REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #26
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,835 Times in 987 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
put simply,if you want it done right,do it yourself, me and my friends do all the work on our cars
Easy to say if you *can* do it all. But if you can't, then it's a matter of you get what you pay for.
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #27
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Easy to say if you *can* do it all. But if you can't, then it's a matter of you get what you pay for.

you would be surprised how quick you learn when you start doing something, we arnt talking about building an engine here.

it never hurts to ask for some help either, a while back some of you may remember a girl on the forum asking for help with where to get an oil change because she didnt know how, i pm'd her had her bring everything i listed and showed her everything from jacking a car up to the filling and didnt even charge her for it, now she knows how all cuz someone felt like helping.

just a thought
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #28
is best wrench

Thanked 1,208 Times in 272 Posts
Failed 190 Times in 33 Posts
Not to be harsh but it is a bit mind boggling why anyone would bring their car to a shop like that. I know of a $200,000 car that went to that shop for repairs when clearly they have no idea how to repair anything on it.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #29
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
Failed 89 Times in 17 Posts
is this the same Andrew from the old Park Collision?
Posted via RS Mobile
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #30
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Failed 202 Times in 77 Posts
I'll never understand why people use double sided tape as the main method to install body panels. If you are planning on having a lip installed for a long period of time, it would be best to make sure that the install is permanent.

That being said, screws and double sided tape are not the best options out there, even rivets would be better suited to this kind of part. The most reliable way of fastening a part to a bumper (and still being able to take it off) would have to be properly sized bolts, nuts, and washers along the length of the lip. Double sided tape should be used to make sure chafing doesn't happen between the upper portions of the lip and the bumper, as it did on yours, not to hold it on.

Unless you told them to only use double sided tape, they should have used an alternate method of installing the lip, running two screws at either end is fucking idiotic. Seeing that your lip mounting point is at the very bottom, rivets would have been a far more secure way of attaching it without having bolt heads sticking out from under the bumper.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #31
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 15 Times in 3 Posts
If you get another lip, I would recommend using double sided tape to hold the front lip onto the bumper where you want it. Then using a chaulking gun fill the underside of the lip where it meets the bumper with urethane adhesive every 12 inch or so. This is a permanent bond and if you want to remove it later on, your bumper will have to be sanded down by a bodyshop and refinished.

Again, the double sided tape is only used so that the lip doesnt move around while the urethane cures up.

You can get this urethane at Lordco.
Welcome to Pro Form Products
E60_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #32
no

Thanked 6,061 Times in 1,223 Posts
Failed 221 Times in 85 Posts
i have 8 screws holding up my lip, and i am about same ride height as you, or might be even lower

no problems so far, sounds like a lack of screws caused this.. sorry to hear :/
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #33
asr
RS.net Licensed Vendor

Thanked 1,399 Times in 371 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 29 Posts
@limitless: If you have any difficulty to install the lip on, I can help you out at your place with my tools. Also fixing the cf is not easy, it is pretty hard to let the fiber glass stay on with the cf. Also you need higher sand grip paper to sand all the reinforce plastic and clear coat completely.
asr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #34
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
Failed 43 Times in 25 Posts
@snails I want to, especially if it saves me money lol. I
The only reason I dropped it off at a shop is because I wasn't comfortablr with drilling into carbon fiber, and the rear had to be painted so I thought why not get the sides installed too while I was at it. I put too much money into just the front lip, so this time I think I'm just going to try to install it myself to save money

@vr6 Yes I believe hes the manager

@monkeywrench I agree. I heard nothing about the shop when I left my car there except for my one friends good experiencegrtting his lip iinstalled there, except now his bumper is scratched as well like mine. Lotus was working on a lambo when I dropped my car off so thst only gave me an even bigger false sense or security

@NR! Im not sure
Posted via RS Mobile
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
I'll never understand why people use double sided tape as the main method to install body panels. If you are planning on having a lip installed for a long period of time, it would be best to make sure that the install is permanent.

That being said, screws and double sided tape are not the best options out there, even rivets would be better suited to this kind of part. The most reliable way of fastening a part to a bumper (and still being able to take it off) would have to be properly sized bolts, nuts, and washers along the length of the lip. Double sided tape should be used to make sure chafing doesn't happen between the upper portions of the lip and the bumper, as it did on yours, not to hold it on.

Unless you told them to only use double sided tape, they should have used an alternate method of installing the lip, running two screws at either end is fucking idiotic. Seeing that your lip mounting point is at the very bottom, rivets would have been a far more secure way of attaching it without having bolt heads sticking out from under the bumper.
I would much rather have my lip installed permanently if it meant that it would not lead to it falling off on the hwy. I'll look into that, thank you. I agree it was very idiotic, and that Andrew actually believes it was an okay way to mount it even after my lip fell off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60_M5 View Post
If you get another lip, I would recommend using double sided tape to hold the front lip onto the bumper where you want it. Then using a chaulking gun fill the underside of the lip where it meets the bumper with urethane adhesive every 12 inch or so. This is a permanent bond and if you want to remove it later on, your bumper will have to be sanded down by a bodyshop and refinished.

Again, the double sided tape is only used so that the lip doesnt move around while the urethane cures up.

You can get this urethane at Lordco.
Welcome to Pro Form Products
I'll look into this as well, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark View Post
i have 8 screws holding up my lip, and i am about same ride height as you, or might be even lower

no problems so far, sounds like a lack of screws caused this.. sorry to hear :/
Yup, definitely lack of screws imo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr View Post
@limitless: If you have any difficulty to install the lip on, I can help you out at your place with my tools. Also fixing the cf is not easy, it is pretty hard to let the fiber glass stay on with the cf. Also you need higher sand grip paper to sand all the reinforce plastic and clear coat completely.
Thanks, I'll shoot you a PM later if I have trouble installing it! Agh really.. I hope everything goes okay with the repair sigh. My friend is going to be doing most of the work and I'm just going to be helping out and learning along the way

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Old 02-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #36
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Failed 331 Times in 171 Posts
Limitless, I had a couple good experiences with a body shop in burnaby, I know it's a long drive for you , But pm me if you want more info.
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #37
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
He doesn't live in richmond. It won't be much of a drive for him.
Posted via RS Mobile
mx5nate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #38

Failed 395 Times in 107 Posts
So I skimmed the post because i didn't feel like reading an essay but from the jist of it, you saw problems from the get go, and didn't bring it up and do something about it? Falls off months later? No one to blame but yourself. I would have brought the issue up immediately and dealt with the manager. The rub marks are of course going to happen when you install a lip on your bumper. It's happened to my cars before and it's part of adding something to a painted surface. Unless the entire lip was bolted/glued on it will rub like that, and let me guess if they would have bolted it on with more hardware/glue, you'd be mad that they glued onto your paint, right?

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #39
is best wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by !NR View Post
is this the same Andrew from the old Park Collision?
Posted via RS Mobile
That is correct
Old 02-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #40
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,765 Times in 1,645 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
So I skimmed the post because i didn't feel like reading an essay but from the jist of it, you saw problems from the get go, and didn't bring it up and do something about it? Falls off months later? No one to blame but yourself. I would have brought the issue up immediately and dealt with the manager. The rub marks are of course going to happen when you install a lip on your bumper. It's happened to my cars before and it's part of adding something to a painted surface. Unless the entire lip was bolted/glued on it will rub like that, and let me guess if they would have bolted it on with more hardware/glue, you'd be mad that they glued onto your paint, right?
So, by your logic, if you hired and paid a professional to do a job for you because you weren't sure you could do it yourself, and he reassured you that he did a good job, it'll be completely your fault when it turns out he actually did a terrible job? And you'd have nobody to blame but yourself when he refuses to take even the slightest bit of responsibility and pride for his workmanship?

wtf?

The point is the shop told him it was ok. Because the OP went there, to do a job for him that he couldn't do. That's like me blaming you for going to a bad doctor when you couldn't diagnose yourself.

Get off his back.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #41
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post

wait... so he paid someone to mount it... it shouldn't have started to come off in the first place, he brought it back with concern and he was sent on his way... that dosnt sound like his fault, if it was done right the first time, it wouldn't come off in the first place
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #42
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 5 Times in 1 Post
lack of screws, lack of tape, lack of skills for install, lack of time for install, and a lip that doesn't fit well.
a bad combo. some bodyshops will not install aftermarket bodykits or they will but will not guarentee it due to quality and fit of the parts.
Ive install a few ground FX from Roush on to Mustangs and they fit perfect and ive never had one fall off or scratch the bumper like yours did.
You get what you pay for.
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #43
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Im kind of with Falcon here

Quote:
The day I went to go pick up my car after the kit had been installed, I noticed things wrong with every single piece.
he noticed problems from the get go but didn't do anything about it he bares some responsibility

Having said that though a shop should be responsible for it's work, after all that's their bread and butter and most of all their namesake and as we know your name is everything (chris dorner)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #44
RS controls my life!

Thanked 2,054 Times in 222 Posts
Failed 5 Times in 2 Posts
If this is in fact Andrew from the old Park Collision. I don't know what to say.

I myself had quite a lot of work done on a few cars from Andrew and Tommy back at Park Collision days (5+ years ago) and the jobs were all very well done, even after many years I didn't notice any shoddy work and I had no complaints.
prelude_prince is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #45
is best wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude_prince View Post
If this is in fact Andrew from the old Park Collision. I don't know what to say.

I myself had quite a lot of work done on a few cars from Andrew and Tommy back at Park Collision days (5+ years ago) and the jobs were all very well done, even after many years I didn't notice any shoddy work and I had no complaints.
I've never dealt with him personally but from stories I hear, it seems that every shop he's been working at, has been brought down and closed since he's been employed. I believe he used to be at Hugh auto body before as well.

Funny enough, I've been told he doesn't get complaints either
Old 02-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #46
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,047 Times in 790 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
My lip is held on by about 8 screws and it's nearly come off a few times. Not from scraping or anything though, more so unavoidable road debris
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #47
RS controls my life!

Thanked 2,054 Times in 222 Posts
Failed 5 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
I've never dealt with him personally but from stories I hear, it seems that every shop he's been working at, has been brought down and closed since he's been employed. I believe he used to be at Hugh auto body before as well.

Funny enough, I've been told he doesn't get complaints either
Ouch. Yeah I've been out of the scene in Van. Only dealt with Andrew back at Park Collision, and yeah as stated, had no troubles like OP is having (my cars and some friends whom I refered to). I've been fuc ked over by some shops before and I always make it my motion to let people around me know their shit practices so they don't get fucked over as well. I have quite a lot of dirt on some places muahaha. But Andrew was always cool to me so I actually refered friends and family there often.

Also I never confirmed it but I always assumed Andrew was part-owner back at Park.
prelude_prince is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #48

Thanked 5,428 Times in 864 Posts
Failed 36 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
When I had someone TRY to break into my Audi and completely fuck up my door handle/key hole.. All work was done by "Donn Dean Collision" in Burnaby. I actually signed papers that guaranteed ALL work for the lifetime of the car. So if the door started to even sag/squeak or anything, I could take it back.
On the contrary, I had quite a negative experience at Donn Dean. Ended up having to bring the car back multiple times for paint runs, missed sections of clear coat, and dust/dirt in the paint. Yes they redid the issues when I pointed them out, but you would think they'd look over their work before handing the keys and have a certain quality they'd adhere to after multiple returns. Haven't been back since.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/53313...shop-woes.html
Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Im kind of with Falcon here

he noticed problems from the get go but didn't do anything about it he bares some responsibility.

Having said that though a shop should be responsible for it's work, after all that's their bread and butter and most of all their namesake and as we know your name is everything (chris dorner)
I did tell him everything that i had an issue with but other than siliconing the rear spats he wasn't willing to fix anything else, becsuse he didnt find any of those issues i had poined out to be a legitimate problem in his eyes, no matter how I put it. I didnt aggressively force him to fix anything but i did express how unhappy i was. Only reason i didnt force him was because i thought that if we had a good relationship then he woulf be more willing to fix any problems that came up later
But apparently not
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #50
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate here... Three months after installing a front lip, I'm surprised at any shop that would offer any sort of guarantee on it. To look at it from the shop's point of view, you could have hung the lip on a concrete barrier while parking and ripped the screws part way out in the process. This could have caused the lip to fall off while at speed. (Hell, I don't even have a front lip on my car and my front bumper rubs on pretty much everything I come across. I'm positive any sort of lip I'd put on would be torn off within a week. )

BTW, I'm not saying this happened; it's merely a view that a body shop may take.

It's one thing to warranty body work or a paint job as it's pretty easy to tell when something is a result of poor workmanship or from the driver's lack of judgment. However, a front lip is subject to a lot of things and can be easily affected by the smallest of them all.

That said, two screws and a patch of 3M tape does seem a little sketchy...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: