REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-06-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Failed 4,505 Times in 971 Posts
Lexus Autonomous Driving Technology Teaser

Lexus Autonomous Driving Technology Teaser: 2013 CES
BY NELSON IRESON Jan 4, 2013

The Consumer Electronics Show has, over the past several years, become more and more about automotive technology. This year, Lexus will be flaunting its latest, including its take on autonomous driving tech.

While the company is touting the system as if it were about to reach production, one look at the monstrosity in the video here shows it's still very much a matter of research and development--much like Google's similarly-outfitted autonomous cars.

That's not to say that the sensors and equipment, once adapted to the intended use, couldn't be made smaller and integrated into production cars. In fact, that's exactly what we expect to happen--we just don't expect it for several more years, at the least.

The whole idea of autonomous cars is a bit of a mixed bag for enthusiasts like ourselves. While we can appreciate the potential for safety advances, easier--and more productive--commutes, and even a possible reduction in traffic slow-downs, the idea of handing over all control of a high-speed vehicle to a computer that's, at best, only partially aware of its surroundings, well...that's another matter.

How do you feel about self-driving cars? Let us know in the comments below.

Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 182 Times in 61 Posts
Computer not distracted by cell phone, make up, fast food, hot pedestrian, etc.

Probably better driver than most in Vancouver.. especially Richmond..
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 55 Times in 16 Posts
4doorVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 16 Times in 6 Posts
Hopefully coming to a Richmond near you, and not nearly soon enough.
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,616 Times in 3,577 Posts
Failed 1,506 Times in 644 Posts
Throw in a large TV , PS3 and fridge for the beer and I'm set.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
Never gonna happen.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Never gonna happen.
It's going to happen. Some say within 10 to 15 years. It's already legal in a few states like Nevada and California. Planes already have auto pilot.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
It's going to happen. Some say within 10 to 15 years. It's already legal in a few states like Nevada and California. Planes already have auto pilot.
And do you know how expensive it costs for an airplanes auto pilot setup? Just to go RVSM up north is a $250,000 retro fit... And that's only to get within 1000' of other aircraft.

I can see something like they have in I Robot where you have certain dedicated thoroughfares where the car "locks" itself onto a sort of track and you can enter/exit at certain points.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 356 Times in 87 Posts
technology is way too advanced these days that we forget how to use our brains. Already people can't do basic math with calculators readily available (smart phones), soon we wouldn't even be able to walk without the help of an "automated" machine. All in all, I'm still very pro in technological advances
Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #10
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,930 Times in 504 Posts
Failed 44 Times in 25 Posts
I like the idea of a self driving vehicle, but it takes away from the experience of driving. If I wanted to spread out and relax on my commutes, I'd take the skytrain or other public transit, or even a taxi. A car is meant to be driven and controlled; with this automated driving, you might as well throw a bunch of railroad tracks on the streets and cart people around in train cars.

It'd be a cool option though, and I'm all for advances in technology, but not in this case.
kakucaekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #11

Quote:
And do you know how expensive it costs for an airplanes auto pilot setup? Just to go RVSM up north is a $250,000 retro fit... And that's only to get within 1000' of other aircraft.

I can see something like they have in I Robot where you have certain dedicated thoroughfares where the car "locks" itself onto a sort of track and you can enter/exit at certain points.
Technology is moving very fast and Google already has a car that's done over 100000 miles. It's coming and it's coming faster than most people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakucaekz View Post
I like the idea of a self driving vehicle, but it takes away from the experience of driving. If I wanted to spread out and relax on my commutes, I'd take the skytrain or other public transit, or even a taxi. A car is meant to be driven and controlled; with this automated driving, you might as well throw a bunch of railroad tracks on the streets and cart people around in train cars.

It'd be a cool option though, and I'm all for advances in technology, but not in this case.
I love to drive to but there are so many benefits to a self driving car. Think about a car that knows the light coming up is red. The car can slow itself down so by the time it gets to the light it will be green and it will also get rid of drinking and driving, speeding, and a whole bunch of other problems.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Technology is moving very fast and Google already has a car that's done over 100000 miles. It's coming and it's coming faster than most people think.
There's just way too much work required to make it happen. I don't see it happening in the next 10-15 years as stated. I don't mind being proven wrong though haha.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #13

Quote:

Ok you're fucking idiot.

Airplanes have to go through air law...get approved by FAA, Transport Canada, etc.
It's not like cars where you can pretty much invent whatever you want. This is why cars get advanced so fast.

This is the primary reason why Cessna, Piper and all the other small airplanes use engines from 1950s technology. They're all like lawnmower engine. It's not controlled by ECU.
You have to adjust mixture, carb heat, everything by yourself.

It would cost them couple million $ for each technology they want to get approved. (Fuel injection, automatic mixture, etc)

This is why Lycoming still sells "lawnmower technology" engines.
Otherwise they would have to sell it as a "non-certified" engine so that aircraft can be registered as "Experiment Aircraft"
Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #14

Also, $250,000 that you're talking about is AFTER they paid several million $ to get approved. The cost to produce that auto pilot isn't nearly as high.

Just look at Cessna(certified aircraft manufacture) and VansAir or Lancair(Experimental Aircraft Manufacture).

For $100,000+, you can only get a Cessna 152(although they have 162).
Whereas for that price, if you go to Lancair, you can get way more sophisticated aircraft that can cruise at 250kias instead of 100kias like Cessna, pressurized cabin, etc. because they get to save money on approval.

This is why (certified) Aviation GPS would cost at least $8,000-$10,000, whereas for cars, you can find one for $100-$200.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,603 Times in 2,546 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
They probably borrowed the autonomous acceleration technology from Toyota.

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Ok you're fucking idiot.

Airplanes have to go through air law...get approved by FAA, Transport Canada, etc.
It's not like cars where you can pretty much invent whatever you want. This is why cars get advanced so fast.

This is the primary reason why Cessna, Piper and all the other small airplanes use engines from 1950s technology. They're all like lawnmower engine. It's not controlled by ECU.
You have to adjust mixture, carb heat, everything by yourself.

It would cost them couple million $ for each technology they want to get approved. (Fuel injection, automatic mixture, etc)

This is why Lycoming still sells "lawnmower technology" engines.
Otherwise they would have to sell it as a "non-certified" engine so that aircraft can be registered as "Experiment Aircraft"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Also, $250,000 that you're talking about is AFTER they paid several million $ to get approved. The cost to produce that auto pilot isn't nearly as high.

Just look at Cessna(certified aircraft manufacture) and VansAir or Lancair(Experimental Aircraft Manufacture).

For $100,000+, you can only get a Cessna 152(although they have 162).
Whereas for that price, if you go to Lancair, you can get way more sophisticated aircraft that can cruise at 250kias instead of 100kias like Cessna, pressurized cabin, etc. because they get to save money on approval.

This is why (certified) Aviation GPS would cost at least $8,000-$10,000, whereas for cars, you can find one for $100-$200.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 01-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #17
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 154 Times in 9 Posts
Yes it prolly drives better than you.

As per whole air plane vs car theory.. really? Do airplanes have to go thru stop lights, intersections and etc etc?

airplane autopilot < Car autopilot
dovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovo View Post
airplane autopilot < Car autopilot
I just.. I don't even.. Dear god man.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #19
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 110 Times in 43 Posts
shoot, the demand for these things is why the manual stick shift is dying!
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote