REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Failed 17 Times in 4 Posts
Front License Plate

Gents,

I received a warning for no front license plate over the weekend. First time I've had a problem in the 4 years I've been in BC.

No front license plate is $109 but the officer verbally told me that if I was caught after the warning it was $598 or something absurd.

Can anyone clarify if it goes up after a first offence/warning or is it the same $109 ding each time?

Cheers
Advertisement
AuZZZie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,779 Times in 957 Posts
Failed 217 Times in 61 Posts
i say it depends on the discretion of the officer..but then again i'd GUESS 1-2 times would be 109$ , the 3rd time its 50/50 , and more tickets after that for the SAME offence, you SHOULD be getting dinged more as you obviously think you're above the law lol and by you i mean people in general, not YOU op lol

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,373 Times in 4,662 Posts
Failed 436 Times in 279 Posts
Breaking the law. Yes, I know. It's absurd to be punished and fined.

Sigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
based on my haircut, maybe
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #4

I have no problem with the ticket. I'm asking for clarification on the amounts for people with experience. Reading comprehension really isn't strong in the youth of today is it?

Fine amounts are not at the discretion of the officer. We have a judicial system and structured traffic offence violations for a reason. They don't just make up amounts based on your history for these kind of things.
I may or may not run a front plate. I'm undecided. They destroy the lines of my car, but I may end up doing it anyway. That is irrelevant.

I assumed there would be a number of people on here familiar with the front license plate laws and if they in fact increase after a warning/first offence. I'm not disputing the legality or the ticket. I can bold that and add some pretty colours if necessary?
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Failed 1,234 Times in 307 Posts
BC requires both front and back...
Go to alberta and register your car there if you dont want the front plates

ICBC has a page containing the fines
But these are still not the final... its USUALLY at the officers discretion, I believe

"Motor Vehicle Act section 3.02
Improper display of plate
$230"
Old 07-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Failed 1,163 Times in 238 Posts
Police Forum - Vancouver's Top Classifieds and Automotive Forum - REVscene.net would probably serve you better. Also try visiting the ICBC website they have a list of all the tickets and their fines. I don't think any fine really has a stacking amount for each offence.. repeat offences would probably influence the officer from either giving you a warning or giving you a ticket.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
Police Forum - Vancouver's Top Classifieds and Automotive Forum - REVscene.net would probably serve you better. Also try visiting the ICBC website they have a list of all the tickets and their fines. I don't think any fine really has a stacking amount for each offence.. repeat offences would probably influence the officer from either giving you a warning or giving you a ticket.
That is where I got the $109 amount from. I've also never heard of a fine that increased with consecutive violations, but as I have no familiarity with this particular law I thought I'd ask. I figured there would be a quite a few chaps that just take the ticket, pay it and be on there way. Much like an exhaust or tint ticket.

As it turns out, Revscene are all upstanding scholars and all vehicles owned by its members comply with each and every Motor Vehicle Act Regulation. Eye opening for sure....

Thanks for the link, I don't frequent here often and I should have skimmed the sections better.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,512 Times in 1,157 Posts
Failed 212 Times in 81 Posts
Attitude and sarcasm aren't going to get you anywhere.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Failed 421 Times in 103 Posts
LOL. you've definitely made a good impression with your first 3 posts. A simple google would have probably answered your question. The only offence I can think of, off the top of my head is Driving without insurance. A normal infraction should not increase in price each time, but ICBC may ding you for points, which are associated with fines.

Was it a verbal warning, or a notice in order? If it is a NO, then you have X amount of days to get whatever it is corrected, or else the fine is a few hundred bucks.

Improper display of plate is 230 which is what people who put their front plate behind the windshield should get.

No number plate could be used to charge under this circumstance since you required to have 2, which is 109

Last edited by Spidey; 07-15-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
LOL. you've definitely made a good impression with your first 3 posts. A simple google would have probably answered your question. The only offence I can think of, off the top of my head is Driving without insurance. A normal infraction should not increase in price each time, but ICBC may ding you for points, which are associated with fines.

Was it a verbal warning, or a notice in order? If it is a NO, then you have X amount of days to get whatever it is corrected, or else the fine is a few hundred bucks.

Improper display of plate is 230 which is what people who put their front plate behind the windshield should get.

No front plate could be used to charge under this circumstance since you required to have 2, which is 109
Google didn't get me too far unfortunately. I honestly thought this would be a common scenario in the tuner community and those with more time in BC than myself could answer it no worries.

It's a written warning but with no section codes on it, but it's definitely for the lack of the front plate not improper display (odd how having the plate displayed incorrectly is more expensive than not having it at all).
Old 07-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
It's got me by in my life thus far. Thanks for your concern though.

I asked a simple question, people chose to either not read, or lack the intelligence to read what I wrote correctly. If by setting the record straight that is considered attitude, then so be it.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuZZZie View Post
Google didn't get me too far unfortunately. I honestly thought this would be a common scenario in the tuner community and those with more time in BC than myself could answer it no worries.

It's a written warning but with no section codes on it, but it's definitely for the lack of the front plate not improper display (odd how having the plate displayed incorrectly is more expensive than not having it at all).
having a piece of metal behind a windshield or a loose plate outside a car is a SERIOUS hazard that could lead to possibly severed limbs or decapitation. nothing on your vehicle should be loose anyways in case it flies off and strikes anything/one.

The warning is for no front plate, which if you were charged, would be for "no number plate"
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
I agree with this 100%. No need for it
Posted via RS Mobile
MikeHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 203 Posts
Quote:
having a piece of metal behind a windshield or a loose plate outside a car is a SERIOUS hazard that could lead to possibly severed limbs or decapitation. nothing on your vehicle should be loose anyways in case it flies off and strikes anything/one.

The warning is for no front plate, which if you were charged, would be for "no number plate"
I consistently see license plates sitting against a windshield, and always laugh.

The choice to place a sharp piece of metal at head/neck level in a moving vehicle is darwinism at its finest.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Makes perfect sense now you mention it.

Easy bunch to get a rise out of. While it's been a blast, I've received my answer from a reputable source so figured I would share for any other master mind criminals looking to evade police or run over puppies and small children as insinuated by the glowing response to this thread.

It's a $109 ticket each and every time. There is no sliding scale. So the officer either had a couple too many with lunch or was just trying to put the fear of god in me.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,835 Times in 987 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 60 Posts
i smell a troll. or maybe just an idiot..
Old 07-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #17
I am on the internets

Failed 129 Times in 31 Posts
109 everytime, pay it in 30 days and its 85 or something. no points. its the price for looking nice.
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #18
I don't get it

Failed 70 Times in 18 Posts
Why is he a troll? Even if its his 1st. Post, u all jumped the ship to rag in him ABOUT a fucking license plate haha... Love how revscene turns into your parent as soon as u ask something, about something you shouldn't be doing lol.
Posted via RS Mobile
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #19
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 46 Times in 18 Posts
Lol some cops are just dickbags, especially the ones in Richmond.

Had a license plate in the front bumper mounted securely, was slightly recessed into a vent. The cop said the license plate can't be seen by a red light camera clearly so he gave me a $196 ticket. I laughed and disputed.
mikey2781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx View Post
109 everytime, pay it in 30 days and its 85 or something. no points. its the price for looking nice.
This man gets it.

I did not know about the discount within 30 days though. Good to know.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #21
I am on the internets

Failed 129 Times in 31 Posts
for those who didnt know, the fine is higher and you get points of the plate is modified (bent, sticker, whatever) or is in your windshield. so just keep it in the trunk or home or whatever
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2781 View Post

Had a license plate in the front bumper mounted securely, was slightly recessed into a vent. The cop said the license plate can't be seen by a red light camera clearly so he gave me a $196 ticket. I laughed and disputed.
He was a decent bloke. No complaints there. Even gave me the green light to take a leak on the side of the road during the traffic stop.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #23
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline129 View Post
Why is he a troll? Even if its his 1st. Post, u all jumped the ship to rag in him ABOUT a fucking license plate haha... Love how revscene turns into your parent as soon as u ask something, about something you shouldn't be doing lol.
Posted via RS Mobile
until they realize heir exhaust is illegal,, their coil overs are, hell even their wheels arnt deemed safe by icbc for road use either

dont believe me? check the box on the parts you buy. "off road use only"

i personally would run a front plate.. but mine is bent up anyways. as already posted above an officer cant just make up a number for the ticket he/she wants to give.. if he/she was in a really bad mood he/she could find other things wrong with the car and give a VI for it..

ps im not saying not running a front plate is good.. but most the cars on this forum wouldnt pass a VI in their current state.. lets not be so quick to judge
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #24
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 16 Times in 2 Posts
if we want to get technical, any modification to your vehicle is illegal. Since cars are safety tested with oem parts...
negative.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #25
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx View Post
for those who didnt know, the fine is higher and you get points of the plate is modified (bent, sticker, whatever) or is in your windshield. so just keep it in the trunk or home or whatever
Did you read the previous replies I made? BTW, there aren't any points associated with "improper display of plate" $230

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2781 View Post

so Richmond cops are especially dickbags because of the one encounter, or was that just one example of many experiences?

btw,

Plates to be unobstructed

3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the Act.

If you live in Richmond, or drive in Richmond often, you would understand why RCMP there have little tolerance for bad drivers/driving infractions in the city... Not to mention a good percentage are driving while prohibited/no DL/ or milking off an international licence they should have transferred to e BC licence years ago.

Last edited by Spidey; 07-15-2013 at 06:01 PM.
This post thanked by: