2 all seasons on the other. (there is a school of thought that says the "best" tires should be on the front for breaking purposes and steering).

but to be honest, if you live in Vancouver, i don't really see the need for anything outside of good four season tires, unless you're constantly on the mountains (i don't know if they clear the roads up there)

NEVER mix tires on the same axle, ESPECIALLY if there's a limited slip differential involved
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #45
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Failed 2,239 Times in 545 Posts
4 summer tyres mate
Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #46
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,891 Times in 7,388 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:

Then buy 2 fucking new tires. How complicated is this? 2 ok snow tires are the price of like 3 tanks of gas. Sucks your tire got slashed. Shit happens, and cars cost money.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Then buy 2 fucking new tires. How complicated is this? 2 ok snow tires are the price of like 3 tanks of gas. Sucks your tire got slashed. Shit happens, and cars cost money.
I don't think you or others telling me to go buy a tire or two understand the concept here. I HAVE three winter tires. I need to know if its safer to use THREE winter tires and ONE all season or TWO winters and TWO all seasons WHILE I search for a LOCATION that has the type of tire I need in STOCK in CANADA. I can afford a new set of tires no problem but that is not the fucking issue here. Good to the people who actually understand my question and is providing info and thanks.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
tell me you won't give a shit if some fucks decide to slash your tires that you spent your hard earned money on. I'am pretty sure most of the people here would want to do the same if their vehicle they loved was touched for no reason.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #49
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,891 Times in 7,388 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
I don't think you or others telling me to go buy a tire or two understand the concept here. I HAVE three winter tires. I need to know if its safer to use THREE winter tires and ONE all season or TWO winters and TWO all seasons WHILE I search for a LOCATION that has the type of tire I need in STOCK in CANADA. I can afford a new set of tires no problem but that is not the fucking issue here. Good to the people who actually understand my question and is providing info and thanks.
You said you can't get another winter tire, no way, no how. Keep the 3 on and run one all season if you think you are going to get another one even though "ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET ONE TIRE!!!! ITS SUPER SPECIAL TIRE THAT NOT EXIST EVER IN WORLD ANYMORE SO I CANT GET TIRE" If you are driving in Vancouver for a few days, its not going to make a difference. Ever seen someone drive on a spare?

You having a hard fucking time reading what you posted?
Quote:

:

Last edited by westopher; 12-07-2012 at 12:08 AM.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #50
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 850 Times in 230 Posts
if you cant take the criticism when you ask a complete dumbass question then seriously. dont post a DUMBASS QUESTION.

buying 2 extra tires is a GREAT idea because the extra one will be useful when you get your ass slashed again.
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: