REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #26
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
It drives beautifully. One thing that has me questioning is its a 2014 and already has 218kms from test drives. I know how some people drive during a test drive but a new engine should be broken in a bit.

I don't think it's the track pack? Has 3.31 gears. Not to worried about the gears. Gears are affordable.

Comes with Nitto invo's 255/35 upfront and 295/35 in the rear, steeda panhard, steeda caster/camber plates, steeda lowering Springs, roush fogs, grill, axle back and front splitter, Avant garde m510 20" wheels.

I will wait and see how much extra the seats and brakes are.
Posted via RS Mobile
warning: rambling long response here.

the 6-speed getrag is assembled in china. yes, china. there were a lot of quality control issues which resulted in early 2011 models eating gears and causing owners a lot of grief. it's supposed to be better now. regardless, take it for a long test drive in the city with lots of gearchanges to make sure it's good and someone didn't thrash it in those 218kms... there is a youtube vid of a salesperson powershifting a GT500 down a back road somewhere.

(if you do buy this, the first mod you should do is go underneath and unplug the 1/4 skip shift solenoid on the trans, and go find a barton or steeda shfiter with an stiffer mount. you can thank me later.)

engine wise i have heard of many owners experiencing a ticking sound from the engine similar to injector sounds, but it isn't, and it's loud. some have had their engines replaced under warranty, and others are still fighting with ford with the issue unresolved. i've also heard of flywheel issues with the bolts backing out and doing all sorts of bad bad things

the steeda parts are nice, but i see no shocks listed. from what you say this is not a brembo track pack car, so it dosen't have the upgraded shocks. you might want to upgrade that a later point because the stock shocks can't keep up.

if you are getting brembo calipers, you will need a gt500 or boss 302 brake booster. if you do just the brakes alone it's going to feel not quite right afterwards... but it will still work.

also, remember the brembo calipers eat up a lot of space, so those wheels might not fit afterwards. check beforehand. better pads/rotors/brake fluids on the stock brakes are a definite improvement, but this is still a ~3600lb car and is no honda civic... so tie a boat anchor to something, throw it out the window and hope for the best.

2014 gt500 6-piston conversions (including rotors) can be found online used/dealer take-off for $1kusd and up. some have the rear conversion as well for added cost.

i may have my facts wrong, but if you checked off the option for recaros when ordering a GT from the factory, it's a $500 extra. if you are getting them from ford racing, it's almost $2700-3000usd plus shipping (ground freight), and it dosen't come in leather, and has no power adjustment. also, ordering the recaros means the cold weather package heated seats will not be there. but if you don't drive in the winter then no big deal. otherwise, the recaros are a big improvement over the stock seats, and without the power assist junk they are very light for an airbag seat. also you won't have to deal with the stock seat headrest pushing your helmet forward (ford says adjustable? not).

nitto invos are one of the cheapest tires available in the 20 inch size (but cheap 20" tires can cost as much as really good 19" tires) because there are not many choices available for the mustang unfortunately. it's a great tire for cruising around on, but if you like to push it a lot they can't handle the power and weight the mustang has and are a bit unpredictable.

i think the only other option for gearing was 3.73 if ordered from factory (not 100% sure). ford racing sells other FD ratios. expect real world 12-14L/100kms combined "normal" driving with the 3.73. again, if you hammer it all the time, 18-20L/100kms in consumption is not unexpected. this is on premium unleaded.

if you already test drove it, then you know that roush axlebacks have no packing/insulation in them and are pretty much resonated-only. it sounds great, neighbors will hate you and cops will love you for helping them with their noise violation ticket quotas.

from the pictures shown, that car might have an almost 2" drop? an adjustable UCA and new rear lowers are recommended, otherwise you might get that clunk someone posted about on the upshift because being lowered so much has changed the pinion angle too much, and a lot of wheel hop.

the sn197 is a good chassis compared to previous generations, but like many other cars with suspension mods, you're going to get a lot of creaks and rattles with it (again, it's a ford, not a honda), especially with the live rear axle. but then again you would probably not hear anything over those roush axlebacks lol.

someone said backup sensors... a definite yes. you can also get an oem backup camera for it as well. it's normally mounted in the non-pedestal spoiler above the center brake light in the trunk lid, and if you don't have the myfordtouch navi screen, it will display in the center mirror.

oh yeah, about buying a 2014... i'm still on the fence. the new one is supposedly coming out next year. spyphotos are everywhere, including the gt350. with the shorter size, less weight, and the new IRL, many are holding back from buying the current model or holding on to what they have now. there could be a lot of trade-ins in the next year or two and resale values could take a big dive... but then again, if the new mustang turns out to look like a truncated 2-door rwd fusion or the equivalent of the ford probe from back in the 1990's, the sn197 may be the last decent mustang (doubtful).

anyone else? i may have gotten some facts wrong... sold as is your mileage may vary blah blah
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 09-25-2013 at 01:34 PM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #27
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,848 Times in 596 Posts
Failed 31 Times in 13 Posts
damn that mustang looks sick
love the colour
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #28
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
im actually surprised at the outcome of this thread. no trolling just straight up real answers...

Spoiler!
my civic would eat this thing!

better?

ps ive never been a fan of mustangs, but this actually looks pretty good!
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #29
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,877 Times in 3,885 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
That price is ludicrous. I know I just ordered a '14 focus ST because I felt the stang was overpriced. There was a grabber blue 5.0 at key west, it had no recaro's, no track pack, and it was an auto. AND THEY STILL WANTED $45,000 for it. What a joke

Edit: thumper is bang on
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #30
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
That price is ludicrous. I know I just ordered a '14 focus ST because I felt the stang was overpriced. There was a grabber blue 5.0 at key west, it had no recaro's, no track pack, and it was an auto. AND THEY STILL WANTED $45,000 for it. What a joke

Edit: thumper is bang on
Posted via RS Mobile
what a ripoff.

it's gone now, but one of the ford dealers in surrey was advertising a brand new heavily discounted 6spd 2014 GT with the track pack/myfordtouch/backup camera/recaros... basically everything but the glass roof for $47k. and pioneer chrysler is selling an unregistered 2013 boss 302 with recaros and the optional torsen diff for $48-49k (car was won in some contest and the winner dosen't want it)?

if you are going to buy a ford, do it with the employee discounts, costco membership discount ($1k), year end reductions, and any other rebates you can find, otherwise you're going to get screwed.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 09-25-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #31
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,158 Times in 391 Posts
Failed 86 Times in 38 Posts
I was more so frustrated with all the wasted time. If they would have told me off the bat the price of 34k was if the car was stock then I would have walked away. Oh well.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Posted via RS Mobile
TjAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #32
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
I was more so frustrated with all the wasted time. If they would have told me off the bat the price of 34k was if the car was stock then I would have walked away. Oh well.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Posted via RS Mobile
rough estimate but my guess is that the mods are about $6-7k on the high side? and then labor to install @$100+/hr? ugh...
Old 09-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #33
Witness protection

this is why you should save your pennies...

This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #34
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Failed 643 Times in 181 Posts
^ damn that's an old school american exhaust note, love it.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #35
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
^ damn that's an old school american exhaust note, love it.
the current mustang is outgunned against the top spec camaro's available right now. this car is ford's declaration of war against the z/28 and zl-1, so they should enjoy it while it lasts.

(waiting for timpo to give his GT-R spiel again)
Old 09-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #36

^^ although the top spec camaro may be slightly faster, i still feel the interior, build quality and general design are still all the best in the mustang. I won't even bother mentioning the challenger (I love the looks but id never want to own one)

Just FYI, I've been a mustang hater all my life with the exception of the newest few years. And the last generation body style in saleen trim in red (thanks gran turismo 3)
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #37
Witness protection

Quote:
^^ although the top spec camaro may be slightly faster, i still feel the interior, build quality and general design are still all the best in the mustang. I won't even bother mentioning the challenger (I love the looks but id never want to own one)

Just FYI, I've been a mustang hater all my life with the exception of the newest few years. And the last generation body style in saleen trim in red (thanks gran turismo 3)
Posted via RS Mobile
if the camaro had a better translation of retro styling for the interior i would say it was better than the mustang, but it isn't. i'm not sure if i can say the mustang has better design (tupperware door cards, useless cupholders, no dead pedal?!?), especially if you just stepped out of an acura, bmw, etc. (or even a ford focus ST), but it's light years ahead of the 05-09 models.

from the spyhots floating around, the interior has been completely redesigned. they want to sell this car in europe (there are RHD models being tested) so fingers crossed.

Last edited by thumper; 09-26-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #38
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,389 Posts
Failed 376 Times in 130 Posts
Mustang GT or M3
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #39
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 11 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, the shape on the tail end on the '14 spyshot video looks way better than the current bubbly one.
c4@urdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
if the camaro had a better translation of retro styling for the interior i would say it was better than the mustang, but it isn't. i'm not sure if i can say the mustang has better design (tupperware door cards, useless cupholders, no dead pedal?!?), especially if you just stepped out of an acura, bmw, etc. (or even a ford focus ST), but it's light years ahead of the 05-09 models.

from the spyhots floating around, the interior has been completely redesigned. they want to sell this car in europe (there are RHD models being tested) so fingers crossed.
Hmm alright I suppose you are righ on the door card issue. The centre console where the mytouch is located is somewhat showing its age (compared to the rest of fords lineup, as they almost design the dash AROUND the 8" screen) but I didn't know the cup holders were useless lol. I do like the brushed aluminum accents though. I am surprised it doesn't come with any of the smart key or start button stuff.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #41
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Failed 115 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
anyone else notice how many wheels the semi-trailer had at 1:40? I've never seen so many wheels on a trailer

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #42
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
anyone else notice how many wheels the semi-trailer had at 1:40? I've never seen so many wheels on a trailer
makes you wonder what's inside...
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #43
Witness protection

Quote:
Hmm alright I suppose you are righ on the door card issue. The centre console where the mytouch is located is somewhat showing its age (compared to the rest of fords lineup, as they almost design the dash AROUND the 8" screen) but I didn't know the cup holders were useless lol. I do like the brushed aluminum accents though. I am surprised it doesn't come with any of the smart key or start button stuff.
Posted via RS Mobile
take one out for a test drive, stick your fresh hot starbucks grande americano in the cupholder and then go rip off a 1-2 gearchange and let your elbow enjoy your brew... afterwards, feel free to take advantage of ford's thoughtfulness in being able to change the MyColor LED accents to red inside said cupholders to reflect the pain from 3rd degree burns lol.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #44
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 4 Times in 3 Posts
looks real aggressive i like it
370z370z is offline   Reply With Quote