REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 473 Times in 132 Posts
Sports therapy recommendation

Does anyone have any recommendation to a sports therapist to visit? Basically my family doctor referred me to a sports therapist at UBC, but the wait is 2 months from now and i am in pain.

Whats happening now is i am experiencing pain from my right butt down my whole right leg, especially the rear of the leg and near the knee/joint area. If i sit down for some time and get up, my whole right leg would be very, very numb. This is starting to interfere with my work as i need to stand 8hrs straight with breaks in between, yet i cannot enjoy my breaks due to the pain from standing AND sitting. Each day after getting a good rest my leg would hurt less, but after 8 hrs at work id be limping home from the pain.

My family doctor took x rays of my hip and said that everythings normal, and he suspects its "sports tendonitis?" where the tendons r inflammed BUT i cannot take any anti inflammatory drugs since im allergic to NASIDS, so im screwed.

This had been going on for abt 3 months n it hasnt gotten any better so i would like to visit another sports therapist instead of waiting that 2 months.

ps: does MSP cover this?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Failed 421 Times in 103 Posts
sounds like sciatica... what sports therapist at ubc? allan mcgavin? they are very good there.. they have locations in downtown as well. physio is usually covered under extended health.. msp might cover a portion if you make less than x amount, net per year.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because you said pain is in the glute and travels down to the knee and only happens when you sit down for long periods, it could be piriformis tendonitis. Most people have their sciatic nerve run under the piriformis muscle, so when that gets tight it can cause a compression on that nerve. Seeing a physio or massage therapist will be ok I think. and MSP covers people who make under $29,000 a year. You still have to pay a user fee. Hope you feel better
Old 04-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 47 Times in 8 Posts
I would second UBC phsyio, allan mcgavin clinic in the basement of war memorial gym. Scott is a great guy and knows his stuff. He's worked with all types of athletes and injuries but isn't just limited to athletic type injuries. I used to use him when I was a varsity athlete at ubc. I would also recommend marc rizzardo. His clinic is right in front of metro town. The dude is simply awesome getting you back to 100%. Him and scott have both worked with the canadian olympic squads so you'll be in safe hands. Pick either.

I can't say anything about pricing, don't know. Mine was covered through extended health or maybe msp because I was a student with no income?? I never had to deal with any paper work.
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,373 Times in 4,662 Posts
Failed 436 Times in 279 Posts
+1 to UBC Physio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
based on my haircut, maybe
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 473 Times in 132 Posts
im not sure if im being refer to the same therapist as all of u mentioning here, if i recall the therapist's name was asian lol.

n to clarify, my leg goes completely numb if i stand up from sitting for arnd 10mins. majority of the time id have to stand during my 8hr shift, and as i get closer to the 8hrs, the pain gets worst, specially the knee/joint, hip/butt area. during my breaks i sit down for 10 or so mins and stand up, my leg would go complete numb, the same tingling feeling u get from sitting on ur legs for too long
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote