REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,616 Times in 3,577 Posts
Failed 1,506 Times in 644 Posts
Massive Nascar crash 28 people injured including fans

Just happened a few hours ago. Some fans in critical condition. Might be a delay in the Daytona 500.

More info and video of the accident here:

Y! SPORTS

Quote:
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla – At least 28 fans were injured after a violent crash at Daytona International Speedway Saturday caused debris from a race car to fly into the grandstands. Fourteen were taken to area hospitals. Two are listed in critical condition. One of those suffered a head injury, the other is a child. Both are stable, according to Byron Cogdell, a spokesman at Halifax Health.
At least nine ambulances rushed to the rear of the Campbell Grandstand as emergency workers scurried to help fans injured in the rows closest to the track after Kyle Larson's car violently tore through the fence, leaving his engine and tire behind. Other safety workers evacuated the scene of race fans.

Kyle Larson's car (32) gets airborne during a multi-car wreck at Daytona. (AP)
In the front row of the grandstand about 20 feet past where Larson's engine had stuck, emergency responders wearing firesuits and helmets tended to several fans sitting on old metal chairbacks. Stretchers were being rolled in from ambulances arriving behind the grandstands while police and other track security ushered fans from the scene.
"We responded appropriately according to our safety protocols and had emergency medical personnel at the incident immediately," track president Joie Chitwood said. "We're in the process of repairs to the facility and will be ready to go racing tomorrow."
The accident occurred as drivers raced toward the checkered flag of the Drive4COPD 300 in NASCAR's Nationwide Series. Regan Smith was leading the race, but got turned as he approached the finish line. That sparked a multi-car accident that sent Larson's car flying into the air. Tony Stewart won the race, but refused to celebrate in victory lane.
Fans were both shocked and gawking at the accident scene that happened just minutes before when Larson's car got airborne and hit nose first in the catchfence designed to keep fans safe. His car spun wildly to the infield and came to rest with the nose of the car completely torn off, leaving two major support poles bent and a smoking, flaming mess. Fans, about ten rows up, quickly waved to emergency personnel for assistance after a tire apparently had flown through the metallic netting, landing in Row 9.
"It was like a war zone there," said fan Terry Huckaby, whose brother Eddie was hit in the leg by a three-foot piece of metal. Terry used his belt as a tourniquet to stop the bleeding.
One woman wearing a Jimmie Johnson shirt appeared to have a foot injury as she was wheeled on a gurney to a waiting ambulance. An older man, wearing an oxygen mask while laying on a stretcher, also appeared to have suffered a leg injury. Another gurney transported a man in a neck support wearing a sling over his left arm. All appeared to be conscious.
"The engine came right through the fence, injuring about six people," said a Daytona International Speedway supervisor, speaking under the condition of anonymity.

Kyle Larson's engine burns behind the wall and safety fence that he hit along the front grandstands. (AP)
He also said a tire hit one spectator and that others had suffered burns from the hot fluids the spewed from the engine.
"Right now, it's just a function of determining what damage is done," NASCAR president Mike Helton said in an interview on ESPN. "They're moving some folks to care centers and to Halifax [hospital]."
Dewey Goodwin, from Tampa, Fla., was walking in along the frontstretch when the accident erupted on the last lap.
"I was coming this way to see the end of the race, and it happened right there," Goodwin said. "I didn't know 15 cars were gonna come sideways and all blown up. I was like 'Ah, man, that ain't no good.' "
Jason Daniels of Orlando, Fla., was attending the race with his wife and two kids. They were seated just a few rows above the accident scene.
"There were some people that were saying it hit a camera person who was sitting right there, but I didn't see that," Daniels said. "I've never seen anything like that."
Despite the incident that shredded the catchfence near the start-finish line, Chitwood said they do not expect any changes for Sunday's 55 running of the Daytona 500.
"We don't anticipate moving any of our fans," Chitwood said. "We expect to go racing tomorrow with no changes."
It was the second time in two years that a race at Daytona had a last lap melee that sent a vehicle spinning into the metal catchfence. Last year, Joey Coulter crashed his Camping World Truck Series vehicle about 300 yards from the sight of Saturday's accident scene, sending parts and pieces into the stands. Neither Coulter nor Larson were injured in their violent crashes.
Advertisement

Last edited by Graeme S; 02-23-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: added content
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
Crazy.

I don't know the rules in Nascar but what happens to #7 since he was in the lead and the car behind him took him out of the race?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 165 Times in 32 Posts
i don't think it matters who was in the lead, no one watches nascar for the racing. they watch it for things like this
[22-02, 21:43] ?uestlove i personally find it very attractive when women have stinky farts.
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 86 Posts
I was watching it live on TV.. btw this crazy shit happened literally just at the end of the last turn on the last lap (checkered flag) so the race was pretty much over by then. There was a 10 car crash with just five laps left in the race too..

The #7 car got caught up in the mess and went flying up... engine and tires completely severed off, engine stayed thankfully just on the spectator side of the fence, one of the tires went FLYING into the stands..

According to some tweets, some people had chunks of metal fly at them and lets just say it wasn't pretty.

Pretty much, it was a restart after the 10-car pile up with 5 laps to go... and then all the cars were pretty much bumper to bumper drafting and pushing for position... one car made a move from behind so obviously the one in front didn't let him through and he got clipped in the right rear and slid right into the barricade and the rest was history...

From the interviews of some of the racers, they said they pretty much couldn't do much and they just floored the throttle to get through the pile to finish for points and the highest finish they could.. obviously they were all going for the win

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
Just a few days after Antron Brown's crash

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 86 Posts
holy FUCK.

not even a meter away from the flying tire, might get taken down tho

unofficial numbers are 17 injured, 2 in critical condition, none dead yet

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
Impressive move by Smith to get into first for the last lap, at least.

Hope the two in critical condition get better soon.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Failed 296 Times in 68 Posts
that's fucking crazy, reminds me of final destination with the nascar scene.
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Failed 192 Times in 75 Posts
People often joke about Nascar fans only wanting to see crashes, and drivers and professionals often defend nascar, saying that it's about the racing, the science the sport...

But then there's the video that NRR posts, where you can see the crash beginning, and the guy who's filming says "Aw yeah, there we go!"

Yep. We live in a world where there exists a constant culture for violence and death. Hooray!
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,389 Posts
Failed 376 Times in 130 Posts
Injured number has climbed to "at least 30"

AP News: Dozens hurt after Daytona crash debris hits stands
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 165 Times in 32 Posts
mad props to whoever is fabbing those roll cages
[22-02, 21:43] ?uestlove i personally find it very attractive when women have stinky farts.
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Failed 1,234 Times in 307 Posts
the #22 car went to the side and clipped #7, looks like
Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 14 Times in 11 Posts
lol at the guy that kept holding his phone the whole time while everyone was ducking..
cctw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Failed 298 Times in 88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
People often joke about Nascar fans only wanting to see crashes, and drivers and professionals often defend nascar, saying that it's about the racing, the science the sport...

But then there's the video that NRR posts, where you can see the crash beginning, and the guy who's filming says "Aw yeah, there we go!"

Yep. We live in a world where there exists a constant culture for violence and death. Hooray!
That's exactly it. Of course it sucks that fans not involved in the race were injured, and I know their natural reactions when the debris comes over and hurt people is to be shocked and treat the situation like a natural disaster of some kind...

But honestly, it's really hard to have sympathy when this is what people are WANTING to happen and it's where people have CHOSEN to be. The reality is, cages of hot metal and rubber are flying around the track, and eventually someone is bound to get hurt. In fact, as stated in the video Graeme mentioned, they WANT it to happen.

It's the same feeling when people post Fail Compilation Videos of people doing tricks or stupid shit like a backflip off of a roof and land on their tailbone, then everyone rushes in while he's screaming in pain. ZERO sympathy from me.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote