REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 03-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Strata gave a 1 year rental exemption and it's nearly up

My condo has rental restrictions but my strata gave me a 1 year rental exemption. It's rented now but the 1 year will be up soon.

The exemption simply says "we give xxx a 1 year rental exemption". Presumably this would mean a 1 year exemption for new tenants or current tenants although maybe one could interpret it as 1 year exemption for accepting 'new rentals'.

I'm tempted to ask strata for clarification but I fear this is one of those 'don't ask don't tell things'. If I ask for clarification then what they say will apply to everyone in the future and they'll be tempted to tell me no. If I don't ask, than as long as the tenants isn't causing any problems, I suspect they wouldn't say anything. The third option is to apply for a rental exemption for the current tenants but again, it falls into that don't ask don't tell area.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Director of RS Cares

Failed 107 Times in 22 Posts
It would help if you would let us know what the rental restriction is to fully understand what the issue is...

And I'm moving this to the correct forum.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #3

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
There's no rentals allowed in the building. They gave me a '1 year exemption'.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 20 Times in 7 Posts
Were the rental restrictions amended after you became title owner?

The rental exemption is approved by council, though the time limited exemption is usually because strata is expecting the rental to be short term (circumstances with an immediate family member needing to rent there, owner selling, hardship, etc).

If strata had to approve you for the exemption, they'll know when it expires and if you're still renting, expect warnings and monthly fines if they will not give you another exemption.

Why did they give you an exemption anyway? There had to be a legitimate reason.

Posted via RS Mobile
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Failed 441 Times in 145 Posts
Am now waiting for the "How to evict my tenants because strata won't allow rentals" thread to pop up any time
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would expect they would extend this each year if you bring it up. Assuming your tenants have been well behaved.

Honestly, it seems like strata council meetings are more reactionary than pro-active on topics like that. I would guess they have forgotten all about it and no one wrote it down in their calendar to follow up on the expiry. Really, assuming you attended the strata AGM, you would only need to worry if owners were complaining about rentals.
DasHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #7

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
It was a hardship exemption. The hardship may not apply now, but point being, the people there do not want to move. Once they move out I have no problem selling the unit or leaving it vacant.

I'll give the management company a call 'off the record' to see what they think.
votrechien is offline   Reply With Quote